I see the 'ABU' Media are back in full voice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluctuation0161

I don't keep a record, and I don't watch Sky in particular, but I've seen this at least 100 times over the years. It's also extremely common for commertators to mention suff like that.
I agree commentators run out of talking points, so team value has definitely been part of their waffle at times. Just never seen it as a graphic before.

You've seen that 100 times? That's quite a high number considering you don't keep a record.

Strange that I haven't seen it more than once.

Amir

The press are praising us (to an extent) at the moment, they want to build us up so they can bring us back down to earth if it goes wrong.

Can't stand the media.
The press can't win here, can they? If they they the opposite they'll be blamed for not praising United...

SirFergie

Just to do a comparison? Perhaps praising Burnley for holding their own for most the match when one of our subs is the price of their whole starting 11.

I don't really know why people are getting so uptight about it. They probably have done it in other matches but we've not picked up on it because it's not our team.
A comparison? A big club spends more than a small club shocker.

Fitchett

I don't keep a record, and I don't watch Sky in particular, but I've seen this at least 100 times over the years. It's also extremely common for commertators to mention suff like that.
I've never seen a caption like that before, and I watch plenty of live matches, as my wife will testify ......... I look forward to it being a regular feature on matches involving other teams on Sky.

pav1790

Just to do a comparison? Perhaps praising Burnley for holding their own for most the match when one of our subs is the price of their whole starting 11.

I don't really know why people are getting so uptight about it. They probably have done it in other matches but we've not picked up on it because it's not our team.
Aw wee plucky Burnley holding their own. It's honestly bad for the sport to have such sides with no ambition but to stick around in the premier leauge. Under Sean Dyche, they have developed very few footballers of any note. In terms of players that have gone out, only Michael Keane and Trippier - both defenders - are of any worth. That's two players in 8 solid years. And both were academy graduates from united and city, who just couldn't find a place at their club because of others ahead of them.

mark_a

At the moment they're never missing a chance to add the "with a game in hand" when discussing City's position, but it wasn't usually mentioned when we were either a) not doing well or b) doing a lot better & closing on #1!

All part of the ABU noise, but really this is just that City closing in on United, is a story people are interested in, whereas people just care less about anyone closing on City or even Liverpool.
Also a proper load of quality BS yesterday, with the odd "even voices within Old Trafford surprised United are 1st"? What?
Anyway, you don't need a degree in media analysis to know that if United had not scored for several games & were sliding from 1st to 4th there would be headlines being written.

sugar_kane

There are a lot of cautiously positive articles about the team at the moment which seem largely fair.

Some of the journos can't resist mentioning what a 'weird' and 'strange' season it has been, nicely laying the groundwork to write off any eventual success should it arrive, but again that can hardly be argued with.

Hughie77

I was a bit pissed off yesterday with, the constant reminder that the dippers had injuries. I thought they bought Alacantara who was the best cm in Europe he played, Salah did Mane Firmino, Henderson, Winjaladum , Trent, Robertson, Allisson . All where ever present in a league winning side. And it would all be different if not for those etc, etc.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I was a bit pissed off yesterday with, the constant reminder that the dippers had injuries. I thought they bought Alacantara who was the best cm in Europe he played, Salah did Mane Firmino, Henderson, Winjaladum , Trent, Robertson, Allisson . All where ever present in a league winning side. And it would all be different if not for those etc, etc.
If I hear makeshift again I will scream.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I agree commentators run out of talking points, so team value has definitely been part of their waffle at times. Just never seen it as a graphic before.

You've seen that 100 times? That's quite a high number considering you don't keep a record.

Strange that I haven't seen it more than once.
I also second her point, I’ve seen it happen often.

midou

"The table never lies", well there is one more thing that "never lies" - the ABU media hate. Referee ending the first half on a "clear" Liverpool chance, Steve me quotes about Bruno's "disasterclass"... love it.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I think we should have beaten Liverpool.

That being said, does everyone notice the prevailing message from the press is that United squandered an opportunity?

Compare and contrast that with how Spurs lost there 2-1 in the last minute and it was somehow evidence that Jose was back.

