If a European Super League was established, would you stop watching/supporting football?

If a European Super League was established, would you stop watching/supporting football?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

• I don’t know

• Can you repeat the question?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Hi,

Can a mod make this a poll please? I think it would just be interesting to see what people would say. Let's assume a Super League gets established with 3 or 4 clubs from each divison and those clubs no longer participate in their normal leagues or the CL.

I think the responses should be :

- I would continue to watch and support my current club
- I would stop watching and supporting
- I would start to support another team, outside of the proposed Super League eg Salford City FC

Side-note : For the people who would start to support another club, who would you support and why?

red4ever 79

I'm less and less interested these days anyway. Oil clubs champions league places for 4 clubs in domestic league too many foreigners in the Premier league. This would be the cherry on top.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yeah im Derby.

feck United. feck City feck Liverpool.

Infra-red

If it's a breakaway from the Premier League (with all the devastation that would cause to football in this country), then yes, I'd probably pack it in.

If it is a Champions League replacement, with Premier League football continuing as normal, then I'd try to stick it out.

RedDevilRoshi

Would lose major interest in following Utd and start following my local team Hibs more.

Jev

Yes, I would (at least try to) stop watching football.

Been fed up by VAR and boring bus-parking football anyway so this would be the final straw.

I cannot support such a cynical cash-grab, and whether the Super League ends up happening or not, I am deeply embarrassed and disappointed that United have been a part of an effort to make it happen.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I will probably go and support another club. Feck some Super League with the same old teams in it with no relegation.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Would find it difficult to stop watching football. Im all for putting UEFA through the ringer and allowing the clubs to get a bigger share of the pie. If it means Utd get kicked out of the Prem (Which I highly doubt) not sure I could get worked up for it as much

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Yes, I would (at least try to) stop watching football.

Been fed up by VAR and boring bus-parking football anyway so this would be the final straw.

I cannot support such a cynical cash-grab, and whether the Super League ends up happening or not, I am deeply embarrassed and disappointed that United have been a part of an effort to make it happen.
The American owners have their fingerprints all over this.

marktan

I'd still watch the big and/or interesting games, but I'd stop actively watching United. I can't support pure unfiltered greed at the expense of the rest of the teams in England.

spiriticon

I'd watch it but eh.. 36 games a year isn't going to keep me entertained for a whole season. I'd need a second team for Premier League and Champion's League.

Tyrion

It wouldn't change much for me. The idea that the status quo isn't an elitist game for the rich is an illusion. The idea that United (Liverpool, City, Barcelona etc.) are clubs and not just businesses is an illusion. This just dispenses with those illusions.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I'd like to say I'd give up on City and the super league and still continue to follow Galway United and San Marino Calcio (fm made me fall in love with them). Top level football would be dead to me etc.. but I didn't give up on City when we were bought by our previous and current owners and likely this wouldn't send me away either. I think for many who say they would walk away, you won't, you'll accept it and move on through gritted teeth till it becomes normal.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If it's a breakaway from the Premier League (with all the devastation that would cause to football in this country), then yes, I'd probably pack it in.

If it is a Champions League replacement, with Premier League football continuing as normal, then I'd try to stick it out.
I guess this would be my compromise too but seriously fk the glazers and the rest of the want away owners. How long have they even been here and to top it off they are the 1% of the 1% in terms of revenue and they still aren’t happy. Wankers!

padr81

Supports
Man City
I will not watch another game if United gets on board with this. That is the last straw for me. This is the most disgusting thing i can remember ever happening to this beautiful sport. Anyone who supports this is not a football fan.
Whether it goes through or not its clear United are on board with this sadly. Not to be a dick but they are up to their neck in it (as are the other 5 of the big 6) whether they'll back down to the PL is another thing but for me, I think the big 6 hold all the power in the league, in particular United and Liverpool with Arsenal being the old senile guy also on the board but he's only there cause no one wants to put him out to pasture.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Yes.

I’d struggle to watch other games in the knowledge that this exists and it’s robbed me of supporting United.

