ICC World T20 2016

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
What I meant is he only gets sympathy from the abuse when he can deliver upon his bravado. He can be whetever he likes to be, but yesterday he was all mouth and no actions.

For a supposed world class professional Cricketer who should be able to execute what his brain intendo, his last over was bordering on incompetent. 4 meat pies for Braithwaite to talk into. Of course there was skill from the batsman, but Stokes balls allowed the shots to be possible.

Had he been a more humble man, he would give getting more sympathy now.
Cricketers have good days and bad days. He has won many matches for England and he lost one yesterday. It happened to be the final of a World cup, but still you have to feel for him.

I'm pretty sure he would rather win the match than have the sympathy for being humble. I get the feeling that somehow because Stokes is a brash cricketer, he deserves more shit thrown his way? I don't agree. Let's move on as we'll argue about this all day.

TheGame

Correct you don't, however, you do get smashed for 4 consecutive sixes though.
Basically you can't answer the question and reveal you some axe to grind against Stokes. Funny how the majority of the WIndies team have been great in praising England where Samuels has taken the opportunity to have a pop at anyone who has dared to criticise him.

Varun

Staff
Basically you can't answer the question and reveal you some axe to grind against Stokes. Funny how the majority of the WIndies team have been great in praising England where Samuels has taken the opportunity to have a pop at anyone who has dared to criticise him.
Haven't been following the saga but didn't Samuels have a go at Warne because of what Warne said in the first place? Which in itself is due to their clash in the big bash?

Who else did he have a go at?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Cricketers have good days and bad days. He has won many matches for England and he lost one yesterday. It happened to be the final of a World cup, but still you have to feel for him.

I'm pretty sure he would rather win the match than have the sympathy for being humble. I get the feeling that somehow because Stokes is a brash cricketer, he deserves more shit thrown his way? I don't agree. Let's move on as we'll argue about this all day.

No worries. My Last post on subject.

I don't have a strong view on the subject: all I said is that Stokes gives out plenty of sledging and abuse, and has done with Samuels in the past so he should not be surprised, nor do I have any sympathy for him, when he gets it back.

Anyways, as a cricket fan, of course I hope he bounces back from this and the Stokes/Samuels rivalry spices up future games between these 2 teams.

SammyUnited_83

Huh.

I answered the question. Sledging in cricket, ultimately winds up your opponent, some players shrink under that tactic and some people think 'I'll show you' - if I'm not mistaken he got smashed, put himself under too much pressure and choked.

Samuels has taken a pop at the appropriate people, if you are getting a load of stick, the perfect response is to win and give it back.

SammyUnited_83

Haven't been following the saga but didn't Samuels have a go at Warne because of what Warne said in the first place? Which in itself is due to their clash in the big bash?

Who else did he have a go at?
Just Warne and Stokes I believe, 2 guys that gave it out, and got it back.

NinjaFletch

Marlon Samuels is a far bigger cock than Ben Stokes, its not even close.

Lets not forget Marlon Samuels has been banned for a year for his off-field behaviour. He's always been one to dish it out, but he's petty and vindictive, which for all his faults, Ben Stokes isn't.

Yeah Ben Stokes sledges but, unlike Marlon Samuels, he's the first to congratulate an opposition too. The Temba Bavuma video was posted up here earlier, but Ben Stokes was the first person to go up to him and shake his hand for that knock.

I really don't mind Stoke's attitude too much, when he goes out to the field, like the Aussies, he goes to war. After the battle, you shake hands, have a beer and are mates. I'd rather no one sledged, but its far better to be like that than constantly dragging feuds out. The last thing on Stoke's mind if England had won would have been to taunt Marlon Samuels.

fishfingers15

Marlon Samuels is a far bigger cock than Ben Stokes, its not even close.

Lets not forget Marlon Samuels has been banned for a year for his off-field behaviour. He's always been one to dish it out, but he's petty and vindictive, which for all his faults, Ben Stokes isn't.

Yeah Ben Stokes sledges but, unlike Marlon Samuels, he's the first to congratulate an opposition too. The Temba Bavuma video was posted up here earlier, but Ben Stokes was the first person to go up to him and shake his hand for that knock.

I really don't mind Stoke's attitude too much, when he goes out to the field, like the Aussies, he goes to war. After the battle, you shake hands, have a beer and are mates. I'd rather no one sledged, but its far better to be like that than constantly dragging feuds out. The last thing on Stoke's mind if England had won would have been to taunt Marlon Samuels.
I'm sorry, but I don't agree.

Aussies invented this sledging and they always preface it with 'what happens in the field should be left behind in the field, let's catch a drink and we'll all be friends mate' nonsense. For teams like India who don't engage in sledging, they always found that pretty idiotic. You just spent 8 hours in field calling all names under the sun and now you want to be friends? At least from an Indian perspective, nobody gave it back to them until Dada came along. He got under their skins pretty much every time. He'll turn up late to press conferences, make Waugh wait at the toss. Somehow, that became 'unsporting behavior' and sledging was not. But once Sourav Ganguly got under their skins, and started to give as good as they got, Aussies suddenly didn't like the 'lets have a drink and be mates' bullshit anymore and they pretty much avoided Ganguly ever since. I'll be forever grateful to the contribution of Ganguly.

