I just took a look at the table...

Zlatattack

This season has been a bit nuts so far, we're in 9th place at the start of December!

Actually though - we've got a game in hand and are 3 points off 4th place. If we win that game, there are 2 points between us and the 1st place - so 5 points off the top. It's not all bad.

In December (and new years day) we play West Ham, Man City, Leeds, Leicester, Wolves and Villa.

West Ham, Wolves, Leicester are all above us - City are having a wobble, Villa are out of form and Leeds are inconsistent too.

IF we can manage some consistency for 5-6 weeks, we might be still in it come the new year.

RUCK4444

Yeah I've been saying this since the pressure really mounted on Ole earlier in the season, there's absolutely everything still to play for with teams having big swings in performance/consistency.

Very strange season, moulded by a lack of pre-season (for us in particular) and no fans in stadia.

A couple of wins with other results going our way and we are right up there. I just hope we can find that consistency.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Let's see if we even come out of the next two games still as high as 9th first.

SuperiorXI

It'd be great if we can be in at least a title challenge this season, but unfortunately I don't think we're quite ready for that yet, too inconsistent.

Raw

Yeah I was surprised too considering how utterly awful we've been at home in the league. Our away streak is really dragging us towards the top.

Hopefully by New Years we'll have an idea if we're top 4 challengers, or title contenders.

Zlatattack

I think we've been okay with injuries too so far. There are plenty of improvements to be made, silly mistakes at the back, width up front, strikers back in form - but I think the biggest challenge this season is consistency. If we can manage that, the opportunity for a proper title challenge is right there. If not, we could float around in the Europa positions.

El Zoido

It bodes well that we’re still in with a shout. If we actually hit form like we did in the second half of last season, you never know. We’re here without playing particularly well. Martial is off form, Rashford isn’t at his best, neither is Pogba, and Greenwood hasn’t done much this season yet either. If these guys peak after Christmas things could get really interesting.

AshRK

We somehow need to get Martial, Rashford, Greenwood back to scoring ways and hopefully have a motivated Pogba with us then we can definitely kick on. But one step at a time. Get points of PSG and qualify to the KO round first. It will be a huge morale boosting thing.

Raw

It bodes well that we’re still in with a shout. If we actually hit form like we did in the second half of last season, you never know. We’re here without playing particularly well. Martial is off form, Rashford isn’t at his best, neither is Pogba, and Greenwood hasn’t done much this season yet either. If these guys peak after Christmas things could get really interesting.
A potential Bruno-like January signing might propel us even further. One that sorts out a gaping hole in the team, that is so obvious that it just cannot fail.

Sanch-ON? :drool:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
There's honestly no chance of us winning the title or even being in a race for it but yes it's positive that despite the home form up till now we're only 3 points off the likes of Chelsea and Leicester in the top 4 'battle'

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
In a normal season how many league matches would we have played by now?

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Frustrating to imagine where we might be if a CB & RW had been signed... :rolleyes:
But it's going to be a very weird season, where anything could happen.

miked99

I doubt we're consistent enough to challenge for the title but right now results are all over the place across the board, so it's possible. Whether we can find that consistency is another matter. We're giving away far too many goals at the moment.

Biggest concern of all would be if Bruno got injured for any length of time.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
The hope always gets me.

With Ole we've often had these spells of recovery and things start to take shape, but that gut wrenching defeat or draw will come and prove to be a set back for 2 or 3 games before we inevitably go on another recovery run.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I like how everyone are so pessimistic about this and yet the best team in the premier league overall since 01.01.2020 is Manchester United.

Hire Poch

tenpoless

Rule number 1 : never talk about the good things we do
Rule number 2 : never talk about how close we are to the top
Rule number 3 : keep on talking shit about the club and we will keep on getting results

Tis my message to the interweb.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
A potential Bruno-like January signing might propel us even further. One that sorts out a gaping hole in the team, that is so obvious that it just cannot fail.

