ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

Witchking

I get that but what I'm trying to say is if the ball carried another 10 feet it would have been a 6. Not as if the bowler did anything special, just got lucky
It would also be because the bowler and the captain planned that field placement and got the batsman to opt for that shot and the plan worked.
Sometimes you need to get the batsman to take such risks which give such chances. Like a spinner given flight to the ball to tempt the batsman to go for the big one.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
India will be favourites against NZ but obviously NZ can win. NZ winning would be a slight upset, nothing more. England v Aus is a genuine 50/50. The battle hardened, absolute refusal to give up mentality that Australia have will probably get them over the line. England had two must wins where they won the toss. I wouldn’t fancy England to chase 300+ but Australia definitely can

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
England v Aus is a genuine 50/50. The battle hardened, absolute refusal to give up mentality that Australia have will probably get them over the line. England had two must wins where they won the toss. I wouldn’t fancy England to chase 300+ but Australia definitely can
So England v Aus isn’t a genuine 50/50, more like with Aus favourites which I agree with based on the points you raised.

diarm

One thing I never get is when a batsman smashes a ball but it gets caught just short of the boundary and the bowler celebrates as if he's just taken out middle stump. Baffling
As an off spinner, tempting batsman into smashing balls towards the off side boundary is one of your key tactics. Slowly weaning a conservative batsman out from his shell and landing him in cow corner can be every bit as satisfying as taking his middle stump.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
As an off spinner, tempting batsman into smashing balls towards the off side boundary is one of your key tactics. Slowly weaning a conservative batsman out from his shell and landing him in cow corner can be every bit as satisfying as taking his middle stump.
It all depends on the situation as well. Certain bowlers will keep tossing it up to entice the batsman into a false a shot. A decent example was Bumrah's first wicket yesterday where Jadeja piled the pressure on Karunaratne and thus forced him into a poor shot. It wasn't a great ball but it was great cricket.

zing

Zingle balls
Any locals here on what we can expect tomorrow re weather?

Want to take the day off work but not sure we'll get a proper match.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Any locals here on what we can expect tomorrow re weather?

Want to take the day off work but not sure we'll get a proper match.
By forecast it looks like at worst it will be like India-Pak. There is a chance there might not be any rain at all but it will definitely be overcast for most of the match. Main question is if the conditions will help pace bowling more than they did for India-Pak match. NZ would be praying they do.

It also makes the decision after toss difficult. Batting first and winning has been the mantra for second half of the tournament but for a rain hit match with potential chance of taking advantage of early overcast conditions, bowling first is the commonly held view.

iKnowNothing

How does the reserve day pan out? Say the rain interruption happens in the first innings around 35 over mark.. then it goes on to rain for the rest of the day.. on the reserve day, will the play resume from over number 36 or do they start over?
Or if 20 overs have been played, does the DL kick in or do they play it out the next day and only then apply DL?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I get that but what I'm trying to say is if the ball carried another 10 feet it would have been a 6. Not as if the bowler did anything special, just got lucky
Sometimes it is sheer luck, sometimes it’s good field placement and other times it’s about getting the batsman to mishit or mistime the shot and that is definitely down to good bowling as the batsman might have still got some powerful connection but lacks the control on the shot as he misjudged the ball due to the excellence of the delivery.

In football we see people celebrate deflected goals, in tennis we see players fist pump after a net cord before apologising to the opponent , in golf we see people cheer holes in one (which takes a lot of luck).

So I don’t think it’s crazy to see cricketers celebrate a wicket like that and even if they’re not celebrating the fact that it was the brilliance of their bowling in regards to that particular wicket it’s the fact they may have taken a danger man out or they’re just getting closer to the win by taking another batsman out of the equation.

crappycraperson

Scout
How does the reserve day pan out? Say the rain interruption happens in the first innings around 35 over mark.. then it goes on to rain for the rest of the day.. on the reserve day, will the play resume from over number 36 or do they start over?
Or if 20 overs have been played, does the DL kick in or do they play it out the next day and only then apply DL?
Don't know the answer to the second question but they will resume from where the match left off instead of starting over. If I had to guess I would say that they will only go to reserve day if they absolutely had to that is when a minimum 20 overs in second innings could not be completed.

crappycraperson

Scout
If we don't do damage upfront with the ball, this will be super tough. NZ can pile up a big score as well with likes of Neesham and CDG hitting big at the end.

NinjaFletch

Don't know the answer to the second question but they will resume from where the match left off instead of starting over. If I had to guess I would say that they will only go to reserve day if they absolutely had to that is when a minimum 20 overs in second innings could not be completed.
Yep. You're spot on with both guesses.

These are the order of preferences as far as ICC are concerned:

1. Full 50 over match on first day
2. Rain reduced match on first day
3. Reserve day used because of a rain reduced game in which 20 overs can't be bowled in the second innings. This day would just be used to finish off the overs left in the game.
4. Reserve day used because of a first day wash out; this would be a full 50 over game.

MDFC Manager

My confidence has gone down with the toss :nervous:

No Shami, that's a big surprise for me. Rest looks ok.

MJJ

India seem a bowler short to me, not sure I get the logic of playing three keepers and DK at six.

NZ depends a lot on how the openers do but think its an easy win for India.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Batting first is an advantage if you have decent openers and take the game deep. NZ don't have that. Should be a walkover for India.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
NZ have a massive advantage right now. Should make for a good contest against a slightly stronger outfit.

zing

Zingle balls
Indian team is somewhat surprising IMO.
Defensive. Saw some post online which echoes how I feel - played finger spinners, lost champions trophy and spent two years preparing with wrist spinners. Now changed tactics at the time of asking. Should be Kuldeep or shami for Jadeja. He will do well on some days but I'd back the other two.

Skills

Snitch
BK went for runs against Sri Lanka, so I don't get why they've kept him in if Shami is available