ICC T20 World Cup 2021

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Very disappointing to see the toss being so decisive in this tournament. At the beginning I thought the teams batting first simply not batting well. But now it's a pattern. Apart from the minnows playing each other can't remember more than a few games where the team batting second has lost.
Is it always like that? Why was the toss and batting second better?

SinNombre

Fantastic tournament getting the final it deserves.

Win toss, win match.

Time to bin this tournament as the abomination it was.

LDUred

You have to give Australia credit. They recovered from being dismantled by England and they put out Pakistan when they were under pressure halfway through their innings and it looked as if they would be bowled out. They've risen to the challenge when it matters most, like Australian sides so often do.

But overall, it hasn't been a great tournament for this format. Too many predictable, foregone conclusion games.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
In other 20/20 tournaments do matches win by toss?

Why is this one so heavily won by that?

AshRK

This is the same Australia that lost 5-0 to Bangladesh 2 months back. They have peaked at the correct time.

LDUred

In other 20/20 tournaments do matches win by toss?

Why is this one so heavily won by that?
Dew is a big factor. It really scuppers the side bowling second's chances. The ball comes onto the bat quicker and the ball is harder to grip. It's a nightmare.

Generally speaking games that are played during the day are more evenly contested depending on who wins the toss. But those who hold the game's purse-strings obviously prefer the spectacle of games being played at night because there's way more money in it.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Some way to finish it. Very good from Australia, but a boring final. They peaked at the right time with excellent batting in the semi and today. Disappointing for NZ again in a limited overs final.

Batting second was too much of a differential throughout, the toss shouldn't be this important in major tournaments.

Cloud7

Warner finding form has been the biggest driving factor in Aus winning this. Other guys have definitely performed but Warner has been the difference.

Reddevildans

Is it always like that? Why was the toss and batting second better?
Not sure of the stats pre tournament. It'll actually be interesting to see if someone can dig it out. But certainly dew has played a factor in this tournament. The ball coming onto the bat better later on in the day etc.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
At this WC yes. I think I still back England though if they had a few key players back (Archer especially)
Will be interesting to see the level Archer returns at. For a fast bowler, being out with his injuries for so long could have a pretty big impact.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
this has been the worst world cup of any sport i remember watching for a long while. one or two decent games, loads of one sided contests and the toss the deciding factor in a 3 hour game.
100% true. Worst Cricket WC I have watched since 2007. Semis were exciting and that's about it.

crappycraperson

Scout
Congrats Australia for winning 6 tosses out of 7, which also meant that by completely coincidence they only won those 6 matches. :wenger:

Skills

Snitch
Will be interesting to see the level Archer returns at. For a fast bowler, being out with his injuries for so long could have a pretty big impact.
I think he'll be fine but they just need to keep him away from Joe Root

crappycraperson

Scout
Pakistan was the best team easy. Or at least the most complete.
Still think England are. They came in without their best bowler, Archer too. They did bottle those last few overs against NZ but then Pak sort of did the same given Oz were 90 off for 5 at one stage.

MichaelKorleone

We were having a chat while watching this final and this is what we could come up with so far -

Test playing nations -

Pak vs
Ind - batted 2nd, won
NZ - batted 2nd, won
Afg - batted 2nd, won
Aus - batted 1st, lost

Eng vs
Aus - batted 2nd, won
SL - batted 1st, won
SA - batted 2nd, lost (through with scoring 80+, top of the group by scoring 130+)
WI - batted 2nd, won
Ban - batted 2nd, won

Aus vs
Eng - batted 1st, lost
WI - batted 2nd, won
Ban - batted 2nd, won
SL - batted 2nd, won
SA - batted 2nd, won
Pak - batted 2nd, won
NZ - batted 2nd, won

Ind vs
Pak - batted 1st, lost
NZ - batted 1st, lost
Afg - batted 1st, won

Afg vs
Pak - batted 1st, lost
NZ - batted 1st, lost
Ind - batted 2nd, lost

NZ vs
Pak - batted 1st, lost
Ind - batted 2nd, won
Afg - batted 2nd, won
Eng - batted 2nd, won
Aus - batted 1st, lost

WI vs
SA - batted 1st, lost
Eng - batted 1st, lost
Ban - batted 1st, won
Aus - batted 1st, lost
SL - batted 2nd, lost

SA vs
Aus - batted 1st, lost
WI - batted 2nd, won
SL - batted 2nd, won
Ban - batted 2nd, won
Eng - batted 1st, won (Eng through by scoring 81)

AshRK

Still think England are. They came in without their best bowler, Archer too. They did bottle those last few overs against NZ but then Pak sort of did the same given Oz were 90 off for 5 at one stage.
For me Pakistan were the best side of the tournament. Played some good cricket but had piss poor 15 mins which meant they were knocked out.

