I see the 'ABU' Media are back in full voice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man-United

It is more than that.

Look at Romeu on Greenwood. Doesn't get mentioned at all.
Evans challenge on McTominay. It doesn't get denied that its a red, because its obvious. But it isn't a story now.
If McTominay did that to Evans, it would be a major talking point. How long should he be banned etc.
This. So obvious regards to Evans and McT.

Croftona7

Attacking team with the highest scoring and quick forward players in winning many penalties scandal. Hold the front page...

They quote how many penalties we've won, they quote how our front 3 has outscored every other front 3, but they don't make any connection between the two?

It's great to be hated again

mav_9me

A Norwegian fifa-.referee explained this a few years ago. If you take the ball and then the man, it will still be a penalty unless the attacker wouldnt have reached the ball if still standing. In this case Martial clearly would have as the ball didn't move at all

So if Evans had taken the ball and tackled it back to the keeper and then taken Martial i millisecond later - he could get away with it. This wasn't the case here, and add to that Morgan clearly tackles Martial without being close to the ball so :)
Agreed. They both got martial first and Evans appeared to be the merest of toes to the ball.

Falcow

Tyler was Ridiculous today . he kept talking as if Leicester were in Uniteds position. I thought he had lost the plot . then he brings up the penalty ...eh it was a Clear penalty
I used to like Tyler years ago but cant stand him now. Kept going on yesterday about the permutations related to Leicester and if they could knick one now etc. Dick. Like we weren't also battling for top 4.

Falcow

Agreed. They both got martial first and Evans appeared to be the merest of toes to the ball.
I dont think Evan's got the ball at all, he may have touched it but it didnt change the course or pace of the ball at all, meaning it was still there for Martial had he not be cleaned out of it.

Pen all day long. Martial's face slamming into the pitch was further proof if it were needed.

kirk buttercup

Attacking team with the highest scoring and quick forward players in winning many penalties scandal. Hold the front page...

They quote how many penalties we've won, they quote how our front 3 has outscored every other front 3, but they don't make any connection between the two?

I love being Hated it means we are back on Course . Hated Adored never Ignored :devil:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I agree it's a subjective judgement and we are all subject to our own biases but I think there is at least one clear indicator of football journalists' favouritism of Liverpool over United.

The Football Writers Player of the Year award was introduced in the 1947/48 season. Since that time United have won the league 16 times while Liverpool have won14 titles (16:14).

They voted to give the award to a Manchester United player at the end of nine of those seasons. Liverpool players were selected by the football journalists 14 times (9:14)

Is there any explanation for this discrepancy other than media favouritism towards Liverpool and bias against United? Sometimes our subjective opinions are right.
The media is still flooded Liverpool fans and ex players.
It is balancing up a bit more with United ex players though. But in terms of Liverpool supporting journalists they still dominate.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
It is more than that.

Look at Romeu on Greenwood. Doesn't get mentioned at all.
Evans challenge on McTominay. It doesn't get denied that its a red, because its obvious. But it isn't a story now.
If McTominay did that to Evans, it would be a major talking point. How long should he be banned etc.
It's always been this way. I remember Rooney swearing into the camera. The uproar was ridiculous over it. I remember watching some crap match a couple of weeks later. Watford vs Norwich or something like that. Some player shouted "get the f*ck in" into the camera. Absolutely nothing in the media about it.
I think you're right, simply because I remember just how much it was talked about when Jonny Evans caught Stuart Holden in similar challenge years ago. Although it was a 50/50 and I think Holden was unlucky, both went into the challenge in a similar fashion, but Evans was painted as a villain for ages afterwards.

redshaw

It's not a surprise we get a lot penalties, the Evans double tackle is symptomatic of the type of games we face and he got carried away with the fouling . Fouls upon fouls, our players getting poleaxed and shoved to ground, refs belatedly blowing the whistle or not even bothering anywhere outside the area, players think they can ride roughtshod in the box as well as refs are letting most things go elsewhere.

Compare the tackle Bruno got and has been getting lately with no free kick to the many times Leicester players just reached for the ground or decided to sit down on the grass and it's an instant whistle from the ref.

