I see the 'ABU' Media are back in full voice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuudTom83

33 penalties in a season and half does sound a lot!

But which team is second and how many penalties have they been awarded. A stat on its own means very little without anything to compare it too.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
They hate us, that's a fact, you see that every day in every outlet.

The issue is they wrote Solskjaer off the minute he took over so they have to double down now otherwise they look like they don't actually know what they're talking about, he'll never get credit even if he wins something, it will be the players and how much money he's spent instead. Plus, United being shit has made them more money than United being good ever did. The world and his wife want to read about United being in turmoil and on the path to relegation.
I think you have got to the heart of it.

Yes, the media is full of ex-Liverpool players who despise us. However, above and beyond that they are afraid to lose face.

So many of them have been vocal about Ole being out of his depth. In a way that I have seen with almost no other coach besides Avram Grant at Chelsea. Pundits and journalists have been happy to say Ole isn't up to it and should be fired.

These people have spent a year trying to convince us we are inconsistent. Despite us being as or more consistent than 17 other teams last season. In a game where you get 3 points for a win, 1 for draw and none for a loss.

Their narrative has been that the table lies. However, now we are pretty close to the top of the table their narrative is collapsing. So they've moved onto 'United are only doing well because of penalties.' So many people will look like idiots if Ole wins the league that they need to discredit what we're doing.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I have looked at every penalty United have received in the league over the last 18 months - and I have found 2 penalties I feel were incorrect - James against Norwich and Bruno against Villa (that one was wrong - no doubt about it)

4-5 were penalties but soft, the remaining 10-11 were penalties - no doubt about it, so I have no idea where Keys get his numbers from
Yep, it's quite obvious to anybody who has actually looked at the penalties that those two were wrong but all the others were correctly given. We also had one absolutely 100% guaranteed penalty somehow not given to us (Fred being fouled by City last season) plus quite a few others that should really be given as well (such as Mings elbowing Pogba in the face while getting nowhere near the ball).

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
“ABU” media is a myth. United are the biggest & most supported club in the country, we generate the most interest hence why media either suck us off when we’re good or pile on with doom & gloom when we’re bad. It’s in the media’s best interest for United to be in the conversation.

All fans think media is against their club. Liverpool & City see themselves as hated by the media & consider United media darlings. It’s all just bullshit. All media care about is getting interest & making money. One of my best mates is a Southampton fan & he thinks media are unfair to Southampton & love all the big teams. It’s all nonsense

Acole9

Outstanding
“ABU” media is a myth. United are the biggest & most supported club in the country, we generate the most interest hence why media either suck us off when we’re good or pile on with doom & gloom when we’re bad. It’s in the media’s best interest for United to be in the conversation.

All fans think media is against their club. Liverpool & City see themselves as hated by the media & consider United media darlings. It’s all just bullshit. All media care about is getting interest & making money.
Finally someone who doesn't get sucked into all this paranoia.

When we used to win the league we could do no wrong. Every club gets an earful from the media we just notice it more with United because we don't really care what they would say about other clubs.

AshRK

The jealousy comes from the fact that most of the pundits are ex player themselves so when they see Ole , they just don't want to give him credit. Even if he wins the league they will find a way to mock him. I bet if instead of Ole our manager was Poch or Tuchel and we were in exact same position with similar play, pundits would have praised us and the manager.

The jealousy comes from the fact that most of the pundits are ex player themselves so when they see Ole , they just don't want to give him credit. Even if he wins the league they will find a way to mock him. I bet if instead of Ole our manager was Poch or Tuchel and we were in exact same position with similar play, pundits would have praised us and the manager.
I don’t believe this is true at all.

I’ve no idea about Tuchel and his background (can’t be arsed to google), but clearly Poch was a player. Or do you mean, just players how played with him are not willing to give him credit?

Either way, you are wrong. I see pundits being supportI e of Ole. The print media is a different matter, but those are journalists rather than ex players.

Hughie77

Agree, like the nob Danny Murphy, it's an unlikely title challenge from UTD , but it's good Liverpool and Man City have Challengers hes said. Bloody Hell patronising git, youd swear Liverpool have won 13 premier leagues, ohh we will drop away and cant sustain it. But liverpool and Manchester city can. He maybe right, but I think hes panicked early , hes shitting himself cause it could happen hes not liking it one bit.

