ICE are the 21st century Gestapo

SteveW

From day one of his Presidency, they've been emboldened by Trump.
This has been going on for long before Trump. Sadly the media and politicians only started pretending to care when they realised it could be used against him.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Where my parents or grandparents come from it's irrelevant to the topic at hand, but since you asked all 3 of my grandparents were partisans in WW2. One of them was captured near Višegrad and sent to Mauthausen in 1943 and survived. The other was wounded and lost 2 fingers and mobility on his right hand courtesy of an SS bullet in former Yugoslavia. Oh and the wounded grandpa also spent 26 months in a gulag (aka "re-education") for questioning the abuses his former mates were perpetrating once they came into power having rebranded from partisans into central committee members.

Have I met ICE? Yes, many fecking times. I came to the US in 94 as a HS student, went to college, worked in Silicon Valley for a few years, went back to Italy (where my parents lived and currently still are), got a graduate degree worked in finance for 15 years... and became a US citizen after 22 years LEGALLY in the country and not having as muchas speeding ticket on my record. This is the Immigration route if you play by the rules in the US - it's a long, burdensome, bureaucratic at times insulting process. You deal with assholes and incompetents of all creeds, religions and races from the INS, the USCIS, ICE, CBP and whatever other acronym is out there, I have seen them all. I also have seen the shortcuts, or how to game the system (marriage seems to be the shortest route, though political persecution is also a pretty standard one), but that's for another conversation.

So you know nothing about me or my background, but you still felt the need to stick your beak and draw conclusions from your ass. Now let's get back to the topic at hand:

I think Henry is an upstanding human being apart from killing a couple of people, snitching and being in a violent gang both El-Salvador and in the US. Pretty standard youth stuff really. Maybe he wouldn't have snitched if the offer of immunity wasn't on the table, but the article seems to infer that the cop was never in a position to offer immunity in the first place (Judge Mulligan criticized Detective Rivera for “mistakenly” assuring Henry that he would help him. “This was poor police work and misled” Henry, he wrote).

So in conclusion, life has not been fair to Henry; seems like his own parents abandoned him, he was raised by his grandma, then recruited by MS-13, and then he made some terrible choices like killing people and probably abusing and beating up others. So, even if we take at face value what he says is 100% true and that he was completely forced into all of this (which I seriously doubt), the fact of the matter is USA doesn't own him shit, simple as that.

PS:
>Are you cool with a guy that has a few Russian wives?
This is a really stupid question - everyone knows that Russian wives are fast depreciating assets that are best short term leased not outright bought.
Is completely relevant.

Billy Blaggs

What in your mind is legal?

A boat that your family came in and signed papers?

To whom?

Some white man asking for an x?

Is that freedom?

Did you dad, granddad , great granddad or great granddad hunt buffalo?

I came here to find a better future. And unless you have any claims to native America then feck off.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If ever the phrase, "this is exactly how Nazi Germany started" was applicable...
This would not be it, because this isn’t how Nazi germany started.

Something similar happened *during* the Nazi regime, but this isn’t how Nazi Germany started no.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm reminded of the outro to Blu & Excile's track "Greater Love"

Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolfman
The Invisible Man and Hercules don't scare me
The FBI, Anti-American Committee, J. Edgar Hoover, President Nixon
President Johnson, Martha Mitchell
And her husband or her man or her woman Ethel
Kennedy, all the Kennedys
Bank of America, Chase Manhattan Rockefeller
None of these people scare me
What scares me is that one day my son will ask me
What did you do Daddy when the shit was goin' down
@adexkola

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm still baffled as to how his career has gone after that album.
Give Me My Flowers was ok but yea I've been massively disappointed with his other work after what is one of the best albums ever.

I do keep thinking of the above outro when I hear about life in Trump's America though.

Nucks

RT History Department
Surely you can see the difference between assassinating your political opponents and rounding up and impounding people who you find undesirable. It's not the treatment of other party members that I was referring to but how both governments treated the people that they didn't want in their country.

In the case of the Nazi party Jews, Gypsies, Slavs, Soviets and Homosexuals among others. In regard to Trump's government Illegal Immigrants.

