I feel no connection to these Utd players

Vadim

Pogba, Fellaini, Lukaku...I just don’t like any of the players.

Apart from Dave and Rashford, I feel no connection with any of them. Which is so different to Utd sides of the past where I really looked up to so many of the players, even the not so talented ones like Darren Fletcher who would always give us everything and score important goals.

I don’t like modern Man Utd at all and it saddens me.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
What a spoilt bunch of supporters we have. You lot have been spoilt due to SAF and now being 7th isn't enough for you? We are literally above 50 other teams in England. Get a grip. Back in my day we supported ALL players and EVERY manager. We must support the manager at all costs

The usual lecture we can expect to get when complaining about this shambles of a team. Mourinho OUT ffs

walkinhop

What a spoilt bunch of supporters we have. You lot have been spoilt due to SAF and now being 7th isn't enough for you? We are literally above 50 other teams in England. Get a grip. Back in my day we supported ALL players and EVERY manager. We must support the manager at all costs

The usual lecture we can expect to get when complaining about this shambles of a team. Mourinho OUT ffs
I hope your horse is comfortable enough for the size of the luggage.

Acole9

Outstanding

Not sure if this is a joke but if isn't then I couldn't agree more.

Edit: Damn white text.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Apart from Dave and Rashford, I feel no connection with any of them. Which is so different to Utd sides of the past where I really looked up to so many of the players, even the not so talented ones like Darren Fletcher who would always give us everything and score important goals.

Harsh on Fletch. He had become an instrumental cog in our midfield until he received a crazy illness that ruined his career.

The Mourinho factor is affecting your connection to the club. Many people feel the same as you right now - myself included.

Web of Bissaka

De Gea, Herrera, Rashford.

The rest are just so suspicious, do they even care seriously or just here for the paycheck and stardom.
Don't care about their usual sweet words, serious genuine efforts in performances is what matters.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
The only player I cheer for is actually de Gea. And, to be fair, I think that if he wants to improve and win something, we should let him go. This is how much I love him as a person and as a player - I can't stand his pain. Which is a shame, but it's what we are right now.

SER19

De gea, herrera, mata, young, rashford are all players id be glad to see win things here.

Matic, fellaini, shaw, smalling, jones, valencia all give their all if not good enough.

We might see an even better martial in future.

Regardless of your feelings for the manager i cant understand how pogba can have any united fans backing. Some of his performances in recent weeks have been truly disgusting given his talent. Most dispossessed player in the league all season v southampton? If ever a stat captured his half arsed walking pace days this is it

Ekeke

Very strange post, especially the 2nd to last part about Fletcher

The last 2 games Ander has come up big with motm performances working his socks off

binary bot
I find a lot of our team likable. Most have a place in our squad imo

Herrera
Bailly
Smalling
Dave
Rashford
Martial
Dalot
Shaw
Fred
Pereira
Lindelof
Romero
Mata
Lingard

All likable

The manager has a big influence on how we perceive players
Lukaku - doesn't seem good enough to lead the line at a top club
Pogba - exceptional player, think he'll feck off soon
Valencia, Young - could be useful squad players, never starters
Matic - could be useful in a different team.
Sanchez - just shows the short sighted nature of the club in the last few years

Basically you look at that Arsenal side, and the overall squad isn't dramatically better than ours, outside of a few top players.

It's a poorly structured squad, with no structure on the pitch. You don't need a dramatic overhaul to change that

Ban

The only player I cheer for is actually de Gea. And, to be fair, I think that if he wants to improve and win something, we should let him go. This is how much I love him as a person and as a player - I can't stand his pain. Which is a shame, but it's what we are right now.
Strange you love a player as a person since you haven't met him in person.

PaulScholes99

So you would basically like Fellaini, when the team around him would be very good and successful, as he "is not so talented, like Darren Fletcher, but would always give everything and score important goals". But as he is in an shit team, you don't like him, because he is bad.
I don't know. I like Mata, i like Lingard, i like Herrera, Fellaini, Darmian, Young, i begin to like Lindelöf. They seem to care, they are not very talented but they always try their best.

I can understand when somebody doesn't like Pogba, Martial (at times) or Alexis.

hubbuh

This to me is just odd. I find it incredibly weird when fans affection for players extends beyond that of the club.

I dunno this is only an issue because we aren’t competing at the moment. If (huge if) we suddenly became competitive next season/within a couple of seasons time with more or less the same group of players we wouldn’t be hearing this, obviously.

Negan

Mata and De Gea for me. The rest are not worthy of wearing the jersey.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What is the connection with De Gea? He doesn't talk, we know next to nothing about him as a person or how he interacts with his teammates.
He might be a great player but he is absolutely dull.

jeff_goldblum

Let me guess, you felt very connected to the players who won titles on the bounce? Does OP's criteria for liking someone stem entirely from how talented they are? If I "connect" to players it's because of their personalities, their effort on the pitch and the way they talk about the club. We've a good bunch of lads in our squad, they're largely very likeable and most give their all every game. Some aren't good enough to take the club where I'd like it to be, but that doesn't determine how well I "connect" with them.

