I see the 'ABU' Media are back in full voice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GazTheLegend

On a tangent somewhat but if you watched MOTD last night you'd have thought West Ham were hard done by, but that doesn't really do justice to a game we were the better team in by a distance. I know they have a bit of a duty to show both teams best moments in a way, but it felt egregious somehow. The commentary was similar in that they were a bit overly kind to West Ham, given that we had 3x the number of shots and they had 6 and an xG (I know) of like 0.2.

To be fair we were outplayed by Brentford and Villa at previous so I won't moan about their coverage of that, but sometimes it does feel like they're trying to pick holes in a game where there weren't many (if any) at all.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Darren Lewis of the mirror was raging on SSN today stating Cavani was offside because his hand was offside

Posh Red

Darren Lewis of the mirror was raging on SSN today stating Cavani was offside because his hand was offside
I heard a journalist on talkshite this morning suggesting the decision must have been rushed and it was very ‘suspicious’ (that’s the word he used). He was fairly sure it was offside.

I’m looking forward to tomorrow as I assume the Liverpool decisions will face the same scrutiny…

Coleyoscar

On a tangent somewhat but if you watched MOTD last night you'd have thought West Ham were hard done by, but that doesn't really do justice to a game we were the better team in by a distance. I know they have a bit of a duty to show both teams best moments in a way, but it felt egregious somehow. The commentary was similar in that they were a bit overly kind to West Ham, given that we had 3x the number of shots and they had 6 and an xG (I know) of like 0.2.

To be fair we were outplayed by Brentford and Villa at previous so I won't moan about their coverage of that, but sometimes it does feel like they're trying to pick holes in a game where there weren't many (if any) at all.
Completely agree. Anyone depending on the MoTD highlights would have believed it was an even contest.

Match was shown live in Ireland and Gary Breen was the ex-Dipper co- commentator that seems to be a contractual requirement for coverage of all United games here.

When it came to half time a stats display came up on the screen showing (from memory):-
Shots United: 16 - West Ham:1
Shots on Target 1-1.
He says: "There you go, one shot on target each..."
To be fair, he's not the worst.

Hughie77

Agree , I don't watch MOTD as a rule not for a while, and it's because of what you just mentioned, so I watched it this morn to see what crap came out if there gobs. And it was as I expected the highlights showed the 3 west ham chances and there deflected shot on target in the 90th min. Then Murphy goes and analyses how UTD were better after the subs, etc the commentary of that Guy Mowbry is as bad and Bias I've heard they seem gutted UTD score! It was imo a deserved win it just took us 93mins to score. I watched it all and UTD were the only team who went full out for a winner , West ham went hoping for a winner.

GazTheLegend

Agree , I don't watch MOTD as a rule not for a while, and it's because of what you just mentioned, so I watched it this morn to see what crap came out if there gobs. And it was as I expected the highlights showed the 3 west ham chances and there deflected shot on target in the 90th min. Then Murphy goes and analyses how UTD were better after the subs, etc the commentary of that Guy Mowbry is as bad and Bias I've heard they seem gutted UTD score! It was imo a deserved win it just took us 93mins to score. I watched it all and UTD were the only team who went full out for a winner , West ham went hoping for a winner.
Yes. Compare the headlines after we beat Villa in that (pretty even really even if they edged it) FA cup game. "FA Cup third round: Man Utd beat dominant Aston Villa - reaction".

Every headline feels designed deliberately to antagonise us and it's really fecking odd, quite frankly. It's not even clickbait because why do BBC even need the clicks, they're just propaganda anyway. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/59644326

Ok they get clicks but it actively makes me hate the BBC, and you'd think they'd start being a bit less dishonest in these times when people are more reluctant than ever to renew the TV license.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's a very strange relationship with the press at times, as however United are doing, they will always be a far bigger story than any other team. That's City cruising leagues, Liverpool under Klopp, whatever Chelsea are doing. It must infuriate other fans.

The press seemingly have a real desire for us to be back on top, while revelling in our down times too.
Both get loads of clickbait.

