I disagree with the popular gloomy consensus

Suedesi

Oh and he scored a winning FA Cup screamer for you.
This line of thinking, that I often also when describing Bale at Madrid, does my head in. He scored a great goal once, therefore 174 mediocre performances should not count.

ryansgirl

I agree with what most of the OP wrote. We are still a club that some of the best talent will want to come to in order to win trophies at Britain's most successful sporting club of all time - Aaron WB - and young, potential such as Daniel J will sign on to hopefully fulfill it and be part of the club for a long time.

United has publicly held its nerve about Lukaku - no easy transfer to Inter, pay us what we are asking for, no thanks to Icardi - and Pogba. In the latter's case, Ole has played it very well. Cool when answering the media questions, not throwing Paul under the bus but insisting he is a wanted player.

United has answered Paul's arrogant, manipulative manager in the best way. The public position is yap in the media all you like but he's not going anywhere. To Real Madrid - nope, we're not pandering to you. Bale is your problem, not ours.
This is the way to go.

The current squad will improve and those who don't will be out the door but whinging about or slagging off Ole and the board because they can't offload Sanchez et al yet simply misunderstands the realities of having grossly over-priced footballers that nobody else wants for now.

Ole was not responsible for those signings and while people here are whinging about Ashley, Phil, etc they are forgetting salient facts such as having the experienced ones around while the young ones learn how to get better and become consistent team members. And since when have Ashley and Phil let United down? They may be nearing the end of their careers with us but they are professionals and behave like it.

Jesse Lingard under-performed in an under-performing squad. He will be much better in the new season. Somebody on a different thread said in other words Roy Keane would have had no time for him. I disagree - Roy would have hated the fashion and larking about, loved the work-rate and commitment. Both Jesse and Marcus I believe will enjoy making their haters eat their words. Ole will get the best from them because he will get the best from the squad.

Ole's approach should be commended, not slagged off. He has the emotional intelligence that Jose lacked. He knows how to manage players and he is showing it now.

The squad clearly lack fitness in parts thanks to Jose's style, so Ole should whip them into shape. The numpties moaning about 'running' haven't watched closely enough United games when players lost steam. Ole is a sophisticated man and he was a sophisticated player - he doesn't want United running like donkeys, he wants them to be in optimal fitness mode to give them every chance of closing games.

The more I hear Ole speak to the media, the more I like him as manager. He and United can't force certain things to happen at the moment but they are working on it. I don't want us to get McGuire - over-priced and rightly so as his club values him very highly - but I think we do have a chance of Fernandes and he will be very good for us.

Ole's approach reminds me of a very old story, 'He wins who waits'.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
A club like United who has a history of success has too many spoiled little bitches for fans and they infect every online forum they get their hands on. Like ok, criticism is fine, and it's well deserved. But there's a distance between that and the whining and complaining that's constantly on here.

My guess is that they are frustrated from their other failings in life and they project that anger in failure on the club and players.
tbf. When United was doing well they do also give you a bounce in your step regardless of how your professional or personal life is going. How did you feel all throughout the 1999 Triple Crown year? Same coin, different sides.

It's not as simple as a projection or deflection.

United is seen as one's personal identity and the belonging to a community for many folks.

lysglimt

Scout
I want to see Ole succeed and dont know if it is him or the board, but if the window was to shut now I would predict he will be sacked by Christmas and we are back to square one......there is still LOADS that needs to be done in the transfer market and barely any time to do it. For me there are only two things to be positive about at the moment 1) The signing of Bissaka, player I most wanted 12 months ago 2) having a couple of youngsters in Greenwood and Gomes that genuinely could be big players here, especially Greenwood.....but again and nothing to do with Ole, why has Gomes not been getting any games, its ages ago since he made the stunning cameo appearance for us on his debut
Do you honestly only see 2 positive things at the moment ? I can see 5-6-7
1) we are linked with the right players
2) we have one of the most talented sides in the League
3) we play a much more attacking football
4) the mood seems to be much better in the training ground
5) players all say they are much fitter
6) there will be 1 or 2 more players in - I am convinced
7) several players have signed new contracts - Rashford, McT and DeGea - 12 months ago that looked unlikely.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Look, it's all very well and good trying to be positive but this reminds me of the classic line from the Scouse "Boom or Bust" graphic. Something along the likes of "during pre-season the majority of Scousers convince themselves they are in fact the greatest team in the league, helped largely by the fact that no actual football is being played"

We've been a great pre-season side post SAF, problems begin when our opponents actually care about the result
Tbf. We are the reverse Scouse boom/bust. They would big up their injured players or players who have yet to kick the ball. Preseason they are eternally optimistic whereas half here are expecting fighting relegation. They have taken the blue pill and lots here have taken the red pill.

jesperjaap

Do you honestly only see 2 positive things at the moment ? I can see 5-6-7
1) we are linked with the right players
2) we have one of the most talented sides in the League
3) we play a much more attacking football
4) the mood seems to be much better in the training ground
5) players all say they are much fitter
6) there will be 1 or 2 more players in - I am convinced
7) several players have signed new contracts - Rashford, McT and DeGea - 12 months ago that looked unlikely.
DeGea signing a contract is definately a positive I will give you that one for sure.

Zeno

I see lots of positives right now and I’ve a generally positive outlook for the next few seasons. But it will be a bumpy road and I am concerned that there be moments of despair through the season. So how do we judge progress other than by simply looking at the latest result or looking in the trophy cabinet at the end of the season?

In short how do we maintain a positive outlook along this bumpy road? I will be looking for 3 things this year:

1. Lay down a marker. The opening game against chelsea is the most important game we will play this season. It’s our cup final - on match day 1.
2. Defensive stats. Average goals conceded of about 0.8 per game. Defensive solidity will bring confidence. Our attack is relatively young and they will need this space to develop and find an attacking rhythm that works.
3. Bouncebackability. How we respond to a defeat will be key. We need a team that is resilient.

Last edited: