I don't like the way Bruno takes penalties

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
You stated it as a fact not an opinion.
Did I? Interesting. Do you take everything you read literally? Ok...let me try this again so you don't get confused.

"IN MY OPINION" Pogba does his little stutter so he can try and have his own little signature move.

(now pay attention because this is where I explain why I think that)

The reason I think that is because those little slow steps do absolutely nothing to throw off the keeper. If anything, it makes it easier for the keeper to time his dive because of how slow he's going. So if it doesn't help make his penalty harder to save, and it's something that I have only seen him do, what other kind of conclusion (or opinion) would you like me to come to??? It's not like Pogba is a humble player who wouldn't want to do something to make him stand out...

The Original

Did I? Interesting. Do you take everything you read literally? Ok...let me try this again so you don't get confused.

"IN MY OPINION" Pogba does his little stutter so he can try and have his own little signature move.

(now pay attention because this is where I explain why I think that)

The reason I think that is because those little slow steps do absolutely nothing to throw off the keeper. If anything, it makes it easier for the keeper to time his dive because of how slow he's going. So if it doesn't help make his penalty harder to save, and it's something that I have only seen him do, what other kind of conclusion (or opinion) would you like me to come to??? It's not like Pogba is a humble player who wouldn't want to do something to make him stand out...
I don't see why you feel the need to put so much effort into being snarky...ironic that you're the one accusing someone else of needlessly narcissistic behavior!

Anyway, the point simply is, you presented your opinion as a fact and even when evaluated merely as an opinion, it doesn't hold up to logical scrutiny.
As i said, regardless of what you think about the efficacy of the technique, what matters is what Paul Pogba thinks of it. Logically, the man is a professional at the top of his game and if he is as narcissistic as you would like us all to believe, then he is obviously going to prioritize scoring the penalty over looking relatively silly while missing. It is quite a reach to assume with no other information that he is doing it purely for the aesthetics but then its your opinion and you are entitled to it.

What you are not entitled to is passing off your opinion as a fact for the purpose of building a theory.

Rajma

They guy has scored 18 penalties on the bounce without fail, people should get a grip.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I don't see why you feel the need to put so much effort into being snarky...ironic that you're the one accusing someone else of needlessly narcissistic behavior!

Anyway, the point simply is, you presented your opinion as a fact and even when evaluated merely as an opinion, it doesn't hold up to logical scrutiny.
As i said, regardless of what you think about the efficacy of the technique, what matters is what Paul Pogba thinks of it. Logically, the man is a professional at the top of his game and if he is as narcissistic as you would like us all to believe, then he is obviously going to prioritize scoring the penalty over looking relatively silly while missing. It is quite a reach to assume with no other information that he is doing it purely for the aesthetics but then its your opinion and you are entitled to it.

What you are not entitled to is passing off your opinion as a fact for the purpose of building a theory.
Holy feck....I just explained in detail why I think (aka MY OPINION) he does that little run up. I DID NOT pass it off as fact. Either way, if that little run up of his isn't for a "signature move", then why do you think he does it? Having played this game for over 40 years (and still playing) I can tell you for a FACT that his little run up doesn't make it harder for the keeper. It actually makes it easier. So why do you think he does it???

The Original

Holy feck....I just explained in detail why I think (aka MY OPINION) he does that little run up. I DID NOT pass it off as fact. Either way, if that little run up of his isn't for a "signature move", then why do you think he does it? Having played this game for over 40 years (and still playing) I can tell you for a FACT that his little run up doesn't make it harder for the keeper. It actually makes it easier. So why do you think he does it???
I accept that it is your opinion, and I said so in my last post.

Why do I think he does it?

I think he thinks it is a good technique. To persist with a bad technique just to look distinctive would be absurd and unreasonable for a professional.

Again I reiterate, it doesn't matter what you think about the technique. It only matters what Pogba thinks, and I'm certain he thinks it works in some way.

The only reasonable reason for a person to persist with a bad technique would be because they do not think it is bad.

I think it is only logical that if we're going to make assumptions, that we start with what we do know. I.e that human beings are inherently rational beings even if they may occasionally act irrationally. Meaning, it is more natural to assume that Pogba would prioritise goal scoring over developing a distinct style and if he persists with a technique it must be because, no matter how misguided he may or may not be, it is because he believes in the technique.

That leads us first to the assumption that there is something reasonable about his behavior and to only progress to assume that his behavior is totally unreasonable if more information surfaces to indicate that.

To reject the narrative that makes his behavior reasonable
and cling to the narrative that makes his behaviour unreasonable would ordinarily be unreasonable wouldn't you agree?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I accept that it is your opinion, and I said so in my last post.

Why do I think he does it?

I think he thinks it is a good technique. To persist with a bad technique just to look distinctive would be absurd and unreasonable for a professional.

Again I reiterate, it doesn't matter what you think about the technique. It only matters what Pogba thinks, and I'm certain he thinks it works in some way.

The only reasonable reason for a person to persist with a bad technique would be because they do not think it is bad.

I think it is only logical that if we're going to make assumptions, that we start with what we do know. I.e that human beings are inherently rational beings even if they may occasionally act irrationally. Meaning, it is more natural to assume that Pogba would prioritise goal scoring over developing a distinct style and if he persists with a technique it must be because, no matter how misguided he may or may not be, it is because he believes in the technique.

That leads us first to the assumption that there is something reasonable about his behavior and to only progress to assume that his behavior is totally unreasonable if more information surfaces to indicate that.

To reject the narrative that makes his behavior reasonable
and cling to the narrative that makes his behaviour unreasonable would ordinarily be unreasonable wouldn't you agree?
Pogba has a "look at me" complex. This isn't my opinion. It's a fact. And that horrible technique that nobody else does fits right in with that (this part is my opinion but I'm pretty sure it's true)...

TalkingNav118

If he continues to put ball in the corner of the net without a 10min run-up, I can't hate on him.

However I hate the fact we don't have a dedicated penalty taker. It makes no sense.

Pogba has a "look at me" complex. This isn't my opinion. It's a fact. And that horrible technique that nobody else does fits right in with that (this part is my opinion but I'm pretty sure it's true)...
Couldn't agree more mate. Think he's a top player but that is definitely one of his weaknesses in my opinion.

ChaddyP

He's the ying to de gea yang at penalties. I'm as confident in him scoring as I'm confident of de gea not saving them

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He doesn’t always do the jump. I feel like he doesn’t even need to do it but he has so much confidence that he’ll score he just takes the piss.

Revan

Assumptionman
Probably the best penalty taker in the world. A much better conversion rate than the usual suspects (Hazard, Balotelli, Ronaldo etc).

Handré1990

He doesn’t always do the jump. I feel like he doesn’t even need to do it but he has so much confidence that he’ll score he just takes the piss.
He didn’t jump the last 2 I think. Today Kasper made a big deal out of trying to get into Bruno’s head. Bruno rightly guessed that he’d be agitated, so did the right thing. Ice cold and smart is our Bruno!:devil:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He didn’t jump the last 2 I think. Today Kasper made a big deal out of trying to get into Bruno’s head. Bruno rightly guessed that he’d be agitated, so did the right thing. Ice cold and smart is our Bruno!:devil:
So much so that Kaspar forgot that Jesse plays for Utd and decided to pass to him

norm87cro

I was looking for this thread in the light of the game yesterday. We deserved to lose but that has nothing to do with the modern football perspective on a penalty. Ddg made a legit save but was denied by this shite rule of making a small step foward while saving a penalty. How is a keeper supose to make a save on such a huge goal? It's not futsal. Those same rules allow Bruno to make a step or two before taking a penalty. Its not right because the taker already has a 70% chance of scoring. Yesterday we just happened to be in the wrong side of this rule that strongly favours the taker.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
There you go. He took a nice normal one for you. :wenger:

treble_winner

Can he get back to the silly little leap now please :)
May be his confidence is taking a hit, so he's not brave enough to use his leap now?
Kinda like a panelka, you cannot do one unless your mentality is in top form.

markhughes

I called the miss as soon as I noticed that he was taking a short run up, has that ever been a good idea? It’s much harder to get power into your strike or to send the keep the wrong way.

I really don’t understand it when penalty takers opt for that strategy.

Anustart89

Was the keeper of the line or is that only against utd
One foot off the line, one still on the line so no retake.
They certainly had a man in the box
So did we but none of his feet were not planted inside the box (you’re allowed to lean in over the line as per new rules this season) and that player did not clear the ball anyway as he was at the other end of the area.

criticalanalysis

I called the miss as soon as I noticed that he was taking a short run up, has that ever been a good idea? It’s much harder to get power into your strike or to send the keep the wrong way.

I really don’t understand it when penalty takers opt for that strategy.
Same. It's just a bad approach period. Either you are going to whack it, through the laces to generate power or you're limiting yourself when the variation of your technique as you can't open your body as much.