"I think we can win the title if we focus!" Paul Pogba Sky Sports interview

Ekeke

I don't understand how he seems to love United, and be happy playing then Raiola comes out with the opposite, strange situation.

Hopefully United get some good momentum and keep winning.
Raiola gets paid the most when Pogba moves clubs

Cantonagotmehere

It's all very simple: Raiola isn't gonna say a bunch of bullshit against Pogba's will.

Whether the current good form is coincidental, a way to "market himself", or even a change of mind, is hard to tell.

I do think previous behavior has proven that Pogba has an attitude problem. So even if he's had a change of mind, I still think he should be sold. I feel that it's too late for him to redeem himself now. The way I see it, if he's had a change of mind, it can only be because of 2 reasons:

1. He believes in the team/coach now.
2. He realizes that his best days are over and wants a last paycheck.

If number 1: what happens when we hit a rough patch? Is it the same shit all over again? If number 2: most definitely get rid!
I think he will keep being the Pogba we have seen...up and down. I hope this up lasts a while! I will have no problem selling him and moving on this Summer, I just do not trust him and want his agent gone from this club forever. Meanwhile I hope he keeps up the MoM performances.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Am I a bit weird for just wanting him to shut the feck up at this point and prove himself on the pitch?

Maybe I'm a bit sensitive towards him and I shouldn't be when he is positive, but the thing is I just don't trust him or his agents words. The only thing I trust is his performances on the pitch, that's the only thing that matters and all this chat from him is just bla bla bla. He can say what he wants but if he disappoints I don't want to see him cry, he should be out of the team so that the others can focus on doing their job. However, it is good that he wants to be a part of the team now that we have a chance to win it :lol: If he can hit some form he could be vital, every point matters. So hopefully he wont stink the place up with lazy fouls and penalties in important games.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He’s had plenty of spells where he’s been this good, actually better.

He’s an incredibly talented player. I’ll get shite for saying it but we should have built the team around him imo.
He probably has had 1 or 2 spells like this. It seems different, he seems more engaged than he ever has - which isn’t a bad thing for us for this season.

Rolaholic

In summary, as I’m a little confused reading this thread - but is this interview seen as a bad thing or something? Or is this just Pograge.
The latter but what else is new

Glad I wasn't around here when Wazza handed in a transfer request to go to Citeh under Fergie, must've been hell :lol:

AFC NimbleThumb

This is all mainly speculation/PR, though.

They way I see it: using Raiola as a mouthpiece the way he does is pretty good evidence of poor attitude. That is the primary reason for why I want him out.

Also, with Bruno in the team, Fred and McTominay stepping up, and the potential of VDB on the bench, Pogba has lost most of his leverage. He's been really good lately and in terms of quality he's a good player to have. But he's far from the most important player anymore and I don't think he's going to get better from this point and onwards. I think he can be replaced quite easily, while still potentially giving us a decent return money-wise. Usually I don't care too much about the financial aspect, but it's clear that our club does. If selling Pogba could help us get fresh blood, then I'm all for it at this stage.
Using Raiola as a mouthpiece is evidence of a bad attitude. Evidence?

Fred & McTom stepping up :lol: McTom played the game of his life against Leeds & well against Watford; Pogba needn’t be worried & Fred, is Fred. Don’t even get me started on how inferior VdB has looked.

Even more b*llocks from his own clubs fans based on nothing but assumption & biases.

His agent has a big mouth, & is a grown man but yes he needs Pogba’s permission to spout sh*t - you know like he has done for all his clients.

You’ve speculated throughout your post :rolleyes:

OleBoiii

Using Raiola as a mouthpiece is evidence of a bad attitude. Evidence?

Fred & McTom stepping up :lol: McTom played the game of his life against Leeds & well against Watford; Pogba needn’t be worried & Fred, is Fred. Don’t even get me started on how inferior VdB has looked.

Even more b*llocks from his own clubs fans based on nothing but assumption & biases.

His agent has a big mouth, & is a grown man but yes he needs Pogba’s permission to spout sh*t - you know like he has done for all his clients.

