I solemnly swear I won’t get hyper excited over transfer business or lack thereof

Nickelodeon

While I understand that the thread title is gimmicky in nature, this is indeed a serious thread. We are going to undergo a period of change. A major one at that which covers our squad, our manager, the structure upstairs and hopefully, our recruitment process. Unless you're living under a rock, you would've realized that any Manchester United news sells. Unnamed sources will become more active, agents will be using our name to get their players new contracts/other offers and a tsunami-like wave of transfer rumors will begin. And this is where it becomes problematic. While rumors have always been a part of the silly season, we are starting to reach a point where the discussion over those rumors leads to judgments being made whether a coach is a fraud or a genius. Whether we're going to slide further down the table or are going to win every tournament we play in.

There will be signings and there will be opinions formed over it. But we need to be focused on the fact that we're a team which will have finished in 6th-8th position. Erik Ten Hag, if he replicates his Ajax style, will have a challenge which is worse than starting from scratch. He will have a squad which is used to being outplayed. Some players would be obvious picks for him but some squad members would also let him down. We have hit such a low point right now that all we can hope for next season is improvement. That improvement may or may not be displayed through results on the pitch. A corollary could also happen like under Ole where we had false positives which lured us into a sense of optimism only to be kicked in the nuts.

Either way, the longer we stay away from the pitch, the more mental mathematicians and armchair pundits build us up and how we will definitely be back. Last years transfer business when observed on paper had us bringing in proven players with massive hype and this years business could generate a similar media response in a positive or negative way. On paper, all years where we signed Di Maria, Schmidfield, Zlatan, Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, Varane, Ronaldo, Sancho etc had been considered successful windows.

Hence, for the sake of our own mental sanity and world peace, let us all pledge that there will be no over-excitement, extreme reactions and especially, description of their state of arousal with respect to transfer signings or rumors.

Tavern in the town

The opposite for me. Getting worked up about signing a few players and making cocky brags is part of being a fan, who cares if you could potentially look like a tit afterwards.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Paul Hirst mentioned £120m budget before sale. Do anyone really get hyper excited with that?

Although, Im hyper excited to end this season asap. Only one game left.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
It does have the feeling of an underwhelming summer coming up. Unless we get £100m in sales and a wage book of around £1m per week freed up (the latter being more likely), it's not going to be a lot of fun.

RiqCantona

While I understand that the thread title is gimmicky in nature, this is indeed a serious thread. We are going to undergo a period of change. A major one at that which covers our squad, our manager, the structure upstairs and hopefully, our recruitment process. Unless you're living under a rock, you would've realized that any Manchester United news sells. Unnamed sources will become more active, agents will be using our name to get their players new contracts/other offers and a tsunami-like wave of transfer rumors will begin. And this is where it becomes problematic. While rumors have always been a part of the silly season, we are starting to reach a point where the discussion over those rumors leads to judgments being made whether a coach is a fraud or a genius. Whether we're going to slide further down the table or are going to win every tournament we play in.

There will be signings and there will be opinions formed over it. But we need to be focused on the fact that we're a team which will have finished in 6th-8th position. Erik Ten Hag, if he replicates his Ajax style, will have a challenge which is worse than starting from scratch. He will have a squad which is used to being outplayed. Some players would be obvious picks for him but some squad members would also let him down. We have hit such a low point right now that all we can hope for next season is improvement. That improvement may or may not be displayed through results on the pitch. A corollary could also happen like under Ole where we had false positives which lured us into a sense of optimism only to be kicked in the nuts.

Either way, the longer we stay away from the pitch, the more mental mathematicians and armchair pundits build us up and how we will definitely be back. Last years transfer business when observed on paper had us bringing in proven players with massive hype and this years business could generate a similar media response in a positive or negative way. On paper, all years where we signed Di Maria, Schmidfield, Zlatan, Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, Varane, Ronaldo, Sancho etc had been considered successful windows.

Hence, for the sake of our own mental sanity and world peace, let us all pledge that there will be no over-excitement, extreme reactions and especially, description of their state of arousal with respect to transfer signings or rumors.
Have to agree. I also think that for a change the club will try to keep everything under wraps. Actual info regarding budget and targets may not be as open in this window - something I appreciate.

