I think we should put faith in Greenwood, Gomes and Chong

Irwin99

This is actually one of my concerns for the season, that the older players consistently feck up again which lead to calls for the youngsters who then look out of their depth because they're expected to change the fortunes of the team by themselves. Europa League will be a good opportunity for the kids, and they'll get more chances if they do well there

The hype Pereira got last season when he wasn't playing was just weird. There's a reason he didn't start for Jose all that much which we found out when he actually played.

redzombie

other than an odd sub appearance I dont think any of the academy grads are close to being first team regulars, although Axel should be rotating as backup for Maguire/Lindelof with Jones.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
other than an odd sub appearance I dont think any of the academy grads are close to being first team regulars, although Axel should be rotating as backup for Maguire/Lindelof with Jones.
Not even Greenwood? He made quite the impression in pre-season. I also thought he was our best player in the 0-2 loss to Cardiff at the end of last season.

ManchesterYoda

This is actually one of my concerns for the season, that the older players consistently feck up again which lead to calls for the youngsters who then look out of their depth because they're expected to change the fortunes of the team by themselves. Europa League will be a good opportunity for the kids, and they'll get more chances if they do well there

The hype Pereira got last season when he wasn't playing was just weird. There's a reason he didn't start for Jose all that much which we found out when he actually played.
I've not been impressed with Pereira at all. However, in fairness, he has played out of position in almost every single fecking game he's played for us. He's not a defensive midfielder and he's not a winger.

Reiver

Even last season, there were people saying they'd rather see Chong start on the right rather than Mata or Lingard. He can develop and possibly become the player we need for that position, whilst neither of them ever will.

Thepinhead

I can't see how we are going to fit in gomes Greenwood and Chong in a 25 man squad if the reports are true that we are after Bruno and Dybala. Think they will get another season with the academy

amit tal

greenwood and gomes allready better picks than martial(yes martial) mata and lingard. i would lave to see both of tham come with rashford in the starting 11 in the first week ( james should be first sub in attack)

ManchesterYoda

Chong so far

41 games on the right: 25 goals+assists = 1.64 games per goal/assist
16 games on the left: 5 goals+assists = 3.2 games per goal/assist
4 games central: 1 goals+assists = 4 games per goal/assist

I have faith in him being one of our 2 players fighting for RW. Much more faith than if we play Rashford, Martial, Lingard or Mata there that's for sure.

C'est Moi Cantona

Think we have said the same about Rashford & Mctominay before they came in, ok they might not be top class, but they're a lot better than most players we've bought post Fergie.

The above two players just got lucky with the circumstances, and then took their chance, could just as easily have been Gomes & Tuanzebe given our limitations is their position.

redzombie

Not even Greenwood? He made quite the impression in pre-season. I also thought he was our best player in the 0-2 loss to Cardiff at the end of last season.
he looks more physically developed for his age than the others even though he's younger iirc, I think its still a year to early for him but agreed, his performances have been really impressive

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Fans don't have the patience required.

I'd be ok with the OP's proposition, which includes the risk that they may not work out. I think their talent is worth the risk.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
We won’t. We’ll watch Lingard and Mata frustrate us all season while the young players have camels that do nothing for them or us.

caid

Sure, just get in some experienced, top class pros to play with them. A couple of youth players is good to have, we just dont have anything else and its asking way too much for them to deliver at the level needed. Throwing them in the team would be doing them zero favours.

King Andow

Ole thinks it's better to persist with Matic, Lingard and Mata. If we complain we'll get Sanchez and Lukaku too.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Faith - not reliance.
If you’re good enough you’re old enough sentimental bollox only works if you have people around you affording you the luxury of being young and inconsistent.

Tony247

It's a myth that if put under pressure the young could crumble. There could be physical aspect which is understandable. But mental? no. There is nothing like learning at young age by working under real pressure, in real matches that matters to the club and fans. If there is a potential then expose them to the real competition. I am not saying play them every minute, but give them a fair piece of game and competition based on their physical condition, and not just as 80th min sub.

