ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
England will win & would be deserving champions. They’ve been very consistent & dominant in ODIs for the last 3/4 years.

That said, I’m still hoping NZ can pull off a shock win. Hopefully will be a good game.

dbs235

On the other hand NZ's openers have been poor alp tournament. For Guptill if he can finally come to the party they'll be so much better off but Archer and Wood will fancy themselves to get rid early on and get Kane in with a rebuilding job.
England need to be very aggressive. Like you said, try get rid of their openers early and make them rely on Williamson. His average is good but his strike rate is slow and it will be even slower if he knows he has to anchor their innings. If Roy and Bairstow can see out the first 10 overs I'm backing England all the way.

Spoony

The People's President
Probably good for your players not for the sport.

Bad for the game. I also suspect we'll see empty seats at the ground today. Cricket will never be huge here but surely they can do more to spread the game. It doesn't help when a sport like cricket isn't free to air.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
Bad for the game. I also suspect we'll see empty seats at the ground today. Cricket will never be huge here but surely they can do more to spread the game. It doesn't help when a sport like cricket isn't free to air.
ECB has to somehow make Cricket accessible & co-exist alongside football in mainstream.

Thought ICC/ECB missed a trick by not having Ireland. Atleast have couple of games in Ireland/Scotland. Would have done its bit to promote sport there as well as raise some competitive spirit with the English.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
ECB has to somehow make Cricket accessible & co-exist alongside football in mainstream.

Thought ICC/ECB missed a trick by not having Ireland. Atleast have couple of games in Ireland/Scotland. Would have done its bit to promote sport there as well as raise some competitive spirit with the English.
Ireland were a loss. There are twelve full ICC members. A format with ten teams isn't ideal.

zing

Zingle balls
What's the forecast like? Seeing quite a bit of rain on TV - not sure if it's live or recorded earlier today.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
What's the forecast like? Seeing quite a bit of rain on TV - not sure if it's live or recorded earlier today.
Should be fine once it stops but could rain till 12/1pm, after that looks fine

Classical Mechanic

Any empty seats will be because Indian fans bought them all up and they failed to get to the final.

DOTA

Would winning this be as celebrated as the rugby win?
My suspicion is that was celebrated so much as we'd had very little sporting British sporting success for a long while.

Since that we've had England win numerous ashes series including beating one of the best teams ever in 05 as well as a 20/20 win, a Scottish bloke winning numerous tennis grand slams, four major tournament semi finals in the football from the men and women of the English and Welsh teams, I think it's two different English F1 champions (I don't follow it much), a Northern Irish bloke reaching world number one in golf and consistent remarkable success in the olympics.

You could probably list the British sporting achievement from the decade and a half before the rugby win on a postage stamp.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Lords is near Marylebone, right? That's what I'm checking and it looks like we'd be unlucky not to start on time.

• Am at Lords right now. Rained abit overnight but been fine for a few hours and dried up in streets around the ground.

Overcast with some dark grey clouds nearby though
Excellent.

They’re saying 10:45 start now so not bad.

NinjaFletch

It's been sold out for over a year. If people don't turn up it's one (odd) thing, but they've had no issues selling tickets to games this tournament.

Skills

Snitch
My suspicion is that was celebrated so much as we'd had very little sporting British sporting success for a long while.

Since that we've had England win numerous ashes series including beating one of the best teams ever in 05 as well as a 20/20 win, a Scottish bloke winning numerous tennis grand slams, four major tournament semi finals in the football from the men and women of the English and Welsh teams, I think it's two different English F1 champions (I don't follow it much), a Northern Irish bloke reaching world number one in golf and consistent remarkable success in the olympics.

You could probably list the British sporting achievement from the decade and a half before the rugby win on a postage stamp.
A lot of Olympic success too in 08,12 and 16 as well as the Tour de France wins. Been a great 15 or so years for British sport

Djemba-Djemba

Was just thinking that - from all accounts, doesn't seem an obvious choice.

Ganguly on TV said bat first..
I still think I'd bat first if it was up to me.

Get through those difficult first few overs, easier said than done of course, and then as it gets easier to bat rack up the runs.

DOTA

I'd bowl first but I wouldn't be confident about it.

zing

Zingle balls
I still think I'd bat first if it was up to me.

Get through those difficult first few overs, easier said than done of course, and then as it gets easier to bat rack up the runs.
KP on TV saying he's not sure he'd bat first - says you can lose it in 30 minutes if you bat first.

NinjaFletch

NZ bat.

Reckon that's more important for pressure at the end than it is for overheads up first.

Djemba-Djemba

I don't think New Zealand would have won chasing, so them winning the toss and batting first is their best chance of winning.

Nervous.

Dan_F

Going to be very interesting if New Zealand can get through the first 10 overs relatively intact. Wouldn’t be surprised if we managed to get some early wickets in these conditions.

DOTA

Anyone nerdy enough to know how these pitches at Lords have been playing?