I think we should put faith in Greenwood, Gomes and Chong

meamth

Build is not the issue, look at david silva. He just needs to have the mental capacity to endure the knocks. He has everything else in his locker to have a exceptional career.
David Silva has a man's body. Gomes clearly hasn't filled his frame yet.

Davìd Moyéz

Chong looks the kind of player who'd have a lot of success in League one or possibly the championship where you have a bit more space. If someone offered £8million for him I'd snap their hand off.
So much hype about Gomes on here but then there used to be this much hype about Adnan and Pereira as well. Manager obviously doesn't fancy him.
Mason is the one. Hard to see him not becoming a top level prem forward.

Fletchageddon

Our problem is that Rashford and Greenwood should be 3rd and 4th choice strikers. They should be protected but instead they are taking the brunt of Woodward and the glazers complete lack of foresight, knowledge and investment.

Be easy on these guys. They shouldn’t be in the limelight yet. They are trying, that’s all we can really ask of kids that age.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Our problem is that Rashford and Greenwood should be 3rd and 4th choice strikers. They should be protected but instead they are taking the brunt of Woodward and the glazers complete lack of foresight, knowledge and investment.

Be easy on these guys. They shouldn’t be in the limelight yet. They are trying, that’s all we can really ask of kids that age.
It is Rashford’s fifth season as a first teamer here, he’s an experienced player and should be treated as such.

Gator Nate

Chong needs to go on loan to a Championship team fighting for promotion. I think Gomes is ready for serious senior sub work. Greenwood needs to be a regular now. I've seen enough. Throw him to the wolves - he can handle it

Gopher Brown

The problem is it’s very difficult to see what Chong is good at - he doesn’t seem particularly quick or particularly good at dribbling or passing. When he plays he just seems to be filling in, a bit like Pereira.

Treble

Might be mistaken but my impression was that Januzaj's all-round game looked on another level to any of these youngsters. Greenwood took his goals really well and is a highly talented finisher but his all-round game didn't quite impress me against Astana and Rochdale. The 16 y.o. kid who scored for Rochdale was heavily involved both in defence and attack. If he were from our academy, he would be regarded as a genius on here.

acrebo

I have to admit I struggle to see what Chong is going to bring. He looks like a player that shone at lower levels but is overwhelmed by the spotlight.

Every time I’ve seen him he looks so clumsy!

Jimmy_Bond

Not me, and it isn’t an opinion, it’s a fact.
But he's been mishandled for the vast majority of that time.

Appointing Mourinho, as much as I actually like the guy, was a disaster for the young players like Rashford and Martial. I believe if LVG had stayed, their development would have been much better, and we'd be seeing two real top level players.

How the team would be in general, I don't know. Would it be any worse than it is now? Surely not.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Might be mistaken but my impression was that Januzaj's all-round game looked on another level to any of these youngsters. Greenwood took his goals really well and is a highly talented finisher but his all-round game didn't quite impress me against Astana and Rochdale. The 16 y.o. kid who scored for Rochdale was heavily involved both in defence and attack. If he were from our academy, he would be regarded as a genius on here.
I agree, though Greenwood is good in his own right. But Januzaj was a higher level than the likes of Chong. He had skills, took players on, scored a few goals. He had a lot of confidence in his ability and had the technical level to back it up. Nobody can convince me that at wasn't a complete disaster the way that turned out. The club screwed him over.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Appointing Mourinho, as much as I actually like the guy, was a disaster for the young players like Rashford and Martial. I believe if LVG had stayed, their development would have been much better, and we'd be seeing two real top level players.

How the team would be in general, I don't know. Would it be any worse than it is now? Surely not.
Why was Mourinho a disaster for Rashford? He played him a lot.
What do you mean he was mishandled?
Because Jose was playing him on the left and made him work hard in defense too?
I don’t see anything wrong with that really, Rashford is a very good player but I don’t see him as a player who should exclusively be played centrally, Even Ole started the season with Martial centrally and Rashford on the left.

