Ibrahim Sangare | signs new PSV contract till 2027

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo88

Yes that's what he is. ETH is a very modern manager with modern ideas.

He would replace McSauce correct? - he isnt a world beater but he feels like a better Tomineh. If we dont get FDJ i feel like it’s gonna be Fred and Sangare and may god have mercy on our souls this year

rbnZz

Sangare is a player what Ten Hag likes. Strong, physical, long, aerial and defensive very good. Reminds me a little bit of Alvarez. The only problem what Sangare has, comparing to Alvarez is that he can't pass properly. Ten Hag wants players who are very capable and skilled in ball possession. Sangare is the opisit of that. Thats why I can't imagine that Sangare comes. I still think Ten Hag wants to play with Frenkie as 'DM'. Frenkie did it also with the Dutch squad and goes quite well. Next to him, was an 'AM' (Berghuis).

seegoblu

Some “journalist” named Dean Jones claims there’s a £30m release clause we could activate. Moving on from De Jong would permit Sangare and Sesko to join for the same price, and leave money in the budget for a RW.

Not a bad consolation prize

Sangare release clause

ThanksBoss26

Some “journalist” named Dean Jones claims there’s a £30m release clause we could activate. Moving on from De Jong would permit Sangare and Sesko to join for the same price, and leave money in the budget for a RW.

Sangare release clause
He's the guy who knocks about every window saying we're interested in Neves. Or at least it feels that way.

Thiagoal

Sangare release clause
I don’t see him being a replacement for FDJ; they are very different players. I think he’d be a good player to replace Fred or McT IF we sign Frenkie or similar midfielder. ETH really needs a calm composed playmaker to help bring about the style of football he requires

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Yes that's what he is. ETH is a very modern manager with modern ideas.
Would you say ten Hag is underestimating the league though? Would de Jong work as the deepest midfielder? Ten Hag has said him self and even said guardiola underestimated the league when he first joined city by not having any physical players. This is probably the most physical league… the top teams all have a physical dm… Fabinho and rodri for example. Against the lesser teams it may work with de Jong playing deeper as we will be expected to have more possession.

seegoblu

I don’t see him being a replacement for FDJ; they are very different players. I think he’d be a good player to replace Fred or McT IF we sign Frenkie or similar midfielder. ETH really needs a calm composed playmaker to help bring about the style of football he requires
Don’t disagree. Fabian Ruiz, Sangare and Sesko, combined could be brought in for a bit more than De Jong alone and would fix the midfield and provide a lottery ticket at ST for the future. This is my vote for how to (realistically) close out the window.

Blood Mage

Would be a big upgrade on McTominay, don't understand why we're not interested. Buy him and Fabian Ruiz, midfield sorted.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Don’t disagree. Fabian Ruiz, Sangare and Sesko, combined could be brought in for a bit more than De Jong alone and would fix the midfield and provide a lottery ticket at ST for the future. This is my vote for how to (realistically) close out the window.
Except the lottery ticket at ST would cost 50m alone, and may turn out differently than we thought.

Trex

Would you say ten Hag is underestimating the league though? Would de Jong work as the deepest midfielder? Ten Hag has said him self and even said guardiola underestimated the league when he first joined city by not having any physical players. This is probably the most physical league… the top teams all have a physical dm… Fabinho and rodri for example. Against the lesser teams it may work with de Jong playing deeper as we will be expected to have more possession.
Jorginho is usually the deepest lying midfielder for Chelsea at it works fine.we'll still have the likes of Fred and Mctominay to bring that element to play, it doesn't necessary need to be the deepest midfielder.
A midfield of De Jong at 6, with Fred as the 8 and Eriksen further ahead would work.

croadyman

Yeah despite it sounding like that sort of player doesn't fit into Erik's system, got major concerns about not playing with one in the big games.

MinGin

Jorginho is usually the deepest lying midfielder for Chelsea at it works fine.we'll still have the likes of Fred and Mctominay to bring that element to play, it doesn't necessary need to be the deepest midfielder.
A midfield of De Jong at 6, with Fred as the 8 and Eriksen further ahead would work.
I do think it doesn't work when we played Fred or McT as a alone deepest midfielder in past few year. Even aged Magic was doing better than them in that position.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I do think it doesn't work when we played Fred or McT as a alone deepest midfielder in past few year. Even aged Magic was doing better than them in that position.
Thats because our system was flawed. With inverted fullbacks and an aggresive CB in Martinez its very different.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He has a 98.3% statistical match to the Frenkie De Jong of Ajax and therefore without the eye test is by definition the best match to him. Howa fuller list is here in descending order courtesy of the Athletic:

Sangare
Vitinha - moved to PSG £37.35m
Loftus Cheek
Bissouma - moved to Tottenham £26.28m
Gravenberch - moved to Bayern £16.65m
Ruiz
Lukic
Ozcan - moved to Dortmund £4.5m
Anguissa - moved to Napoli £13.5m
Bellingham
Kessie - moved to Barcelona £0
Rice
Bare

All of these according to smarterscout have x>95% where x is statistical profile similarity (all recordable stats).

A lot have moved this window (or won’t this but will next possibly) the ones that stand out as achievable are Sangare.

Link for subscribers https://theathletic.com/3433690/202...jong-alternatives/?source=user_shared_article

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He has a 98.3% statistical match to the Frenkie De Jong of Ajax and therefore without the eye test is by definition the best match to him. Howa fuller list is here in descending order courtesy of the Athletic:

Sangare
Vitinha - moved to PSG £37.35m
Loftus Cheek
Bissouma - moved to Tottenham £26.28m
Gravenberch - moved to Bayern £16.65m
Ruiz
Lukic
Ozcan - moved to Dortmund £4.5m
Anguissa - moved to Napoli £13.5m
Bellingham
Kessie - moved to Barcelona £0
Rice
Bare

All of these according to smarterscout have x>95% where x is statistical profile similarity (all recordable stats).

A lot have moved this window (or won’t this but will next possibly) the ones that stand out as achievable are Sangare.

Link for subscribers https://theathletic.com/3433690/202...jong-alternatives/?source=user_shared_article
That’s hilarious. Some of them are nothing like frenkie

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It’s the statistical profile so who would likely perform similar actions or show the capabilities of Frenkie De Jong. They absolutely are similar to the Ajax version not the Barcelona version just to clarify.

It’s by no means perfect but looking down that list it’s absolutely no surprise those players have gotten moves to some big European sides and many of them are linked to big moves next summer too.

I think we’d be very ignorant to dismiss these options as other top sides have noticed something worthwhile. It would be a stunning coincidence if the data put these names forward as matching the profile of an elite midfielder and they all are happening to join elite clubs by chance.

I’m all for the eye test and I’d love De Jong over any of these names just thought it would help people realise how much Sangare has developed his game this season.

Abraxas

Let's be honest nobody has a clue how good this lad is. A 30 million release clause is only good if he's actually a player, if he's average you can celebrate the wonderful fee but it's not much consolation. Quite a different profile of signing to FDJ or even Fabian Ruiz who is proven at a high level.

NoPace

Watched Monaco-PSV. Has long legs and uses them brilliantly in possession to dribble and hold up the ball under pressure, but passing looked nowhere near good enough for what De Jong wants. Both in terms of desire to get on the ball (minimal) and actual passing. PSV faded as soon as they moved the passer next to him (Veerman) to the #10 spot and brought in another DM alongside Sangare.

Might be okay with Eriksen alongside him.

But yeah, didn't quite look like a top 6 starting player to me apart from when he was pressed and he was able to use his length to escape it.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Watched Monaco-PSV. Has long legs and uses them brilliantly in possession to dribble and hold up the ball under pressure, but passing looked nowhere near good enough for what De Jong wants. Both in terms of desire to get on the ball (minimal) and actual passing. PSV faded as soon as they moved the passer next to him (Veerman) to the #10 spot and brought in another DM alongside Sangare.
Sangaré was really back to his level of passing of 2 seasons ago, when he arrived at PSV and also gave everything to the opponents. Last year he improved a lot on it, but in the match against Ajax he was really poor in possession again. In another pre-season match I also heard critics that his passing was oldskool bad again (but honestly didn't see that match myself). It's clearly his weak spot. I think I said earlier in this topic that this isn't a player United should get. It's more of a Newcastle United type of player for now in my view. I think he'd do well in PL as he clearly is a good ball winner and with his physique he could cope very well. However he's not really suited to a possession based team.

