I think we should put faith in Greenwood, Gomes and Chong

Untd55

Honestly, I have not been massively impressed by any of them from what I have seen. I do not think any of them have given standout performances so far; they all just look a bit average.

Chong has been the worst of the lot. The guy has no positives.

Greenwood looks like a good finisher, but his general play seems lacking. If he is not on the end of a shot he doesn't really do all that much.

Williams looks decent, but I do not think he has been as good as people are talking about. Aside from the great goal, he was very poor against Sheffield United. They toyed with him all game.

Gomes can do some good tricks, but he has zero ability in asserting himself on a game. He has gone missing for massive periods of the games he has played.

I have not seen much of Garner, but what I have seen has not left a positive impact on me. He looks like he is just going through the motions.

Tuanzebe has strength and pace. He does not seem the type to be dominant, though.

My prediction:

Chong - Back to the Netherlands for a mid-table team
Greenwood - Manutd player for a while, but will be sold eventually e.g. Welbeck.
Gomes - Mid-table team in Spain. Can see him having a similar career to Januzaj
Garner - PL Relegation/Championship team
Tuanzebe - End up at a lower team in the Premier League
Williams - PL Relegation/Championship team

Everyone else will end up in the Championship or below. After all, most youth players will end up outside of the PL.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Honestly, I have not been massively impressed by any of them from what I have seen. I do not think any of them have given standout performances so far; they all just look a bit average.

Greenwood looks like a good finisher, but his general play seems lacking. If he is not on the end of a shot he doesn't really do all that much.

Williams looks decent, but I do not think he has been as good as people are talking about. Aside from the great goal, he was very poor against Sheffield United. They toyed with him all game.

Gomes can do some good tricks, but he has zero ability in asserting himself on a game. He has gone missing for massive periods of the games he has played.

I have not seen much of Garner, but what I have seen has not left a positive impact on me. He looks like he is just going through the motions.

Tuanzebe has strength and pace. He does not seem the type to be dominant, though.

My prediction:

Greenwood - Manutd player for a while, but will be sold eventually e.g. Welbeck.

Everyone else will end up in the Championship or below. After all, most youth players will end up outside of the PL.
That’s quite a prediction based on literally feck all game time.

Greenwood became our youngest ever player to score and assist in Europe and is our youngest ever player to start a Premier League game, but sure lets write off his career because that’s not enough to put him in the “world class potential” tier.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Given your recollection of his time at the club, i'd be very surprised if Butt brought anything up at all. Januzai was given the 11 shirt long after Van Gaal tok over as manager, and he was involved in our 6 first matches that season, the main issue was simply that he wasn't very good. He made a total of 22 appearances that season, which isn't exactly bad for a youngster. Van Gaal didn't think he was good enough, and that it'd be better for his development if he was sent out on loan to a club where he would get chances every weekend. Adnan insisted on going out on loan to Dortmund while Van Gaal wanted to send him to a club where he'd actually stand a chance of starting, and we all know (well, maybe not you) what happened afterwards.

There's a reason Marc Wilmot, Enzo Scifo and Thomas Tuchel all had issues with him.

“It is a pity he did not show the desire and attitude you need to progress at his age,” Tuchel said. “My feeling was that he never was completely with us, that a part of him always stayed in Manchester and he compared everything here with United. We were not able to help him to shake that off.”

After his first season at the club it seems that he thought he'd made it, similar to Macheda who was very open about it in interviews: " I don't do the minimum anymore like I did at United. I'll regret that for all my life, but I'm still young. I don't want any more regrets. "
None of that contradicts anything I said. Well done Bob.

El-Manos

My prediction:

I like to think of myself as a negative person but this is another level :lol:.

Fair enough Chong hasn't exactly been that great but how you can bring down the likes of Greenwood & Williams? They've been terrific considering the circumstances & age. What more do you expect from a young academy graduate at that age in a struggling team working with a very average manager?

Thiagoal

My prediction:

FFS! I think they’ve all (maybe apart from Chong)done really well coming into a dysfunctional side at such a tender age! People expect players to come straight in and be world beaters aka Owen, Rooney style when actually the majority of players break through much later! Garner and Greenwood are barely eighteen yet been written off.. ludicrous

Enigma_87

You know who

My prediction:

Very harsh estimation. Most of those are teenagers.

