I see the 'ABU' Media are back in full voice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

poleglass red

I caught the match on DAZN yesterday, they had Jim Beglin as co commentator, when Albrighton made a pass, Beglin said that Albrighton is the best crosser of a ball in the history of the premier league

Amarsdd

The new media narrative seems to be damning with faint praise, or pinning our improvement entirely on signing Bruno. Dashed of course with lashings of VAR chatter.

The media were not shy of tearing Ole down when we were struggling, but since he and the team mounted a significant comeback to finish only behind two of the best teams in Europe no-one wants to talk about it.

Barney Ronay's latest is a good example of this, talking about Ole like he's some village idiot who won the lottery:
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-manchester-united-leicester-champions-league

of course 4th placed Lamps is the second coming.
yep, and sadly many United fans fall for it. Yesterday, some pundit's first comment was that we finished close to Bournemouth than to Liverpool and in the same breath went to say how Lampard had a brilliant season. And you know what, we have a thread about being close to Bournemouth than to liverpool here already.

Idxomer

I caught the match on DAZN yesterday, they had Jim Beglin as co commentator, when Albrighton made a pass, Beglin said that Albrighton is the best crosser of a ball in the history of the premier league
I heard that, hilarious stuff.

pascell

Beglin must have shares in Albrighton on Football Index coming out with comments like that.

Keefy18

Was it just me or did anyone else find the HT analysis on Sky really weird? The game was 0-0 and going in at HT I actually felt even though we were poor, we were still the better side.

Pogba created to great chances for Bruno & Martial alike, the former was offside and the latter had his shot blocked with Kasper beaten but lucky for him it went for a corner.

The spun a narrative that Leicester were the better side though cause De Gea fumbled a weak shot and Vardy clattered him?

Going on about how Brendan would of been the happier between Ole and himself... I mean, how does that work? A draw suited us and would of given us 4th and Leicester stuck in 5th! :lol: :lol:

Maticmaker

The fact that the media are reverting to type with "United this" and 'United that' proves one thing....we are on our way back and they know it......yipheeeeee! ;)

georgipep

Was it just me or did anyone else find the HT analysis on Sky really weird? The game was 0-0 and going in at HT I actually felt even though we were poor, we were still the better side.

Pogba created to great chances for Bruno & Martial alike, the former was offside and the latter had his shot blocked with Kasper beaten but lucky for him it went for a corner.

The spun a narrative that Leicester were the better side though cause De Gea fumbled a weak shot and Vardy clattered him?

Going on about how Brendan would of been the happier between Ole and himself... I mean, how does that work? A draw suited us and would of given us 4th and Leicester stuck in 5th! :lol: :lol:
It got even worse on MOTD later in the evening. Apparently Lampard is a miracle worker for getting Chelsea from 3rd to 4th but Ole wasn't even mentioned in the sentence about us, just Bruno being the catalyst.

No matter, I do enjoy watching us and I've never rated the Sky, BT and BBC pundits highly anyway.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

It wasn't weird really if you've been behind the scenes at TV shows. I have , and the direction will always try to demonstrate some semblance of balance so as to appear unbiased. It's all contrived. Imagine the furore if the pundits had stated the obvious?

Instead we had Micah stating that Leicester had the best chances and could have been 1-0 ahead, whereas the truth was that we were pretty controlled except for one good break that Itchy nachos fecked up

Fluctuation0161

He isn't, it's bollocks.

When Wenger was around, Tyler was an Arsenal fan as he said the unbeaten season was the greatest of the decade, now he's a Liverpool fan. Apparently he loves Pep's City as well.

In the past commentators like Brian Moore were supposedly Spurs fans,Tyldesley a Liverpool fan. I think it's harder for us to look at commentators without perceiving bais each time they try and put some balance into their commentary
He is from Chester. Closet Liverpool fan written all over his face. :lol:

Fluctuation0161

The way Chelsea were able to wantonly assault our players for an entire game without so much as a single booking is also something the media never acknowledged. You've seen teams do half as much and be called thugs. United apparently deserve to be fouled 25 times or however many it was.
This is also true.

Keefy18

It wasn't weird really if you've been behind the scenes at TV shows. I have , and the direction will always try to demonstrate some semblance of balance so as to appear unbiased. It's all contrived. Imagine the furore if the pundits had stated the obvious?

Instead we had Micah stating that Leicester had the best chances and could have been 1-0 ahead, whereas the truth was that we were pretty controlled except for one good break that Itchy nachos fecked up
Yeah I've been in the audience of a couple of different shows in my teens and its all very contrived.

It's crazy though how many supporters hang on the words of "pundits" as gospel. Arguably even the top 2 pundits in Neville & Carragher still spout out a ridiculous amount of nonsense.

As you say, we were quite controlled for the most part, one or two minor moments with Matic & Maguire with sloppy passes, but its not like De Gea was keeping us in the game like in previous seasons.