I don't think that Evans foul on McTom happens if some of the Leicester fouls get called out earlier, and the heavy challenges from Southampton and Chelsea at Wembley.

Quell surprise Martial gets a double scything down when through on goal. let us finish the move instead of stopping it illegally like you do with other teams, then we won't get as many penalties. Players jumping in all the time, pumped up from the dressing to get at United players, they don't like it up em, and refs seeing it as fair game is fueling these pens.

What about the assaults on Greenwood to knock him off his game by Romeu and the Chelsea player who lined up his headbutt on Mason that go unpunished?

arthurka

A Norwegian fifa-.referee explained this a few years ago. If you take the ball and then the man, it will still be a penalty unless the attacker wouldnt have reached the ball if still standing. In this case Martial clearly would have as the ball didn't move at all

So if Evans had taken the ball and tackled it back to the keeper and then taken Martial i millisecond later - he could get away with it. This wasn't the case here, and add to that Morgan clearly tackles Martial without being close to the ball so :)
Morgan made contact first anyway..

sugar_kane

The new media narrative seems to be damning with faint praise, or pinning our improvement entirely on signing Bruno. Dashed of course with lashings of VAR chatter.

The media were not shy of tearing Ole down when we were struggling, but since he and the team mounted a significant comeback to finish only behind two of the best teams in Europe no-one wants to talk about it.

Barney Ronay's latest is a good example of this, talking about Ole like he's some village idiot who won the lottery:
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-manchester-united-leicester-champions-league

of course 4th placed Lamps is the second coming.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The penalty yesterday was stonewall...the only debate should’ve been which player, or whether both players saw red.

To debate the contact there, but not debate the zero contact on Antonio in the West Ham game for the free kick that led to the penalty.....but also debate the free kick in the City game that led to Bruno setting up Martials goal etc etc etc over and over again.

It’s always been the same with us. Even when something goes against us that shouldn’t, it gets mentioned but it isn’t the narrative for the entire post match debate, as it is when things go for us.
Exactly. Evans should have been sent off for denying clear goal scoring opportunity, also Fred got yellow for diving when City player kicked his shin, which should have been a penalty, Martial was wrestled to the ground against Palace, he didn't get penalty.

Sheffield United player literally pushed Jones for their first goal but nothing was made of it except mocking Jones.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Evans only got anywhere near the ball because Wes Morgan clattered into Martial's left leg without being anywhere near it. Stonewall penalty.
How anyone can't see this is nuts! They must be blind!

Inigo Montoya

The new media narrative seems to be damning with faint praise, or pinning our improvement entirely on signing Bruno. Dashed of course with lashings of VAR chatter.

The media were not shy of tearing Ole down when we were struggling, but since he and the team mounted a significant comeback to finish only behind two of the best teams in Europe no-one wants to talk about it.

Barney Ronay's latest is a good example of this, talking about Ole like he's some village idiot who won the lottery:
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-manchester-united-leicester-champions-league

TBF, most on here felt the same way.

The way I see it, they want us to be challenging but not that much. They want the acceptable face of Utd; cavalier,exciting football and losing gracefully. The moment a competitive Utd in the SAF mould rears its head, the criticism will surface. In short, it's trendy to hate Utd while portraying Liverpool as some sort of people's champions.

It's quite funny really...all so predictable

Woodzy

I found the reactions regarding the penalty too hilarious to care really. In fact, being checked by VAR for so long in the first in itself was hilarious.

He was literally fouled by two players at the same time ffs :lol:

Nickelodeon

I mean it's not just limited to the penalty aspect of it. A lot of our players don't get any credit they deserve. We finished the season significantly behind the front 2 so no comparisons there. But in the remaining pack, we had a GD of +30 which is twice that of Chelsea's.

Our defence has conceded just 36 goals (33 being the league minimum), but all I see is criticism for De Gea, Lindelof, Maguire as well as the manager. If everyone is doing poorly, how did we manage this record? Even before yesterday's game, Michael Owen did a segment on how Maguire is extremely slow and why United's defence could be caught out. If this is the case, why don't these geniuses explain that how come we haven't lost a game by a margin higher than 2-0?

