I think we should put faith in Greenwood, Gomes and Chong

ManchesterYoda

ST: Greenwood and Rashford
RW: Chong and Neres
LW: Martial and James
No.10 Gomes and 1 from Lingard/Mata/Sanchez

Start with Gomes and Sanchez as Sanchez is the best of the 3 when on form. If he still isn't performing, get rid and then let Mata and Lingard fight it out to stay. If Sanchez happens to return to his best form, get rid of Mata and Lingard.

After signing Neres, try and sign a defensive midfielder just before window closes. I would choose Rice.

witchtrials

Would be happy to see Greenwood and Gomes getting plenty of chances straight away but I'm not seeing a top player in Chong at this stage.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
They will start Europa League, all need more minutes before they are burdened with the heavy weight of expectations of us fans.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We are signing Neres?

ManchesterYoda

Would be happy to see Greenwood and Gomes getting plenty of chances straight away but I'm not seeing a top player in Chong at this stage.
I'm not seeing a top player in any of our current "senior" attacking players. They've all had more than enough chances, so I would give Chong the same chance.

Pace Abuser

Just like we should have put our faith in Wilson, Januzaj and Pereira?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I will admit that i don't watch the youth football so i only know these guys from what i read and when they play in the senior team. Obviously know a lot about Greenwood and Gomes due to the excitement around them, and when i watch them you can see they have something.

But i don't get that same feeling with Chong. He seems very raw to me at the moment and doesn't look anywhere near ready to make the step up to the first team.

K13

I only want them to start when they are mentally and physically ready and only Ole and his staff will know when that is. They see them everyday in training.

Minutes in pre-season are nothing compared to the daily grind of game after game where your every move is analysed and your ability to pick up and perform tactically is under the microscope.

They have got to be able to cope with the expectations and the backlash that will surely follow when they occasionally don't live up to unrealistic expectations.

Red_toad

Just like we should have put our faith in Wilson, Januzaj and Pereira?
Some did and still do. Every time Januzaj scores (which isn’t very often) his thread gets a bump of what could have been.
Pogba and Ravel should have been half our starting midfield not so long back, you just can never really tell with teenagers, they need time to develop, not all of them are Rooney or Ronaldo’s.
We have some talented kids, but I don’t see any of them as yet ready to start 40 plus games a season...

Kostur

海尔的老板
I love this idea that if you play young players they'll automatically become better just like in FIFA. I presume that there's a reason why they're not playing ahead of the Matas of this world.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Very easy to view the youth through rose tinted glasses. I'm sure Ole will give them plenty of minutes, but I wouldn't want to see them thrown in the deep end as immediate starters week in week out.

El-Manos

Give them a chance as in over the likes of Matic/Mata/Lingard ? Absolutely. Should it stop us from pursuing the best talents in Europe? Absolutely not.

Mark Pawelek

I think United should have 2 of them on the bench and give at least one of the three 20 minutes per match. I don't think any of them are starters yet.

ManchesterYoda

It's a way to have a balanced attack in a 4-2-3-1 with 2 players fighting for each position.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
ST: Greenwood and Rashford
RW: Chong and Neres
LW: Martial and James
No.10 Gomes and 1 from Lingard/Mata/Sanchez

Start with Gomes and Sanchez as Sanchez is the best of the 3 when on form. If he still isn't performing, get rid and then let Mata and Lingard fight it out to stay. If Sanchez happens to return to his best form, get rid of Mata and Lingard.

After signing Neres, try and sign a defensive midfielder just before window closes. I would choose Rice.
That simple?

ManchesterYoda

Very easy to view the youth through rose tinted glasses. I'm sure Ole will give them plenty of minutes, but I wouldn't want to see them thrown in the deep end as immediate starters week in week out.
They will only start if they earn it

Mark Pawelek

Give them a chance as in over the likes of Matic/Mata/Lingard ? Absolutely. Should it stop us from pursuing the best talents in Europe? Absolutely not.
We need new midfielders before buying new attackers. If "pursuing the best talents in Europe" means signing the likes of Mejia, Hoogewerf, Emeran, Mejbri for U-18 then yes. If it means signing more forwards at £100m each then, absolutely, not now. First need a better midfield.

Kostov

I love this idea that if you play young players they'll automatically become better just like in FIFA. I presume that there's a reason why they're not playing ahead of the Matas of this world.
It’s no FIFA but you would never know if you don’t give them a chance. With the likes of Mata and Lingard you know what you will get.

El-Manos

We need new midfielders before buying new attackers. If "pursuing the best talents in Europe" means signing the likes of Mejia, Hoogewerf, Emeran, Mejbri for U-18 then yes. If it means signing more forwards at £100m each then, absolutely, not now. First need a better midfield.
I never said we don’t need a better midfield. Whoever disagrees with that notion is highly deluded. McTom is our 2 best midfielder, which says enough. If Sancho however was available this summer, I would 100% try and sign him. Hopefully we go for him next summer.

youmeletsfly

Don't get me wrong, I like them, especially Gomes and Mason, they look like they're gonna make it. (Chong not so much, he looks pretty average and random)
The issue with giving youth a chance is that you need a very solid base in order for it to work. We have a solid defense now but our midfield is utter garbage.

If by giving them a chance you mean stop playing Lingard and give them his position from time to time, it's alright. But if we're basing our hopes on them being enough it will be a very sad season.

We should concentrate on creating a solid base of class players and then think about youth, that's how far behind we are now.

Acole9

Outstanding
I'd be happy to be proven wrong but I don't think Chong is going to make it here.

Mark Pawelek

Did you miss him playing against Inter in Singapore? He terrified them. 1. Earned a free-kick which led to the gaol. 2. Crossed for Greenwood to hit the bar, 3. should've had a penalty and 4. an opponent sent off. Forgot: 5 - put in a hard shot on target.

Last edited:

Josep Dowling

I really like the look of Greenwood but he’s only 17. He’s too young to be putting pressure on him.

The other two I will be very surprised if they ever make it.

SteveW

Greenwood and Gomes would arguably improve us immediately. They should both be heavily involved. Brilliant footballers.

Chong should go on loan.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
That's your opinion, I think he is.
In terms of readiness, Chong is a fair distance behind fellow wide-forwards such as Greenwood, James, Martial and Rashford. His appearances in the first team will be limited to the League Cup at best. I think he would be better served spending another year in the reserves and then going out on loan the year after.

Both Gomes and Greenwood are further along in their development, however, so hopefully we'll see a fair bit of them.

ManchesterYoda

I understand people have doubts about how well our academy players will perform in the Premier League but they only become starters if they earn it.

We start with this

Rashford
Martial - Sanchez - Neres​

That is a balanced attack with a striker, 2 inverted attackers and a second striker.

If any player in that front 4 isn't performing well enough, they are dropped. If their replacement does better they keep their place in the team.

Bamboozler

I agree with some of the other posts, they are prospects who can definitely have impact on the field, we just have to be careful we don't put too much expectation and pressure on them early doors so they crumble. Gomes looked like Hazard moving forwards last night, small, nimble and quick feet causing defenders more problems than most.

ManchesterYoda

It is possible that Greenwood, Gomes and Chong aren't as good as we think/hope. It's also possible they are even better.