If a European Super League was established, would you stop watching/supporting football?

If a European Super League was established, would you stop watching/supporting football?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

• I don’t know

• Can you repeat the question?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Crashoutcassius

No. I'll go against the grain in saying I'm not totally against the ESL idea.

Football and the Premier League are screwed beyond recognition at the moment and desperately need a kick up the arse to change themselves.

On a slightly less serious note, anything has got to be better than watching the likes of Burnley kick us off the pitch each week.
Would this be a kick up the arse ? Taking x number of teams and guaranteeing they are the only clubs that can compete money wise regardless of how they perform on the pitch ?

Crashoutcassius

So many people don't get the point. I'd stop following United and support competitive football instead. This proposal limits how competitive football can ever be again

kidbob

Absolutely not. I was lucky enough to become a fan in 94 at the peak of United's power. Since then I have watched domination, then Arsenal, then us then oil Chelsea, then us, then oil City, then us and finally the last few years. Not one of you stopped following football when the oil machine was allowed in, not one of you stopped following football when the PL allowed American owners take us over and straddle us with their debt. The fact is that this thread is meaningless, its an empty threat. You will all still follow your clubs no matter how detached you say or do really feel. Football is not the same now as it was in the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s but you're still here and you always will be.

I'm lucky in that I have a real local sport to follow. GAA is only about where your from and I get to follow Kildare through good and mostly bad. Otherwise my province have a current chance to become the most successful European rugby team ever this year. I feel lucky to have both these things but United are the same to me. They are my team and I will support them no matter what competition they are in and who happens to disagree with it. The rest of you will too, even if you hate to admit it. You might nit watch games but you will check scores and you'll still be on here.

For me, luckily, football is a log way secondary to my real local sporting interests so I'll follow United no matter what.

I voted no. The reason being is that I don’t believe we will have a separate ‘super league’, we will end up with some sort of revised European competition alongside the domestic leagues. The change won’t be anywhere near as big as what may or may not be being proposed.

a closed shop European competition would be a horrendous decision. However, would I still watch it, of course, and I believe the vast majority will - it’s not as if there will be an alternative product to watch/ support.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Will just continue following the domestic league. And cups.

Mr Smith

I would like to think I would stop watching top level European football. Mayber I'd switch to exclusively watching the A league here in Australia. One way or another, I'd do everything I can to not support a Super League.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I voted no. The reason being is that I don’t believe we will have a separate ‘super league’, we will end up with some sort of revised European competition alongside the domestic leagues. The change won’t be anywhere near as big as what may or may not be being proposed.

a closed shop European competition would be a horrendous decision. However, would I still watch it, of course, and I believe the vast majority will - it’s not as if there will be an alternative product to watch/ support.
Of course there would be an alternative to watch, how about the rest of the biggest game on the planet outside these rich 12 clubs?

Of course there would be an alternative to watch, how about the rest of the biggest game on the planet outside these rich 12 clubs?
there’s not an alternative Manchester United. I’m not going to watch the PL without United. Perhaps I didn’t word it correctly. When I watch games now as a neutral, I will always favour the result that impacts united most favourably (unless it’s Liverpool, who clearly I want to lose no matter what). Taking united completely out of that renders it pointless in me watching the league.

furthermore, it would obviously be a separate subscription, it it’s not something I would pay for.

the league would die almost instantly if you took out ‘the big 6’. There would be no interest, no fans, no money.

Foxbatt

I think the question is wrong. Would I support and follow United and pay? The answer is NO. Now it's going to get more interesting if UEFA and FIFA ban all the players. Would the top players still play in the Super League or will they go to playing for their countries and clubs who are not involved in the Super League?

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Sadly not, i love football to much with all these emotions.

But surely it looks like it will be a huge change.