Tyrion

As far as I can tell, whenever we don't outplay the opposition completely and win comfortably, then the other team "deserved" to win instead. I've seen us play some crap games were neither side does anything useful but the opposition gets a scrappy goal from a corner or something and it's hailed as a defensive masterclass by them and a well-earned win.

cyberman

MOTD has gone downhill. They were posting on social media asking if Cavani should have been given off under a pic of a VAR less screen grab. The official VAR decision was there for feck sake.
Thats not talking about the Villa offside goal in the cup when they literally argued it should be given in spite of the rules. It’s all so blatant

GazTheLegend

As far as I can tell, whenever we don't outplay the opposition completely and win comfortably, then the other team "deserved" to win instead. I've seen us play some crap games were neither side does anything useful but the opposition gets a scrappy goal from a corner or something and it's hailed as a defensive masterclass by them and a well-earned win.
This is exactly how I feel about the BBC coverage of our games. They use deliberately inflammatory language too. God forbid there's ever a contentious decision that goes our way, for instance all they could talk about in the 9-0 win over Southampton seemed to be one of the penalties we got at 7-0 up (which was arguably the correct decision!) with Anthony Martial, I'm sure it was even called disgraceful? But if we have a decision that could go our way (like the Ronaldo penalty yesterday!!!!!) They don't even mention it or analyse it for a second!

Tyrion

This is exactly how I feel about the BBC coverage of our games. They use deliberately inflammatory language too. God forbid there's ever a contentious decision that goes our way, for instance all they could talk about in the 9-0 win over Southampton seemed to be one of the penalties we got at 7-0 up (which was arguably the correct decision!) with Anthony Martial, I'm sure it was even called disgraceful? But if we have a decision that could go our way (like the Ronaldo penalty yesterday!!!!!) They don't even mention it or analyse it for a second!
If debatable penalties are given to us, its unfair and bad refereeing. If they're given against us, it's our fault for not being too good for it to matter.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
That Darren Lewis thing absolutely enraged me when I heard it.

Should journalists at the very least not understand the rules? Offside isn’t subjective.

Corey

Spot on.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

What do you expect from the BBC in general?

Never mind MOTD, their sports and news departments are useless. They don’t do journalism anymore, it’s just headline and clickbait. Their shows, the evening news shows, their website, Twitter.

They’re a dinosaur.

Robindinho

Saw that, tried to claim it was a dodgy decision/error from VAR and then said something along the lines of 'I know people will say you can't score with your hand but offside is offside'. :confused:

Giggsyking

These pair of wankers are gutted Cavani was onside.
These clown wanted to moan but they couldnt. The number of idiots who think the lines are drawn by the official themselves (and not by a computer) is laughable. It is like people can not understand simple physics and optics in regards of perspective.

ZupZup

The offside arguments are bit bonkers anyway...

Because of the VAR camera frame rates there is a big margin of error. A player will move about 6 inches from one camera frame to the very next frame. They have to try and pick a camera frame that shows the ball has definitely been played to make their judgement but it's not that precise.

The reality is that in tight decisions like this the benefit of doubt should go to the attacker because the technology is so far from perfect and we can't know for sure.

Giggsyking

Because of the VAR camera frame rates there is a big margin of error. A player will move about 6 inches from one camera frame to the very next frame. They have to try and pick a camera frame that shows the ball has definitely been played to make their judgement but it's not that precise.

The reality is that in tight decisions like this the benefit of doubt should go to the attacker because the technology is so far from perfect and we can't know for sure.
How many FPS does these Cameras that are making the offside decisions have?

romufc

This must be the biggest ABU... EVERY goal is checked for offside. Why are people making it as if it wasn't checked.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
That's bizarre. Really sounding depressed over the goal being given and then Keys says they shouldn't even bother looking at the close ones? They seem conflicted. Do they have a massive agenda against VAR as well?
Keys and Gray have never been fond of VAR, even before it was introduced in England.