You’ve speculated throughout your post :rolleyes:
I'm can't be bothered to repeat myself again, so just read my other posts. If you still think your post is valid after that: no more to discuss.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Personally, I think that Pogba is perfectly happy at United, always has been, and I just have a strong feeling that whenever Pogba or Raiola throw their toys about, it's just simply an orchestrated ploy to get a pay review....
For me it seems no coincidence that whenever you hear of another player, such as Bruno, getting a better deal, Pogba is unhappy and leaving blah blah blah....

AFC NimbleThumb

I'm can't be bothered to repeat myself again, so just read my other posts. If you still think your post is valid after that: no more to discuss.
So if I don’t agree with you making unsubstantiated claims about people you’ve never met there’s nothing to discuss :lol: So you’ve heard Pogba encourage Raiola to make comments in line with rise he’s made for his other clients? Didn’t think so, so it is valid to say you’re making assumptions.

This isn’t about your post history, you’re talking out your arse & have formed an opinion based on something you can have no actual evidence of & it’s a plague on discussion about Pogba.

Critique his performances by all means but don’t speak as an authority on something you can’t know.

Needless to say I won’t be searching for more of your cretinous, unfounded bile on the player. No more to discuss indeed.

Red & White

Good interview. I think if he did more he would maybe change some people‘s opinions on him. I hope this form continues as he is the one player that is a different beast if he can stay focused.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He needs to give a team speech, like the one that made France world the world cup.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Well, most things - charity, for instance - begin at home.

So - yeah.

Stay focused, Paul - and be a shining example to the others.

Seriously, though - he's right. This has been a fecked-up season - and it probably will remain so. The less complacent/comfortable we remain, the better - things may happen that are entirely out of our control, so we better make sure we don't give away points unnecessarily.

Fight for every ball, as it were.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Am I a bit weird for just wanting him to shut the feck up at this point and prove himself on the pitch?

Maybe I'm a bit sensitive towards him and I shouldn't be when he is positive, but the thing is I just don't trust him or his agents words. The only thing I trust is his performances on the pitch, that's the only thing that matters and all this chat from him is just bla bla bla. He can say what he wants but if he disappoints I don't want to see him cry, he should be out of the team so that the others can focus on doing their job. However, it is good that he wants to be a part of the team now that we have a chance to win it :lol: If he can hit some form he could be vital, every point matters. So hopefully he wont stink the place up with lazy fouls and penalties in important games.
You sound conflicted and struggling to process any positivity from Pogba.

If Pogba ‘now wants to be part of the team now that we have a chance to win it’ - does that mean you feel he no longer wishes to leave or something? There’s no indication of that. Or do you mean that in the past, he hasn’t wanted to be part of the team?

The rest of it is, well, ai don’t know. Preferring players to perform on the pitch than in an interview, or apparently ‘not cry’ if they don’t play well and be out of the team so that someone can do their job should be standard for any footballer, no?
Ole has left Pogba out a number of times. I’m not sure what ‘crying’ you are referring to.

And if any footballer can hit some form, they will be vital. That’s football. Thankfully, Pogba HAS actually hit form, we don’t need to hypothesise.

In summary, I would answer as yes, it is a bit weird to have an issue with him answering questions in an interview, especially when he is also currently answering them on the football pitch.

OleBoiii

@AFC NimbleThumb

1. Has Raiola said that Pogba wants to leave? Yes.

2. Does this 100% prove that Pogba wants to leave? No, but it's so extremely unlikely that we can count it as a fact. He may have changed his mind, but no such statement has come out. That is the problem with playing the PR game. You've put yourself in a position where your last public statement is the only thing that matters.

3. Does this prove 100% prove that Pogba is OK with Raiola going public? No, but again: extremely unlikely.

This is all there is to it for me. I couldn't care less whether or not Pogba is OK with Raiola's tone or voice or whatever the feck fans are sensitive over these days. Raiola could have been a saint for all I care. It doesn't change anything.