90 + 5min

Penalites are up for discussion. Facts is important.

If you look at previous seasons in Premier League it is some wierd statements by ABU-people around. Last season we got most penalties and season before. That is correct. A couple against us aswell. Then you have to go back to season 2011/12 to see us at top in penalty awarded list. Why don't this kind of discussion come up? Why don't we talk about Liverpool getting 2 penalties combined against them last 2 seasons (before this). Now people will say, Oh it is because they dominate games. But they don't come to that conclusion when we are attacking teams and dominating.

Why just stop with penalties. Can we also look at all those small decision that for example Liverpool got last year. All those who either gone to VAR and those who didn't. All those given freekicks, corners, throw ins. Or maybe what about fixture list.

Haters will always hate.

AFC NimbleThumb

I was thinking more the 90's and 00's but fair enough if we're nitpicking each campaign.
Can’t agree mate.

How many times were Arsenal the ‘best footballing side’ in the League when we’d win it.

The pundit pool has generally been filled, pre-Neville with a swath of ex-Liverpool or former players that at some point had been spanked by us.

We get praise when we win something, generally due to the fact it can’t be disputed but take the 3/4 year love in with Klopp before Pool won a thing then look at the snipes OgS gets; Ian Wright was saying after Arsenal beat us at OT that Arteta would have us top of the league ffs :lol:

It’s nothing surprising though; we aren’t hugely represented in the media whereas our rivals are; bar Keane & Neville of late we rarely had our ex players on panels during the 90s/00s.

AshRK

I don’t believe this is true at all.

I’ve no idea about Tuchel and his background (can’t be arsed to google), but clearly Poch was a player. Or do you mean, just players how played with him are not willing to give him credit?

Either way, you are wrong. I see pundits being supportI e of Ole. The print media is a different matter, but those are journalists rather than ex players.
It depends on which pundits you follow. Most of the ESPNFC pundits mock ole constantly, ex scousers like carragher, souness, redknapp etc have been highly critical of Ole and thenyou have the likes of Denaley, castles, stewart robson, Bein sport pundits all who even to this day say Ole is a lucky manager. Tell me which other manager has a nickname PE teacher.

Whether you agree or not doesn't change the fact that Ole overall has been one of the most abused manager I have seen.

It depends on which pundits you follow. Most of the ESPNFC pundits mock ole constantly, ex scousers like carragher, souness, redknapp etc have been highly critical of Ole and thenyou have the likes of Denaley, castles, stewart robson, Bein sport pundits all who even to this day say Ole is a lucky manager. Tell me which other manager has a nickname PE teacher.

Whether you agree or not doesn't change the fact that Ole overall has been one of the most abused manager I have seen.
who calls him a PE teacher apart from the toxic element of our own fanbase and rival fans?

he has taken a load of crap, and I’ve supported him all along, I just think you have the source wrong.

what’s interesting is whether the press paint Ole as inadequate, and our own fans have lapped that up? Or whether the press report him as such because of our fanbase?

hopefully we are seeing the tide turn in any case.

cyberman

Theres also a strange movement to undermine our good run, for whatever reason.
I havent seen City touted as much as Liverpools title challengers since we started winning. Chelsea, Spurs all got that they look as if they are the main challengers talk. Utd?
Nope. Suddenly we made City better, maybe?

Acole9

Outstanding
Can’t agree mate.

How many times were Arsenal the ‘best footballing side’ in the League when we’d win it.

The pundit pool has generally been filled, pre-Neville with a swath of ex-Liverpool or former players that at some point had been spanked by us.

We get praise when we win something, generally due to the fact it can’t be disputed but take the 3/4 year love in with Klopp before Pool won a thing then look at the snipes OgS gets; Ian Wright was saying after Arsenal beat us at OT that Arteta would have us top of the league ffs :lol:

It’s nothing surprising though; we aren’t hugely represented in the media whereas our rivals are; bar Keane & Neville of late we rarely had our ex players on panels during the 90s/00s.
Oh don't get me wrong Arsenal were the best thing since sliced bread in the media after their title wins in 98 and 02. But I still can't buy into this ABU thing, I never have done.

