ICC Cricket World Cup 2011

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Was he carrying his passport?
Only the army knows! Also why would infiltrators carry a passport ? they try to pass of as locals once they get in so carrying a pakistani passport would be idiotic.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Vidared as an Indian Muslim has to somehow prove what a massive patriot he is by constantly having a go at Pakistan. He's been banned from the CE forum more times than I care to remember.
My religion doesn't have anything to do with it. I'd bash any country that deserves it.

If i was a hindu id be labelled as shiv sena....and if a muslim does it then he's only doing it to prove his Indian'ness is a gross oversimplification.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Only the army knows! Also why would infiltrators carry a passport ? they try to pass of as locals once they get in so carrying a pakistani passport would be idiotic.
Most likely a BS story.

If there was any substance to this major news organisations would have made a massive deal.

Sultan

My religion doesn't have anything to do with it. I'd bash any country that deserves it.

If i was a hindu id be labelled as shiv sena....and if a muslim does it then he's only doing it to prove his Indian'ness is a gross oversimplification.
You're obsessed.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
To be fair its not so off topic since it could have a bit to do with why Afridi would say such a retarded thing.

rotherham_red

Vidared as an Indian Muslim has to somehow prove what a massive patriot he is by constantly having a go at Pakistan. He's been banned from the CE forum more times than I care to remember.
Oh really? I did not know that, thanks for the heads up bro. I've seen his inflammatory posts before, and I automatically assumed he was a raging Shiv Sena...

Still, that post was entirely uncalled for. But I can't say I was surprised, considering his history.

PS - Apologies for swearing if anyone "over the border" was offended :wenger:

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Oh really? I did not know that, thanks for the heads up bro. I've seen his inflammatory posts before, and I automatically assumed he was a raging Shiv Sena...

Still, that post was entirely uncalled for. But I can't say I was surprised, considering his history.

PS - Apologies for swearing if anyone "over the border" was offended :wenger:
oh really ? i suspect you didn't see sultans post where he asked for a link to the story.

Sultan

Whatever! It's a plagiarised article doing the rounds.

Why do you have to bring politics into every India/Pakistan thread?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Whatever! It's a plagiarised article doing the rounds.

Why do you have to bring politics into every India/Pakistan thread?
well afridi politicized it and i thought that story might shed some light on his behaviour. if i was out only to troll then i would have posted it before this incident.

Sultan

To be fair its not so off topic since it could have a bit to do with why Afridi would say such a retarded thing.
It's so absurd because he is linking an international cricketer with only he can answer because his cousin was supposed to have been killed many years ago in Kashmir. I know a very close member of the Afridi clan. If I remember I'll phone and ask if there's any substance to this story tomorrow.

VP

So the difference between Sachin being the greatest ever and not being the greatest ever is Gautham Gambhir's and Dhoni's innings? Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?
I agree with zing, that is just idiotic. Lara would remembered as one of the best batsmen as well, even without a WC. Likes of Viv Richards would have been legends irrespective of WC wins.
I've never denied he's not a legend. But a WC win is simply the icing on the cake, he's got the records and now the biggest trophy in cricket as well.

Sultan

well afridi politicized it and i thought that story might shed some light on his behaviour. if i was out only to troll then i would have posted it before this incident.
So you conveniently forgot everything good Afridi has said about India and Indians and accuse him of being a terrorist sympathiser based on a couple of interviews in which he says Pakistanis and Muslims have big hearts?

Way to go Vida!

Sultan

"I have enjoyed my cricket in India and I love Indian people. I have always got a lot of love and affection from Indian fans," Afridi told AFP.

"We went to India with a message of peace and to win hearts and, of course the World Cup," he said, praising what he called a "very warm response" to the Pakistani team from the Indian hosts.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
So you conveniently forgot everything good Afridi has said about India and Indians and accuse him of being a terrorist sympathiser based on a couple of interviews in which he says Pakistanis and Muslims have big hearts?

Way to go Vida!
Those clearly aren't his real views because why would he say the complete opposite few days later in pakistan ?

If he really doesn't believe what he said in that interview to that pakistani channel then i stand corrected. I dont bash all pakistanis....i had also praised one pakistani (najam sethi) and you know it.

Sultan

Those clearly aren't his real views because why would he say the complete opposite few days later in pakistan ?

If he really doesn't believe what he said in that interview to that pakistani channel then i stand corrected. I dont bash all pakistanis....i had also praised one pakistani (najam sethi) and you know it.
Both interviews happened in Pakistan. I can't say why he gave two very contradictory statements. I'd rather be positive and think after being told he was being a retard he changed his mind deciding to mend his ways. We're human beings and have a tendency to be stupid on occasions.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
:lol:

One Pakistani out of a few hundred Million.