It's just that criticism is catchier than conventional, honest analyses.

Inigo Montoya

Is Tyler a Liverpool fan!? Had no idea. Now it all makes sense!
He isn't, it's bollocks.

When Wenger was around, Tyler was an Arsenal fan as he said the unbeaten season was the greatest of the decade, now he's a Liverpool fan. Apparently he loves Pep's City as well.

In the past commentators like Brian Moore were supposedly Spurs fans,Tyldesley a Liverpool fan. I think it's harder for us to look at commentators without perceiving bais each time they try and put some balance into their commentary

pascell

Anybody else they're back in full voice, or is it just me? It simply means they're worried that we're back on the right path and they hate to see us making progress.

Adcuth

Maybe we wouldn't have gotten so many pens if during most games, the opposition didn't have 7 or 8 men defending in the box. Never seen a season where teams have sat back so much against us. Considering they all think we're shit now, teams were awfully scared to actually play football rather than defending constantly.

Nick7

Exactly. Evans should have been sent off for denying clear goal scoring opportunity, also Fred got yellow for diving when City player kicked his shin, which should have been a penalty, Martial was wrestled to the ground against Palace, he didn't get penalty.

Sheffield United player literally pushed Jones for their first goal but nothing was made of it except mocking Jones.
No he shouldn’t. Double punishment is gone unless the defender makes no attempt to get the ball.

Dansk

The way Chelsea were able to wantonly assault our players for an entire game without so much as a single booking is also something the media never acknowledged. You've seen teams do half as much and be called thugs. United apparently deserve to be fouled 25 times or however many it was.

Coleyoscar

Agree, Barney Ronay is often unintentionally funny. Can you imagine what he would have written if a United team had just clenched the league and got hammered four-nil by the runners-up? Here's what he wrote about the scousers the other week:

“But really, what City's performance highlighted was the splendour of Liverpool's own achievement in winning the league so emphatically ahead of a team this good...”

You couldn't make it up (unless you were a football journalist or a village idiot).

stevoc

He's not, no. Supports Woking.
Thats what he's always said, i suspected years ago he was actually an Arsenal fan. And if you look at how many books he's co-authored about Arsenal then maybe theres something to that.

nainaisson

To be fair, Lampard comes off as more insightful in press conferences, like when he said, "the Champions Leagues is two parts, the first being the group stage and the second being the knockout round," and when he said Chelsea could fix their set-piece defending problem by signing tall players. He must have a footballing IQ of at least 200, so it's totally justifiable that the press hang on his every word and have christened him "Manager of the Century".

Pav1878

He isn't, it's bollocks.

When Wenger was around, Tyler was an Arsenal fan as he said the unbeaten season was the greatest of the decade, now he's a Liverpool fan. Apparently he loves Pep's City as well.

In the past commentators like Brian Moore were supposedly Spurs fans,Tyldesley a Liverpool fan. I think it's harder for us to look at commentators without perceiving bais each time they try and put some balance into their commentary
Yeah true, when Tyler shouted Aguerooooo, it was hard not to feel the universe was against us let alone Tyler.

There's probably loads of examples of when each commentator was pro United as well.

I don't know how they're painting all the penalties as proof of some pro-United conspiracy. Referees are finally getting all penalty shouts correct with VAR, and with video evidence for all to see. The only thing it shows is how badly screwed over by referee and penalty calls we have been the last few years.

Inigo Montoya

Yeah true, when Tyler shouted Aguerooooo, it was hard not to feel the universe was against us let alone Tyler.

There's probably loads of examples of when each commentator was pro United as well.
But his Macheeeeeda! in the win over Villa must have riled City and Liverpool fans :lol:

He's been notably praiseworthy whenever Greenwood's on the ball

Inigo Montoya

To be fair, Lampard comes off as more insightful in press conferences, like when he said, "the Champions Leagues is two parts, the first being the group stage and the second being the knockout round," and when he said Chelsea could fix their set-piece defending problem by signing tall players. He must have a footballing IQ of at least 200, so it's totally justifiable that the press hang on his every word and have christened him "Manager of the Century".
Like he was on the touchline against Liverpool too?:lol:

The benefits of an Independent Schooling eh? That's what money buys, and a glorious testament to it as well.