In fairness, United need some sort of statement win to change the narrative into one where people believe they can win the league.

lysglimt

Scout
The strange thing with the pundits in my opinion - is that the most negative towards United are not the former Liverpool-pundits like Nicol, Souness, Carragher, Hutchison and Murphy - but Paul Ince who still seems to hate United because of Ferguson kicking him out, or the worst of the bunch Craig "thanks for the backpass" Burnley - or Simon Jordan

romufc

The strange thing with the pundits in my opinion - is that the most negative towards United are not the former Liverpool-pundits like Nicol, Souness, Carragher, Hutchison and Murphy - but Paul Ince who still seems to hate United because of Ferguson kicking him out, or the worst of the bunch Craig "thanks for the backpass" Burnley - or Simon Jordan
Paul Ince is a hater. He also did not like Ole getting the job.. saying anyone could have done the job.

ShinjiNinja26

That’s because the likes of Craig Burley are bitter, jealous cnuts that hate the club because of how successful we were and know they were to shite to ever dream of being part of a club like United.

GledTheRed

Getting stick for not having a go as Liverpool were there for the taking etc and we didn't dominate. They haven't been beaten at home for years and when they were absolutely shot and we were class we have never dominated at Annfield and always struggled.

cyberman

Getting stick for not having a go as Liverpool were there for the taking etc and we didn't dominate. They haven't been beaten at home for years and when they were absolutely shot and we were class we have never dominated at Annfield and always struggled.
Contrast that with Citys 0-0 against us when we just got beat by RBL, morale at a low and they play 2 dms, no striker and sub in defensive players in the last 20 mins.
Somehow that was still Utds fault

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
This narrative that is now being pushed that we were the favourites on Sunday or that we should be disappointed with a draw is baffling.

The most common line is '2 central midfielders in defence', ignoring the fact that Fabinho has (rightly) received high praise for his performances there this season

Lemansky

This narrative that is now being pushed that we were the favourites on Sunday or that we should be disappointed with a draw is baffling.

The most common line is '2 central midfielders in defence', ignoring the fact that Fabinho has (rightly) received high praise for his performances there this season
It’s bullshit. That we should go there and dominate possession. Don’t remember we ever did that, also under SAF. These games where always tight as hell also under the great man and with a lot less quality in the Liverpool teams. We did good on Sunday and nothing else matters.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
It’s bullshit. That we should go there and dominate possession. Don’t remember we ever did that, also under SAF. These games where always tight as hell also under the great man and with a lot less quality in the Liverpool teams. We did good on Sunday and nothing else matters.
Exactly. Going to Anfield 3 points ahead of them, the number 1 target is always going to be 'dont lose'. Would it have been better if we'd won? Of course. But it's a much better point for United than Liverpool and for these pundits who were claiming Ole was a joke of a manager and United were finished after the Spurs game, are now the same ones saying that we should be going to the home of one of the top 5 teams in the world over the past 3 years and dominating the ball and the game. Bizarre.

sugar_kane

It also ignores the fact that Fabinho played as a defender for Monaco on a fairly regular basis (albeit as a full back I believe)

DomesticTadpole

It also ignores the fact that Fabinho played as a defender for Monaco on a fairly regular basis (albeit as a full back I believe)
You would think if you played in a defence it would give you some idea about positioning. Today they are still rattling on about a makeshift defence. They still had supposedly the best two fullbacks in the PL and the best goalkeeper.

Glorio

Been thinking the exact same thing .... All they were missing were the 2 CBs, that's a big miss to be fair, but you'd think they were missing half their team

romufc

You would think if you played in a defence it would give you some idea about positioning. Today they are still rattling on about a makeshift defence. They still had supposedly the best two fullbacks in the PL and the best goalkeeper.
I really hate this narrative. Make shift defence and team.

In that team, they missed VVD from their best 11. Thiago was meant to propel them to new heights as well.

Fabinho has played CB and he is the reason they went into the season with 3 senior CB's, because he can play there.

Its a narrative used by the media too, last season when Laporte was injured, the narrative was City failed to buy a CB that has costed them the league, with Liverpool its feeling sorry for them.

kirk buttercup

Liverpool aren't the first team to have to put a makeshift Defence together ,United have done it loads of times over the years. WE squandered a chance ? according to the press werent we playing the greatest team ever ? with their Genius Manager who havent been beaten at home in over a year ? surely he could come up with a plan to beat the PE teacher even with his makeshift defence? and as for his comments about us being defensive would you rather we rolled over so you could scratch our Bellies? Ole knew first and foremost we had to stop Liverpool and we did . And we were Unlucky not to get a winner . Excuses Excuses from Liverpool and the press After all this is the worst United side in living memory isnt it ? a bunch of Spoofers . Surely the mighty Liverpool should have put these bluffers to the sword ? Apparently not.