I don't want us to keep players that want to leave. It's small time and in the long run I believe it can be detrimental for the dressing room. And I don't like players who are OK with their agent going public like Raiola did. This is ultimately just the cherry on top, though.

Get it now?

el3mel

Of course, I have been saying long enough we can and this squad is capable of such feat. This season is a golden chance for us so hopefully we manage to do it.

Stacks

Firstly, i wish we didnt talk about a title challenge just yet, we are not wven half way through in games. We need to take each match, game by game to avoid complacency.

This season is ridiculous, Spurs, Chelsea, Everton, Leicester, Liverpool and now United have spent some time at the summit. This is going to be the beat race for top spot in many many years.

Saying that, if we were genuine contenders, we need Paul to continue his form we have seen in the last few weeks. When he is on game, he releases the burden on Bruno and the opposition are swamped with two brilliant midfielders. Ole has to be braver and start playing him much higher up the pitch like he did when he took over at first, or like in the second half against Burnely.

A combination of consistency, no complacency, form and bravery is key to us being genuine title contenders. For the first time in a long time, this club has a belief (thanks Ole - and that is from a Ole outter willing to change his view). I really want to see more hunger from Paul, just like at the end of the Burnely game when he clenched his fist just before the whistle in acknowledgement of 3 brilliant points. We need to get something from Anfield, our enemy is weak, this is our best chance to knock the scousers off there two year perch.
we need to beat some of the old rivals. That will boost belief

el3mel

I didn't expect this has turned into another Pogba thread.. Thought it was about our title chances.

Anyway, I found Ole's management of Pogba situation to be great. Good player, but he absolutely can't play against every team and we absolutely can't build a team around a player like him. Ole has played it right starting him in some games and benching him against other teams he knows quite well he would have struggled against like Leeds. He has been in and out of the team which is the best thing that has happened to us this season. Very good player, but shouldn't be an absolute main starter every game like Bruno.

Posh Red

@AFC NimbleThumb

1. Has Raiola said that Pogba wants to leave? Yes.

2. Does this 100% prove that Pogba wants to leave? No, but it's so extremely unlikely that we can count it as a fact. He may have changed his mind, but no such statement has come out. That is the problem with playing the PR game. You've put yourself in a position where your last public statement is the only thing that matters.

3. Does this prove 100% prove that Pogba is OK with Raiola going public? No, but again: extremely unlikely.

This is all there is to it for me. I couldn't care less whether or not Pogba is OK with Raiola's tone or voice or whatever the feck fans are sensitive over these days. Raiola could have been a saint for all I care. It doesn't change anything.

I don't want us to keep players that want to leave. It's small time and in the long run I believe it can be detrimental for the dressing room. And I don't like players who are OK with their agent going public like Raiola did. This is ultimately just the cherry on top, though.

Get it now?
He was obviously a better player but Ferguson convinced Ronaldo to stay a bit longer when he wanted to leave. His agent wasn’t the most helpful at times either. I don’t think you can have a blanket approach to such situations and have to decide what’s best for the team given the current circumstances. It’s not always black and white.

OleBoiii

He was obviously a better player but Ferguson convinced Ronaldo to stay a bit longer when he wanted to leave. His agent wasn’t the most helpful at times either. I don’t think you can have a blanket approach to such situations and have to decide what’s best for the team given the current circumstances. It’s not always black and white.
Like I wrote/hinted at in another post: there are some rare exceptions, but by and large I think players that don't want to stay should leave ASAP. Especially if they/their agent go public with it.

The Ronaldo situation was very different for obvious reasons. Also, did his agent ever directly say that he wants to leave soon? Or was it "one day he wants to play for Real Madrid" or something along those lines?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
You sound conflicted and struggling to process any positivity from Pogba.

If Pogba ‘now wants to be part of the team now that we have a chance to win it’ - does that mean you feel he no longer wishes to leave or something? There’s no indication of that. Or do you mean that in the past, he hasn’t wanted to be part of the team?

The rest of it is, well, ai don’t know. Preferring players to perform on the pitch than in an interview, or apparently ‘not cry’ if they don’t play well and be out of the team so that someone can do their job should be standard for any footballer, no?
Ole has left Pogba out a number of times. I’m not sure what ‘crying’ you are referring to.

