ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

AJ10

Ah yes, lets forget outside of the WC because your theory doesn't apply:rolleyes:

What I was saying was England should not be blaming the pitch but their performance. Not making excuses, think the shite comment should have made that obvious. But you clearly have an agenda with England and that they are only successful on flat pitches so you just stick to that.
Right...... So England are only "shite" on a pitch which isn't flat. Of course England have won on pitches which doesn't suite them (outside WC) and so far in this WC they've been "shite" on those pitches but been brilliant on flat ones. Just because they've won previous matches on pitches which aren't flat doesn't mean that losses can be justified by saying they didn't "apply themselves" but when it comes to flat pitches they did "apply themselves" but it has nothing to do with pitches according to you.......sounds like an excuse.... but me an my agenda.

It has nothing to do with me having a agenda, Its a fact unless you think you calling them "shite" when they lose makes it ok to ignore that they don't bat well on other pitches compared to flat ones.......aren't you the one who was crying about everyone hating on England when they lost vs Sri Lanka? :lol: Now according to you, I have a agenda..... Liverpool fan by chance?

TheGame

Right...... So England are only "shite" on a pitch which isn't flat. Of course England have won on pitches which doesn't suite them (outside WC) and so far in this WC they've been "shite" on those pitches but been brilliant on flat ones. Just because they've won previous matches on pitches which aren't flat doesn't mean that losses can be justified by saying they didn't "apply themselves" but when it comes to flat pitches they did "apply themselves" but it has nothing to do with pitches according to you.......sounds like an excuse.... but me an my agenda.

It has nothing to do with me having a agenda, Its a fact unless you think you calling them "shite" when they lose makes it ok to ignore that they don't bat well on other pitches compared to flat ones.......aren't you the one who was crying about everyone hating on England when they lost vs Sri Lanka? :lol: Now according to you, I have a agenda..... Liverpool fan by chance?
You clearly do have an agenda that England only win on flat pitches whereas I said they didn’t because they have been playing for the last 2 years on other pitches. I wasn’t making excuses for their performance but you carry on.

AJ10

You clearly do have an agenda that England only win on flat pitches whereas I said they didn’t because they have been playing for the last 2 years on other pitches. I wasn’t making excuses for their performance but you carry on.
Care to point out where I said they only win on flat pitches? On my previous post I did say England win on pitches which doesn't suite them, maybe my agenda is stopping you from reading?

My agenda is making you see things which aren't there.... Power of my agenda. :lol:

TheGame

Care to point out where I said they only win on flat pitches? On my previous post I did say England win on pitches which doesn't suite them, maybe my agenda is stopping you from reading?

My agenda is making you see things which aren't there.... Power of my agenda. :lol:
It is clear from your responses that is what you are implying, that's my opinion. If you don't think so fine. Lets just move on.

dbs235

Not sure why everyone's so upset about England playing better on pitches that suit them, it's called home advantage. It's the same reason why India are unbeatable at home, and the same reason why the Ashes tends to yo-yo between Australia and England every time depending on who's at home. India are already my favorites for the next World Cup because they'll be at home. Will England fans be on the 2023 thread crying that India are only winning because it's Indian pitches? I doubt it.

AJ10

It is clear from your responses that is what you are implying, that's my opinion. If you don't think so fine. Lets just move on.
Maybe you should have read my previous post but yeah.

NM

Not sure why everyone's so upset about England playing better on pitches that suit them, it's called home advantage. It's the same reason why India are unbeatable at home, and the same reason why the Ashes tends to yo-yo between Australia and England every time depending on who's at home. India are already my favorites for the next World Cup because they'll be at home. Will England fans be on the 2023 thread crying that India are only winning because it's Indian pitches? I doubt it.
The problem with that is that this isn't really "home" conditions. These are straight up roads. England "home" conditions used to be help for swing and seam.

The ODI game shouldn't be played on roads, there has to be some help for the bowlers. I'll say the same thing if it happened in India btw.

dbs235

New topic: This is coming from an England fan, does anyone else think the whole "England bat deep" narrative is just not true? Once you get past Stokes, they all get out for pretty much single figures this World Cup. I keep hearing that Archer is alright with the bat - his average is 4.33. There's people coming in at 5-6 for other countries that can score runs too.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I just feel runs on the board is the way to go in a major final. Barring a disaster we’d have got more than enough runs to win that final if we’d have batted first
Agree about runs on the board in a final, just saying that the decision was sensible at the time. Pakistan had made the final solely by chasing in all games. SL had a week earlier made a mockery of India's 320 and chased it down like it was a piece of cake. Chasers had won 9 of 12 games until the final, including both SFs. And there was a sense of invincibility with the 'Kohli can chase any target' narrative.

