Ibrahima Konate’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondi77

He looks like a quality player but I just think we will not be investing money in this position since our big outlay on Maguire.
I suppose an argument could be made if Maguire picked up a serious injury then would we have belief in our existing squad to cover the loss and until I see Axel get a consistent run I am not too sure; Saying that the same could be said of Liverpool regarding VVD.
City losing Laporte this season has had a big effect on them so a dominant presence in that position is obviously very important for any side.

Red_toad

Better player than Upamecan, looks like a leader and doesn’t really have any weaknesses in his game. I’d be happy if United sign him, would be an upgrade on Lindelof and compliment Maguire more.

Decomposing In Paris

Vissy

Injuries the only worry. With him and Upamecano both really. He's quality but if he's only available half of the season it's not really the best value for your money which is part of United's transfer policy.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Injuries the only worry. With him and Upamecano both really. He's quality but if he's only available half of the season it's not really the best value for your money which is part of United's transfer policy.
He's only had one major injury of note in his fledgling career.

jesperjaap

If we can move on JOnes, Smalling an dRojo I would be delighted to sign either of the two Leipzig centre backs, both still a bit raw Upemecano is my preference personally, both have big futures at the right club though

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If we can move on JOnes, Smalling an dRojo I would be delighted to sign either of the two Leipzig centre backs, both still a bit raw Upemecano is my preference personally, both have big futures at the right club though
Personally, I think if we signed either of those, or another big money 20-22 year old centre half, we would need to sell Axel. Similarly to how I saw little sense in Haaland and Greenwood, I don’t see any sense in CB Leipzig and Axel. Maguire will start, Lindelöf will be another experienced option, as will Bailly. CB Leipzig will probably start too, given the investment, and with a first choice of Maguire and another centre half who is even younger than Axel (both of them are) I don’t get where Axel will go from there.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
This current one is the only one of note he's had. He played 3666 minutes in all competitions in 2018/19.

Rocknrolla69er

At the end of the day its upto Tuanzebe to impose himself on the team, Man utd cant wait around for him to decide hes going to compete for a place in the team they need him fit and as an option.

Ive no doubt Jones, Smalling, Rojo and Bailly will leave at some point.

Leaving us Maguire, Lindelof and Tuanzebe and room for one more. Next seasons a big one for Axel or he could find himself on the list with the others

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Just wait till Adnan sees this
I have to admit that this signing would make me very happy. The most complete young CB in the top European leagues as far as i'm concerned. If he can stay clear of injuries I have no doubts that he will go on to become one of the best CBs in world football.

Dante

Average bang
I have to admit that this signing would make me very happy. The most complete young CB in the top European leagues as far as i'm concerned. If he can stay clear of injuries I have no doubts that he will go on to become one of the best CBs in world football.

Look at this video of Upamecano in the wrong thread.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
At the end of the day its upto Tuanzebe to impose himself on the team, Man utd cant wait around for him to decide hes going to compete for a place in the team they need him fit and as an option.

Ive no doubt Jones, Smalling, Rojo and Bailly will leave at some point.

Leaving us Maguire, Lindelof and Tuanzebe and room for one more. Next seasons a big one for Axel or he could find himself on the list with the others
I can’t see all four of those guys leaving at once. Especially Bailly. We’ve just activated a two year extension, and he will likely get the chance to earn a longer one before Axel.

I think the current set up works best for Axel, any addition will make it very hard for him to get into the first team. And there’s a chance that while he’s trying to figure it out he’ll have to start looking over his shoulder at Teden Mengi too.

jesperjaap

Personally, I think if we signed either of those, or another big money 20-22 year old centre half, we would need to sell Axel. Similarly to how I saw little sense in Haaland and Greenwood, I don’t see any sense in CB Leipzig and Axel. Maguire will start, Lindelöf will be another experienced option, as will Bailly. CB Leipzig will probably start too, given the investment, and with a first choice of Maguire and another centre half who is even younger than Axel (both of them are) I don’t get where Axel will go from there.
Well it is up to him to prove himself. Was unlucky with his injuries and timing of them. From what we have, I actually think he is probably the best partner for Maguire if he can prove himself. Same token, I really think we are short quality wise. I never wanted Lindelof when we signed him and opinion on him hasnt changed at all since he has been here. Think he has two or three major flaws and the rest of his game is so damn average it doesnt make up for them. I do actually like Bailly but the injury record and some woeful performances havent done him any favours. I dont see either as starters in a top top defence.

Personally I would be more than happy for Lindelof to go to make way for a signing and Tuanzabe as back up, but that isnt happening

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Look at this video of Upamecano in the wrong thread.
I like Upamecano and would be happy if we signed him. But I think the comparison with Konate was best summed up by Barca fans on their forum (link provided) who stated that Upamecano was a complimentary CB whilst Konate was 'The General' which I completely agree with.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well it is up to him to prove himself. Was unlucky with his injuries and timing of them. From what we have, I actually think he is probably the best partner for Maguire if he can prove himself. Same token, I really think we are short quality wise. I never wanted Lindelof when we signed him and opinion on him hasnt changed at all since he has been here. Think he has two or three major flaws and the rest of his game is so damn average it doesnt make up for them. I do actually like Bailly but the injury record and some woeful performances havent done him any favours. I dont see either as starters in a top top defence.