I really do think other teams fans feel the same, I remember constantly hearing off people when we went through our golden period of the 90's and 00's that Martin Tyler and Andy Gray are United fans. I don't want to turn this thread into a political debate but it's only like when lefties think BBC are right wing and the righties think they're left wing. It's just the way society is I guess.

AshRK

who calls him a PE teacher apart from the toxic element of our own fanbase and rival fans?

he has taken a load of crap, and I’ve supported him all along, I just think you have the source wrong.

what’s interesting is whether the press paint Ole as inadequate, and our own fans have lapped that up? Or whether the press report him as such because of our fanbase?

hopefully we are seeing the tide turn in any case.
I gave you examples of pundits and media outlets who have been mocking Ole for a long time. Whether you choose to believe or not is up to you but doesn't mean my point is incorrect. Even Samuel Luckhurst acknowledged recently of how Ole is mocked and called PE teacher. Of course our own fans contribute the most negativity but there are pundits who have been constantly on his back from day one.

cyberman

In fairness, Richard Keys is an authority on cheating.
Have you heard his stuff on Bein? Pep was under pressure before the Liverpool game, they got a draw in a shit game and had nothing to talk about for half an hour.
Nothing anlysis for 10 mins until Keys suddenly started shouting, out of nowhere, Pep has to go and enough is enough! Blatantly trying to garner views and rescue 20 mibutes before the next game.
Hes a joke.

Amarsdd

I gave you examples of pundits and media outlets who have been mocking Ole for a long time. Whether you choose to believe or not is up to you but doesn't mean my point is incorrect. Even Samuel Luckhurst acknowledged recently of how Ole is mocked and called PE teacher. Of course our own fans contribute the most negativity but there are pundits who have been constantly on his back from day one.
This! its so evident I don't understand how some here don't see it or are just choosing not to.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
So he says 33 in a season and a half, then when they’re calculating they say ‘50 games’, using only PL games, which is ridiculous and makes a mockery of the fact they’re even bringing it up.

To then say ‘probably 20 of those are questionable’ which is absolute nonsense.

I can think of two which I felt were harsh. Villa and first one (I think) vs Norwich away last season

Crustanoid

Does Keys think his imbecilic drivel will stop the officials giving us clear penalties? Or does the delusional piece of sputum hope to get more awarded for one of the other teams.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
I don't pay much attention to the media side of football tbh because when it comes to man utd the utter bs 'journalists' get away with spouting without getting pulled up is mind bogglingly annoying. Keys with the 20 out of 33 wrongly awarded penalties thing - I just don't have any words.

United are always held to different standards to everyone else and the narrative is always skewed where our negatives are accentuated and the opposite for our rivals. I mean one would think that referees are just making the penalties up at this point and just handing it to is on a platter even though there's VAR, it can't be that our forwards playing style of keeping narrow, close and in the box playing dribbles one-twos and flicks that have defenders not knowing what to do.

Havak

Pokemon master
I'm sure Salah has scored 6 Penalties this season (5 Premier League). Vardy has scored the most Penalties in the Premier League and I'm sure he's missed at least one too. The three of them have very comparable Premier League stats:

PlayerAppearancesGoalsAssistsPenalties Taken (Scored)
Bruno Fernandes161176 (5)
Mo Salah151335 (5)
Jamie Vardy161148 (7)

We're used to it by now. There are players with similar numbers in similar amounts of games, there are teams with similar amounts of overall penalties this season, but it only matters when it's Manchester United (and Bruno Fernandes).

Kane has scored 3/3 Penalties this season, Zaha 2/2, Ings 2/3, and had a big injury to miss games etc. I just think being good at penalties and good at forcing challenges in the box to earn them is a huge part of football now (more so than ever before). Most of the top-scoring players will have a fair few penalties and it is highly probably to make up more than 20% of their goals like it does for all of the players I've mentioned so far.

If Penalties really 'don't count' as much, then the most productive and best players this season are arguably Son, Calvert-Lewin, and Bamford as the only players with 10+ Goals without taking a Penalty yet.

Let's just let everyone cry over it, I won't care what people say if we're winning trophies. Let the media fuel the salt.

lysglimt

Scout
We have a lot of fans who mock Ole a lot more than the pundits do - the ones who are generally most negative towards him are Burley and Ince. But imo - 2 former Liverpool-players have been fairly supportive towards him (Hutchison and Murphy)

DoomSlayer

I hope we score 20 more goals from penalties this season. Just to see all the rival and media tears.

