Idrissa Gueye is one of the signings of the season

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He really has Kante Mk II written all over him - incredible engine, great timing and uses the ball smartly. All that for just £7m too. Gives Everton great balance and helps immensely with their pressing game.

Looks a Mourinho player to me so if he keeps it up this season I wouldn't be surprised to see us try and buy him for 5x that.

Sigma

He was second in interceptions or something after Kante last season

Walters_19_MuFc

He should have replaced Kante instead of Mendy. Leicester were actually linked with him, but I guess it was just speculation.

izec

Wouldnt surprise me if we dont go for him, same was said about Kante and we never tried to get him. Why should we go for this guy

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Would love for us to unearth some hidden gems again. Seems to never happen nowadays.

This guy looked good against Spurs. Not seen any more of him though.

MDFC Manager

There's a whole bunch of midfielders at the club, some of them need to be moved on before there can additions.

AgentP

I feel the main reason for not signing another midfielder is because we already have 5 midfielders(Morgan, Fellaini, Carrick, Herrera, Bastian) on big wages vying for 1 spot. We can't go on signing players until we have moved on the players that we don't need.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
As someone already mentioned his defensive stats was impressive last season despite playing for a piss poor Villa side. Koeman and his management team did not have to do much research beyond his stats to figure out the kind of player he is. I have not seen much of him this season, but because of this thread, I will keep an eye on him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He impressed me last season, and I also thought he was very similar to Kante. To be honest, I said in the summer, I don't think it will be too hard for a team to find what Kante brings. Many players have this skill set, and are usually picked up for cheap and of a low profile.

Jaybomb

Would love for us to unearth some hidden gems again. Seems to never happen nowadays.

Martial, Bailly.

Big fees sure, but not many people knew too much about them at the time of signing. Anyone we go in for, we're gonna have to pay big money cause we're Manchester United. Bayern got Sanches for like 28m and we were linked with a whopping 50m swoop for him. It's madness.

Eila

Martial, Bailly.

Big fees sure, but not many people knew too much about them at the time of signing. Anyone we go in for, we're gonna have to pay big money cause we're Manchester United. Bayern got Sanches for like 28m and we were linked with a whopping 50m swoop for him. It's madness.
People don't follow teams like Monaco and Villareal that are constantly in European competitions? I dunno, I constantly watch Villareal specifically. Monaco mostly in the CL. They had a good run the season Martial was bought.
And Renato's deal is madness. The guy's initial fee is 35m euro, but potentially rising to 80m. So not unlike Martial he will end up costing a feckload.

Dazzmondo

People don't follow teams like Monaco and Villareal that are constantly in European competitions? I dunno, I constantly watch Villareal specifically. Monaco mostly in the CL. They had a good run the season Martial was bought.
And Renato's deal is madness. The guy's initial fee is 35m euro, but potentially rising to 80m. So not unlike Martial he will end up costing a feckload.
Recognition is the whole idea of it though. I wouldn't have included Martial since he was still very highly rated. Bailly wasn't as universally rated or known. Maybe a Villareal fan or someone who insists on watching loads of Villareal games especially could say that he was a top talent to watch but you could say something similar about someone who just watches Villa the whole time. I thought Gueye was their only good player last season personally and I thought he was a good signing for Everton as soon as I heard about it. At the same time, he doesn't have international recognition and I think that's pretty similar to Bailly and maybe to a lesser extent Martial, though I do feel he was a lot higher rated than most seem to think before we signed him. Renato was very highly rated before he was signed so that definitely shouldn't qualify imo.

Gazza

When people were talking about good center backs we should sign before this summer, I don't recall anyone saying Bailly, was only the point I was tryna make

Anyway sorry for taking thread off topic, back to Idris Elba

ti vu

So promoting someone like Rashford from our academy is not unearthing hidden gems? Having a great talents in the academy is not guaranteed they would always make into the first team, seeing how many talents had moved away from big clubs before making their names in other clubs nowadays, nothing would be taken for granted. I would humbly take Rashford over Kante, Alli, Gueye...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He may not have been hidden, but I feel Eric Bailly was somewhat under the radar
Martial, Bailly.