I hope are signings are shrewd and smart. We've been a tabloid bait for the past few seasons, its time for a change.

Counterfactual

I don't see our new "restructured restructuring" working rapidly and effectively enough to buy anything like what we need. We don't move like lightning at the best of times. I hope I'm proven wrong.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
We're about to sign the most players in a single window in living memory and you're not willing to get you cock out ? :eek:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I just want United to be smart and sensible this summer, even if that does come with the likelihood that some signings may be deemed as underwhelming by the social media fanbase, who tend to be too obsessed with the flashy names.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
But what do you expect us to do? We are all just muppets by nature. Which means when there are signings which excited us, we react, like a real fecking muppets.

Sweet Square

Why is there such a strange need by some to try and make this forum as boring and miserable as the rest of the internet.

Someone personal excitement about next season has literally no effect on how well United perform. So let them be happy.

arthurka

I dislike our club these days so I have not gotten excited about the Ten Hag renaissance

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
For me it's all about them showing the willingness to carve this squad up...even if it means a few years of bargain basement.

The rot needs fixing first.

If the whole value in the market business PR spin resurfaces, the club is doomed.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
The opposite for me. Getting worked up about signing a few players and making cocky brags is part of being a fan, who cares if you could potentially look like a tit afterwards.
This. No matter how shit we are. It’s hard not to get excited over a window.

James35

I look forward to all the pieces (ETH, window open) being in place for us to get our business done in an efficient and more importantly, necessary way.

Then seeing what condescending posts the usual suspects come up with on here defending the club on why we haven’t signed or sold anyone yet.

Popcorn time again.

Last edited:

Gavinb33

Paul Hirst mentioned £120m budget before sale. Do anyone really get hyper excited with that?

Although, Im hyper excited to end this season asap. Only one game left.
You can get excited about that, in recent times Liverpool have got and excellent central defender and attacker for circa 72 million, you can get good players for decent money if you scout and recruit properly, for 120 mill we could get 4 good players for the 1st team and that is before factoring any free business we might be able to do also

RoyH1

Ban the phrase:
1. Big day today
2. <any name>ON
3. Alexis sanchez piano
4. We have a chance to win it this season
May I also ask for a ban on flight tracking posts? Just to preserve my mental health.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
No big day today
Just cold reality
I put my cock away
No Chile-vision playing on my TV
I don't want no sagas
Or deadline day drama
Only unheralded players
From leagues of farmers

Agents keep our name
Out of your mouths
No more outrageous links
Doing the rounds
Please don't excite me
With transfer rumours
Nicolas Gaitan?
Yeah, ok boomer

Here we go
No, no, no, no
I won't believe it
Until they show
The player in our shirt
Anticipation hurts
No need to track our flight
We've gone from bad to worse

No big day today
Just cold reality
I put my cock away
And no more sagas
Or deadline day drama
Our fabled Disneyland
Crumbled like so much sand

No more big days
No more big days
I'll put my cock away
I'll put my cock away

SER19

Im going to actively ignore it, place my trust in Ten Hag and see where we are come September. If he wants Haller, get him Haller. We've had too many windows we thought were good and were disasters

Houdini

We had good summers but bad managers. Now finally a good manager and I guess the reason of our shit play will be "bad summer". Yes that is how negative I am about United right now.

klayton88

I've just seen Sneijder at Manchester Airport with a massive toblerone.

Blood Mage

It's looking increasingly likely that we'll have to settle for b or c tier players this summer. Kamara, Sosa and Torres with Nunez as our marquee signing would seem to be the likeliest window for us right now.

peridigm

Transfer cycle in true Redcafe fashion.
Read unsubstantiated bullshit on twitter, immediately go into meltdown.

Why does everyone think the club are discussing upcoming financial plans and official business with someone who constantly makes the club appear in a negative light?

Red Daz

First summer I’ve been more excited about who leaves rather than incomings, I’m bored of this squad, need change, and lots of it

ROFLUTION

No big day today
Just cold reality
I put my cock away
I don't want no sagas
Or deadline day drama
Only unheralded players
From leagues of farmers

Agents keep our name
Out of your mouths
No more outrageous links