If a European Super League was established, would you stop watching/supporting football?

If a European Super League was established, would you stop watching/supporting football?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

• I don’t know

• Can you repeat the question?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nick7

I’ll continue to support St. Pats. Would probably be finished watching English football though.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I wouldn't watch the ESL.

I'd watch more football from elsewhere. The remnants of European football, more MSL, Copa Libertadores, CAF football... Would make an effort to go see more live games as a neutral (knock off some games on the "games to see before you die" list)

Don't think I would ever support another European team. Maybe FCUM as that has some tie to United. Otherwise feck it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
No, not if it was replacing the CL.

Not being in the PL would probably sap my enthusiasm for the sport though. Don't think I'd suddenly stop watching but my interest would probably drift elsewhere.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Oh, i know. United are probably one of the teams that has pushed for this the hardest. Our owners are absolute filth, but that has been proven long before today. I do really hope the PL, FIFA and UEFA use every tool they have to shut this down. I do think they have the power, no?
Hey at least your owners don't cattle prod people into "business deals" or have homosexuals disappear. I gave up on the beautiful game long ago when the Sky money came in, but I could never walk away from City and I think it'll be the same for you guys. Football clubs are ingrained in us. Doesn't matter what shit they do or pull, its like family, your brother might be Ryan Giggs but he's still your brother.

Hester_manc

Of course not - I still love football and United. But I am strong against and agree with UEFA, that it is cynical.

predator

Youth NITK
Nope. United are still the club I support and always will. Old trafford is still the stadium. We are still called Manchester united and I feel close to the club as my family have brought me up to be a united fan and I have always lived in Manchester. I cant imagine not supporting united.

I'm also quietly excited about the prospect of watching the best players play against each other on a regular basis.

Sky sports are collectively bricking it because they will no doubt be losers financially and it couldn't happen to a more sincere and generous company.

Oil clubs have been allowed in football for years now so the integrity of the game went way before this new breakaway league.

UEFA, FIFA, FA are all as bent as they possibly can be. Money talks.

Using the traditions of the game and the damage it will do to smaller clubs as ammunition is to be expected but do we really know how it will pan out?
Smaller clubs may thrive, due to gaining more of their local fans?

I'm not sure really. I'll still support united without a shadow of a doubt.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I might stick on a stream if I'm doing nothing else and remember there's a game on, but absolutely no way I'm paying for anything (not that I do now) and I probably wouldn't be actively interested or give much of a shit about it.

OverratedOpinion

I absolutely love football and don't have a huge amount of hobbies so no.

I definitely wouldn't blame anyone for doing so though.

sillwuka

My support for this club will never waiver but the Prem is mainly what keeps me interested. For me, I've always enjoyed the domestic games as it's just the norm.

Taking that away would see me lose interest over time I feel.

I'd probably buy a season ticket at Stockport Country down the road, they are in the conference at the moment.

Stormrage101MUFC

I will of course continue to watch, but it will feel more shallow. I probably wouldn't care who won this "European Super League", it means nothing to me. It will feel like one of those transient sponsorship trophies that last for a year or 2 then get replaced with something else.

Who wins the Premier League, Champions League (traditional format not the newly proposed one) and even the FA Cup is what I actually care about.

Walters_19_MuFc

I couldn't stop watching because a large percentage of my life consists of football.

As much I would like to support another club, especially to boycott those shithouse owners of ours, again, it'd be tough because United have been a huge part of my life.

Drainy

Of course not - I still love football and United. But I am strong against and agree with UEFA, that it is cynical.
I'm sorry but UEFA are stupid. Champions League football ratings are dropping and their answer was to make more games with worse teams - shifting the burden onto the big clubs to compete in more games, incurring more costs, against poorer opposition and paying them less as the TV money would need to be spread more.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Already I dont buy merchandise, discontinued MUTV etc. If this goes on, I am out. #glazersout

Would still probably watch United games but with much less interest. Football is all about the connection with the fans for me and so a year of empty empty stadiums (which are necessary don't get me wrong) have already been waning my passion for the game. For United to do something so opposed to their ethos and history, something that's universally despised by our fans is just a kick in the teeth. They don't care about us. Getting an MLS team in my city (that truly cares about the community) has been incredible and I really enjoy the league despite the lower standard of play so will probably just focus my football energy towards them.

caid

I really doubt i'd still watch. Definitely wouldn't be supporting or watching anyone involved in the super league.