Liverpool are now learning that heavy is the head that wears the crown , all teams will go out and stop them . Lets see how they adapt when Teams have finally figured them out.

Last edited:

Infra-red

That was probably nine of Liverpool's best eleven, so hardly 'makeshift'. That being said, they are a shadow of the side we've seen for the last two seasons and it does therefore feel a bit like an opportunity missed (even though the result was objectively a decent one).

Okey

I love the ABU media. They're what I hang on to for relevance in these lean times. It'll be interesting to see how they report the dippers' next game. Burnley will give them a very different challenge from us and I expect them to struggle again.

eire-red

The media have lambasted Ole, and made all sorts of claims about his ability as manager. It's a case of doubling down now, or admitting they were wrong. This is why we're seeing the nonsense articles that united are in a 'false position' bla bla bla.

We're top of the league because we've been the most consistent team this season, and that's with no pre season. It's funny all the excuses that are being made now about Liverpool's injuries, and City's poor form. At the start of the season, everyone was lining up to take a swipe at us, and nobody wanted to acknowledge the obvious, that we were nowhere near the fitness levels required, and now could we be?

It's annoying, but it's also a positive because it shows that we're coming good again. Also, it helps create that siege mentality that Fergie used to do so well.

Maticmaker

I agree with many posters on here who take the view that every time United get a mention in match commentary even when they are not actually playing, it adds to 'the United pot' and supports the point about "there's no such thing as bad publicity".

United, whether we like it or not are a 'benchmark' especially in terms of English football in particular the PL, as we lead Liverpool 13 to 1 in PL titles. The value of the Club, the size of the Ground, aura of 'the Theatre of Dreams, the money spent on players (even the duff ones), first English Club to enter European Cup, the top title treble of 1999/20 winners, etc. Sponsors love it when the hear the words 'Manchester United' issuing forth from the mouths of people they haven't had to pay, 'grits to the mill' . Not everything presented, falls into in the ABU category, but even when it is we should stick out our chests with pride because envy is at the root of much of this!

Just a point about Klopp; is he showing signs of wear, are the cracks appearing? Based on his recent utterances of protesting our performances, penalty awards etc. he is definitely under pressure after his success last year. Jurgen's past record as a Manager in Germany suggests he hits the front spectacularly, in 2 to 3 years, but then fades equally as fast, perhaps after this year, two season left at Anfield?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Contrast that with Citys 0-0 against us when we just got beat by RBL, morale at a low and they play 2 dms, no striker and sub in defensive players in the last 20 mins.
Somehow that was still Utds fault
It was exactly the same when Chelsea came for a 0-0 at Old Trafford. All we heard from the media afterwards was that Man Utd weren't imposing enough, should've taken the game to Chelsea. Whereas Lampard was gee'd up for fixing Chelsea's leaky defence and bringing in the experience of Thiago Silva to shut us down.

On the subject of Lampard, even now Simon Jordan is claiming Lampard is a better coach than Ole:

They've just gone all in on the PE teacher, Utd are inconsistent narrative, that they can't give us any credit for anything.

DomesticTadpole

It was exactly the same when Chelsea came for a 0-0 at Old Trafford. All we heard from the media afterwards was that Man Utd weren't imposing enough, should've taken the game to Chelsea. Whereas Lampard was gee'd up for fixing Chelsea's leaky defence and bringing in the experience of Thiago Silva to shut us down.

On the subject of Lampard, even now Simon Jordan is claiming Lampard is a better coach than Ole:

They've just gone all in on the PE teacher, Utd are inconsistent narrative, that they can't give us any credit for anything.
Was listening to that earlier, just switched off. There is absolutely no proof that Lampard is any more than a decent coach.

Fluctuation0161

His argument is basically, " I have made up my mind and no amount of new information will change that".

Why do idiots get a platform in the media? Why does anyone listen to them? We live in an idiocracy.

cyberman

That annoys me when somebody cannot admit they were wrong. I'd imagine Simon Jordan is always right.
He has got caught out a few times and when called out on it he claims it has to be heard in context and isnt what he said etc without even providing the context.
In short, he is never wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.