Once you sledge an opponent, it doesn't make you a 'better sportsman' or a 'bigger man' if you go first and congratulate the winner/loser. feck that shit. If you offend someone, they have the right to get back at you how they think is fair. feck your 'have a beer and be a mate' philosophy, nobody wants to be a 'mate' with Glenn Mcgrath and Shane fecking Warne.

fishfingers15

That said, I have nothing against Ben Stokes. He's a great player and I think he should behave it whatever manner it works for him, just like Samuels who can do what he wants. If it means that he has to pay his fine, let him pay it.

NinjaFletch

I'm sorry, but I don't agree.

Aussies invented this sledging and they always preface it with 'what happens in the field should be left behind in the field, let's catch a drink and we'll all be friends mate' nonsense. For teams like India who don't engage in sledging, they always found that pretty idiotic. You just spent 8 hours in field calling all names under the sun and now you want to be friends? At least from an Indian perspective, nobody gave it back to them until Dada came along. He got under their skins pretty much every time. He'll turn up late to press conferences, make Waugh wait at the toss. Somehow, that became 'unsporting behavior' and sledging was not. But once Sourav Ganguly got under their skins, and started to give as good as they got, Aussies suddenly didn't like the 'lets have a drink and be mates' bullshit anymore and they pretty much avoided Ganguly ever since. I'll be forever grateful to the contribution of Ganguly.

Once you sledge an opponent, it doesn't make you a 'better sportsman' or a 'bigger man' if you go first and congratulate the winner/loser. feck that shit. If you offend someone, they have the right to get back at you how they think is fair. feck your 'have a beer and be a mate' philosophy, nobody wants to be a 'mate' with Glenn Mcgrath and Shane fecking Warne.
Thats not what I'm saying though. I agree with the point (and whisper it but I think theres a racist element to sledging when Australia in particular tour non-white countries) but its only applicable if Ben Stokes did it and Marlon Samuels didn't, then you'd be right. But they both do it, and one of them is able to let it go, congratulate opponents and keep it on the field and the other isn't.

Shane Warne's probably the worse around for carrying on with petty and vindictive shit after the game as finished, but there's a clear difference, for me, between sledging on the pitch, but being respectful off of it, and taking what happens on the pitch off it.

Moby

Dick
Aussies invented this sledging and they always preface it with 'what happens in the field should be left behind in the field, let's catch a drink and we'll all be friends mate' nonsense. For teams like India who don't engage in sledging, they always found that pretty idiotic. You just spent 8 hours in field calling all names under the sun and now you want to be friends?
Typical 'sensitive Indian' attitude. Get offended by everything under the sun. Someone called you a son of a bitch, so fecking what? Stop taking it personally when it's not meant to be, or else call for a 'sledging ban' like the beef ban.

If you offend someone
The problem right there, in what universe is sledging supposed to be offensive? Touchy.

fishfingers15

Typical 'sensitive Indian' attitude. Get offended by everything under the sun. Someone called you a son of a bitch, so fecking what? Stop taking it personally when it's not meant to be, or else call for a 'sledging ban' like the beef ban.

The problem right there, in what universe is sledging supposed to be offensive? Touchy.
Wut? I'll get offended if anyone calls me a 'Son of a bitch'. So should you. It's not 'Indian mentality', no one should call you a 'son of a bitch'.

fishfingers15

Thats not what I'm saying though. I agree with the point (and whisper it but I think theres a racist element to sledging when Australia in particular tour non-white countries) but its only applicable if Ben Stokes did it and Marlon Samuels didn't, then you'd be right. But they both do it, and one of them is able to let it go, congratulate opponents and keep it on the field and the other isn't.

Shane Warne's probably the worse around for carrying on with petty and vindictive shit after the game as finished, but there's a clear difference, for me, between sledging on the pitch, but being respectful off of it, and taking what happens on the pitch off it.
I definitely agree with you that if Samuels engages in sleding, he loses the moral authority. If I'm not wrong, Marlon Samuels had a reputation as a quiet cricketer and apparently only opens his gob to a few players, with whom he has a running feud. I'm happy to be corrected on this.

Sledging on the pitch and being respectful off it is perfectly fine, as long as nobody expects the respect in return.

NinjaFletch

I definitely agree with you that if Samuels engages in sleding, he loses the moral authority. If I'm not wrong, Marlon Samuels had a reputation as a quiet cricketer and apparently only opens his gob to a few players, with whom he has a running feud. I'm happy to be corrected on this.

Sledging on the pitch and being respectful off it is perfectly fine, as long as nobody expects the respect in return.
Samuels always seems to be involved in it, maybe he only gives back what he gets, but there's far too much smoke for there not to be any fire with him for me.

And yeah, thats the thing. You can't really be angry if players don't like being sledged and take it personally (and something the Aussies in particular don't get). But there's definitely something to be said for two players who do it, one who leaves it on the pitch and one who doesn't.

fishfingers15

Samuels always seems to be involved in it, maybe he only gives back what he gets, but there's far too much smoke for there not to be any fire with him for me.

And yeah, thats the thing. You can't really be angry if players don't like being sledged and take it personally (and something the Aussies in particular don't get). But there's definitely something to be said for two players who do it, one who leaves it on the pitch and one who doesn't.
Agreed.