Nah. I mean signings made for low fees who aren't obvious names that surprise people with how good they are. Like Chicharito or Vidic. Both relative unknowns to PL fans but also very cheap. Martial and Bailey are fairly big buys.
So promoting someone like Rashford from our academy is not unearthing hidden gems? Having a great talents in the academy is not guaranteed they would always make into the first team, seeing how many talents had moved away from big clubs before making their names in other clubs nowadays, nothing would be taken for granted. I would humbly take Rashford over Kante, Alli, Gueye...
As would I. But I'm talking something else entirely. Nothing beats a youth product making it. But it would be nice to have some cheap "punts" becoming big players for us too.

Maybe it's just the market these days as well as the market we've created for ourselves with our big spending. Or possibly it's how all big clubs operate nowadays.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Nah. I mean signings made for low fees who aren't obvious names that surprise people with how good they are. Like Chicharito or Vidic. Both relative unknowns to PL fans but also very cheap. Martial and Bailey are fairly big buys.

As would I. But I'm talking something else entirely. Nothing beats a youth product making it. But it would be nice to have some cheap "punts" becoming big players for us too.

Maybe it's just the market these days as well as the market we've created for ourselves with our big spending. Or possibly it's how all big clubs operate nowadays.
It's amazing how Leicester hit the jackpot. Mahrez cost them less than 1 million!

ti vu

Tbf we got Zlatan for free. His character alone is worth the punt. Then commercial value, then perhaps on pitch performance follows... Many people seeing him failed in PL at this stage of career so he's like a surprise success. Early days though.

Daley Blind was a hidden gem as CB. Not yet to establish as top class CB, but he has those flawless games from time to time. With the right system he can reach a very good level.

Seveneric

What the other post meant with "hidden gems" was quite clear, not sure why people are trying to play mental gymnastics to include other players under that meaning.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
I'll be honest I was thinking what are we doing when we signed him but he has completely proved me wrong already. He gets about the pitch so quickly and is always there to nick the ball. Like Kante he has good balance on the ball and distributes it well.

@Walters_19_MuFc - McCarthey has certainly lost his place in the team and it wouldn't surprise me if he is sold if we get a good offer. He has regressed since his first season and he is too cowardly with his passing. Koeman doesn't look to be a fan. Shams really because he was great in his first year.

VanGaalEra

No one noticed him because he played for a shit team last season, he is very good.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
If he was that good Villa would have done better last season.
Obviously he didn't have the best of seasons last year but even someone like Roy Keane was relegated. I think he was highly rated from his time in France I have read also.

Jaybomb

I think it'd be impossible for us to get a "cheap" player these days. As soon as they see Manchester United are interested, they inflate the price.

Brightonian

Nah. I mean signings made for low fees who aren't obvious names that surprise people with how good they are.
That won't happen again for us. Our interest alone these days is enough to justify a big fee, almost regardless of who the player is. But in every other sense Bailly is just as 'out of nowhere' as Evra or Vidic. Sure, Villarreal are hardly minnows, but I'm not sure his name had ever been mentioned on here before we signed him, and in a forum full of sofa scouts that's quite something.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Mourinho eye for purchase is underrated.

The guy seldom buy marquee player but he most of the time are spot on with his purchase, at least according to how he wants his team to play and the right player for it.

The players he bought more often than not have an immediate impact

NoPace

Was excellent against Stoke. Not sure about his passing, so maybe the kind of guy who needs to be in the right system, either fairly high tempo or completely defensive, rather than a possession based one.

kundalini

I would have thought to be considered one of the signings of the season, a player would need to either make a heroic effort to keep a potential relegation candidate team in the top division, or drive a top side's title challenge, or perhaps in Everton's case, into the top 4. After all, Kante won the title last season.

Anyway, one to revisit come the end of the season.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Looking like last year's Kante so far. Immense for Everton.