Last edited:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
The only mishandling of Rashford I see is that he has obviously been convinced, or been allowed to convince himself that he is good enough to be our main striker.

Appointing Mourinho, as much as I actually like the guy, was a disaster for the young players like Rashford and Martial.
Disagree. Jose played Rashford loads. Not so Martial because Martial clearly didn't have the right attitude and I don't blame Jose for that, at least he had the balls to challenge Martials behaviour.

I believe if LVG had stayed, their development would have been much better, and we'd be seeing two real top level players. How the team would be in general, I don't know. Would it be any worse than it is now? Surely not.
I think we should have let LVG have another year, not many will agree with me though :lol: and I suspect the team would be in a better shape than it is now.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I know this sounds stupid, but I honestly don’t think Chong would be at this club or getting games without his hair.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I know this sounds stupid, but I honestly don’t think Chong would be at this club or getting games without his hair.
He was highly rated youngster when he was signed from Feyenoord. IIRC the news was that we are picking up their best academy player or something like that.

Mark Pawelek

I think we can change that subject line to: "I think we should put faith in Greenwood, Gomes, not so much Chong".

I, personally, have more faith in Garner than either Chong or Williams (or Matic). I'd definitely play Gomes as an attacking midfielder ahead of any other (Mata, Lingard, Andreas) apart from Pogba, and Greenwood as striker ahead of Rashford.

Chong's aggregate record here is:

Played: 64
Minutes: 4974
Goals: 21
Assists: 13
Yellows: 6

1 goal every 3 games. Good for a winger. That's why he's here. Not because of his hair.

In Rainbows

Januzaj was a bit older. He was 18.5 years of age compared to Greenwood who is about to turn 18. I think Greenwood and Gomes are on Januzaj's level of talent, but Gomes hasn't had much of a chance yet, and Greenwood is starting to show his talent despite being younger. And I think Greenwood was very good outside of his goal. He's just not some winger who is going to dribble past players, like people made you believe after last season's ender. His decision making is very mature. Chong on the other hand, is not on that level. I ranked the youth talents a while back here https://www.redcafe.net/threads/uni...hind-closed-doors-today.449986/#post-24595207

Treble

Januzaj was a bit older. He was 18.5 years of age compared to Greenwood who is about to turn 18. I think Greenwood and Gomes are on Januzaj's level of talent, but Gomes hasn't had much of a chance yet, and Greenwood is starting to show his talent despite being younger. And I think Greenwood was very good outside of his goal. He's just not some winger who is going to dribble past players, like people made you believe after last season's ender. His decision making is very mature. Chong on the other hand, is not on that level. I ranked the youth talents a while back here https://www.redcafe.net/threads/uni...hind-closed-doors-today.449986/#post-24595207
Thanks, mate. It's good to have people on here who have followed our academy talents for years.

dev1l

I think Januzaj biggest issue was his attitude. Greenwood do not seem to have that

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
It would be a good idea to start them if we had better players around them. But we don't. Greenwood will probably get more chances because of our lack of threat up front. Against Astana the 3 of them started lively enough but Gomes and Chong faded badly. Greenwood has to be nurtured. He no doubt will break all kinds of records but Rashford is proof that young players if not looked after correctly could face burn out.

Not saying Rashford won't become a better player but after starting off like a house on fire he's more or less stagnated. Probably by playing too many games and not being coached right. Really wouldn't want to see our youth being brought through by Ole. He can't get seasoned professionals to perform properly so what chance does he have with youth?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir Scott McToMinay

Fully aware of what a fact is. How someone should be treated is subjective and opinion based. Enjoy the toxic side...
No, someone who has been a firs teamer for five years, should be treated as an experienced player, that’s not an opinion that’s an undisputed fact.
Ole’s regime is far more toxic then Jose’s, who was our most successful manager since 2013, that is also a fact, whether he was toxic or not.
We’re in relegation form chief, stop being deluded.