Proves my point.
He's the only one who talks sense in the media. Point me another who's somewhat active in the media/tv there.

Clearly there are many in pakistan who are sane and normal people and only an idiot would believe otherwise. You have completely misunderstood me. Carry on...

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Told you the thread should've been locked. No one ever listens.

kiristao

I could have sworn I heard him say Muslims too and I was right,

He claims to have been taken out of context when the quotes appearing in the newspapers are the exact lines that he used.

What's even more stupid (read c*untish) on his part is that the lady interviewing him was claiming how good the Indians were towards them so his statements were clearly not even enticed by the interviewer. They were his personal opinion.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Way to go Vida!
Tbf that was probably made just to compensate of what he has said in this interview.

This is not the first time, that a Pakistani cricketer has made a retarded statement like this. Shoaib Malik also made a comment when his team lost the T20 Final against Us.

"I want to thank everyone back home in Pakistan and Muslims all over the world. Thank you very much and I'm sorry that we didn’t win, but we did give our 100 per cent."

Seriously does these guys forget that there are Muslims living in India or they just want to raise un-necessary issues time and time again.

Also what Gautam said was 100% right Afridi, the whole world knows the truth.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
What did Gambhir say?
Actually Gambhir just dedicated the victory towards the 26/11 Victims to which Afridi said like this

"I think they were very stupid comments by Gautam Gambhir. I was not expecting this from Gautam. This is all politics, what do you know about who carried out the Mumbai attacks?"

kiristao

What did Gambhir say?
The only interview I have heard of Gambir was where he dedicated the world cup win to the 26-11 victims.
If that is the interview people are refering to, I dont see anything wrong in what he said specially considering he said it after the World Cup was won in cricket crazy Mumbai.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Let's get back to the cricket shall we.This thread has taken a very distasteful digression

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
Actually Gambhir just dedicated the victory towards the 26/11 Victims to which Afridi said like this
That was a irresponsible reply from Afridi. Gambhir dedicated to the victory to the victims of a terrorist act. What is wrong with it? Political, maybe but nothing that incites people based on his dedication.
Don't see why he has to even respond negatively to that. Seems like a case of overreaction and general tendency to protect oneself from their recent failure in the WC. Not a surprise how it tends to be in the aftermath.

On another note, how many feel that this WC might be the last one for a long while that has seen true greats of the game playing in this tournament. Ponting, Murali and probably Sachin and many others.We might be in the middle of a golden generation or at the end of it.

amolbhatia50k

That was a irresponsible reply from Afridi. Gambhir dedicated to the victory to the victims of a terrorist act. What is wrong with it? Political, maybe but nothing that incites people based on his dedication.
Don't see why he has to even respond negatively to that. Seems like a case of overreaction and general tendency to protect oneself from their recent failure in the WC. Not a surprise how it tends to be in the aftermath.

On another note, how many feel that this WC might be the last one for a long while that has seen true greats of the game playing in this tournament. Ponting, Murali and probably Sachin and many others.We might be in the middle of a golden generation or at the end of it.
Still time IMO. There won't be anywhere of Sachin's level but there could be other players like Steyne who go down as top class, although he's more of a test player. A lot can change in 4 years time.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Current up coming players just do not seem to have the same colourful characteristics as the past ones did. I rate Steyn a lot but I can not get myself excited about seeing him bowl as I used to for Donald or Younis or McGrath.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
It really depends. Are we talking about characters or quality?
Both. In some sense as a combination. For example, Steyn is a quality player. How excited are you about him as you would be watching McGrath?

Though, as you say, it depends. The game and its players has changed from what I was as a kid. The young kids will have its own favourites and idols now.

amolbhatia50k

Both. In some sense as a combination. For example, Steyn is a quality player. How excited are you about him as you would be watching McGrath?

Though, as you say, it depends. The game and its players has changed from what I was as a kid. The young kids will have its own favourites and idols now.
Steyn at his best is more exciting to watch than Mcgrath. Whilst Mcgrath will ATM go down as a better bowler he was more a line and length bowler. Not very exciting to watch. Donald, Ambrose, Akram etc were exciting to watch because they were quick and moved the ball.

Steyn at his best does both those things. He moves the ball at 90+ miles an hour and that is brilliant to watch. It's a case of how consistent he can be. Right now he just needs to improve his ODI bowling. An average of around 27 is simply not good enough for someone who bowls in the conditions that he does.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
It really depends. Are we talking about characters or quality?
Dunno, it is difficult to explain.

I have stayed up at night till 3 or 4 to watch Lara take on Warne in Windies. Or woken up early to see McGrath run in with 10 men around the bat. Just do not see myself doing that anymore for crickets around now.