I don't like the way Bruno takes penalties

Sad Chris

Can't the keeper just feint one way and go the other?
Even if there were a handful of keepers that could successfully feint that good and fast, the success rate of this shooting technique makes it worthwhile to stick with it.

Anybody remember Michael Kutzop, 1980s, Werder Bremen? Scored about 40 pens during his career with a delayed run-up. As far as I know, he only missed one — he hit the post. The most important one, that would‘ve sealed the league title, which they lost to Bayern a match later. Ironically, the player that was famous for his skills at scoring penalties will be forever remembered as the guy that missed that penalty.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
He hasnt missed since he was at Napoli apparently, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

hobbers

If they keep going in it won't matter. If he misses one then you have to ask the question.

Problem with Pogba's style is he missed a few and kept up with the daft run up.

And as with Bruno's, it didn't actually make the penalty more difficult to read. It was just flair for flair's sake.

thepolice123

If they keep going in it won't matter. If he misses one then you have to ask the question.

And as with Bruno's, it didn't actually make the penalty more difficult to read. It was just flair for flair's sake.
He has used the same exact technique in high-pressure situations. Yesterday was one example of that. You would have imagined his coaches would told him to cut that out if its really just for aesthetic purposes. And it doesn't look good to begin with.

It works because it works.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
What a ridiculous thread. The man has done it for a long time and trust me it works. Check his penalty vs PSV for example. You are trying to find a problem where there is none. I have never been more confident in someone taking a penalty at Sporting for a long time.

He will eventually miss as does everyone but I bet out of 10 penalties he misses one.

Let’s not try to fix something that is not broken!

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
That's a very good number which he converted but the level of the goalkeepers in Portugal is not so great.
I obviously still hope that his way of taking them will keep on baffling PL keepers! :D
The same thing was said about the opposition in Portugal but he is showing that had nothing to do with it with the start he is having.
The way he does it sends keepers the wrong way all the time.

cyril C

While it works 1st time and potentially work many time on some keeper, it can flop big time when they find you out. I don't like this neither, just keep it simple

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He can crawl in reverse while approaching the ball and hit it with his butt and I'll still be rooting for him as long as He scores.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Unlike Pogba's slow walk up which adds nothing but more pressure to himself, Bruno's technique seems to make the goalkeeper follow his awkward movements before hitting the ball. It throws the keeper off when He finally hits it. 200 IQ.

thepolice123

I can just see young Bruno doing this during his kickabouts whilst growing up. Quite how his father never turned around and told him to cut that out I'll never know. :D And if he started that whilst training with a club, how he got that through without being ridiculed to the point of changing it I also wonder. I blame the flair of the South Americans/all the fancy penalty takers the world has produced. Everyone should take penalties like Shearer and Scholes.
Mighty England and their smashing PKs.

Before 2018 only won one PK shootout in more than two decades. Coincidentally they lost twice against the "South Americans" Portugal and once against the Argies. :lol:

TRUERED89

He's converted 21 out of 23 penalties.
Yep as OP said he’s “lucky” HA. He said in his interview last night, that he doesn’t always take penalties like that anyway, he just felt it would work. Doesn’t Jorghinio take them like that too? Don’t think he’s missed any so far has he?

FireballXL5

Yeah, I'm furious he scored a penalty for us. I couldn't care less if he thwacked it in with his dick, or turned around and blew it in with a huge fart.
I mean, there's plenty to moan about, but a guy's penalty technique? Jeeeeez!

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Can take it however he likes aslong as the ball hits the back of the net.

SteveW

He's probably the best penalty taker we've had since Cantona going by his stats.

Maccataq

I don't like the way he creates chances or controls the midfield either, eventually we are just going to miss chances.

TRUERED89

I don't like the way any United player has taken a penalty since the time of Steve Bruce and Eric Cantona.
RVN, RVP, Rooney, Irwin, Martial, Rashford, Yorke? All took/take a run up and smash it. If you don’t like the stutter or the hop, none of these guys ever did that.

Last edited:

Jerome Holland

What a nothing thread, look at his conversion rate before you criticize. Let him rather take penalties like Kun that would go down well. The fact that this technique allows him time to adjust and change his mind is the reason it is successful.

Pughnichi

he’s waiting for the keeper to move. He then puts it the other side. He doesnt have to hit corners or be as accurate because he know the keeper is already committed.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'm a huge fan of that run up myself. Looked like he had full control over the strike until the end. If he mixes it up occasionally too and smashes a couple into the corner then he's going to make some keepers look daft not the other way around.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Most players miss penalties using the conventional technique, but people don't question whether they're using the right technique then. It was just poor execution or unlucky. Many top players miss many penalties using the conventional technique. But after 1 miss with an unconventional technique, people are ready to jump all over it.

The reality is that Pogba's run up made no difference to the quality of the penalty and his conversion rate over that time is better than many top players with a conventional approach. Fernandes and Jorginho are much better than the average penalty taker because their technique has obvious benefits.

It's purely about aesthetics and superstition. Football fans like to get angry and blame irrelevant things. Something that looks unusual is a prime target for that, even when the evidence demonstrates beyond any doubt that it is not the cause.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
For me he was MOTM today but i have some criticism of the way he takes penalties.

I watched him taking them for Sporting for some time before he joined us and he was very lucky in Portugal with a number of them and the 'help' of dodgy goalkeepers.
I knew exactly how and where he was going to kick this today and any PL goalkeeper who had seen his penalties before would have had a great chance of saving this one - the good thing is that Foster seems not to have watched him before.

The next penalty we'll get will be crucial for Bruno and, i feel, he should not continue with his hop prior to his kick as it takes the impetus off his penalty kick.
He waits for the goalkeeper to lean to one side, then puts it the other way. If Foster would have dived the other way, Bruno wouldn’t put the pen there. It’s similar to Jorginho’s technique, looks stupid when you miss, but is actually quite effective.