Many countries throughout history executed political opponents that used to be quite normal in previous centuries. It's not okay but it happened. It doesn't make Nazi Germany stand out as the monsters they were though. That came later.

I have no problem with arresting and detaining people who come into your country illegally until they can be tried but make their detainment humane and get a boatload of judges to expedite their cases.

People being caged with not enough room to sleep and no hygiene or sanitation is inhumane. To say that it is on a par with how the Nazi's treated their undesirables before they started to kill them in the 1940's is a position that can be argued. I know that it might be a stretch, mainly because we don't know the worst of what is happening in these camps.

Even if it isn't true, 'America at least we're as bad as Nazi Germany' is surely not the advert that you want for your country.
The point is, words have meaning. Equating the concentration camps along the border right now, to the concentration camps in Nazi Germany in 1933, is silly. There is no equivalence. Yes, some immigrants have died as a result of neglect and terrible conditions, however, they are not being taken to concrete rooms with a drain in the middle of the floor, or (presumably) a field to dig their own graves, and then shot behind the ear. THAT was what was happening in 1933-1934 for political prisoners in Germany. Later it escalated to full on genocide.

The issue here is, people are ignorant, from a historical perspective. They are pushing a narrative of "Oh, this is just like what the Nazis did when they first came to power, except its immigrants instead of political prisoners!". Yea, just like it, except for the legalized executions for looking at the camp commandant wrong. This argument, is founded on historical ignorance. Germany also had a state apparatus that was silencing dissent in the media, and by silencing, I mean killing them.

Yes, they are both examples of concentration camps, the difference is, in ICE camps, you might die from neglect. In Nazi camps in 1933 or 1934, you might die from neglect, but you also might be executed summarily or a multitude of other reasons.

Silva

The point is, words have meaning. Equating the concentration camps along the border right now, to the concentration camps in Nazi Germany in 1933, is silly. There is no equivalence. Yes, some immigrants have died as a result of neglect and terrible conditions, however, they are not being taken to concrete rooms with a drain in the middle of the floor, or (presumably) a field to dig their own graves, and then shot behind the ear. THAT was what was happening in 1933-1934 for political prisoners in Germany. Later it escalated to full on genocide.

The issue here is, people are ignorant, from a historical perspective. They are pushing a narrative of "Oh, this is just like what the Nazis did when they first came to power, except its immigrants instead of political prisoners!". Yea, just like it, except for the legalized executions for looking at the camp commandant wrong. This argument, is founded on historical ignorance. Germany also had a state apparatus that was silencing dissent in the media, and by silencing, I mean killing them.

Yes, they are both examples of concentration camps, the difference is, in ICE camps, you might die from neglect. In Nazi camps in 1933 or 1934, you might die from neglect, but you also might be executed summarily or a multitude of other reasons.
yeah we should wait until they're performing mass executions before we say anything too mean

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

:wenger:

Cloud7

Surely the fact that you need to go into such depth to try to differentiate between the Nazi camps and the ICE camps, in itself, does that not make you worry or think that something is very very wrong here?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
ICE are the 21st century Gestapo is propaganda by those who openly state we want to open the borders. It's fairly simple. So the question is, what changed? Because protecting your nation, used to be a good thing didn't it? When did the idea of open borders become acceptable? Perhaps the answer is to analyse the reason for war, it's purpose....rather then to succumb to something so blatant. People need to ask what changed and they need to pay attention to how the conversation got from common sense to what it is now. Associating the idea of nation to Nazi is an angle that's been pushed deliberately. T So people should ask themselves, why that is. They also use the children a fair bit, because the children are the future. At soon younger. More vaccinations. Is it really random? They use the separation of family as a slur to say it's inhuman but is it always so innocent? So Naïve?

