ICC T20 World Cup 2022

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
One good thing about us is that we're still a very young team.

Shaheen, Naseem, Shadab, Haris, Wasim Jnr are all in their early 20's while Babar, Rauf, Rizwan, Nawaz are under 30. Definitely can build on and try to go one better the next try.

Djemba-Djemba

fecking made up.

Undisputed champions in white ball cricket, first team to ever do it. Established themselves as true greats

Curran was brilliant and Stokes is the ultimate big game player.

fecking brilliant.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
It is easy to say in hindsight and most teams would have gone for the big hits at that point. This is why you always bat second.
Yea easy to say with hindsight but as @2mufc0 is saying - you play to the context you’re in as well. Assess the situation and whatnot.

For me, 4 out of 5 of our bowlers were on the money - Wasim was diabolical with the bat and ball. Afridi going off as well was a huge huge moment. Iftikhar went for 12/13 runs off his 5 deliveries.

Trequarista10

Can't believe people were questioning Stokes' selection. Phenomenal player who gets into any side in the world, in any format.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Even 90 mins of football is full of luck. I don't think something equivalent of Greece winning a Euros comp has happened in cricket yet for example. Only solution for rain wrt cricket is stadiums with roof. Eventually at least rich boards should invest in one and have big finals scheduled for same, similar to Tennis.
But that's one Euros.

England winning it this year seems fair enough to me but I have to say since 2007 India, Pakistan, West India and Sri Lanka have all won it without being the best side in my opinion.

That said the future will be T20. ODIs seem too long now.

Shame about today's injury to Afridi think we could have had a real game if he bowled that over.

As often with Pakistan, poor batting but Brilliant bowling.

England, particularly this English side has deserve it. They've almost redefined LOI in the past decade. This team deserves to be remembered as champions..

marktan

Thought Butter did really well in the early spell to get runs on board quickly when others were struggling. Set the tone.

If I remember he also had an excellent IPL season also? If there was a ballan d'Or for cricket surely he'd be up there for a shout.

Chief123

I know is a moot point but surely they could use non-alcoholic bottles to pop so Moeen Ali and Rashid can join in?

Fantastic by England!

phelans shorts

I know is a moot point but surely they could use non-alcoholic bottles to pop so Moeen Ali and Rashid can join in?

Fantastic by England!
To be honest I don’t get the spraying booze around thing at the best of times. I’m just glad they at least have the decency to allow those who don’t participate to leave after them (rightly) being front and centre for the presentations

Dr. StrangeHate

Thought Butter did really well in the early spell to get runs on board quickly when others were struggling. Set the tone.

If I remember he also had an excellent IPL season also? If there was a ballan d'Or for cricket surely he'd be up there for a shout.
Can't think of anyone more deserving.

shamans

One good thing about us is that we're still a very young team.

Shaheen, Naseem, Shadab, Haris, Wasim Jnr are all in their early 20's while Babar, Rauf, Rizwan, Nawaz are under 30. Definitely can build on and try to go one better the next try.
Harris is 29 on paper so probably 31 or so. I reckon he has 2-3 years tops but you are right it's a young team and the pipeline for fast bowling talent is there.

I think Pakistan need one ballsy batsman somewhere there. Someone who can take on bowlers. That would really tip the scale

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Can't believe people were questioning Stokes' selection. Phenomenal player who gets into any side in the world, in any format.
I would do all I could to persuade him to keep the ODI World Cup free. He is just a clutch player

shamans

Yea easy to say with hindsight but as @2mufc0 is saying - you play to the context you’re in as well. Assess the situation and whatnot.

For me, 4 out of 5 of our bowlers were on the money - Wasim was diabolical with the bat and ball. Afridi going off as well was a huge huge moment. Iftikhar went for 12/13 runs off his 5 deliveries.
Very harsh to say diabolical for wasim.

He has a role to play in the team but he can't play it if the batting lineup does so bad.

He's a middle overs bowler who can then finish it up with tight bowling in the end.

Problem is he had no runs to defend and had to bowl aggressive to pick wickets. In the process he leaked runs and at times lost his line.

He's not really an all-rounder right now so wouldn't look much into his batting performance.

AshRK

But that's one Euros.

England winning it this year seems fair enough to me but I have to say since 2007 India, Pakistan, West India and Sri Lanka have all won it without being the best side in my opinion.

That said the future will be T20. ODIs seem too long now.

Shame about today's injury to Afridi think we could have had a real game if he bowled that over.

As often with Pakistan, poor batting but Brilliant bowling.

England, particularly this English side has deserve it. They've almost redefined LOI in the past decade. This team deserves to be remembered as champions..
T20 and luck go hand in hand though. Everyteam can have their fortunes. Like England lost to Ireland and their next game was against Australia which got washed out. Probably they lose that and would have been knocked out in GS itself. Same Pak were fortunate SA lost to Netherlands of all the side and reached sf. India were fortunate Kohli played a blinder against PAk or they would have lost.

T20 is a game of small margins anyways and hence one can't just say x were the best side or y were better.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Big shout out to the Pakistan bowlers who carried the team in most games. However, overall, England has been the best team in the tournament and deserved to win the WC.

Massive credit goes to all Sub-Continent fans who injected fun and lit up the tournament.

Trequarista10

I would do all I could to persuade him to keep the ODI World Cup free. He is just a clutch player
I think he's best when he's able to contribute with the ball as well, so I'm happy for him to play less if it allows him to rest up and bowl more when he does play. He's not an exceptional bowler but capable of doing a job which gives the side so much balance.