Doracle

That Keys’ clip is shocking. If he’s going to basically call Rashford and Martial cheats, then he should review the 14 penalties they’ve won and show them diving to win them. I can’t recall any involving those two players which weren’t fairly blatant.

Instead, without any evidence (and despite VAR being in place throughout) he speculates that 20 of the penalties won overall - ie well over 50% - were dodgy. Absolute clown.

Zen86

What do you expect from Keys? The guys fighting to stay relevant, he’s the very definition of a has been. And what’s the easiest way to grab headlines? Have a pop at United.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
What do you expect from Keys? The guys fighting to stay relevant, he’s the very definition of a has been. And what’s the easiest way to grab headlines? Have a pop at United.
Keys is an absolute fecking idiot. Saying that United getting so many penalties needs looking into, as if suggesting corruption in favour of United. Penalties do get looked into, it’s called VAR the fecking biased dinosaur.

Handré1990

I'm sure Salah has scored 6 Penalties this season (5 Premier League). Vardy has scored the most Penalties in the Premier League and I'm sure he's missed at least one too. The three of them have very comparable Premier League stats:

PlayerAppearancesGoalsAssistsPenalties Taken (Scored)
Bruno Fernandes161176 (5)
Mo Salah151335 (5)
Jamie Vardy161148 (7)

We're used to it by now. There are players with similar numbers in similar amounts of games, there are teams with similar amounts of overall penalties this season, but it only matters when it's Manchester United (and Bruno Fernandes).

Kane has scored 3/3 Penalties this season, Zaha 2/2, Ings 2/3, and had a big injury to miss games etc. I just think being good at penalties and good at forcing challenges in the box to earn them is a huge part of football now (more so than ever before). Most of the top-scoring players will have a fair few penalties and it is highly probably to make up more than 20% of their goals like it does for all of the players I've mentioned so far.

If Penalties really 'don't count' as much, then the most productive and best players this season are arguably Son, Calvert-Lewin, and Bamford as the only players with 10+ Goals without taking a Penalty yet.

Let's just let everyone cry over it, I won't care what people say if we're winning trophies. Let the media fuel the salt.
Great post!

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
So he says 33 in a season and a half, then when they’re calculating they say ‘50 games’, using only PL games, which is ridiculous and makes a mockery of the fact they’re even bringing it up.
exactly

19/20 season
EL...................... 5 penalties (12 games)
PL.................... 14 penalties (38 games)
FA Cup............... 2 penalties (6 games)
Carabao Cup..... 4 penalties (5 games)
total: 25 penalties in 61 games

Europa League
Aug 16, 2020Bruno Fernandes / Sevilla - Man Utd2:19'0:1
Aug 10, 2020Bruno Fernandes / Man Utd - FC Copenhagen1:095'1:0
Feb 27, 2020Bruno Fernandes / Man Utd - Club Brugge5:027'1:0
Dec 12, 2019Juan Mata / Man Utd - AZ Alkmaar4:062'3:0
Oct 24, 2019Anthony Martial / Partizan - Man utd0:143'0:1
Premier League
Jul 26, 2020Bruno Fernandes / Leicester City - Man Utd0:271'0:1
Jul 9, 2020Bruno Fernandes / Aston Villa - Man Utd0:327'0:1
Jul 4, 2020Marcus Rashford / Man Utd - Bournemouth5:235'2:1
Jun 19, 2020Bruno Fernandes / Tottenham -Man Utd1:181'1:1
Feb 23, 2020Bruno Fernandes / Man Utd - Watford3:042'1:0
Jan 11, 2020Marcus rashford / Man Utd - Norwich City4:052'2:0
Dec 7, 2019Marcus Rashford / Man City - Man Utd1:223'0:1
Dec 4, 2019Marcus Rashford / Man Utd -Spurs2:149'2:1
Oct 27, 2019Anthony Martial / Norwich City -Man Utd (not in)1:344'0:2
Oct 27, 2019Marcus Rashford / Norwich City - Man Utd (not in)1:329'0:1
Sep 14, 2019Marcus Rashford / Man Utd - Leicester City1:08'1:0
Aug 24, 2019Marcus Rashford / Man Utd - Crystal Palace (not in)1:270'0:1
Aug 19, 2019Paul Pogba / Wolverhampton - Man Utd (not in)1:168'1:1
Aug 11, 2019Marcus Rashford / Man Utd - Chelsea4:018'1:0
FA Cup
Jul 19, 2020Bruno Fernandes / Man Utd - Chelsea1:385'1:3
Jan 26, 2020Mason Greenwood / Tranmere -Man Utd0:656'0:6
EFL Cup
Oct 30, 2019Marcus Rashford / Chelsea -Man utd1:225'0:1
Sep 25, 2019Daniel James / Man Utd - Rochdale (not in)6:5120'1:1
Sep 25, 2019Mason Greenwood / Man Utd - Rochdale (not in)6:5120'1:1
Sep 25, 2019Fred / Man Utd - Rochdale (not in)6:5120'1:1