rotherham_red

New topic: This is coming from an England fan, does anyone else think the whole "England bat deep" narrative is just not true? Once you get past Stokes, they all get out for pretty much single figures this World Cup. I keep hearing that Archer is alright with the bat - his average is 4.33. There's people coming in at 5-6 for other countries that can score runs too.
Tbf, normally Moeen would come in after Stokes. Woakes is a genuine all rounder as well. Rashid has 10 first class centuries to his name and Archer's only recently joined the squad, who have such amazing strength in depth that his batting has rarely been needed. From his stints in various leagues, it's apparent that he can hold his own with the bat.

Samid

Depends on the composition of the team. If you've got Curran, Willey, Rashid coming in at 9,10,11 then that's batting deep. If you've got Rashid, Archer, Wood in those positions then that's not particularly deep.

Though I do feel their 'bat deep' narrative is fairly overstated. Usually it's just chest-thumping from the Sky commentators saying "oh look we bat super deep, we've got Willey who opens for his county at 10, and Rashid who has a dozen FC centuries at 11". In reality their tail is okay, nothing out of the ordinary.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Is there any chance that SA beat Aus? :nervous:

I want no part of England at Edgbaston. Toss is too vital as the pitches deteriorate with more play plus shorter boundaries mean we can't play 2 spinners.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
TIL most England cricket grounds have a capacity of 15000 to 25000 people. Way too less for the biggest tournament in cricket. India and Australia have much bigger grounds. Eden Gardens alone can pack in 5x the number of people.

Samid

Manjrekar getting slaughtered by Indians on twitter. Also how have I not seen this before :lol::

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Mixed feelings right now about this world cup as a Pakistani fan. We did really well to beat Eng, SA and NZ but losing to WI was deeply disappointing and ultimately may lead to our downfall (we still have to beat Bang, which won't be easy, to be knocked out on NRR).

I didn't expect us to reach the semi-final before the tournament but the way we've played in the last 3 games made me really hopeful we could. To see England win two matches you could expect them to lose makes it even more disappointing.

If we beat Bang, I will be happy with our teams performances and think we deserve to go through ahead of NZ (who got a big favour from that their rain effected match was against Ind while ours was against Sri Lanka). But beating Bang was not going to be easy regardless of whether it was a do-or-die match for us or a dead rubber like it is now.

TheGame

The problem with that is that this isn't really "home" conditions. These are straight up roads. England "home" conditions used to be help for swing and seam.

The ODI game shouldn't be played on roads, there has to be some help for the bowlers. I'll say the same thing if it happened in India btw.
The weather has had a big effect, the recent dry conditions have hardened the pitches although both captains yesterday said the pitch got difficult to bat on after 30 overs with it being slower and difficult to get the ball away.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Think England will win it, they seem to have found some form at a crucial time. The toss will be important as always though.
Nah I’d say Australia are probably the team to beat right now. Bringing in Behrendoorf and Lyon has made their attack arguably as good as India’s.

India on the other side came close to chasing down England’s score and would have got there if they took a few more risks.

TheGame

TIL most England cricket grounds have a capacity of 15000 to 25000 people. Way too less for the biggest tournament in cricket. India and Australia have much bigger grounds. Eden Gardens alone can pack in 5x the number of people.
The problem is that these grounds are sufficient for county cricket and they do not have the funds to develop them. Even if they did, the attendances at the county would not warrant the increase as the current capacity is fine. Aren’t the Australian grounds shared with other sports?

Day 36: Windies vs Afghanistan

ChrisNelson

Went to the pub on my own at lunch yesterday to catch an hour of the England match. Just looked excitedly as I couldn't remember who was playing today.... yeah I might not bother today.

kps88

Manjrekar getting slaughtered by Indians on twitter. Also how have I not seen this before :lol::

He can get annoying but I found it strange when everyone lost their shit over him criticizing Dhoni when most fans were doing the same thing.

Samid

He can get annoying but I found it strange when everyone lost their shit over him criticizing Dhoni when most fans were doing the same thing.
Weren't quite a few also hating on Tendulkar for criticising Dhoni recently? Don't mess with deluded fanboys.

Aboutreika18

:confused: Not sure what's funny. I find English cricket coverage much more balanced in general than other sports.

A lot of it has to do with the fact England have been a pretty mediocre side for so long but also there isn't the same fanatical, biased and cringeworthy nonsense you get in football, for example. You'll get the odd blowhard like KP on Twitter obviously but the overall lack of popularity of cricket is good in some ways.

