ICC T20 World Cup 2022

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
People are reading way too much into those. Only Shaheen bowled the right length to actually trouble England.

Naseem was too short, and on a dicy pitch they'll look good going past the bat. But they weren't threatening balls - especially if England played more decisively against them.
Personally, how Naseem Shah ended up with 30 odd runs off the 4 overs he bowled with no wickets is one of the sporting tragedies of this year. He bowled sensationally well i thought.

Some downright ridiculous posts by strangehate and you tbf.

Great final and England deserved champions. Even if they rode their luck a little bit today, the brand of cricket they play and the attitude they show on the pitch is superb..

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
People are reading way too much into those. Only Shaheen bowled the right length to actually trouble England.

Naseem was too short, and on a dicy pitch they'll look good going past the bat. But they weren't threatening balls - especially if England played more decisively against them.
To be fair, Stokes was very fortunate to survive edging the ball with quite a number of deliveries. Anyway, I'm not sure there's much discussion to be had about Pakistan's bowling prowess against England's batting strength.

Skills

Snitch
This England team pretty much looks tailor made to win a world cup in India next year.

Rashid, Ali & Livingstone backing up the fast bowlers and the big hitters on Indian pitches is scary. I'd bring Root in at 3 though

the_cliff

Credit to Morgan, completely changed our cricket. Knew he wasn't good enough anymore to take the team forward and stepped down at the perfect time.

AshRK

I don't think it's as simple as a decision to just follow their brand. They have the batsmen to do it.

No other team has the batting talent really
India defenitely has but they don't pick the right players. I also think Rahul can be aggressive but he just chose not to and plays for himself.

AshRK

This England team pretty much looks tailor made to win a world cup in India next year.

Rashid, Ali & Livingstone backing up the fast bowlers and the big hitters on Indian pitches is scary. I'd bring Root in at 3 though
Yes, they are the favorites.

Chief123

England in LOI play right brand of cricket and hence they are winning it. Other teams should folllow this suite. Well played to them.
It is certainly the brand of cricket every team wants to play. Going hard in the power plays especially. The problem is it’s easier said than done. You can only consistently go hard in the power plays if you have a strong batting lineup that can bat down to number 8/9. You can afford to lose 2/3 wickets in the PP every match then. It’s not just about batting deep either. It’s about having batsmen who can stick around as well as go hard when required. England have exactly that. Players who can be pinch hitters as well as go big.

But when your openers are your best batsmen and you have a soft middle, it’s not something you can implement consistently.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Very harsh to say diabolical for wasim.

He has a role to play in the team but he can't play it if the batting lineup does so bad.

He's a middle overs bowler who can then finish it up with tight bowling in the end.

Problem is he had no runs to defend and had to bowl aggressive to pick wickets. In the process he leaked runs and at times lost his line.

He's not really an all-rounder right now so wouldn't look much into his batting performance.
His line was all over the place from the first delivery. The score was low so everyone needed to be on it from the first delivery. There’s a bit step down in quality from Shaheen, Haris and Naseem to him.

He’s been so woeful with the bat as well. The only batsmen in our 11 with a SR under 100. He’s just not good enough right now.

The Corinthian

Credit to England though - they’ve really worked hard on getting their white ball cricket right. It has come at the expense of the test side though.

Swedish_Plumber

The Indian openers now need to pass on the batten to younger talent. Older players overthink the game with experience and are looking after their legacy which the 20-over format does not allow time.
Exactly! See what Morgan did. No mean feat realising you’ve lost that edge and letting others take on your mantle. Better India do it now than wait longer and fall further behind.

Skills

Snitch
Could say Bairstow, Wood and Archer would get into this team as well.
Would say Bairstow and Roys injuries were a blessing. They weren't trying to squeeze him into the team in the wrong position.

PoTMS

Credit to England though - they’ve really worked hard on getting their white ball cricket right. It has come at the expense of the test side though.
Maybe a unpopular opinion but I would gladly sacrifice that for being so dominant in both shorter formats. I would not swap either of our recent World Cup wins over an Ashes series win down under, for example.

The Corinthian

Maybe a unpopular opinion but I would gladly sacrifice that for being so dominant in both shorter formats. I would not swap either of our recent World Cup wins over an Ashes series win down under, for example.
It depends what side of the argument you fall on - some cricket fans rank test side quality as the highest / truest mark.

It’ll be interesting if a team can dominate both white and red ball like the Aussies did in the 90s and mid 00s.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It depends what side of the argument you fall on - some cricket fans rank test side quality as the highest / truest mark.

It’ll be interesting if a team can dominate both white and red ball like the Aussies did in the 90s and mid 00s.
England have been good in red ball cricket lately though, taking that aggressive batting into this format with Bazzball.

Fully Fledged

I don't think there is the player base to dominate both.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

Naseem beat the bat by a whisker 10 balls straight it was brilliant bowling. I don't think it's being read into at all.

shamans

India and Australia both have the batting talent. India though go too hesitant in the power plays..
They have the talent but not English batting talent.

The other teams are no mugs if they could do what the English can they'd do it. They know they can get bundled out for less so have to be cautious

England bat till 11th ffs!

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
What would change about our t20 team @shamans @The Corinthian ?

A lot of talk of breaking up the opening partnership but I wouldn't do it now, when they're in form they are perfectly good. Few opening batsman were comfortable in this tournament so I wouldn't hold their performances much against them.