Personally I would be more than happy for Lindelof to go to make way for a signing and Tuanzabe as back up, but that isnt happening
I agree with you, I’m just saying it how I think it is. I don’t think we should be making any decisions based on Tuanzebe at present, and I wouldn’t even be adverse to selling him this summer if we got a big offer.

Rocknrolla69er

I can’t see all four of those guys leaving at once. Especially Bailly. We’ve just activated a two year extension, and he will likely get the chance to earn a longer one before Axel.

I think the current set up works best for Axel, any addition will make it very hard for him to get into the first team. And there’s a chance that while he’s trying to figure it out he’ll have to start looking over his shoulder at Teden Mengi too.
I agree, Bailly will stay until we sign one more, then he l be sold, were obvioisly hunting a centreback and Bailly seems the next in line to leave rather than Lindelof or Tuanzebe , as i say a big year for Tuanzebe. Both need an relativley injury free season or will be replaced. I think maybe the decison to phase Bailly out has been made

seegoblu

Unless we raise transfer funds from the sale of existing CBs (Smalling, Rojo, etc.) equal to or in excess of the cost of either RB Leipzig CB, I don’t see the club seeking a transfer in this window. Money is just too tight to strengthen a well covered position at this point.

Craig Ward

Lots of debate over Konate and Upamecano and i admit there isn't much in it, personally after admittedly only watching a handful of Leipzigs games i prefer Upamecano.

Both are talented and have similar attributes. I think Konate is a walking yellow card in the premier league, he's a very in your back physical defender and we all know the refs will just give foul after foul. Bundesliga seems more free flowing in that regard which suits him more.

But if we are too sign a CB, like many have said, we need to ship out at least 3 - Rojo, Smalling and Jones. Keeping Maguire, Lindelof, Tuanzebe and Bailly and possible a new signing. You might even argue that one of Bailly/tuanzebe would also need to leave to warrant a new signing here

Vissy

Konate and Maguire would be a very commanding pairing indeed. If Upamecano is the complimentary CB then he'd still work well with Maguire who is good at organizing the defence himself, but you always want more than one person capable of doing that. If he is described as "The General" then he'd probably fit more into United's transfer policy of wanting players with leadership qualities.

Kingslayer18

I sincerely doubt we're in for him in the upcoming transfer window but would be prudent for the club to keep tabs on him for the 2022, where he will have one year on his contract. Upamecano looks like he'll also be staying at Leipzig for an additional year and I doubt RB would sell them both in same window. Will be interesting to see who goes first between the two. They're both very good players with the key distinguishing feature being that Konate is more of a dribbler and Upamecano the one with better passing ability. We actually need a faster CB to pair with Maguire as both him and Lindelof are both not quick, guess that's why Utd would want either one of Axel or Bailly to step up and challenge for Lindelof's place. Due to their lack of pace, they sit a bit deeper and that costs us against fast attackers who dribble and move well in small spaces. Upamecano could slot in and play the role Lindelof does, to a much better degree, or you get Konate who with Maguire would make them one of the top dribbling CB pairs in the league. Would be really spoilt for choice between the two.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I sincerely doubt we're in for him in the upcoming transfer window but would be prudent for the club to keep tabs on him for the 2022, where he will have one year on his contract. Upamecano looks like he'll also be staying at Leipzig for an additional year and I doubt RB would sell them both in same window. Will be interesting to see who goes first between the two. They're both very good players with the key distinguishing feature being that Konate is more of a dribbler and Upamecano the one with better passing ability. We actually need a faster CB to pair with Maguire as both him and Lindelof are both not quick, guess that's why Utd would want either one of Axel or Bailly to step up and challenge for Lindelof's place. Due to their lack of pace, they sit a bit deeper and that costs us against fast attackers who dribble and move well in small spaces. Upamecano could slot in and play the role Lindelof does, to a much better degree, or you get Konate who with Maguire would make them one of the top dribbling CB pairs in the league. Would be really spoilt for choice between the two.
Konate is also aerially excellent in both boxes and would in tandem with Maguire completely nullify the aerial threat from high/long balls.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Sport bild back up the earlier story from France and confirm that United are interested in Konate and the player is pushing for a move to England and has a €40m buyout in his contract.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Konate, Upamecano and Werner all leaving? All fairly cheaply too

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Sport bild back up the earlier story from France and confirm that United are interested in Konate and the player is pushing for a move to England and has a €40m buyout in his contract.
Nothing that really gets my hope up there as it seems very vague. Sport Bild is quite tabloid too compared too for instance Bild.

But that would be very interesting!

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Plays a bit like: Virgil van Dijk

"Likening Konate to one of the best centre-backs in recent times may seem like a premature comparison. It's not. There are few in the position who excel at so many aspects of the game as the young Frenchman".

"Whether it be in terms of positioning, sticking tight to the striker, intercepting passes, tackling or building from the back, Konate can just do it all, he makes it look easy".

izec

Him and Maguire :drool:

If Shaw keeps up his form, and AWB continues his rise, we would finally have no real weak link in defense.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The story from France comes from Le 10 sport...

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The story from France comes from Le 10 sport...
I know. But I exchanged a few DMs with the GFFN account on Twitter and they said Le 10 Sports had got alot of things right in the last few years and pointed the below tweet of how surprised they were with their accuracy at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.