The only one I've seen probably enough to think he won't make it for various reasons is Chong.

MrBest

My prediction:

I see your point, on face value they have not been as good as Ronaldo, Mbappe and Messi were when they first broke into the team.

On a serious note, each of them have massive potential but what really counts is the mental ability to cope. All three of Gomes Chong and Garner need game time and need it now. They will not get it here so I think a loan move is the best possible thing for them. They need to experience the mens game, make mistakes and have amazing moments. Not many players burst onto the scene at 18 or 19 and make a huge impact. Rashford has been the exception, no current EPL player his age can better his game time (maybe Ali ...). He may not be a world class but he has a chance. Do not write a player off until he has had a worthy shot, look at KDB. As for Tuanzabe, not sure what you are smoking but he is more than ready to be a first team player. Yes he had an average game from what i heard but he has been out for 1.5 months, the man needs match fitness. I think you are super harsh with your analysis, please do not abuse the kids on twitter.

cyril C

I like to think of myself as a negative person but this is another level :lol:.

Fair enough Chong hasn't exactly been that great but how you can bring down the likes of Greenwood & Williams? They've been terrific considering the circumstances & age. What more do you expect from a young academy graduate at that age in a struggling team working with a very average manager?
Well, it was -15, so need to take 15% discount... But Juventus going after Chong? Good luck, I hope we get something even for 300K.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

My prediction:

Greenwood has been very impressive this season. He's only 18 and some of his touches and goals have been excellent. He's also getting appearances here and there as opposed to week in week out.

Andersonson

I remember i hated watching Ronaldo. I thought he was over hyped as feck with his step overs. Boy was I wrong..

Its way to early to make a guess about any of theese players yet. They have a lot to learn, sure, but they got bags of potential

kundalini

If used sensibly, I think we can get a decent contribution from Greenwood especially, Chong and Gomes, in the PL this season. They have the talent to create chances and in Greenwood's case, score goals. The key is selecting the right games in which to use them, when to leave them out, substitute them etc.

All three have looked far more impressive in the final third than Dan James (his workrate is superior though). Shame that none of them got a similar amount of mins. Indeed, Greenwood looks more of a goal threat than Martial and possibly Rashford too, though clearly wouldn't be up to playing the number of games they do.
I misjudged the extent to which their lack of physical strength would impact their performances. None of them currently look ready to compete against men. Greenwood is fine if we can find him in a little bit of space in the penalty area, apart from that, he hasn't contributed much. Even then, his finishing has been ok rather than impressive. He could easily have scored another two or three goals given the chances he has had.

I've been surprised by how poor Chong has been since the tour. Gomes has performed reasonably well in two out of his three starts, without having the level of impact that would justify PL playing time.

Hopefully, they will perform better in the 2nd half of the season.

Last edited:

manc4red

I feel some of you are a bit harsh on the young lads. Young players coming into the first team usually learns off the established players. Imagine learning the trade under giggs or scholes. Beckham. Van persie etc etc

The young players now has seen more turmoil and manager changes than giggs did at utd. So i think we need to give them some time to find their feet

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Yes, yes it does.
No, no it doesn't. I don't know what you feel like you've just enlightened me on. My whole point was how things unfolded from Januzaj's POV, as a young player not yet mature enough to deal with harsh management by such an idiot as LVG.

Also that quote from the Dortmund guys, which I remember well, just proves my point in a sense. Januzaj thought he was going to make it at United after all the fanfare and the shirt number, even at that stage. The way we handled it was poor.

Mihai

That’s quite a prediction based on literally feck all game time.

Greenwood became our youngest ever player to score and assist in Europe and is our youngest ever player to start a Premier League game, but sure lets write off his career because that’s not enough to put him in the “world class potential” tier.
Being the youngest player to score in Europa league is not enough to make predictions either. Just look at the top 5 youngest players to score in Europa League and see how many you'd like to see in the United squad.

Fussball13251

If he starts playing a bunch of 18/19 year olds the results will be worse, trust me on that. That is why he doesn't do it. They are subs.