If people have forgotten that people went to war to protect nations and that it's ok then how is it now that concept makes someone a Nazi?...It's a funny old world ain't it. So ice as a concept, an idea are their to get rid of people illegally in the nation and I don't see how anyone can dispute that but what is happening is you get specific stories come out - that slur Ice and the what their role is

Last edited:

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
You see all those terrifying news stories every day on Fox - about how blacks and browns and immigrants are committing the most heinous of criminal acts. Maybe look there for your slurs instead of the folk pointing to the clearly inhumane facilities you crazily claim are the only alternative to open borders.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
ICE are the 21st century Gestapo is propaganda by those who openly state we want to open the borders. It's fairly simple. So the question is, what changed? Because protecting your nation, used to be a good thing didn't it? When did the idea of open borders become acceptable? Perhaps the answer is to analyse the reason for war, it's purpose....rather then to succumb to something so blatant. People need to ask what changed and they need to pay attention to how the conversation got from common sense to what it is now. Associating the idea of nation to Nazi is an angle that's been pushed deliberately. T So people should ask themselves, why that is. They also use the children a fair bit, because the children are the future. At soon younger. More vaccinations. Is it really random? They use the separation of family as a slur to say it's inhuman but is it always so innocent? So Naïve?

If people have forgotten that people went to war to protect nations and that it's ok then how is it now that concept makes someone a Nazi?...It's a funny old world ain't it. So ice as a concept, an idea are their to get rid of people illegally in the nation and I don't see how anyone can dispute that but what is happening is you get specific stories come out - that slur Ice and the what their role is

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Because protecting your nation, used to be a good thing didn't it?
How does keeping people in cages, treating children like crap and calling asylum seekers rapists help protect the nation?

C'mon man you see all these stories about abuse, guards blackmailing women, beating people, rapes, the inhumane conditions all around. You don't have to believe they're nazis to see this is pretty disturbing and deserving of unconditional condemnation.

NM

The irony of an American (if that's what you are) saying this is hilarious. A nation that doesn't know its own history, and I live here.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

If the distinction you have to point out is as far down the road as the killing part (which granted is a very important difference) when comparing a 21st century institution to a system that was based and organized on the belief that those imprisoned were subhuman vermin, then the concentration camp comparison might not be such an ill fit after all.

I mean obviously it's not going to follow a carbon copy of the 1930s, but there are certain parallels and if something like that were ever to happen in modern day western society this would be a very good way of starting it.

Last edited:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Orange is the New Black's final season does a pretty good job of reimagining what it's like for people trapped in the current camps and their situations I feel based on what we've heard.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The craven, opportunistic timing of this raid... despicable.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

So it's retaliation by emplyers. I hope they die.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Bears repeating:
The children, some toddlers, of apprehended migrants were taken to makeshift shelters, the Guardian’s Edward Helmore reports.

Local reporters say that despite immigration authorities’ reassurances that all the children were being cared for, some were left behind with nowhere to go.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero

:lol: this one's escaped the loony bins

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
And unless you have any claims to native America then feck off.
Does an indigenous Argentinian Grandma count?

On a serious note I've just seen the story of Jimmy Aldaoud, how can this be right? He is of Iraqi origin, is a Chaldean Christian (a minority persecuted in Iraq) was born in Greece, moved the the States at 6 months old, has never been to Iraq, has no family or contacts there and speaks no Arabic - he was deported back to Iraq as (yes he did have a criminal record) where he slept on the streets and finally died as he had no access to insulin.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jimmy-aldaoud-iraq-deported_n_5d4c1a23e4b01e44e4763b69

Surely this is wrong.

Billy Blaggs

On a serious note I've just seen the story of Jimmy Aldaoud, how can this be right? He is of Iraqi origin, is a Chaldean Christian (a minority persecuted in Iraq) was born in Greece, moved the the States at 6 months old, has never been to Iraq, has no family or contacts there and speaks no Arabic - he was deported back to Iraq as (yes he did have a criminal record) where he slept on the streets and finally died as he had no access to insulin.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jimmy-aldaoud-iraq-deported_n_5d4c1a23e4b01e44e4763b69

Surely this is wrong.
fecking hell.

Come to my house you have a vote here.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
(thread)

scum.

yeah but equally

One woman who said she was a lead worker at the Koch Foods plant told a local television station, WAPT, that ICE agents had come into the building and ordered employees to line up and walk outside.

“That’s all our workers — half of the plant!” she said of the detained workers.
If 50% of your workforce are being employed illegally then lets be honest the management of that company should be in trouble as well as it seems more than accidental

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Surely this is wrong.
you would think that, but then you don't see the full picture

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Just saw a pastor on TV comparing ICE to the gestapo, maybe he reads the caf.