I don't like the way Bruno takes penalties

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
It's a matter of time, stay still, choose a side and you will probably save it. He's a good penalty taker but not unstoppable. I would argue Kane has the best technique as just blasts into the top corner, that's virtually impossible for a keeper to stop.
37 out of 44 apparently (Transfermarkt), 84%

Bruno 21 of 23. About 91% and slightly higher than Mendieta who I thought was one of the best.

HarryRedCrumbs

Luckily the internet is here to tell Bruno how to take his penalties, otherwise I don't know what he'd do...

Dion

Yes, but now more eyes will be on him. His run up is designed to make the keeper choose a direction so he can choose the opposite. Keepers can beat this by not committing until he hits the balls, which still makes it 50/50 but Bruno loses some of his advantage. If Bruno was able to generate more power into the shot so he could get it into the top corner he would be unstoppable.
That's the whole point of the technique though. That's what good penalty takers do.

Le Tissier was the master of it. All Bruno is doing is picking a spot hard and low, right in the corner. If the keeper doesn't dive early then he's basically never going to save it, if he does then Bruno simply does what he does and rolls it into the other side.

Pretty much all the penalty takers who are genuinely great (Le Tiss, Cantona, Hazard, Pirlo etc.) use this method because as long as you have a good, clean strike it's pretty much impossible for the goalkeeper.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
No, he's taken more orthodox ones too. He's spoken about how he doesn't always do it in interviews as well.
Aah okay, cheers. It's good that he mixes it up a bit so keepers can't predict that easily. I thought it was a bit strange if he'd taken 20+ pens all the same!

He could add a reverse pike with twist though, just to really feck with keepers heads.. :D

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It doesn’t looks good but as long as he keeps scoring, who cares.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I absolutely hate that he scores goals

marktan

It looks like it'd be easy to score if the keeper stayed in the middle, but the key is that he hits it with pace and accuracy each time. A goal is huge, if a keeper waits till he hits it, by the time they get down it'll already be in the back of the net.

Rojofiam

Has an incredible conversion rate from penalties, but people still find something to moan about...no wonder when he's inevitably going to miss one, people will attribute it to the way he takes them. :rolleyes:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Is not i dont like it, i just think is anti aesthetic.
It's ugly but it's worked for him so far. But yeah, the way he takes it reminds me of a kid I went to school with who couldn't play for shit. He always did a little hop before kicking a ball. :lol:

Heardy

Of all the shit United fans have moaned about in the last 5 years, this is the most ridiculous.

Taken 2 and scored 2 - but you’re worried about the “aesthetics”? feck me!!

Red00012

This is Ole’s fault, he doesn’t have the tactics know how to explain to Bruno how to take a penalty. If Ole was a good manager and he’s not because he managed Cardiff he should drop him for the next game.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Yeah, the idea is that the keeper will spot the sudden movement, crouch down and lean one way anticipating a jump. then shoot the opposite direction. The keeper is observing the ballas much as the player, so there is some perpiheral vision trickery going on
I would guess it makes it harder for the keeper to see how he shaping his foot.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
He has scored 22 out of the last 24 he has taken? If this Stat is correct I couldn't care less how he takes them. Data proves otherwise.

PieCrust

Just like with Pogba's run up, I hate it, but unlike Pogba, you can't argue with Bruno's results. He's made what, something like 14 in a row. So seems he knows what he's doing.

UpWithRivers

Got to be the weirdest style. Its like Bambi frolicking through the snow. A prance, a hop, a skip and a jump and a gentle placement in the corner. Works though but as soon as he misses everyone will be jumping up and down.

stu_1992

Yeah it's a weird one. And he'll look a bit silly if he misses with that run, but the fact is it's been effective so far. And the stats from his career say he's a very good penalty taker so I'm not worried. Even if/when he inevitably misses one, he's still our best option by far.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yeah it's a weird one. And he'll look a bit silly if he misses with that run, but the fact is it's been effective so far. And the stats from his career say he's a very good penalty taker so I'm not worried. Even if/when he inevitably misses one, he's still our best option by far.
I used to worry about Eric in the same way, it was all so casual that I thought he was going to miss at some point. His description was " If the goalkeeper moves right I place it left..."

Fact; I only saw him drag one wide, with the goalie going the other way as usual. Bruno has that same composure to commit the goalkeeper then place it to the other side.

MikeeMike

I used to worry about Eric in the same way, it was all so casual that I thought he was going to miss at some point. His description was " If the goalkeeper moves right I place it left..."

Fact; I only saw him drag one wide, with the goalie going the other way as usual. Bruno has that same composure to commit the goalkeeper then place it to the other side.
I saw both of his missed Pens.. Leeds away (dragged wide). Blackburn away (scuffed.. cant remember but missed).

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I saw both of his missed Pens.. Leeds away (dragged wide). Blackburn away (scuffed.. cant remember but missed).
I'm sure it was Blackburn, he sent the GK the other way but dragged it wide. We still won though :D

thepolice123

Must be pointed out that Mignolet might be a shite goalkeeper but he is an excellent PK stopper. He has one of the highest PK save ratios in the world, even higher than the likes of DDG, Ederson, Lloris, Cech, Courtois and Reina.

The fact that Bruno had him completely beaten despite the ref leaving him there for 5 minutes and rewinding VAR like a disc jockey is a testament to how good he is at PKs. Steel nerves and impeccable timing.

Charles Miller

It's ugly but it's worked for him so far. But yeah, the way he takes it reminds me of a kid I went to school with who couldn't play for shit. He always did a little hop before kicking a ball. :lol:
Look Rolando Blackburn eliminating his team in the Libertadores with this technique.

The Firestarter

Must be pointed out that Mignolet might be a shite goalkeeper but he is an excellent PK stopper. He has one of the highest PK save ratios in the world, even higher than the likes of DDG, Ederson, Lloris, Cech, Courtois and Reina.

The fact that Bruno had him completely beaten despite the ref leaving him there for 5 minutes and rewinding VAR like a disc jockey is a testament to how good he is at PKs. Steel nerves and impeccable timing.
Higher than DDG isn't saying much to be honest :lol:

Dan_F

Honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see him step up and take the next one normally. The next premier league keeper is going to be so determined not to go early.