Khushdil and Asif are definitely gone, the management didn't have any confidence in them, Fakhar would come in and maybe someone from the domestic circuit (Tayyab Tahir, Saim Ayub).

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I'm leathered lads and about to go unto the Utd end at Fulham but champions oi oi

TheGame

They have the talent but not English batting talent.

The other teams are no mugs if they could do what the English can they'd do it. They know they can get bundled out for less so have to be cautious

England bat till 11th ffs!
They only bat till 11 with this lineup. Normally Wood would be in the line up and perhaps someone like Topley then it just becomes a usual batting lineup with a little depth. You are not telling me with all the IPL talent, India can't muster an agressive batting lineup? You could end up with Jadeja at 8 in a decent lineup. It seems more politics at play rather than anything else there. England also have their weaknesses with their ability to lose quick wickets.

dbs235

Root will be in, he plays ODIs just not T20.

zing

Zingle balls
Congrats to all English fans here. Pretty incredible to be the defending champions in both formats.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I was unsure if Stokes warranted a place and have been overly critical at times but again he’s proved that he’s the man you want when the pressure is on. Contrast Brook who you could tell really felt the pressure (who I rate and I think with experience will be quality at this level), to Stokes who digs in, smiles and seems to revel in the challenge. Not sure you’d want many others there.

Fair play to Pakistan, batting came up a little short but they’re a class act, fantastic bowling and the fans have been gracious and a credit during my reading online. Great hosts in the tour pre tournament and looking forward to playing them again. Really likeable team.

sport2793

They only bat till 11 with this lineup. Normally Wood would be in the line up and perhaps someone like Topley then it just becomes a usual batting lineup with a little depth. You are not telling me with all the IPL talent, India can't muster an agressive batting lineup? You could end up with Jadeja at 8 in a decent lineup. It seems more politics at play rather than anything else there. England also have their weaknesses with their ability to lose quick wickets.
India can definitely muster an aggressive batting lineup but Indian fans tend not to be objective about their own team + selectors are terrible and won't select the right players for T20 who consistently display high SR (Shaw, Samson, Kishan etc.).

The bigger short term adjustment though will be with bowling. Will need Bumrah back and will need to develop other up and coming fast bowlers like Umran Malik who showed promise during the IPL but was a bit hit or miss in his initial international matches due to inexperience.

shamans

A lot of talk of breaking up the opening partnership but I wouldn't do it now, when they're in form they are perfectly good. Few opening batsman were comfortable in this tournament so I wouldn't hold their performances much against them.

Khushdil and Asif are definitely gone, the management didn't have any confidence in them, Fakhar would come in and maybe someone from the domestic circuit (Tayyab Tahir, Saim Ayub).
The core of this team has to stay really. I would swap in a spinner for a pacer on subcontinent tracks maybe.

I don't know about breaking the opening partnership. Hard to say. It does seem like one ballsy batsman somewhere in there could really help.

I honestly wouldn't change much.

shamans

India can muster an aggressive lineup. I'm not saying they can't but I'm talking about proper 360 aggressive cricket.

The IPL is not Australian conditions and they don't face international bowlers all the time.

From the Indian lineup I would say Surya Kumar Yadav is the type of player that I'm talking about. Can hit it anywhere. Pandaya has some devastating aggression as well.

Kohli is a little different but obviously a generational player so another boost to the batting

The rest? At least from whoever played this world cup they strike me as a little one dimensional even if talented

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I was unsure if Stokes warranted a place and have been overly critical at times but again he’s proved that he’s the man you want when the pressure is on. Contrast Brook who you could tell really felt the pressure (who I rate and I think with experience will be quality at this level), to Stokes who digs in, smiles and seems to revel in the challenge. Not sure you’d want many others there.

Fair play to Pakistan, batting came up a little short but they’re a class act, fantastic bowling and the fans have been gracious and a credit during my reading online. Great hosts in the tour pre tournament and looking forward to playing them again. Really likeable team.
Agreed regarding Stokes. He pulls it off time and time again when the pressure is at its highest in the biggest situations. Without him we'd be -2 world cups.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Karma :lol: You'd think a 10 wicket humiliation where you were made to look like a chubby Sunday league bowler and fielder would humble you up a bit but not this guy.

The Corinthian

I can see the logic in dropping Babar to 3rd and 4th and having another power hitter opening with Rizwan, but I’m not sure I’m fully behind.

Being brutally honest, the core of this team is excellent. We were the best team in the 2021 T20, and really should have won the whole tournament (dropped catch in the SF killed us). We should have won the Asia Cup earlier in the year, and if Shaheen was fully fit (he wasn’t 100% at the start of the tournament either) we could have won this edition too.

I think the middle order lacks that level headed all rounder that we used to have in Shoaib Malik or Mo Hafeez. Someone that can come in keep the score tight when bowling but can also get a good 20/25 off 10-12 balls. I’m not a fan of Muhammad Wasim personally - he’s just not good enough right now.

Also I was surprised Nawaz wasn’t bowled ahead of Iftikhar when Shaheen went off.

So what I’m trying to say in a non-rambly way is that I think we lack a bit of experience and level headedness in that middle order. Obviously this experience only comes with time and getting more matches under your belt. I do think Nawaz can eventually full that role for the team as he’s done well domestically.

I’d also replace Muhammad Wasim but not sure who - 4 out of 5 of our bowling attack is on the money game in game out. Wasim let’s the unit down.