ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
I agree to be honest. Some of the comments from Indian supporters on here really smack of arrogance - particularly as India were a joke themselves until 2011. Some of the comments after England lost to Sri Lanka and Australia were ridiculous.

Fact is India have got a couple of decent batsman and the rest are pretty average. All the best batsman in the IPL, bar those two, are foreign. They're going to have to find some new players and quickly if they want to start winning trophies consistently.
India has a ridiculous amount of batting talent waiting to breakthrough. The selection policy leading up to this World Cup has been Kohli, Dhoni and friends approach and it’s cost them big. Not saying they would’ve definitely won the tournament but they’d have been much better placed with better selection.

The likes of Shaw, Gill, Pant, Iyer and Samson are all talented enough to be to be starting the first match of the next WC. It’s up to the selectors and management to their job properly

AshRK

England are the best cricket team in the world. It’s a brilliant achievement.

Considering India has a population of 1.3 billion, and cricket is their number one sport. They should really win a lot more than they normally do.

It’s a bit embarrassing really. It looks like we’ll have to show them how to play it again in 2023.
Considering you lot were the original inventors of the game, it is really embarrassing it took this long to win one.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Let's be honest the nation that can be most proud of its sporting clout is New Zealand. Less than 5million people with world-class sporting teams.
Not that hard when they can pick up talent from South Africa, Australia etc.

zing

Zingle balls
what's everyone's vote for the best matches of the WC?

The final has to be #1. India NZ semi is my #2(despite the result). #3 would be West Indies v NZ maybe?

AshRK

The final has to be #1. India NZ semi is my #2(despite the result). #3 would be West Indies v NZ maybe?
Final
NZ v. WI
Ind Afg

From indian perspective really enjoyed Ind v. Aus match

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I agree to be honest. Some of the comments from Indian supporters on here really smack of arrogance - particularly as India were a joke themselves until 2011. Some of the comments after England lost to Sri Lanka and Australia were ridiculous.

Fact is India have got a couple of decent batsman and the rest are pretty average. All the best batsman in the IPL, bar those two, are foreign. They're going to have to find some new players and quickly if they want to start winning trophies consistently.
I have followed India team since early 1990's. Above statement not really true as it was under Ganguly in early millennium years that India started to become a force:

India's famous test win vs Australia in 2001 was the beginning of India's development into a top team. They also had a very famous ODI win vs England in 2002 at Lords and made it to ODI final in 2003. Famous for many runs fests in Sharjah and beyond, Sehwag, Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly, Laxman is as good a batting up in the history of the game: in my opinion they compete with Australia 2003 and the West Indies Greenidge, Haynes, Richardson, Richards, Gomes, Lloyd, Dujon batting unit from the 1980s. Each had world class quality plus tenure and consistency.

Ganguly is the most important man in modern Indian cricket history and one off my favourite sportsmen of all time. Without him, there would be no Dhoni, no 2011, no IPL no BCCI being top dogs. Unfortunately for India in those years, their bowling was vastly inferior, which is why Australia was the team of the era.

This England batting unit and the team in general has the chance to be considered in the same bracket, if it can continue for a few more years, perhaps by also winning next years T20 cup.

Last edited:

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

Eng vs Sri Lanka, Eng vs Pakistan and... Eng vs Australia. Someone bite.

rotherham_red

The Final
NZ v India
Pak v Afghanistan

Honourable mentions: Windies v NZ; NZ v South Africa; England v Pak; Bangladesh v Windies

JohnnyKills

I have followed India team since early 1990's. Above statement not really true as it was under Ganguly in early millennium years that India started to become a force:

India's famous test win vs Australia in 2001 was the beginning of India's development into a top team. They also had a very famous ODI win vs England in 2002 at Lords and made it to ODI final in 2003. Famous for many runs fests in Sharjah and beyond, Sehwag, Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly, Laxman is as good a batting up in the history of the game: in my opinion they compete with Australia 2003 and the West Indies Greenidge, Haynes, Richardson, Richards, Gomes, Lloyd, Dujon batting unit from the 1980s. Each had world class quality plus tenure and consistency.

Ganguly is the most important man in modern Indian cricket history and one off my favourite sportsmen of all time. Without him, there would be no Dhoni, no 2011, no IPL no BCCI being top dogs. Unfortunately for India in those years, their bowling was vastly inferior, which is why Australia was the team of the era.