We may well have already made that signing. Cant wait to see what Diallo is made of. I'm getting very warm, C Ronaldo type feelings about this kid.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Rule number 3 : keep on talking shit about the club and we will keep on getting results
Cant speak for anyone else, but I've had my fill of our own fans talking shit about the club

El Zoido

We may well have already made that signing. Cant wait to see what Diallo is made of. I'm getting very warm, C Ronaldo type feelings about this kid.
Based on what? Genuine question, I really haven’t seen him play at any length yet.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Since Lockdown ended we've got a 61.1% win rate in the League, only City have a higher win percent. We're actually coping with covid pretty damn well and nobody should discount us.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Based on what? Genuine question, I really haven’t seen him play at any length yet.
Based on very little, admittedly. Clips we've seen of him have been promising (though nothing against a high level of opponent), but also because the club seems to have gotten their act together when it comes to transfers and we spent a lot of money on him. I've just got this gut feeling he's going to be special.

Raw

Since Lockdown ended we've got a 61.1% win rate in the League, only City have a higher win percent. We're actually coping with covid pretty damn well and nobody should discount us.
No pre season basically fecked us. We definitely look sharper than we did at the start of the season.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
No pre season basically fecked us. We definitely look sharper than we did at the start of the season.
Aye, here's a list of the best performing clubs from Bundesliga, Premier League, La Liga and Serie A since lockdown. We have the highest points per game in the Premier League. Pretty impressive i'd say.
Club​
Games​
W​
D​
L​
Win %​
Pts Per Game​
Bayern Munich​
18​
16​
1​
1​
88.90%​
2.72​
AC Milan​
21​
16​
5​
0​
76.20%​
2.52​
Atlético Madrid​
20​
14​
6​
0​
70.00%​
2.40​
Real Madrid​
21​
15​
3​
3​
71.40%​
2.29​
Inter Milan​
22​
13​
7​
2​
59.10%​
2.09​
Manchester United​
18​
11​
4​
3​
61.10%​
2.06​
Manchester City​
19​
12​
3​
4​
63.20%​
2.05​
Tottenham Hotspur​
19​
11​
6​
2​
57.90%​
2.05​
Borussia Dortmund​
18​
12​
0​
6​
66.70%​
2.00​
AS Roma​
21​
13​
3​
5​
61.90%​
2.00​
Atalanta BC​
22​
13​
5​
4​
59.10%​
2.00​
Liverpool FC​
19​
11​
5​
3​
57.90%​
2.00​
RB Leipzig​
18​
10​
6​
2​
55.60%​
2.00​
SSC Napoli​
21​
13​
2​
6​
61.90%​
1.95​
Sevilla FC​
20​
11​
6​
3​
55.00%​
1.95​

prateik

We need a flat track bully.. and a wide right option.. We have know that for a while.. We got Ighalo as a stop gap.. not its Cavani.. Not sure Cavani can play every game if needed, so while I'm glad we have that option, we still need a proper striker... and someone for the right wing.

Get that sorted and I would expect us to have a 80+ point season..

As it is, it'll be up and down.. on our day, we can win any game.. but we'll be inconsistent..

Also, having Pogba basically unavailable or out for form for almost 18 months (expect a few games post lockdown) really doesnt help.

youngrell

I think we're in a decent position, and despite losing a few players already to injury, I think we look pretty fit overall. This bodes well for a strong December, and if we enter January near the top it should hopefully give the players a lift to press on and challenge.

I feel we have what it takes to stay ahead of City. They have lost a lot of championship experience in the past couple of years and if Aguero keeps picking up knocks, I think they continue to struggle.

Even though some of our forwards haven't started firing properly yet, we do have a lot of options and quality to see us through the tough period.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I put a sneaky tenner on us at 40/1 after the Arsenal game. Our squad while still incomplete is very good. On paper we can challenge. If Diallo comes in and offers something we could be golden. The promising thing is we can still improve a lot. Consistency is key. If we break down the small teams and we keep showing up in the big games then who knows. It’s probably a season too early though.