Zlatattack

Agree. I think Rashford should be 3rd choice striker (behind 1st choice striker and Martial) and competing to be first choice wide attacker (between him, James and a first choice RW). Similarly Greenwood should be playing wide attacker/ST on the odd occassion, perhaps go on loan next season to get more regular game time - rather than being relied upon by us. Some young players are excellent right at 18, but very few, most need easing into teams.

Similarly with Chong. People might be right that Chong won't make it here - but he's 19 years old. Yes he looks rubbish so far, but i think we have no other choice than to give him this season to try and adapt (squad is too thin). Next season he should defintely be out on loan somewhere to help improve his game. Then the season after that, lets try getting him a loan in the PL or championship. Lets look at it all again when he's 21. We might have a decent squad player on our hands, or we'll let him go - like we've done for the vast majority of players who have come through our academy.

Jimmy_Bond

Why was Mourinho a disaster for Rashford? He played him a lot.
What do you mean he was mishandled...
I don't think Jose's strength is nurturing and developing young players. I think he put a lot of pressure on Rashford and didn't create an environment where he felt free to express himself and make mistakes, which is important for young players.

redshaw

They look good in the reserves as a trio but I think Greenwood and Gomes are the ones able to make it to the first team, perhaps even this season. I can see Chong has some ability but not sure he can make the upgrade.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Probably should have stopped at that point.

Chong had an awful injury about 18 months ago which really hampered his development. He's definitely capable of playing at his level but he needs regular matches at a high level, I think a loan to a championship club would do him wonders personally.

You can see how raw he is and lacks experience. Playing at reverse level won't do him any help from now on, it's too easy.

Red_toad

No, someone who has been a firs teamer for five years, should be treated as an experienced player, that’s not an opinion that’s an undisputed fact.
Ole’s regime is far more toxic then Jose’s, who was our most successful manager since 2013, that is also a fact, whether he was toxic or not.
We’re in relegation form chief, stop being deluded.
Ah so the alternate fact league says we’re in a relegation position. Enjoy whatever it is you’re at...

jem

I don't think Jose's strength is nurturing and developing young players. I think he put a lot of pressure on Rashford and didn't create an environment where he felt free to express himself and make mistakes, which is important for young players.
Well I’d say we’re seeing now that Rashford isn’t necessarily equipped to handle that artistic freedom.

Jimmy_Bond

Well I’d say we’re seeing now that Rashford isn’t necessarily equipped to handle that artistic freedom.
I understand the frustration with him, but he's come through the ranks at the worst possible time he could, which is not his fault.

I wish he had been born 10 years earlier, as I think had Sir Alex have had hold of him the years Jose did then he'd have left us a real player.

What we have to ensure doesn't happen is that the same happens to Greenwood.

Macedonian Red

Chong is fecking disaster. His first touch is worst than Lukaku's. No pass, no tehnique. He is hard working player but its not enough. Sell him.

Gomes has a tehnique, pass, vision, he is quick. He is not on PL level yet but can it be. Let him on loan and see what happen.

Greenwood is already good for squad player but not for starting 11 yet.

And I also want Tuanzebe in pair with Maguire instead of Lindelof.

Enigma_87

You know who
:lol: You might be onto something considering we brought in Mejbri(not saying he's crap but both of them at the same time on the pitch would be something).

haram

Ole is the one that has put pressure on Rashford.

Jimmy_Bond

Ole is the one that has put pressure on Rashford.
To a degree.

But in the two and a half years after he broke into the team I think he was treated like a man by Mourinho, or at least judged as if he were a man, when he should have been treated like a boy. I don't think he developed in those two and a half years as he should have done, and given Mourinho has previous on having no patience with young players I think he has to take his fair share of the blame.

Saying "but I played him a lot" is not enough. Did he coach him enough? Did he make Rashford feel like he had his back? Did he allow him to make mistakes and do the things young players do without consequences?

In my opinion, no.

Ballist1x

Who's going to offer £8m for Chong when they could buy the Rochdale full squad for £100k?