Denis' cuff

Who knows who the previous penalty beneficiaries were? Not just for one season but numerous.

Probably nobody.

Ans = Liverpool

Never heard a fecking word about it apart from United fans

They all know who has the most this season

Scholesgoals

I thought this guy was the shredding his legacy guy , but thats rob smyth

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/jul/31/sport.comment

The timing of that article hahahaha

An utter ABU

"the sight of the accidental saviour Ole Gunnar Solskjær bowling out on to the pitch looking wide-eyed and very slightly overcome in his skinny black suit and white shirt"
"The four wealthiest clubs in England will now take up those four spots and compete in the world’s glitziest midweek league. The teams who are usually the teams are once again the teams"
"Rarely has the line between over-promoted company man and curator of the thrilling new red dawn seemed so fine"
"Bruno Fernandes was poor, as he has been occasionally; a midfielder hoist as a panacea to successive seasons of incoherent squad-building"
"If there is little remarkable in Solskjær’s management, this is a virtue in itself. United’s manager has one outstanding quality: his lack of any obvious outstanding qualities"
"Solskjær has imposed a simple system and made some demands about fitness"

You can just imagine him red faced and constipated smashing out vitriol on his hipster fecking typewriter, weeping into a liverpool scarf.

Lets keep this sort of article in mind for next year. If i were solskjaer id print it out and stick it on the changing room wall

sugar_kane

I thought this guy was the shredding his legacy guy , but thats rob smyth

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/jul/31/sport.comment

The timing of that article hahahaha

An utter ABU

"the sight of the accidental saviour Ole Gunnar Solskjær bowling out on to the pitch looking wide-eyed and very slightly overcome in his skinny black suit and white shirt"
"The four wealthiest clubs in England will now take up those four spots and compete in the world’s glitziest midweek league. The teams who are usually the teams are once again the teams"
"Rarely has the line between over-promoted company man and curator of the thrilling new red dawn seemed so fine"
"Bruno Fernandes was poor, as he has been occasionally; a midfielder hoist as a panacea to successive seasons of incoherent squad-building"
"If there is little remarkable in Solskjær’s management, this is a virtue in itself. United’s manager has one outstanding quality: his lack of any obvious outstanding qualities"
"Solskjær has imposed a simple system and made some demands about fitness"

You can just imagine him red faced and constipated smashing out vitriol on his hipster fecking typewriter, weeping into a liverpool scarf.

Lets keep this sort of article in mind for next year. If i were solskjaer id print it out and stick it on the changing room wall
Eesh seeing those quotes late out like that... absolutely disgrace of an article.

Not one ounce of credit for what he's achieved as a manager this season.

I've always had down Ronay as a Chelsea fan given the amount of erotically charged articles he's written about Hazard over the years.

cyberman

Andy Dunn started his artice in The Mirror stating we got reassurances from familiar sources being the refs whistle, VAR and Bruno v Leicester.
VAR didnt even award that pen. Just shows you how narratives take over.

cyberman

We only broke the record by 1, and if you look at the actual records
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/12231344/man-utd-most-penalties-premier-league/
4 of that top 7 have been set in the last 7 seasons. Its nothing extraordinary.
You sit deep to stop this Utd side, by sitting deep you are inviting our quick footed sttackers onto your box.

Last edited:

YAMS49

Andy Dunn started his artice in The Mirror stating we got reassurances from familiar sources being the refs whistle, VAR and Bruno v Leicester.
VAR didnt even award that pen. Just shows you how narratives take over.
Thats what he's always said, i suspected years ago he was actually an Arsenal fan. And if you look at how many books he's co-authored about Arsenal then maybe theres something to that.
Agree with you regarding Arsenal, he's always had a soft spot for them imo....

But on the whole he highlights the occasion. The narrative yesterday was Leicester needing the win in what was a lifeless game of little quality. He was doing his job.

YAMS49

If you want ABU then get ready for Leeds Utd loving & huge anti Utd 'journo' Matthew Dunn next season. He's been forced off Leeds reporting due to them being shite but now they are back you watch him.

Status
Not open for further replies.