Denis79

Chong doesn't seem ready to take the step yet but I would love to see Gomes and Greenwood getting considerable chances.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Who was that striker we had during fergies time who was supposed to be the bees knees. We sent him on loan and he was killing it and eventually he was sold.

kundalini

If used sensibly, I think we can get a decent contribution from Greenwood especially, Chong and Gomes, in the PL this season. They have the talent to create chances and in Greenwood's case, score goals. The key is selecting the right games in which to use them, when to leave them out, substitute them etc.

All three have looked far more impressive in the final third than Dan James (his workrate is superior though). Shame that none of them got a similar amount of mins. Indeed, Greenwood looks more of a goal threat than Martial and possibly Rashford too, though clearly wouldn't be up to playing the number of games they do.

Last edited:

Pearson

we should smooth the way for them to get in the first team. Not a nice idea just sticking them into high-tempo PL games too much.

ricky-romeo

We won’t. We’ll watch Lingard and Mata frustrate us all season while the young players have camels that do nothing for them or us.
love Ole but just got a feeling this is going to happen a lot next season. He will talk a lot about giving opportunities to youngsters yet Lingard and Mata will get the minutes that Angel Gomes and Greenwood deserves.

same with Tuanzebe, as Jones or maybe even Rojo will play instead of him.

Hope I'm wrong.

khoazany

I think Greenwood and Gomes will eventually force themselves into consideration for regular game times. Wouldn't be surprised if Greenwood starts against Chelsea.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Why do we have to protect Greenwood so much when he’s proven he’s ready for the first team? I understand you have to be somewhat careful but players like Rooney, Owen and more recently Mbappe have all broken onto the scene from a really young age. Greenwood is already showing signs he could be a really special prospect, I just think through necessity he has to be relied upon heavily.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
We can all put our faith in Greenwood, Gomes and Chong no problem but we shouldn’t be expecting them to blast us up to 4th in the league.

Greenwood could become a fantastic player for us but Chong and Gomes have a lot to prove yet.

welshwingwizard

love Ole but just got a feeling this is going to happen a lot next season. He will talk a lot about giving opportunities to youngsters yet Lingard and Mata will get the minutes that Angel Gomes and Greenwood deserves.

same with Tuanzebe, as Jones or maybe even Rojo will play instead of him.

Hope I'm wrong.
Me too unfortunately. I know we shouldn't be too negative but he talked about youth last season but didn't really do it until the matches were dead rubbers.

I understand why not when we were winning but when the frauds had shown their true colours he should have sidelined them and brought in youth for competitive matches to see if they could cope.

As it is the deadwood he talked about is still here. I hope he is brave enough to realise its better to fail bedding in young talented players in the name of progress as opposed failing through doing the same unsuccessful thing over and over.

Agree with everyone saying we need mature consistant players around them though. Without that then they have a steeper learning curve.

Jerome Holland

At the moment i dont see mbappe talent in either of them. You are being very optimistic and thats not a bad thing but dont be fooled by pre season. Show me a top team that would take a chance on academy players the way you want us to. the best way for them to grow is sporadically phasing them in cup games and substitute appearances.

tony54

Our three young forwards all have far more energy and skills than our established forwards less Rashford. It is imperative that all 3 get regular game time this season, especially Greenwood who is seems like he is ready and going to be special.
I understand they must be weened into the premiership or other leagues as I can remember how I was roughed up at 17 playing with older ,physically stronger players but soon got used to it and toughened up to it quickly. If they are weaned in and getting regular game time they could add another dynamic dimension to our forward line which went AWOL years ago.
Like others have said mata and martial are not doing it for man utd, they just don't seem to have the energy and Mata is just too slow in covering ground.

Jacob

That's fine as long as we don't mind missing CL. We can't expect them to perform at the level of a seasoned pro all season. They'd get burned out

tony54

You need a few world class players to guide these raw talents.
I agree and I think Oly should be perfect for that..
We, as we all know, need another top midfielder regardless of Pogba staying or not, to give these kids/forwards the service they need. We need to stop this 8 year hole between back and forwards. FFS

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

I honestly believe Greenwood, Gomes and Tuanzebe are the key to Ole being successful.

Manchester United is about promoting young players, playing brave attacking football (for me anyway).

These 3 will energise the squad and the fans.