And if any footballer can hit some form, they will be vital. That’s football. Thankfully, Pogba HAS actually hit form, we don’t need to hypothesise.

In summary, I would answer as yes, it is a bit weird to have an issue with him answering questions in an interview, especially when he is also currently answering them on the football pitch.
Well, I don't find the tone patronising at all because to some degree I am. Yeah, I don't want to be that dude because I'm really not, and he is positive right now so I'll be better off not projecting anything further because of his past behaviour. He has hit form for about three games, one incredible performance hands down. I'm saying once he or the people around him opens his mouth I get a bit spooked because I want this season to go really well, and in the past it has happened that Pogba comes out with something and something disappointing follows not long after. Obviously that doesn't mean it'll happen again, but you can get that feeling. Like a comment I read on here just now that was something like 'ah feck this means we're losing, we don't need more pressure', it's really silly but I get it. I also know you probably don't get that, because you've been one of those that make excuses for Pogba supporting him rather than letting yourself be too involved in the rollercoaster of emotions he has put us through, and probably attached to him in a different way to most fans which is fine.

The point I was making was that I kinda I get the feeling that he will fail under this pressure, like he will play with this burden on his shoulders and 'cry' on the pitch if we struggle rather than actually try to bounce back and save us. He has had these moments a lot, played bad and not put the effort in and then his agent comes out with him wanting to leave. Shit like that.. Recently we've been thriving with everyone just quietly going about their job and Pogba has done this as well to hit the form he is now currently in, I hope this remains a positive going forward. I don't want us to change the formula and It's nice for him to speak about our chances to win the league but I also don't feel it's his place to come out and talk about the team to me. Just feels weird at this point. I think he'll be leaving yes.

Jonesno.8

I think he will keep being the Pogba we have seen...up and down. I hope this up lasts a while! I will have no problem selling him and moving on this Summer, I just do not trust him and want his agent gone from this club forever. Meanwhile I hope he keeps up the MoM performances.
I'm of a similar thought process myself. No matter how well he plays, our experience of him is that there will be an equally low period to balance it off. Hate that I feel that way but just don't have trust in him. If he plays well until end of season it's a double edged sword. We let him go, great more money but get labeled as naive for not keeping his talent. We keep him his form dips, doesn't sign an extension more drama. Big game for him against Pool. Would endear himself to even the hardiest of doubters with with Motm performance. Hard to dare to hope.

RedDevil@84

I don't understand how he seems to love United, and be happy playing then Raiola comes out with the opposite, strange situation.

I think after all these years, I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth. Today, he will be talking about title challenge and tomorrow, he will be talking about his Real Madrid dream or something else. Maybe that's how he rolls and good for him.
And I have zero expectations from him. If he goes on a good run, well good for him and us. If he does not, nothing surprising there. He has been up and down in last many years.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Wish we wouldn't start talking like this publicly.

We're not even at the halfway point of the season. We have Liverpool to play twice. We have City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs to play away. Wolves and Villa to play away.

I can understand the fans getting giddy but you don't want players feeling that way.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

I think he loves United, but is ambitious and wants to win trophies now in his late 20's. United hasn't been a team that have competed for trophies since Sir Alex left. If United was a top 4 competitor during Sir Alex's time, I doubt Scholes/Giggs/Rooney/Rio/Evra/Vidic etc wouldve stayed here for so long. Top players want to play for the best teams who are fighting for trophies. Same reason RvP left Arsenal for United. He wanted to win.

TsuWave

kinda mad this thread is being used to vilify :lol: Guy can’t win with this fanbase

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Think it's a nice interview by Paul but he comes across as being naive with that particular statement. There's still so many games to play and I don't believe any of our title winning teams made comments like this - I've only heard them say "we are only focusing on the next game" or "there's still a long way to go it's not time to start thinking of the title yet" etc. You can understand Pogba believing (:devil:) but it feels slightly naive to think about it at this stage.

