ICC Cricket World Cup 2019

iKnowNothing

So apparently one of the outcomes of the Indian team's defeat is that they're going to consider having different captains for different formats. Kohli for tests and Rohit Sharma for one days - with an eye at the next world cup.

The only problem with this is Sharma is 32 already. Are we going to build up to the next world cup with a 36 year old captain?

Skills

Snitch
So apparently one of the outcomes of the Indian team's defeat is that they're going to consider having different captains for different formats. Kohli for tests and Rohit Sharma for one days - with an eye at the next world cup.

The only problem with this is Sharma is 32 already. Are we going to build up to the next world cup with a 36 year old captain?
They're in a tricky spot. With the way the teams been managed, nobody has been allowed to grow & develop into a leadership role in the last few years.

Who knows what Rohit will be like in 4 years time, but I don't think he'll be particularly great for some reason. He's a bit like Sehwag for me, so he could drop off the hill pretty sharpish.

AshRK

Poor Michael. Wanting whole india to support England. As if he would have supported india if we were playing NZ.

I don't understand why many English supporters are acting surprised here. There has never been a game like this and the moment it ended it was always going to create some controversy or unpopular opinions. Jeez you guys won the freaking WC, enjoy and savor the moment rather than spending time on something nonsense. Imagine had India won the WC , I wouldn't care less what other fans thought of us. England are the deserving champions, just enjoy.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

Poor Michael. Wanting whole india to support England. As if he would have supported india if we were playing NZ.

I don't understand why many English supporters are acting surprised here. There has never been a game like this and the moment it ended it was always going to create some controversy or unpopular opinions. Jeez you guys won the freaking WC, enjoy and savor the moment rather than spending time on something nonsense. Imagine had India won the WC , I wouldn't care less what other fans thought of us. England are the deserving champions, just enjoy.
Doesn't help when people are actually crying about England's win as a "farce" and "cheats". Extremely bitter. Morgans smug face doesn't give me any joy either but they won fair and square.

AshRK

Doesn't help when people are actually crying about England's win as a "farce" and "cheats". Extremely bitter. Morgans smug face doesn't give me any joy either but they won fair and square.
In a population of 3.2 billion even if 1 percent are crying that doesn't mean every Indian is crying. Actually those who are crying are crying about the rules to be changed and that it was unfair on NZ. And it's just not indians even peopel from Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Australia all felt NZ were hard done. I do not think Eng fans should be bothered at all. they played fair game and won fair and square. If 3.2 billion population .5% are saying you cheated does not mean every Indian under the sun carries the same opinion and also does not warrant for some English supporters to get worked up.

Anyways coming to the original point, how does it matter what Indian fan feel. Why do the likes of Vaughan want a certificate of approval from Indian fans. Just go and enjoy. People will always comment. Had India won, you lot would have changed your tone completely and backed NZ all the way. That is what sports is about. Nothing to take personal from that or form presumption that all Indians are bitter and have hatred towards English side when half of the indians and even rest of the world have something more important to worry about .

zing

Zingle balls
In a population of 3.2 billion even if 1 percent are crying that doesn't mean every Indian is crying. Actually those who are crying are crying about the rules to be changed and that it was unfair on NZ. And it's just not indians even peopel from Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Australia all felt NZ were hard done. I do not think Eng fans should be bothered at all. they played fair game and won fair and square. If 3.2 billion population .5% are saying you cheated does not mean every Indian under the sun carries the same opinion and also does not warrant for some English supporters to get worked up.

Anyways coming to the original point, how does it matter what Indian fan feel. Why do the likes of Vaughan want a certificate of approval from Indian fans. Just go and enjoy. People will always comment. Had India won, you lot would have changed your tone completely and backed NZ all the way. That is what sports is about. Nothing to take personal from that or form presumption that all Indians are bitter and have hatred towards English side when half of the indians and even rest of the world have something more important to worry about .
tbf he can only comment on the ones he sees - not like he can survey 1.4 billion people before coming on to redcafe

AshRK

tbf he can only comment on the ones he sees - not like he can survey 1.4 billion people before coming on to redcafe
But even here apart from couple of people I don't see any Indian calling this english side cheats or undeserving. In fact many said this english side were favourites to win the cup.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
But even here apart from couple of people I don't see any Indian calling this english side cheats or undeserving. In fact many said this english side were favourites to win the cup.
Nah definitely is just a couple of people, I think most people in this thread have been pretty sound and considering the tension between some of the countries it’s been good natured enough.

dbs235

Nah definitely is just a couple of people, I think most people in this thread have been pretty sound and considering the tension between some of the countries it’s been good natured enough.
Do most people from commonwealth countries actively dislike England, beyond sporting rivalries?

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Do most people from commonwealth countries actively dislike England, beyond sporting rivalries?
I was thinking more between the subcontinental teams as that can get a bit fiery at times, I can’t speak for how they think of us but on an individual basis I’ve never had a problem with anyone from any of these other countries.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
The overthrow rule is stupid. What if I position myself in front of the wicket when completing a run and clobber the ball for a six, does that mean six overthrows. Overthrows after hitting the wicket or the batsmen should be stopped. For all practical purposes the play has ended when the ball hits the wicket or the player.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
The overthrow rule is stupid. What if I position myself in front of the wicket when completing a run and clobber the ball for a six, does that mean six overthrows. Overthrows after hitting the wicket or the batsmen should be stopped. For all practical purposes the play has ended when the ball hits the wicket or the player.
I think that would be obstructing the field. Not allowed.

Moonred

No, you will be sent back to the pavilion and rightly so. Unlike this case.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

Its like wondering why anyone would have supported Wigan during the 2013 (?) FA cup final against City. If it wasnt for this fool, I'd actually like England.

AshRK

Surprisingly Indian media have been less critical this time after our semifinal exit when in fact I expected them to go crazy on Kohli and Shastri. Maybe even they have realised as long as Kohli is around he will keep the captaincy and Shastri is here to stay.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I don't think there is any actual dislike for England. If Australia or any other country had won in similar fashion, the outrage would still be the same. It's just that the game was won based on two rules that everyone perceives to be flawed. Though neither was England's fault, they get "undeserving" tag...which actually is underserved. ICC is the one to be blamed for this.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Surprisingly Indian media have been less critical this time after our semifinal exit when in fact I expected them to go crazy on Kohli and Shastri. Maybe even they have realised as long as Kohli is around he will keep the captaincy and Shastri is here to stay.
I presume the fans have been distracted by the final, which rightly outstaged any outrage. Had this been a tame final, then the outrage in India would have been far worse :lol:

AshRK

I presume the fans have been distracted by the final, which rightly outstaged any outrage. Had this been a tame final, then the outrage in India would have been far worse :lol:
That's true. I feel NZ taking England to the limits made India's loss look less worse. I hope there is some serious scrutiny on Shastri and our selectors. If BCCI are serious about dominating world cricket on the field they should just sack all of them straight away especially that 3d comment guy (MSK prasad ?)