red thru&thru

Sangaré was really back to his level of passing of 2 seasons ago, when he arrived at PSV and also gave everything to the opponents. Last year he improved a lot on it, but in the match against Ajax he was really poor in possession again. In another pre-season match I also heard critics that his passing was oldskool bad again (but honestly didn't see that match myself). It's clearly his weak spot. I think I said earlier in this topic that this isn't a player United should get. It's more of a Newcastle United type of player for now in my view. I think he'd do well in PL as he clearly is a good ball winner and with his physique he could cope very well. However he's not really suited to a possession based team.
This is what's annoying about fans, they're all the best scouts out there. They watch a few clips on YouTube and then start calling out the club/manager for not going for a player they believe they have scouted, when in reality, the club/manager doesn't deem them good enough.

bringbackbebe

That's what I thought as well. Sounds similar to when I heard a near perfect correlation between the NASDAQ index and butter production of Bangladesh. Correlation does not imply causation.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
That's what I thought as well. Sounds similar to when I heard a near perfect correlation between the NASDAQ index and butter production of Bangladesh. Correlation does not imply causation.
If you delve into the data it’s not as ridiculous as you’d think. But equally if you want to be narrow minded you are entitled to that.

I wasn’t suggesting he was the solution more that he’s a talented player who based on his last year data was performing similar actions at a statistically similar rate to De Jong in his Ajax days. People are free to interpret that as they see fit but if you look down that list of players close to the profile most of them look like very good players.

Last seasons Sangare was a very good player. That I have no doubts about.

Lynty

Has never been good enough on the ball to be a mainstay midfielder at a top team. Just another McFred with better ball winning and positioning.

bringbackbebe

If you delve into the data it’s not as ridiculous as you’d think. But equally if you want to be narrow minded you are entitled to that.

I wasn’t suggesting he was the solution more that he’s a talented player who based on his last year data was performing similar actions at a statistically similar rate to De Jong in his Ajax days. People are free to interpret that as they see fit but if you look down that list of players close to the profile most of them look like very good players.

Last seasons Sangare was a very good player. That I have no doubts about.
Don't take me wrong and I'm all for data when it's complete. In this case it is not. There are certain aspects that are harder to capture that tilt the data in one direction or another, like nature of league, the quality & physicality of opposition, strategy of opposition in countering the player, the system in which the player executes his role etc. FDJ is seen as clear threat, the pivot of midfield that drives play, and hence players press on him and try to displace him at a much larger scale than say Loftus-Cheek or Bissouma. Agility in such situations is incredibly difficult to quantify as against just dribbles from back third. The stats in the article focus on the output & not the input which is my main issue with it.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Renewed his contract to 2027, not sure why. Will be priced out of a move for the forseeable future I imagine.

Credit to him, to commit to PSV. Maybe he is in there for the long term.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sangare is a player what Ten Hag likes. Strong, physical, long, aerial and defensive very good. Reminds me a little bit of Alvarez. The only problem what Sangare has, comparing to Alvarez is that he can't pass properly. Ten Hag wants players who are very capable and skilled in ball possession. Sangare is the opisit of that. Thats why I can't imagine that Sangare comes. I still think Ten Hag wants to play with Frenkie as 'DM'. Frenkie did it also with the Dutch squad and goes quite well. Next to him, was an 'AM' (Berghuis).
Hope we steer clear then. I'm just about able to deal with Mctominay's inability to pass. A second CM of that ilk would be brutal.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Thank god for this.

I found him to be a very average player.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Renewed his contract to 2027, not sure why. Will be priced out of a move for the forseeable future I imagine.

Credit to him, to commit to PSV. Maybe he is in there for the long term.
I think PSV are gunning for the title this season. The early World Cup has worked in their favour as I think it will put Gakpo off pushing too strongly for a move until January/ next summer and with Sangare committing longer term they have a really strong squad.

Could be giving them a great chance at Champions League football.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
His agents gave it their best shot this summer, but clearly no market for him at his cheapest because he’s really not a top level player. Ah well.

Skills

Snitch
His agents gave it their best shot this summer, but clearly no market for him at his cheapest because he’s really not a top level player. Ah well.
Tifo missed out on there commission too

Status
Not open for further replies.