Jev

It wouldn't change much for me. The idea that the status quo isn't an elitist game for the rich is an illusion. The idea that United (Liverpool, City, Barcelona etc.) are clubs and not just businesses is an illusion. This just dispenses with those illusions.
You just cannot argue that it's the same thing.

At the time of writing, Leicester and West Ham are both in the Champions League places, a huge, exciting experience for their players and fans and an opportunity for the club to kick on and reach a new level.

The Super League is basically the old clubs saying: Screw you, we're the special and important clubs and we deserve all of the money and benefits with none of the risk.

It's outrageously self-centered, cynical and unsympathetic and I cannot fathom how any football fan could get behind this idea.

Roboc7

I would have very little interest in this new competition, we struggle to qualify for Champions League and are irrelevant in that competition so this would be worse. Are we supposed to believe all of a sudden we’ll be competitive and ambitious?. We all know this is purely about money and the owners lining their pockets or the clubs in Italy and Spain bailing themselves out of their own financial mess.

Guy Incognito

This is 1992 all over again. People will still be invested in football.

I'd watch but I won't pay subs. Cancelling Sky/BT was the best thing I did in recent years.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
You just cannot argue that it's the same thing.

At the time of writing, Leicester and West Ham are both in the Champions League places, a huge, exciting experience for their players and fans and an opportunity for the club to kick on and reach a new level.

The Super League is basically the old clubs saying: Screw you, we're the special and important clubs and we deserve all of the money and benefits with none of the risk.

It's outrageously self-centered, cynical and unsympathetic and I cannot fathom how any football fan could get behind this idea.
Where would we even get players from? The other super league clubs? It sounds like a crap idea

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Whether it goes through or not its clear United are on board with this sadly. Not to be a dick but they are up to their neck in it (as are the other 5 of the big 6) whether they'll back down to the PL is another thing but for me, I think the big 6 hold all the power in the league, in particular United and Liverpool with Arsenal being the old senile guy also on the board but he's only there cause no one wants to put him out to pasture.
Oh, i know. United are probably one of the teams that has pushed for this the hardest. Our owners are absolute filth, but that has been proven long before today. I do really hope the PL, FIFA and UEFA use every tool they have to shut this down. I do think they have the power, no?

hobbers

I wouldn't pay to stream United in some trumped up pre season champions cup in stadiums around the world, no. Feck that.

Who could even care about a perpetual competition with the same teams and only the top spot to play for year after year after year.

diarm

I made a thread earlier but nobody liked it. I honestly think if the top 6 were kicked out, the league could (under decent management) use it as an opportunity for a real reset of the game.

Football has been fecked for a long time. This could be the chance to switch to a more fan owned model - overhaul the broadcasting structure and make the game more accessible and affordable.

Make it more about the football and less about the bullshit of money, var, Sky and BT.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I'd watch it and support United in it. I'd continue to support the 4 other clubs that I follow at different levels of the English football pyramid.

48 hours

I’d go with this. Though not sure how this would replace the champions league with so few teams

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'd be done with football for a few years and then it'd drag me back in but don't think I could follow United again certainly one owned by a Glazer. That'd be me down and out.

OleBoiii

I don't want a super league, but I won't stop watching if it happens.

If they do it, then I hope they do it right. There should probably be a youth draft like in the NBA. If they're smart about it, then they should probably create a "draft system" for signings in general. Otherwise it will be hard for English clubs to compete with the superior weather in Spain. If the league is the same and the salary is the same, then why would anyone choose rainy Manchester over Barcelona unless they are a big United fan?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I'm not looking attention but I had a massive panic attack here. It was enough for me to start thinking that I was maybe having a heart attack. feck me, it's hard not to draw conclusions. I don't want lose my club.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
who are the others out of curiosity?
Rotherham United, Halesowen Town, Brighton and Hove Albion and Salford City.

Local team from places I've lived over the years.

Amarsdd

getting bought by the Saudi regime is my last straw. This is not.

48 hours

Rotherham United, Halesowen Town, Brighton and Hove Albion and Salford City.

Local team from places I've lived over the years.
fair enough. I have a mate who supports Chelsea, City and Stockport. Talk about 3 teams of shite for him