Red Stone

My passion for following the game (at the top level, not for the game of football itself) has been going downhill for a while now. I'm thinking about the horrific implementation of VAR in the Premier League and how much it's sapped enjoyment from the game. This is so much bigger and so much worse, so it could very well be the final straw. It would almost certainly be the end for me in terms of supporting United if they choose to join this shite. I would have to look for a new team, but I can't see myself getting invested in them in the same way. I've been a United fan all my life. Picking a new team in my 30s just isn't going to be the same. Horrible times as a football fan. It feels like a massive chunk of my life so far is withering and dying in front of my very eyes.

Robaldo

Will this be commercially viable to broadcasters if there is essentially a lack of competition within this?

Snuffkin

UEFA will never be in a position to wag their finger at anyone.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Supporting, yes. Not another cent of my money will go to United. Its a farce.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Absolutely not. I was lucky enough to become a fan in 94 at the peak of United's power. Since then I have watched domination, then Arsenal, then us then oil Chelsea, then us, then oil City, then us and finally the last few years. Not one of you stopped following football when the oil machine was allowed in, not one of you stopped following football when the PL allowed American owners take us over and straddle us with their debt. The fact is that this thread is meaningless, its an empty threat. You will all still follow your clubs no matter how detached you say or do really feel. Football is not the same now as it was in the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s but you're still here and you always will be.

I'm lucky in that I have a real local sport to follow. GAA is only about where your from and I get to follow Kildare through good and mostly bad. Otherwise my province have a current chance to become the most successful European rugby team ever this year. I feel lucky to have both these things but United are the same to me. They are my team and I will support them no matter what competition they are in and who happens to disagree with it. The rest of you will too, even if you hate to admit it. You might nit watch games but you will check scores and you'll still be on here.

For me, luckily, football is a log way secondary to my real local sporting interests so I'll follow United no matter what.
As a fellow Irish man, this is an incredibly disrespectful comment to make to the tens of thousands of irish who love the club, but especially to the Mancs who live and breathe this club, the lifeblood of who we thought we were. And that goes for the fans of the other legitimate supporters of all football teams.

The generations thay have gone before them, and the future generations due to have it passed down to them. Forgotten, and disregarded.

Fair competition being trampled on for money. Its capitalism at its ugly pure form.

For shame.

Rustyspider13

Now that it's actually happening, I'm having to evaluate my love for United, which I didn't think I'd ever have to do. The PL has always been the big draw for me football wise and I can't even fathom United not playing in it. I think I'd still watch the ESL games as I can't support another club and I enjoy football as a sport too much but in the back of my mind it'll always feel lesser.

feck the Glazers. Just feck them all. Ruining the one club and now the one sport I feel anything towards.

NHLYR 1878

Feels like a nail in the coffin somewhat.

There's been a steady degeneracy over the years, but this announcement has been an out of the blue nutshot for everyone, and if this comes through then I will well and truly have had it with "elite" football.

I will have to support FCUM or Salford should this American style crap materialise. Neither of those ideal but they are the only local teams I would and could realistically follow.

Paul_Scholes18

I think I watch and hope United get relegated at some point for being too shit. That is the only hope for me to love us again. Sadly there is Arsenal and Spurs to be even more shit than us.

bondsname

The ESL actually makes me angry. Load of shite. Football is ruined.

Incredible how money corrupts the mind, imagine that a digital number in a bank account and a bunch of paper can make you commit such egoistical acts, with absolutely no regard to others.

I love the Premier League but now it feels pointless. What’s even the point of finishing the season? If we overtake City it’s just going to feel empty, think I’ll stop watching football altogether.

diarm

They have a similar thread to this on BlueMoon, only they're asking: "If a European Super League was established would you start watching/supporting football.