This England batting unit and the team in general has the chance to be considered in the same bracket, if it can continue for a few more years, perhaps by also winning next years T20 cup.
England have already won one more trophy than India managed during the entire period you mention.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
England have already won one more trophy than India managed during the entire period you mention.

You stated that India 'were a joke' until 2011. England winning a cup (not sure what you're talking about) does not make that statement true.

I was at Lords supporting England, and a few of the India fans in this thread dislike me because I enjoyed being a WUM towards them a couple of years ago. So I'm being very objective here, unlike your comment which from what I can see is without evidence or merit.

Last edited:

JohnnyKills

India has a ridiculous amount of batting talent waiting to breakthrough. The selection policy leading up to this World Cup has been Kohli, Dhoni and friends approach and it’s cost them big. Not saying they would’ve definitely won the tournament but they’d have been much better placed with better selection.

The likes of Shaw, Gill, Pant, Iyer and Samson are all talented enough to be to be starting the first match of the next WC. It’s up to the selectors and management to their job properly
You could say that for a lot of teams though. Watch the T20 Blast over the next few weeks and you'll see plenty of talented young British players too. Sure Australia are saying the same about people like D'Arcy Short and Will Pucovski.

All the players you mentioned are talented but there's a reason that Dhoni played this WC. The younger players haven't done enough to force their way in (and, let's be honest, Kohli needs a lot of help in the field).

AshRK

You could say that for a lot of teams though. Watch the T20 Blast over the next few weeks and you'll see plenty of talented young British players too. Sure Australia are saying the same about people like D'Arcy Short and Will Pucovski.

All the players you mentioned are talented but there's a reason that Dhoni played this WC. The younger players haven't done enough to force their way in (and, let's be honest, Kohli needs a lot of help in the field).
Younger players cannot force their way in if they are not given proper chance. I am not going to say all the talents that are there will be Kohli or Rohit esque but had our selectors showed more balls and trusted the likes of Pant, Iyer, Shaw we would not be depending on Dhoni, Shankar, Karthik and Jadhav to bail us out when in trouble. It was a poorly handled situation.

As for Kohli's captaincy goes. Well many have already said that he is not a very good captain in limited over formats, be it for India or RCB. His test captaincy is somewhat good but he always looks tactically naive in limited over formats.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Younger players cannot force their way in if they are not given proper chance. I am not going to say all the talents that are there will be Kohli or Rohit esque but had our selectors showed more balls and trusted the likes of Pant, Iyer, Shaw we would not be depending on Dhoni, Shankar, Karthik and Jadhav to bail us out when in trouble. It was a poorly handled situation.

As for Kohli's captaincy goes. Well many have already said that he is not a very good captain in limited over formats, be it for India or RCB. His test captaincy is somewhat good but he always looks tactically naive in limited over formats.
Kohli's poor captaincy has been a major contributor to RCB's shockingly bad IPL results past few years. But it seems to have been 'brushed under the carpet' in fear of upsetting him or for 'the national good'. That lack of proper criticism has harmed India in limited overs cricket.

Rohit Sharma has proven to be better candidate in limited overs cricket, evidenced by his amazing leadership at Mumbai Indians, especially in this years final. Trusting Malinga with that final over in the final is one of the finest pieces of leadership I've seen in cricket in recent times.

AshRK

Kohli's poor captaincy has been a major contributor to RCB's shockingly bad IPL results past few years. But it seems to have been 'brushed under the carpet' in fear of upsetting him or for 'the national good'. That lack of proper criticism has harmed India in limited overs cricket.

Rohit Sharma has proven to be better candidate in limited overs cricket, evidenced by his amazing leadership at Mumbai Indians, especially in this years final. Trusting Malinga with that final over in the final is one of the finest pieces of leadership I've seen in cricket in recent times.
Rohit is a much better captain in limited overs but Kohli will not be resigning. Problem is he is too powerful and unless he himself decides to step down , I cannot see it ending well. Kohli loves to surround himself with yes men, be it Shastri or the current bunch of selectors. Last 4 to 5 years have been missed opportunities for this Indian team to win a major trophy. In the next 4 years we will have 2 t20 wcs and the next 50 over WC. If we do not WIN even one of them then it will be a huge failure. Imagine not winning even one major trophy when you have got one of the finest batsmen with you and also another top top batsmen in Rohit and one of the best death bowlers in Bumrah.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)

The youngsters have had sporadic opportunity so far, the next ODI squad will be telling for India going forward. This is the start of the next cycle toward a home WC for India so they need to get it right. Kohli shouldn’t be limited overs captain and the man who should be, Rohit Sharma, will be 36 by the next WC so Kohli isn’t stepping down. The fact the likes of DK were part of the squad is absolutely scandalous

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
You stated that India 'were a joke' until 2011. England winning a cup (not sure what you're talking about) does not make that statement true.