AshRK

The way the groups were divided was itself a joke. This whole wc was an underwhelming affair. Win the toss win the match. Kohli and team India were already knocked out on that basis.

crappycraperson

Scout
The way the groups were divided was itself a joke. This whole wc was an underwhelming affair. Win the toss win the match. Kohli and team India were already knocked out on that basis.
We played crap even with with tosses going against us. Was never going to be our WC, should have let Oz host this one and waited out till 2022 to host at home. Greedy BCCI though would rather rake in the mooolah now.

LDUred

Pakistan was the best team easy. Or at least the most complete.
I would say they were arguably the best team but there are a few question marks. They did manage to lose an Australian side that had looked dreadful against England.

England beat Australia comfortably but something went wrong after that. Injuries to Mills and Roy obviously didn't help, but they were reliant on fireworks from Buttler and Roy and there was something awry with the middle order.

Their defeat to New Zealand was kind of anaemic. Losing Roy might have damaged their confidence.

Last edited:

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
They need to manage him better or his career will be hampered with injuries.

Shaheen’s not had injury issues so far, but I have the same worry with him that he’s playing too much cricket & bowling too much without rest.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Cant imagine anyone will remember anything that happened in this tournament in about a year.

Bar the India game if you are Pakistani ofcourse.

Dudu

Meh. Has the toss been a factor in this WC? Yup, It has.

However, dew has been minimal in all 3 knockout games. Not even remotely close to some of the S12 games. Hardly seen any towels out or obvious signs of bowlers struggling to grip the ball.

Here's why NZ were never in the game:

Guptil 28 (35) :houllier:
Phillips 18 (17)
Mitchell 11 (8)
Seifert 8 (6)

Awful construction of the innings. If not for Kane, NZ would have been absolutely demolished.

Eng failed to take advantage of their batting depth v NZ, and were woeful at their death bowling (badly missing Mills)
Pakistan slowed down far too much in the middle overs vs AUS. Late launch yes, but only got them to a par total.
Both Semi's could have gone either way.

They could have minimized all this somewhat by pushing the night games an hour later, but they didn't want to risk hurting TV audience viewing I guess.

Last edited:

Chief123

Very disappointing to see the toss being so decisive in this tournament. At the beginning I thought the teams batting first simply not batting well. But now it's a pattern. Apart from the minnows playing each other can't remember more than a few games where the team batting second has lost.
It ended up something like 19 out of 26 games won by the chasing team.

It really was a “Win the toss, win the World Cup” tournament. A shame really.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Meh. Has the toss been a factor in this WC? Yup, It has.

However, dew has been minimal in all 3 knockout games. Not even remotely close to some of the S12 games. Hardly seen any towels out or obvious signs of bowlers struggling to grip the ball.

Here's why NZ were never in the game:

Guptil 28 (35) :houllier:
Phillips 18 (17)
Mitchell 11 (8)
Seifert 8 (6)

Awful construction of the innings. If not for Kane, NZ would have been absolutely demolished.

Eng failed to take advantage of their batting depth v NZ, and were woeful at their death bowling (badly missing Mills)
Pakistan slowed down far too much in the middle overs vs AUS. Late launch yes, but only got them to a par total.
Both Semi's could have gone either way.

They could have minimized all this somewhat by pushing the night games an hour later, but they didn't want to risk hurting TV audience viewing I guess.

Strange that people still keep arguing this point when the results are clear for everyone to see. At this level the differences in results are not so stark just by chance

Dudu

Strange that people still keep arguing this point when the results are clear for everyone to see. At this level the differences in results are not so stark just by chance

Dew has obviously been a major factor throughout the Tournament. But I was referring only to the KO games, where it looked visibly less than some of the group games.

Doesn't change the fact that Eng/Pak/NZ all didn't bat too well in their 1st innings. And both semis could have easily gone either way.