The Original

Think it's a nice interview by Paul but he comes across as being naive with that particular statement. There's still so many games to play and I don't believe any of our title winning teams made comments like this - I've only heard them say "we are only focusing on the next game" or "there's still a long way to go it's not time to start thinking of the title yet" etc. You can understand Pogba believing (:devil:) but it feels slightly naive to think about it at this stage.
Guy is one of the few proven winners of major titles in the squad plus one of the few who was around the first team in Fergie's last years (including both the near loss to city and the 2013 win right after )and you think he is naive about what it takes?

Freak

Guy is one of the few proven winners of major titles in the squad plus one of the few who was around the first team in Fergie's last years (including both the near loss to city and the 2013 win right after )and you think he is naive about what it takes?
He's also been an inconsistent player for us. So yes him making that statement is naive.

The Original

He's also been an inconsistent player for us. So yes him making that statement is naive.
Sorry, but I'm honestly struggling to see the nexus between this supposed inconsistency and the supposed naivety of the statement? Even if he has been terrible does that mean he doesn't know what it takes to win?

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
That's a good interview - my takeaway is his passion about expressing how he hates being on the bench. That and the bit about wanting to play games in a row - both fill in the blanks about how he felt when, in his own words, he was back from injury/Covid at a time when the team wasn't doing well and he wasn't starting regularly. I think that's when the Raiola quotes came out, too. Good mentality otherwise, too, not getting carried away by our position, not disrespecting teammates who play instead of him when he's on the bench, diplomatic answers to the directed questions.

It reinforces what we already know - Pogba will raise hell if he doesn't get to start games - he'll leave a SAF side, he'll sulk against Jose and get him fired, and he'll definitely undermine Ole if he needs to. Which means that if Pogba is to stay, Ole will need to find a long-term solution to the problem of having Pogba/Bruno start together since the latter is undroppable.

hungrywing

Good stuff.

It's been good to see that most posters still see through Pogba, but there's been a spattering of 'SeE hE'S AmAzIng! He'S tHe LeAdEr Of tHe DrEsSiNg RoOm!' type gushing after the last few games.

Lelouch geass

I suspect PSG really handed money to Raiola to unsettle Man United.

Freak

Sorry, but I'm honestly struggling to see the nexus between this supposed inconsistency and the supposed naivety of the statement? Even if he has been terrible does that mean he doesn't know what it takes to win?
An unfocused player talking about being focused. You still don't see it?

No one is questioning his past wins with France and Juventus, but he has not won it in England yet. So yes, he does not know what it takes to win the premier league. There is a reason whenever Ole speaks of winners recently he keeps mentioning Matic and Mata.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
He is pressed by the reporter there with a pointed question. He can't say 'no we can't', can he? He goes to temper that statement by saying that we're improving but we're way off and we can say that we're on par only when we have actually won it. He's being very level headed in that interview, in my opinion.

Freak

He is pressed by the reporter there with a pointed question. He can't say 'no we can't', can he? He goes to temper that statement by saying that we're improving but we're way off and we can say that we're on par only when we have actually won it. He's being very level headed in that interview, in my opinion.
Yup his subsequent comments are spot on. But that particular statement was naive for me - he did not need to say a yes or no. It's just a simple case of using the cliche "we are just focused on the next game and not thinking of anything else"

The Original

An unfocused player talking about being focused. You still don't see it?

No one is questioning his past wins with France and Juventus, but he has not won it in England yet. So yes, he does not know what it takes to win the premier league. There is a reason whenever Ole speaks of winners recently he keeps mentioning Matic and Mata.
Might be called hypocritical or show lack of self-awareness (or indicate that he is not the unfocused player that many believe) but certainly not naive. Naivety would suggest that he doesn't know what he is talking about which certainly seems untrue.

Freak

Might be called hypocritical or show lack of self-awareness (or indicate that he is not the unfocused player that many believe) but certainly not naive. Naivety would suggest that he doesn't know what he is talking about which certainly seems untrue.
Naivety is a lack of judgement. It is a lack of judgement to begin talking about the title when we are only halfway through.