ICE are the 21st century Gestapo

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
you would think that, but then you don't see the full picture

I knew he wasn’t the nicest guy. The home invasion was breaking into someone’s garage apparently to steal power tools, he’d been convicted of domestic violence and then when he thought he was going to deported he fled from ICE and cut off his ankle GPS thingy and got caught again because he nicked a car. It’s why I said I. The original post he had a criminal record.

But surely for that you put someone in jail, rather than force him to go to a country where he knows no one, doesn’t speak the language and is at risk because of his religion. Seems a bit over the top to me.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I knew he wasn’t the nicest guy. The home invasion was breaking into someone’s garage apparently to steal power tools, he’d been convicted of domestic violence and then when he thought he was going to deported he fled from ICE and cut off his ankle GPS thingy and got caught again because he nicked a car. It’s why I said I. The original post he had a criminal record.

But surely for that you put someone in jail, rather than force him to go to a country where he knows no one, doesn’t speak the language and is at risk because of his religion. Seems a bit over the top to me.
You need to be more careful to stick to the rules when you're a migrants as opposed to when you're a local. Its similar to when you're in someone else's house as opposed to being in your own home. I know cause I was a migrant myself

Last edited:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
One of the lads that I knew in Boston got deported.
Same thing, he didn't keep out of sight of law enforcement.
It's pretty feckin simple really.

Abizzz

One of the lads that I knew in Boston got deported.
Same thing, he didn't keep out of sight of law enforcement.
It's pretty feckin simple really.
Why should some foreign country take care of the US' criminals though? Unless he was a criminal at 4 months old he became one in America, in the US education system, in US society. This is the equivalent of companies using loopholes to shed responsibility.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Them’s the rules and they have been for years.
In the case of the “Iraqi” guy it does seem strange as he wasn’t even born there.
The guy I mentioned was born and raised in Ireland.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Attorneys for the students arrested said they were unfairly trapped by the U.S. government since the Department of Homeland Security had said on its website that the university was legitimate. An accreditation agency that was working with the U.S. on its sting operation also listed the university as legitimate.
:houllier:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It sounds like entrapment and it's fecking scummy but anyone contesting this in court is going to lose because they weren't being entrapped into committing an offence. Everyone's legal status seems to have been in limbo because they weren't enrolled anywhere. I had a friend at University in that situation. He was from the UAE but he got deported a few months after he finished his degree because his student visa had expired.

That said, it's rather terrifying that even people like this are being targeted for enforcement so intricately. It means they are going after absolutely everyone. It's like some kind of sick harvest.

Finally, this good old conservative chestnut was bound to pop up. No surprise it came from the federal prosecutor:

Immigration and visa programs have been hot-button topics in the United States for years and national scrutiny has only been increasing. Fairly or unfairly, Rampeesa’s conduct casts a shadow on the foreign-student visa program in general, and it raises questions as to whether the potential for abuse threatens to outweigh the benefits.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...tion-citizenship-green-cards-face-deportation

interesting case here where the brother of the bangladeshi immigrants is accused of terrorism and now the family could be deported.
Think they’ll have a tough job fighting this if they can’t prove their case. The electrican’s adoption date will be crucial, I’d imagine? Was it before or after the uncle won the visa lottery?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Pretty powerful scene.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
That's pretty good.
Some great replies in there too. Some cringey ones too from the hypocritical "Christians".

Speaking of which; I wonder if Joel Osteen and his like will make such powerful statements?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Don't foreign students pay 2-3 times more there than US students? Can see loads of them deferring if that's the case.

entropy

Really sums up our immigration policy in a nutshell. We just want you for your labor or your money. That's about it. The stress from having to take out massive student loans or the emotional labor of having to uproot your life because you lost a job or visa status, that isn't america's problem.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
It looks like my university was forcing me back to campus to teach anyway, even though I requested remote teaching, so it looks like I"m clear. We have got some clarifications about what the H1-B policy means, (many US postdoc positions are out of the question now), but nothing yet on this.

If I cannot find a postdoc I will be pretty lost after graduating.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Trump administration to deport man to Haiti who has never been there

US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (Ice) is to carry out a final deportation flight of the Trump era on Tuesday, with a plane bound for Haiti whose passengers include a man who is not a Haitian citizen, and who has never been there.
Paul Pierrilus, a 40-year-old financial consultant from Rockland County, New York, was born in the French Caribbean territory of Saint Martin, according to a birth certificate supplied by his family, who said he came to the US with his parents when he was five. His sister and parents are US citizens.
He was picked up on 11 January, as part of what human rights advocates say is a last sweep of black migrants in the final days of the Trump administration. He has told his family he was being transferred to an Ice holding facility in Alexandria, Louisiana, which is a typical precursor to deportation.
“He went there for the appointment and while he was there, he was detained, and he was informed that they have documents stating that he’s a Haitian citizen,” Neomie Pierrilus said.
Neomie Pierrilus supplied copies of emails last year from the then Haitian ambassador, Hervé Denis, confirming that her brother was not a Haitian citizen.

More: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-deport-man-to-haiti-who-has-never-been-there

RedTiger

Half mast

Dr. Dwayne

That was a real shit thing to do with your kids in tow. Especially trying to leave a solid community in Canada.
The were here as tourists. Likely planned ahead to enter the US with some kind of smuggler. In fairness to the parents, coming from India they can't have had any concept of exactly how fecking cold the Canadian prairie gets in January.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The were here as tourists. Likely planned ahead to enter the US with some kind of smuggler. In fairness to the parents, coming from India they can't have had any concept of exactly how fecking cold the Canadian prairie gets in January.
Usually it's the other way round I think: people trying to cross into Canada from the US in that border area. Another family died there just a week or so ago:

https://news.yahoo.com/4-found-dead-blizzard-canada-220744750.html

It's difficult at the best of times because of the empty landscape and nothing to see at night, but right now it's downright life-threateningly dangerous. Why don't they just take the Quebec crossing at Roxham Road!

Dr. Dwayne

Usually it's the other way round I think: people trying to cross into Canada from the US in that border area. Another family died there just a week or so ago:

https://news.yahoo.com/4-found-dead-blizzard-canada-220744750.html

It's difficult at the best of times because of the empty landscape and nothing to see at night, but right now it's downright life-threateningly dangerous. Why don't they just take the Quebec crossing at Roxham Road!
I don't know, really. I mean, there was a surge after Trump did something a few years ago but normally people want Amercia and not America Junior.

Honestly, if I was a smuggler of any kind I would make all my crossings at night in the prairies, just not between December and March.

Dr. Dwayne

Crossing the border this year was easier than ever. The first guy asked me the purpose of my visit and when I told him just passing through on my way to western Canada he said drive safely and let me go. Didn't even ask me to open my back window.

Only a tiny bit more scrutiny on the way back, too.