I was at Lords supporting England, and a few of the India fans in this thread dislike me because I enjoyed being a WUM towards them a couple of years ago. So I'm being very objective here, unlike your comment which from what I can see is without evidence or merit.
Win a world cup, re-write history.

@JohnnyKills You should do some research before posting such nonsense. After the 2007 WC debacle, we changed our entire outlook to cricket and brought through some young talent. We beat Pakistan in maybe the greatest game of cricket in an epic T20 encounter whilst recoring a massive test series win here in the UK.

At the end of the year, we were robbed off an historical victory against Australia in the test series by shoddy umpiring. However, we repsonded by winning the CB series in another landmark. In 2008 and 2009, we recorded victories against New Zealand, England and Australia again. Our test rise didnt signal our ODI demise. We dominated both arenas and by 2011, we recorded yet another infamous result by drawing to South Africa and almost pipped them to an ODI series win when Yusuf Pathan scored 100 off 70 to almost chase a modest total.

Later that year, we went on to win the world cup led by, cancer affected, Yuvraj Singh which completed a remarkable turn around from four years earlier when Bangladesh knocked us out. Sound familiar? Unlike England, we didnt compromise the test arena and remained number 1 in both forms.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I personally think it's a bad idea. A fielder may find it easy to hit the batsmen as he's a bigger target than the stumps. This is an unneeded fix for an instance that doesn't occur often. Batsmen do not run when it takes a deflection anyway. I've played street cricket tournaments and even then, I've only seen people like Vidared and Sammsky even attempt those kinds of runs. But, if others here think it's a good idea, then I will revise my opinion.
:lol:

AshRK

Win a world cup, re-write history.

@JohnnyKills You should do some research before posting such nonsense. After the 2007 WC debacle, we changed our entire outlook to cricket and brought through some young talent. We beat Pakistan in maybe the greatest game of cricket in an epic T20 encounter whilst recoring a massive test series win here in the UK.

At the end of the year, we were robbed off an historical victory against Australia in the test series by shoddy umpiring. However, we repsonded by winning the CB series in another landmark. In 2008 and 2009, we recorded victories against New Zealand, England and Australia again. Our test rise didnt signal our ODI demise. We dominated both arenas and by 2011, we recorded yet another infamous result by drawing to South Africa and almost pipped them to an ODI series win when Yusuf Pathan scored 100 off 70 to almost chase a modest total.

Later that year, we went on to win the world cup led by, cancer affected, Yuvraj Singh which completed a remarkable turn around from four years earlier when Bangladesh knocked us out. Sound familiar? Unlike England, we didnt compromise the test arena and remained number 1 in both forms.
I think England 2015-19 circa is almost similar to ours that you mention from 2007-11.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
But Bayliss was right when he told the players England cricketers get ahead of themselves far too quickly. England lost to Sri Lanka at Headingley, and were thumped by Australia at Lord’s, plunging their campaign into crisis. Again, they had been tense, reacted petulantly to criticism and struggled to handle expectation. England lost to Australia on Tuesday June 25. They had four days to prepare for their next game against India at Edgbaston, a ground that normally is England’s sanctuary, but would be backing the other side. Lose and it was over.

Bayliss and Morgan knew something had to change. There was something rotten eating away. They turned to David Young, the team psychologist. Between them they agreed on two tactics. Firstly, a whole team meeting where every player would be invited to speak regardless of seniority. Telegraph Sport can reveal they also brought a big screen into the team room. On it was shown a video pieced together by the England and Wales Cricket Board of clips of the players talking about each other’s strengths. The message was they had to start enjoying playing in a home World Cup again, concentrate on their strengths and trust each other.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2019/07/15/inside-story-england-won-2019-cricket-world-cup/

zing

Zingle balls
The reaction videos, comments etc have been good to watch/read. Follow a lot of English cricket being a big fan of English test cricket, as well as seeing some of these guys in the IPL, so it's more relatable vs NZ who we hardly get to see.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I go back and forth with cricket, but this world cup has got me right in the mood for the Ashes now. Can't wait.