Sam Curran also looks phenomenal now which is a massive boost looking ahead a few years post-Stokes, but there's an opportunity now for Curran to maybe move up the batting order a bit in ODIs in Stokes' absence.

Harder to replace Stokes' mentality though. He is the man for the big occasion.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Don't know what hurts more, this match or the semi final last year.

Last year the match was in our hand and we, literally with the drop, let it slip. This year we did everything we could've and on another day won the title.
Last year Pakistan were comfortably the best team at the tournament and best team for 98 % of the semi until that inexusable drop. That trophy was there for the taking.

This year Pak were down and out after two games and really had no right to get out of the group never mind making the final, were underdogs before the final and weren't at any point in the final ahead of the game. Last year was a million times worse.

shamans

I think you're letting the batsmen off the hook, some of the shots were really poor, some absolutely nothing shots giving catching practice. They knew the wicket was a difficult one so should have set on knocking it around and getting to a safe 150-160.
This is hindsight and that's just what cricket is.

At that stage you had to hit. The stage was set. The Pakistani batsmen just couldn't hit the right shots. English bowling prevailed.

In the end it was good bowling by England than just stupid shots. You cant look at a game retroactively and think just taking 2s would be enough. You have to back yourself. One or two more boundaries and it would have worked..

Chief123

To be honest I don’t get the spraying booze around thing at the best of times. I’m just glad they at least have the decency to allow those who don’t participate to leave after them (rightly) being front and centre for the presentations
Yeah it is nice that they respect the fact they need to let them move away before popping them but it also feels a bit alienating not having them a part of it. Surely getting non-alcoholic bottles solves the problem. Idk, it just feels weird having two of your best players stood to the side watching the celebrations.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
What a win and what an incredible team. Well deserved for the brand of cricket we have played. Love how much this team loves Morgan as well. He left when he knew that he couldn’t contribute and apart from Hales every single player genuinely loves him

shamans

T20 and luck go hand in hand though. Everyteam can have their fortunes. Like England lost to Ireland and their next game was against Australia which got washed out. Probably they lose that and would have been knocked out in GS itself. Same Pak were fortunate SA lost to Netherlands of all the side and reached sf. India were fortunate Kohli played a blinder against PAk or they would have lost.

T20 is a game of small margins anyways and hence one can't just say x were the best side or y were better.
Well that's my point. For a sport that has a good element of luck T20 really does magnify that.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Good stuff from England. Testament to their strength in depth and approach to the game that they won with what is probably their weakest side in the last 6 years.

shamans

Last year Pakistan were comfortably the best team at the tournament and best team for 98 % of the semi until that inexusable drop. That trophy was there for the taking.

This year Pak were down and out after two games and really had no right to get out of the group never mind making the final, were underdogs before the final and weren't at any point in the final ahead of the game. Last year was a million times worse.
Also, for any subcontinent team to get to the final in Aussie conditions is no small feat.

Chief123

Turned out to be a fantastic final in the end.

My god can you imagine a team with Englands batting and Pakistan’s bowling. Phenomenal talents on both sides.

Dan_F

Yeah it is nice that they respect the fact they need to let them move away before popping them but it also feels a bit alienating not having them a part of it. Surely getting non-alcoholic bottles solves the problem. Idk, it just feels weird having two of your best players stood to the side watching the celebrations.
It came up in county cricket a few years back and I thought switching to non alcoholic was the obvious solution. It seems like the Muslim players are fine with them being allowed to get out of the way first, but it doesn’t seem like the most inclusive solution.

I’m sure those discussions must have taken place internally.

AshRK

England in LOI play right brand of cricket and hence they are winning it. Other teams should folllow this suite. Well played to them.

Sultan

I think you're letting the batsmen off the hook, some of the shots were really poor, some absolutely nothing shots giving catching practice. They knew the wicket was a difficult one so should have set on knocking it around and getting to a safe 150-160.
Easy to criticise those playing fearless cricket. It's a game of small margins. I can understand your argument if it's a Test Match or to an extent 50 over cricket when playing percentage cricket is vital.

phelans shorts

I agree entirely. I’d personally just say stop spraying in general but tradition is what it is, particularly in a sport like cricket.

TheGame

Well done England, thought we were heading for another disappointment after the Rugby League team lost but they pulled it out of the bag. Well done Pakistan as well, bowled really well and were unlucky with the Shaheen injury.

shamans

England in LOI play right brand of cricket and hence they are winning it. Other teams should folllow this suite. Well played to them.
I don't think it's as simple as a decision to just follow their brand. They have the batsmen to do it.

No other team has the batting talent really

shamans

Easy to criticise those playing fearless cricket. It's a game of small margins. I can understand your argument if it's a Test Match or to an extent 50 over cricket when playing percentage cricket is vital.
Exactly. It was the right thought. English just bowled well especially Curran. The better side won

Skills

Snitch
Pakistan were 30 short. But bowling they were fantastic. They beat the edge so many times.
People are reading way too much into those. Only Shaheen bowled the right length to actually trouble England.

Naseem was too short, and on a dicy pitch they'll look good going past the bat. But they weren't threatening balls - especially if England played more decisively against them.

Sultan

India and Australia both have the batting talent. India though go too hesitant in the power plays..
The Indian openers now need to pass on the batten to younger talent. Older players overthink the game with experience and are looking after their legacy which the 20-over format does not allow time.