Of course, if England continue to improve and cement themselves as one of the top dogs, I have no doubt we'll see more of the same one-eyed commentary we see more often in other sports.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It's weird how this is the first time I have seen so much talk about flat tracks in Odi cricket. Odi's have had flat tracks for as far I can remember. Australia made 359 in the final of 2003 , 280 in 38 overs in 07 final and made 320+ in the semis against India in 2015. Looking at how much batting has evolved and with the two balls 300 is hardly a huge score batting first but because England do it so it must be roads

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Probably the right size for any group match outside of India that doesn't involve India or a Home side to be honest.

Last edited:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Shoddy shoddy drop from Rashid. The Afghan's batting and bowling may not be the best but the quality of their fielding from experienced players needs to improve.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
It's weird how this is the first time I have seen so much talk about flat tracks in Odi cricket. Odi's have had flat tracks for as far I can remember. Australia made 359 in the final of 2003 , 280 in 38 overs in 07 final and made 320+ in the semis against India in 2015. Looking at how much batting has evolved and with the two balls 300 is hardly a huge score batting first but because England do it so it must be roads
Those were considered impossible totals when they were made and were out of step with the rest of the matches or even the rest of those WC games.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Odd post. The talk started precisely because English camp themselves brought this up. There was no caveat before the tournament that England are favs just because of the nature of the pitches. But then they lost 3 games and proceeded to use different pitch conditions as an excuse. I mean Johnny B actually even complained about the pitches against SA and NZ where Eng score more or close to 300. So now they themselves have validated speculation over not being as good on pitches that are not flat decks until they prove it to be otherwise.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Odd post. The talk started precisely because English camp themselves brought this up. There was no caveat before the tournament that England are favs just because of the nature of the pitches. But then they lost 3 games and proceeded to use different pitch conditions as an excuse. I mean Johnny B actually even complained about the pitches against SA and NZ where Eng score more or close to 300. So now they themselves have validated speculation over not being as good on pitches that are not flat decks until they prove it to be otherwise.
Bairstow said nothing wrong really. England are playing the world cup at home and pitches haven't been like what they have had at home for last 4 years. In fact pitches haven't even been like what you get in most of the world for odi's . Everyone keeps talking about home advantage but there was hardly any home advantage if the pitches aren't what the home team is used to. You think Virat Kohli wouldn't be complaining if he turned up for a world cup in India and the ball was seaming around all over the place . I didn't expect pitches to be crazy flat but I also didn't expect pitches where everyone would batting first would win .

AshRK

I do not understand why England fans get defensive when their team is called flat track bullies. Every country carries such baggage but that does not mean their achievements become any less. India for ages (even now to an extent) are called home track bullies. The likes of ashwin and jadeja have always been discredited because they only do well in subcontinent conditions ( when in fact their record away from subcontinent is not at all bad). Every team has its strengths and England become much stronger when playing in flat decks much similar to india who become much stronger when playing in spinning tracks. In fact I don't think England fans should care much. Flat tracks or not, you have to play well and England have done that for the past 2 games and if they do well in sf they have a good chance of winning.

Samid

Afghan fielding in pure comedy gold. Like watching headless chickens with no motor skills.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
No one is getting defensive over flat track bullies stuff, I just find this whole sudden hatred for flat tracks in odi's very funny . For years India were a very good Odi team with the best batting lineup in the world but suddenly there is a clamour for balanced Odi tracks with help for the bowlers

AshRK

No one is getting defensive over flat track bullies stuff, I just find this whole sudden hatred for flat tracks in odi's very funny . For years India were a very good Odi team with the best batting lineup in the world but suddenly there is a clamour for balanced Odi tracks with help for the bowlers
This not a sudden thing like you are claiming. Like I said in my previous post India for years have been called home track bullies. When India were no 1. In test people kept on bringing that point. Even during Ganguly era we were called flat track bullies so nothing new. The problem is you are taking that as criticism. I do not think being a flat track bullies takes away anything from your achievement.

rotherham_red

:confused: Not sure what's funny. I find English cricket coverage much more balanced in general than other sports.

A lot of it has to do with the fact England have been a pretty mediocre side for so long but also there isn't the same fanatical, biased and cringeworthy nonsense you get in football, for example. You'll get the odd blowhard like KP on Twitter obviously but the overall lack of popularity of cricket is good in some ways.

Of course, if England continue to improve and cement themselves as one of the top dogs, I have no doubt we'll see more of the same one-eyed commentary we see more often in other sports.
Agreed. It's the perfect middle between India and Australia's chest thumping one-eyed coverage and the fatalism, bordering on self-hatred of the Pakistani commentators