Don't Kill Bill

Really tough question. If a boycott stood any chance of stopping it, then I would support that boycott and I would end my subscription and only watch free to air highlights.

Gavinb33

I am going to go and watch a non league team if this happens, fecking Arsenal in a European Super League is a joke and at the expense of Leicster or someone who are miles better its an americanised concept which should be left in the mud

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Brutal. Anyone supporting this is a fecking cnut.

JPOR

I'd not stop watching, but my allegiances would change and I'd start supporting my local lower leagues club more, which happens to be Salford FC.

caid

Is the thread title vs the poll kind of confusing. I wouldn't watch football so i should vote yes?

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
Hi,

Can a mod make this a poll please? I think it would just be interesting to see what people would say. Let's assume a Super League gets established with 3 or 4 clubs from each divison and those clubs no longer participate in their normal leagues or the CL.

I think the responses should be :

- I would continue to watch and support my current club
- I would stop watching and supporting
- I would start to support another team, outside of the proposed Super League eg Salford City FC

Side-note : For the people who would start to support another club, who would you support and why?
I wouldn't stop watching completely but be less interested in it, Glazers and other American Owners are vermin only interested in one thing: Total Control, trying to forge A Football Version of the NFL and its great how majority of ex players are in agreement with how disgusting this is. However, they were the same ones who slagged off fans for protesting against those owners over the years and trying to enforce change.

Charlie Foley

Would still watch football but would not watch the super league. I watch Benfica, Bordeaux, Boca, and Bournemouth regularly (for various reasons from various points in my life) so would probably stick to that.

VivaRonaldo85

Hard to judge now as I’d need to know what it meant for the current competitions we play in and try to win every season.

Acole9

Outstanding
I wouldn’t watch much. It would be like watching the pre season tournaments. They’re shite as well
Agreed, the pre season tournaments/tours are dreadful to watch. Can definitely do without more of that.

Mercurial

If stay in EPL but replace UCL, probably not a huge issue, UCL has somewhat lost its appeal to me.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I've already got 1 foot out of the game. It's gradually lost its allure over the past 15 years. This would definitely be the end for me.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yes I would watch, why not. I dont like the new UCL format anyway

arthurka

Don't see how can act like this is just understandable and ok.. Totally giving us fans the middle finger. When is enough money enough? Where will this end

Bertie Wooster

No, I wouldn't stop watching it.

But if United, and the other top clubs, weren't involved in the domestic leagues as well then it really wouldn't be as good for me as, instead of 4 or 5 competitions to follow with emotional interest, there'd just be one.

Maybe they'd also invent a new cup of their own but, presumably, it would just be for the same few teams as well so wouldn't feel much different to the Super League, and wouldn't have the novelty factor of the current domestic / European cups where you're playing some rare teams from different levels that you hardly ever play.

If the top players also couldn't play in the World Cup then that would become pretty sh*tty as well. Maybe they'd create an international type tournament for those Super League based players but, again, it would be artifical and not as good as the current one.

If the Super League can work alongside the domestic competitions, so it's just another incarnation of the current European competitions then fine. If it's similar to what I described above, then it sounds awful.

rollingstoned1

I'd say the ESL is an idea that was going to happen sooner rather than later. it is possible that covid and 1 whole season without fans is going to accelerate it. The big clubs in Europe who bring in the tv money won't say no to it if they're convinced that at least to begin with they stand to gain a lot more with a closed shop Super League. Whether the teams that remain in the existing leagues will step in and fill that void is hard to say. I watch football without the emotional involvement that i used to have anyway, so it may make me care even less even if i don't stop watching it which I won't.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Loads of people professing their wallets' undying loyalty to the Glazers. And then they go and whine about how football is gone, etc.

You lot are like turkeys voting for Christmas and this is the reason why this club is now a business with very loyal and gullible customer base.

SirScholes

Could you make the choice stop supporting any club that went in for it?
Id watch non super league football but id stop supporting Man Utd as it would cease to exist as the club I love

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
All that history and pride for league titles, FA Cups and European trophies and all those proud moments, wiped out by some plastic trophy with no history.

The draw of earning a big European tie against Barcelona or Juventus gone, you will have meaningless games against them every season now.

And the PL, completely worthless without its biggest and best clubs.

This would be it for me, I would have to find a new hobby. Everything I love about football would be officially gone.