@JPRouve agree entirely about De Gea. He's absurdly talented but I don't feel I know the guy (as much as it's possible to "know" a guy I've never met), he doesn't have the presence on the pitch VDS or Big Pete had and he's never said anything about United that I didn't feel was written by the PR team. There are much less talented players we've had at the club over the year who I like a lot more.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
A lot are likable enough IMO. A vocal minority I'd say are the unlikable ones. The few that I would probably want rid of (or wouldn't care if they left) are:
  • Lukaku
  • Fellaini
  • Sanchez
  • Matic
  • Pogba
  • Rojo
  • Romero
  • Darmian
Some for various reasons, not all unlikable necessarily. Rojo and Darmian I just don't think is anywhere near being good enough, Romero is too good to be a 2nd goalkeeper and would be okay with giving those few apps to a youth guy like Pereira. The others are either too annoying on the pitch, past it/would be better off without the cost of having them or just too many complications. The centerbacks are all "meh" IMO, but the problem is how many of them there are. Jones, Smalling, Lindelof, Bailly are all decent but none are reliable enough so having a fresh start at center back would be nice.
Build a squad around the likes of:

• De Gea, Pereira
  • Dalot, Valencia
  • Smalling, Bailly, Lindelof
  • Shaw, Young
  • Herrera, Fred, Pereira
  • Lingard, Mata
  • Rashford, Martial
Not all as starters, but in various roles as squad players, some as starters, some as future starters, and so on. Fill in the gaps with new signings. But those are all "proper" United players IMO, those who I think Fergie would have liked at any stage in some capacity.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What is the connection with De Gea? He doesn't talk, we know next to nothing about him as a person or how he interacts with his teammates.
He might be a great player but he is absolutely dull.
Honestly I feel a connection to any of the players that were part of the Fergie era. The only ones since that time are for the most part the promising young players, or the rare players brought in that I think Fergie would have liked or I can picture in the United we all grew up with in some capacity.

Vadim

The connection with De Gea for me personally is that he could have left a 100 times yet has stuck with us despite being the best GK in world football.

The rest of our players are dabbing cnuts.

Vadim

Mata’s a lovely chap. Herrera is a cnut but he’s our cnut and he loves the club. Rashford and Lingard local boys who obviously want Utd to do well.

I can’t stand the rest of them - Martial included in that, the sulky fecker.

Judas

Open to offers
I feel a connection to players like Pogba and Lingard from watching them in the academy a lot as they were coming up. But a lot of the signings we've made post Fergie, yeah don't really feel anything for them, probably due to how poorly we've seen the majority of them play.

Bestofthebest

The only player I take an instant dislike to is Lingard because he strikes me as being a cowardly little piece of work and appears to think United owe him a living. The rest I am more or less ambivalent about with the exception of Juan Mata who I would really like to meet and talk to as he appears to be a pleasant and intelligent bloke.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Let me guess, you felt very connected to the players who won titles on the bounce? Does OP's criteria for liking someone stem entirely from how talented they are? If I "connect" to players it's because of their personalities, their effort on the pitch and the way they talk about the club. We've a good bunch of lads in our squad, they're largely very likeable and most give their all every game. Some aren't good enough to take the club where I'd like it to be, but that doesn't determine how well I "connect" with them.

@JPRouve agree entirely about De Gea. He's absurdly talented but I don't feel I know the guy (as much as it's possible to "know" a guy I've never met), he doesn't have the presence on the pitch VDS or Big Pete had and he's never said anything about United that I didn't feel was written by the PR team. There are much less talented players we've had at the club over the year who I like a lot more.
Lingard is for example a player that I don't rate a lot but from what I have seen and heard, he seems to be a good guy, he is always smiling and upbeat. I could be friend with someone like that, it doesn't matter how good he is.

Ainu

There are still players here who give it their everything, they're just not as good as the players who came before them and they're part of a badly underpforming team. I don't blame them.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't blame those who feel disillusioned by our players and the manager. Most of the players we've got look simply out of place in a United team. Can you imagine a coward like Matic or someone with no talent like Lukaku playing week in week out in SAF's team? Can you see us hoarding old players searching for a final pay check or praising some big lump in midfield as our Plan B under the old man? I simply cannot.

Don't take me wrong, we had donkeys under Sir Alex, the likes of Phil, Cleverley etc. However they were there to do the donkey work for the stars not to act as our own plan B. You wouldn't see Butt playing week in week out under Sir Alex and he was 10 times the player Matic is. Also every single player we had worked hard under SAF. Those who didn't (ex Berbatov or Veron) were rejected by the system.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I felt much the same under Rodgers after suarez left.

It's better now mind. Robbo and virge stand out for character.

chb23

I don't think anyones said it yet, but you know what. The players might agree with you.

I don't think any of the players feel any connection with the other players too, as demonstrated by the shit football going around. :D

Maticmaker

It's a long time since fans had any real connection with players, such as Tom Finney travelling to the match on the local bus, sat with the fans. Those days are well and truly gone as far as the top tiers of football are concerned. Most people won't feel any connection with the modern day player, or them with the fans. Money, closeting of players in a cocoon, will stop that. The closest we might get is watching players flogging products on TV and not just football items. Everyone of course has their favourite/ not favourite players, but as far as feeling any connections with them l would say, that's long gone.