I really thought James Wilson and Nick Powell would make it at a high level

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
One of the biggest sticks used to beat Moyes when he was here is that he wasn’t playing Fabio.

I remember people being furious that Possebon wasn’t given a chance.

DuruttiColumn

I think James Wilson stood out at that time because of how slow we were up front. Rooney, RVP, Falcao etc
He was the only one who seemed to have any pace about him watsoever

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Thought Nick Powell was going to be the next Frank Lampard.

Shows how daft it can be to dub young players the next superstar unless it is incredibly obvious.

Devil81

Even Bobby Charlton i recall was singing the praises of Adnan. I think Adnan lacked the drive. He could not push himself in training and on the pitch.
Lazy isn't the word, I watched him drag his sorry arse around OT like a lazy school against Burnley and said to my dad he will never make it.

He litrally walked around hand in sleeves as if he was cold in a school field before Louis Van Gaal dragged him off.

Sea-Cow

You have to bear in mind the effects injuries have had on Wilson. Claiming you didn’t think he was good now means nothing because he’s become nothing like the player he was. He was blistering fast before and is now barely average pace. Take away any fast players pace and they’ll also drop down the leagues.

Similarly, can’t be too harsh on misjudging Powell as he simply doesn’t really care. He’s been impressive in the Championship and Europa League while not being bothered. If he had the dedication he may well be a good PL player. He’s happy just to enjoy himself and get by though.
Yeah its as if football came so easily and naturally to him that it messed with his mind. I imagine its a difficult mental block to overcome if you've never had to work hard before, and yet you were still better than everyone.

I think I saw an article from the last few years though where he has settled down some with married life and is enjoying himself more. He sounded like he was in a good place.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Yeah its as if football came so easily and naturally to him that it messed with his mind. I imagine its a difficult mental block to overcome if you've never had to work hard before, and yet you were still better than everyone.

I think I saw an article from the last few years though where he has settled down some with married life and is enjoying himself more. He sounded like he was in a good place.
Yea, by all means he just isn’t a football fan and is one of those where it’s just a career to him. It isn’t his dream to work his ass off 24/7 to play in the PL which seems to annoy lots of fans but personally think all the power to him. Not everyone has to dedicate their life to their career and try be the best. He’s just a good footballer and is happy to just do his job and that’s it. It’s a rather refreshing and normal attitude imo.

ariel

I was sure Will Keane will make it. At the time he was the brighter prospect in comparison with his England partner, one Harry Kane. Not to mention his brother.
He was still excellent after he came back from the first injury. I remember an amazing chip over the goalie and bossing the u-21.
Then he got his chance with LVG, hit the post in a cup game while getting injured again, the next game he was out, Martial got injured in the warm up, Rashford got the nod on and the rest is history.

I also thought Matty James will make it big. Injuries destroyed him as well.

Injuries and luck have so much to do with it.

lysglimt

Scout
I never understood the hype for Powell but Januzaj and Wilson (especially Januzaj) I thought would be 1st team regulars.
Powell was absolutely amazing at Crewe - so the hype was justified. In the season starting when he had turned 17 just 4 months earlier, he scored 14 goals in 38 matches. And some of those goals were brilliant.

The one I got most correct myself was Welbeck - already at U18 level I questioned his ability to score goals. He was capable of getting 4-5 goals in a game, and then he could go 4-5 matches without scoring.

My biggest miss was probably Cleverley - I saw him a few games early on and thought he was average at best. If anyone had told me then, he would be playing regularly for United even for just a few season, I would have laughed.

lysglimt

Scout
Fletcher was brilliant before his illness, in the late 00s he regularly bossed the midfield. Fantastic player.
What was the story with Fletcher when he was to make his debut at 16 - but for some reason wasn't allowed to play ?

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
FRAZER Campbell just scored a worldie for Huddersfield. There's anyone where greatness was expected.

Here is an unusual stat for Frazer. He has 1 cap for England senior team. It was a cap made by Stuart Pearce who played him against Holland. The very min he came on as Sub in that game - his wife gave birth to his first daughter. A North he missed as he wanted to play for England.

lsd

The Oracle
One of the biggest sticks used to beat Moyes when he was here is that he wasn’t playing Fabio.

Possebon looked a real player until he got tackled and was never the same since . I remember United fans going mental David Jones was not given a chance in the first team

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's amazing how capable players like Cleverley and Gibson looked under SAF while not nearly as being talented as someone like Powell or WIlson. A bit more time under him and I reckon they'd have had more of a chance of making it than what they had to deal with.

Glorio

Possebon did look class the little time he was on the pitch before that horrible injury.

I never really had much hope for Nick Powell. Apart from a good shot, I didn't really see any other stand out characteristic myself. Just came across like Gibson Mk2