Halftrack

Yeah true, when Tyler shouted Aguerooooo, it was hard not to feel the universe was against us let alone Tyler.

There's probably loads of examples of when each commentator was pro United as well.
But his Macheeeeeda! in the win over Villa must have riled City and Liverpool fans :lol:

He's been notably praiseworthy whenever Greenwood's on the ball
There's also his orgasm when Martial scored against Liverpool on his debut.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Beglin hates Utd.

The end!

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
we don't need the ABU media, we have enough within our own fanbase.

Play the kids in an FA Cup semi final to get top 4. Now we have half the forum saying we should play the kids in the Europa league.

Not sure what happened to us to be honest, half of this place seem happy ttto be tArsenal.

E-mal

we don't need the ABU media, we have enough within our own fanbase.

Play the kids in an FA Cup semi final to get top 4. Now we have half the forum saying we should play the kids in the Europa league.

Not sure what happened to us to be honest, half of this place seem happy ttto be tArsenal.
People are worried about exhaustion seeing that the new season starts shortly.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I thought this guy was the shredding his legacy guy , but thats rob smyth

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/jul/31/sport.comment

The timing of that article hahahaha

An utter ABU

"the sight of the accidental saviour Ole Gunnar Solskjær bowling out on to the pitch looking wide-eyed and very slightly overcome in his skinny black suit and white shirt"
"The four wealthiest clubs in England will now take up those four spots and compete in the world’s glitziest midweek league. The teams who are usually the teams are once again the teams"
"Rarely has the line between over-promoted company man and curator of the thrilling new red dawn seemed so fine"
"Bruno Fernandes was poor, as he has been occasionally; a midfielder hoist as a panacea to successive seasons of incoherent squad-building"
"If there is little remarkable in Solskjær’s management, this is a virtue in itself. United’s manager has one outstanding quality: his lack of any obvious outstanding qualities"
"Solskjær has imposed a simple system and made some demands about fitness"

You can just imagine him red faced and constipated smashing out vitriol on his hipster fecking typewriter, weeping into a liverpool scarf.

Lets keep this sort of article in mind for next year. If i were solskjaer id print it out and stick it on the changing room wall
I don't think the Ronay one is so bad on its own, but Rob Smyth's pile of garbage is a classic.

edcunited1878

The ABU media in England, overall, are just really bad professionals. They pander to a narrative and say broad statements. Compared to NFL analysts, baseball, basketball, there are many of them that study, speak, and educate their listeners. At least the very top ones across all sports are part reporters, insiders, and insightful commentators whereas in England, you have them spouting shit that gets old and redundant in two weeks.

For example, Pogba got tackled on a corner, the one where Rashford smashed a shot from the right side of the box and Kasper parried away. You cannot hug your opponent and then land on them because that's a foul and not playing the ball from the corner. Vardy was offside when DDG fumbled the Iheancho shot, but then cleared it away from Vardy and it was cleared by Lindelof, but still offside and nothing to review as there was no goal.

Bruno got fouled in the second half after Leicester's player went through Bruno and he was taken off briefly. That shit takes it's toll and is very much worth talking about because it's impacting Bruno, but then he works through the knock and eventually plays the killer pass that leads to a United penalty that he then dispatches himself.

And let's not forget about Kasper's complete feck up at the end. No GK should be doing such a thing regardless if they are chasing a game and are already behind. That's fecking embarrassing.

Amarsdd

:lol: what a cnut Burley is! I haven't seen anyone more annoyed than him because of us finishing 3rd and Ole getting even a bit of credit. Was there anything between him and Ole during their playing times cause he really seems to hate Ole?

Okey

Fecking Craig Burley. There's flakes of snow at the North Pole more relevant than he is. We ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait till we actually start competing properly again. Never ignored...

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I heard this. Albrighton's crossing is not even as good as David Bentley, let alone Beckham.

Drainy

:lol: what a cnut Burley is! I haven't seen anyone more annoyed than him because of us finishing 3rd and Ole getting even a bit of credit. Was there anything between him and Ole during their playing times cause he really seems to hate Ole?
Nah Ole just dragged his nuts over pundits like Burley's face in the post match interview when he said pundits didn't expect us to be able to finish top 4 this year so it's an achievement.

Funny part is that Ole probably forgot about Burley's existence so it's doubley hard to take and the salt is flowing.

sugar_kane

Urgh what a hideously thick cnut, imagine how much he got paid for that.

He'd get cut off if he was a deranged caller on Talk Sport, how he holds down a paid media job I'll never know.