20/21 season so far
CL........... 4 penalties (6 games)
PL .......... 6 penalties (16 games)
EFL Cup.. 1 penalty (3 games)
total: 11 penalties in 25 games

Champions Leagueft scoreminutescore
Dec 8, 2020Bruno Fernandes / Leipzig - Man Utd3:280'3:1
Nov 24, 2020Marcus Rashford / Man Utd- Basaksehir4:135'3:0
Oct 28, 2020Anthony Martial / Man Utd - Leipzig5:087'4:0
Oct 20, 2020Bruno Fernandes / PSG -Man Utd1:223'0:1
Premier League
Jan 1, 2021Bruno Fernandes / Man Utd -Aston Villa2:161'2:1
Dec 20, 2020Bruno Fernandes / Man Utd Leeds Utd6:270'6:1
Nov 21, 2020Bruno Fernandes / Man Utd - West Brom1:056'1:0
Oct 17, 2020Bruno Fernandes / Newcastle - Man Utd (not in)1:458'1:1
Oct 4, 2020Bruno Fernandes / Man Utd - Spurs1:62'1:0
Sep 26, 2020Bruno Fernandes / Brighton - Man Utd2:390'2:3
EFL Cup
Sep 22, 2020Juan Mata / Luton Town - Man Utd0:344'0:1

Last edited:

Zen86

Keys is an absolute fecking idiot. Saying that United getting so many penalties needs looking into, as if suggesting corruption in favour of United. Penalties do get looked into, it’s called VAR the fecking biased dinosaur.
He is an idiot with absolutely no credible argument, but there are a good few idiots out there who will lap it up. Anyone with a shred of sense knows better then to listen to that washed up tw*t.

Bobski

It has been a striking parade of pens, but that is league wide, not just at Utd. VAR has made refs more willing to award pens, when it used to be an unspoken rule that a foul in the box had to be of a higher order than one outside. That is gone now, and the impact is we are seeing so many pens that would have been classified as soft in years past.

Is this a good or bad thing, well it provides more goals for the stat obsessed to get off to, but it has also led to a massive increase in fishing for pens, looking for any contact, going down and then hoping that slow motion makes it look more dramatic than it really was. The Pogba one, I can see why it was given, but you would be jeered off at your local amateur level for claiming a pen for that, I think the punishment for a lot of these soft fouls is too harsh.

Hammondo

The defender, whether intentional or otherwise, clearly trips Pogba inside the box. How is that a soft penalty in any sense of the word?
Imo it was really minimal contact and pogba went down like a sack of potatoes.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
He also was the one who said that VAR should never come into football. Without VAR we'd have had more penalties.. one against City and I think there was one overturned that was given for a foul on Bruno but I forget the opposition.. was it the Brighton game?

Oh and Palace would not have had their penalty at OT as that was only given after review.

Amerifan

It’s awesome to read the idiot ABU comments on the BBC match threads. According to those geniuses our players have never won a game.

Bobski

He also was the one who said that VAR should never come into football. Without VAR we'd have had more penalties.. one against City and I think there was one overturned that was given for a foul on Bruno but I forget the opposition.. was it the Brighton game?
Do you believe that refs would have still awarded every pen without VAR to back them up?

Zen86

Imo it was really minimal contact and pogba went down like a sack of potatoes.
It was a stonewall penalty, there would be no debate if it was given the other way. Far more dubious penalties are given each and every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.