Giggsyking

That's bizarre. Really sounding depressed over the goal being given and then Keys says they shouldn't even bother looking at the close ones? They seem conflicted. Do they have a massive agenda against VAR as well?
I know about their agenda against united, VAR i dont know.

cyberman

VAR didn’t even give it onside, the linesman didn’t flag. Any argument about VAR doesn’t make sense.
Edit if the ball has left Martials foot then Canani is even more onside since the frame should be from sooner. They’re all over the place

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
When you’re talking about individual frames and there’s still a debate to be had, it should always be a goal.

If Harry Maguire bought down someone the way Ronaldo was brought down at the weekend, they’d still be moaning about how a penalty wasn’t given all week, regardless of whether that was a penalty or not. For Ronaldo it was looked at, not given and forgotten about. Against Maguire it’s looked at, not given and seen as proof of corruption to fit the narrative.

And when Cavani has been shown to be onside, they still ignore that and carry on with the narrative anyway.

Thunderhead

Supports
City

absolutely, you shouldn't even need lines, it should only be for clear and obvious errors when a player is clearly offside, same with the Pen decision in the 'pool game yesterday, absolutely no need for VAR as it wasn't a clear and obvious error (it wasn't even a pen IMO ffs)

cyberman

absolutely, you shouldn't even need lines, it should only be for clear and obvious errors when a player is clearly offside, same with the Pen decision in the 'pool game yesterday, absolutely no need for VAR as it wasn't a clear and obvious error (it wasn't even a pen IMO ffs)
A lot of these are clear though. It may look like just a foot or two offside but that’s huge in terms of offside. The really close calls seem to be getting phased out

Thunderhead

Supports
City
A lot of these are clear though. It may look like just a foot or two offside but that’s huge in terms of offside. The really close calls seem to be getting phased out
totally agree, 1 foot is generally clear, even 6 inches doesn't take 3 mins of stupid lines, it's the ones where it's clearly so fractional dependent on which frame that use >6" I'd say where they just need to go with the on field decision.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

I checked the BBC live text in the middle of the West Ham game, to see what was going on with that drone at the Brentford game, and even that was the same. There was quotes from Dion Dublin saying that Antonio was bullying our centre backs and West Ham were controlling the midfield, creating chances. I felt like I was watching a different game to him. I don't think Antonio bullied anyone even once, or even came close.

Maticmaker

Never mind Arteta, any manager with any sense would have an eye on Greenwood.

Especially as in the last two games Mason has shown some improvement in his decision-making, which does still have someway to go, but its now beyond ...'the every time I cut in from the left/right I have to shoot...' tendency, he now looks to see if there are options and he is doing some chasing back.

This is a big change in the lads ' mind set' and should not be underestimated!

Mason is once again seemingly 'back on track' to becoming the top class forward he has given indications of and we've be hoping for.

Hughie77

Yes. Compare the headlines after we beat Villa in that (pretty even really even if they edged it) FA cup game. "FA Cup third round: Man Utd beat dominant Aston Villa - reaction".

Every headline feels designed deliberately to antagonise us and it's really fecking odd, quite frankly. It's not even clickbait because why do BBC even need the clicks, they're just propaganda anyway. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/59644326

Ok they get clicks but it actively makes me hate the BBC, and you'd think they'd start being a bit less dishonest in these times when people are more reluctant than ever to renew the TV license.
The next round of the cup is on itv. Maybe a bit better. And since Saturday if read fecking Shearer saying the goal could have been given offside , and it was harsh on West Ham to lose, ffs we put 4 strikers on to Try and win the game, and they had 1 shot on target on 90mins. When or when are they going to just well I don't fecking know what there on about half the time that's why I stopped watching MOTD.
I can remember few yrs back P Neville on it with Murphy . When Herrera put a cracking through ball for us to score, and Neville was saying how good a pass it was , and Murphy says it wasn't that good, an Nev says you couldn't have done it. Haven't seen Phill on it much after that.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

:confused:
Horribly wrong tweet, also paraphrasing the article completely wrong (where it says " It was the fifth time in 11 games under Rangnick that United had failed to win"). Unacceptable from such a massive outlet to be honest. Also, tweet still stands 10 hours later, what the feck.

Status
Not open for further replies.