GuyfromAustria

That Burnley game is really annoying me now, can't stand looking at the table for months like that ("but if we win the game in hand, ....")

DRM

Don't...just don't do it to yourself!

Son

I think we've been okay with injuries too so far. There are plenty of improvements to be made, silly mistakes at the back, width up front, strikers back in form - but I think the biggest challenge this season is consistency. If we can manage that, the opportunity for a proper title challenge is right there. If not, we could float around in the Europa positions.
We’ve been awful at times in the league. Should have lost / drawn more matches too. We have been lucky really. We’ve played better in Europe.

Team needs to shape up and quickly. Table doesn’t mean a thing seeing some of our games this season.

Okey

Yep. Bonkers season and table so far. We could easily become relegation banter if we have 2 bad games. On the other hand, a quite plausible set of results could have us 4th after this weekend's fixtures! I wonder what I'll get on an Acca for that...

Gator Nate

That Burnley game is really annoying me now, can't stand looking at the table for months like that ("but if we win the game in hand, ....")
:lol: Agreed. I mean, I believe we will win it, but I always hate during a season when teams are behind in games played. Makes the table really unreliable, especially when the teams are (all) so close in points.

Siorac

Aye, here's a list of the best performing clubs from Bundesliga, Premier League, La Liga and Serie A since lockdown. We have the highest points per game in the Premier League. Pretty impressive i'd say.
Club​
Games​
W​
D​
L​
Win %​
Pts Per Game​
Bayern Munich​
18​
16​
1​
1​
88.90%​
2.72​
AC Milan​
21​
16​
5​
0​
76.20%​
2.52​
Atlético Madrid​
20​
14​
6​
0​
70.00%​
2.40​
Real Madrid​
21​
15​
3​
3​
71.40%​
2.29​
Inter Milan​
22​
13​
7​
2​
59.10%​
2.09​
Manchester United​
18​
11​
4​
3​
61.10%​
2.06​
Manchester City​
19​
12​
3​
4​
63.20%​
2.05​
Tottenham Hotspur​
19​
11​
6​
2​
57.90%​
2.05​
Borussia Dortmund​
18​
12​
0​
6​
66.70%​
2.00​
AS Roma​
21​
13​
3​
5​
61.90%​
2.00​
Atalanta BC​
22​
13​
5​
4​
59.10%​
2.00​
Liverpool FC​
19​
11​
5​
3​
57.90%​
2.00​
RB Leipzig​
18​
10​
6​
2​
55.60%​
2.00​
SSC Napoli​
21​
13​
2​
6​
61.90%​
1.95​
Sevilla FC​
20​
11​
6​
3​
55.00%​
1.95​
2.06 points per game is a 78-point season. I'd be happy enough with that this season but that's usually a long way from a title challenge in the modern era.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
In a normal season how many league matches would we have played by now?
In a normal season Liverpool and City would have a much greater advantage because their high press game needs more prep time. If there's a season for an outsider to break their grip it's this one. But it won't be easy and it won't be us unless we improve dramatically.

bsCallout

Not for me. Haaland, a CDM or a CB.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
2.06 points per game is a 78-point season. I'd be happy enough with that this season but that's usually a long way from a title challenge in the modern era.
I honestly think with Covid and the condensed schedule all clubs will struggle for consistency in the Premier League and we'll end up with an 80-85 point title winner.

To put it into perspective, last season it took till matchday 32 for Liverpool to drop points in 4 games. They've dropped points in 4 games in the opening 10 this year. It's going to be a really interesting title this year.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Take away the first 3 weeks of the season where we were clearly unfit and playing catch up.....we've been as good as anyone. The table reflects that too. 5pts off top spot with a game in hand after the handicap we got from being in Europe in August....I'd have taken that all day long.

Fans started losing the plot after 4 and 5 games. Absolutely mental. Do we ever learn?