Let's see what Wikipedia has to say about him

"He went on to become a regular under Glenn Hoddle and played in the 1994 FA Cup Final against Manchester United, picking up a runners-up medal following a 4–0 defeat. Two years later, Chelsea got to the FA Cup semi finals where they again faced Manchester United. With the score level at 1–1, Burley hit an errant back pass to set up David Beckham for what proved to be the winning goal.[4] Chelsea won the 1996–97 FA Cup; Burley was left out of the squad for the final"

ah there it is.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I saw that. ESPN FC should be seen for what it is - entertainment. They offer zero insight and usually focus on sounding impressive and having a laugh. And they do have anti United bias which comes across as a little pathetic especially due to Nickel and Burley, with the latter seemingly being allowed to dominate the show at will.

crossy1686

career ending
Urgh what a hideously thick cnut, imagine how much he got paid for that.

He'd get cut off if he was a deranged caller on Talk Sport, how he holds down a paid media job I'll never know.

Let's see what Wikipedia has to say about him

"He went on to become a regular under Glenn Hoddle and played in the 1994 FA Cup Final against Manchester United, picking up a runners-up medal following a 4–0 defeat. Two years later, Chelsea got to the FA Cup semi finals where they again faced Manchester United. With the score level at 1–1, Burley hit an errant back pass to set up David Beckham for what proved to be the winning goal.[4] Chelsea won the 1996–97 FA Cup; Burley was left out of the squad for the final"

ah there it is.
The good thing about football is video's like this never go away and next season they look really fecking embarrassing for the person giving the 'hot take'

sugar_kane

The good thing about football is video's like this never go away and next season they look really fecking embarrassing for the person giving the 'hot take'
This video of Burley will also never go away, what an assist!

It'd be a shame to see it repeatedly tweeted at him every time he says something ridiculous about United.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

Embarrassing from Burley. Does he even realise that Solskjaer took more points off the rest of the top 6 than every other manager bar Klopp? Why, so, is he bleating on about Solskjaer needing to improve tactically against the best managers in the league?

That is a disgraceful piece of commentary all told. Is Burley that popular with American viewers? He’d be laughed out of a studio in England with that nonsense.

theklr

Embarrassing from Burley. Does he even realise that Solskjaer took more points off the rest of the top 6 than every other manager bar Klopp? Why, so, is he bleating on about Solskjaer needing to improve tactically against the best managers in the league?

That is a disgraceful piece of commentary all told. Is Burley that popular with American viewers? He’d be laughed out of a studio in England with that nonsense.
It is a good point about the pressing from the first commentator though. Its abit like our problems with low blocks earlier.

Hope Solskjær will figure it out because atm we're not looking like we have a solution to it.

GenZRed

I found that weird too. I found the first half to be fairly even and I felt comfortable watching the first half. I expected Keane to set them straight but he was saying how he was nervous himself. I can understand being nervous at 0-0 going into the last twenty minutes, since it was bad enough being 1-0 to us, but not in the first half when the game is even!

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
It is a good point about the pressing from the first commentator though. Its abit like our problems with low blocks earlier.

Hope Solskjær will figure it out because atm we're not looking like we have a solution to it.
It is, but they built their whole narrative around two games where we were obviously jaded from playing circa. 11 games in 30 days. What about the other games we played well in against a high press? We have beaten City and Chelsea convincingly numerous times this season and acquitted ourselves well v *, when we were unlucky not to win at home and arguably deserved a draw for our second half performance at Anfield.

The fact is, there is ample evidence we are on the right track and have the second-best points haul v top 6 teams in the whole league. How, then, can these tools suggest Solskjaer has still to prove himself against the best managers in the league? It’s preposterous.

Keefy18

I found that weird too. I found the first half to be fairly even and I felt comfortable watching the first half. I expected Keane to set them straight but he was saying how he was nervous himself. I can understand being nervous at 0-0 going into the last twenty minutes, since it was bad enough being 1-0 to us, but not in the first half when the game is even!
I was still on edge, my nerves were shot if I'm honest but that's just my personal emotional investment in the club and it getting back into the CL... a stepping stone to the next phase of improvement if we are to make it.

But yeah, it was a very even... going in 0-0 was absolutely fine.

Possession 57 / 43 % in our favor
Shots 5 a piece
1 on target a piece

ArjenIsM3

No he wouldn't. The "experts" in England are just as bad and spout nonsense all the time.

pav1790

worrying thing is, some of our fans sound like Craig Burley. His delusion notwithstanding, some of the fans should take a hard look in the mirror and see if they want to be as miserable as the king of miserable <something that rhymes with shunts>.

Cantonagotmehere

It got even worse on MOTD later in the evening. Apparently Lampard is a miracle worker for getting Chelsea from 3rd to 4th but Ole wasn't even mentioned in the sentence about us, just Bruno being the catalyst.

No matter, I do enjoy watching us and I've never rated the Sky, BT and BBC pundits highly anyway.
To me it will make the rise back up to the top that much more fun. Been a tough few years and finally feels like United have turned the corner, might take a little longer but sure feels like we will frustrate the ABUs sooner than later. I'm going to enjoy the journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.