Cloud7

I barely find the time to watch much football these days anyway. It'll be even tougher to bring myself to watch a competition I don't care for.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I'd stop supporting United for sure - with pain in my heart - but there will be plenty of clubs left that deserve the support after. I think there are clearly a lot of great people at United who don't like this idea either and I hope they talk by walking away as well. I'm obviously no fan of FIFA or UEFA but in this case I hope they absolutely demolish this idea.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
International football just became a whole lot more compelling.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Enjoy the decade of West Ham domination.
In the short term it will be nice for likes of us, West Ham, Everton, Leicester and perhaps even Leeds if they keep building to actually fight for league title, will have a proper 80s feel when yes Liverpool did dominate the league but you still had us and Everton winning it and many promoted teams like Ipswich, West Ham and Watford could all finish 2nd or 3rd so no real closed shop in those days as now.

Yes I know it will feel like league cup but ironically that's still a competition the top teams still regularly win despite limited interest in it.

Not naive to think though in long run the finances will really dry up. I think this is what has sparked this as Sky have reached the limit as to what they can pay for domestic rights and really the big prem money now comes from the overseas rights so the top 6 have exploited that knowing the interest they can get from this joke proposal from Asia and America.

I too can remember first talk of this in the late 90s but Uefa just about managed to keep clubs in line with tweaking the CL a bit.

I hate this idea like everyone else. It's true the CL format for group stage level is pretty boring nowadays bar the odd shock elimination. In an ideal world it would just be straight two leg knock out from the start as that's where the main excitement comes form but you can see from main Uefa proposals for restructure that is opposite of what they want aswell by adding more group stage games.

What might've worked imo instead is a top league of 10 teams so top 5 in prem (feck Spurs :lol:) plus top two in Spain and Italy plus Bayern/PSG. Then a second europa league style with another prem team plus one more from the other main leagues and then likes of Ajax, Porto and you have 2/3 promotion relegation places so at least you have a bit of change in the teams every season but it still excludes a minnow like say APOL Nicosia who I can remember reaching CL QF about a decade ago plus still kills a team like Atalanta developing through brilliant player development as they've done in last 5 years.

I've always said to friends in the past I'd be done following football if they ever did away with relegation. Meant that more for domestic leagues in becoming closed shops so I simply won't watch a minute of this competition.

Think the big hope here is the big players just rebel against it, hopefully what Havertz said is true and that's the feeling in Chelsea dressing room. It's actually an interesting thought now, we've seen the debate about Harry Kane in last few weeks about him needing to move on to win stuff.

Effectively vast majority of players will just be signing up to be Harry Kanes in that there won't be domestic cups to win anymore (which a big club can always win to paper over the cracks of an average season as we've seen many times in last 20 years).

You see the passion that Bruno Fernandes speaks of wanting to win the league for Man. United and other trophies so for all that to be taken away just to finish 5th or 6th in this new league....I dunno but it's a lot to lose. No more days out at Wembley etc and final wins that stay long in the memory. Clubs like Man. United and Arsenal potentially now could go 20-30 years without winning anything now so join the club of most of us in English football who never win anything anymore.

As it happens I don't think these clubs will be banned from domestic leagues anyway and they'll have to find a way to make it work with the schedule but FA cup pretty much going to be an opt out now unless B teams are fielded so final nail for that competition although again will mean winners of those who haven't won a pot since dinosaurs roamed the earth.

All in all, I think things will be scaled down over next few months and compromises will be reached but football won't be the same again, I'm pretty sure this talk started this time last year so shows the intentions of clubs as soon as the pandemic hit 12 months ago.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
No, because I love the games too much, I won't want to stop watching the art of beautiful football.

About this whole Super League situation, I don't even know what to think anymore. And what I think won't make any difference anyway. So, I'll just let things happen and see how this mess unfolds

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
No, because I love the games too much, I won't want to stop watching the art of beautiful football.

About this whole Super League situation, I don't even know what to think anymore. And what I think won't make any difference anyway. So, I'll just let things happen and see how this mess unfolds
If there is a good thing to take from current situation is that we finally might get this whole Super League mess finally solved once and for all. I want a final resolution