If Bruno had missed the penalty against Brighton. . .

Leethal

It would have been an injustice to us, as we wouldn't have been able to convert the potential rebound, as the game had finished.

If the referee had caught the handball, and didn't have to rely on VAR, he would not have blown the whistle until AFTER the penalty had been taken and the ball cleared. But since VAR spotted it after his full-time whistle, we're denied the opportunity to put away a rebound from a missed penalty. The whistle should be rescinded and full time should have been held off till' after the penalty, as would have been the case if VAR intervention wasn't required.

What happened isn't right. And I'm not saying this as a United supporter, I'm saying this as a football supporter. I'd feel the same way if another team was in the same situation.

Tarrou

the whistle was rescinded wasn't it? otherwise how did we have time to take the penalty? I'm pretty sure the ref blew the final whistle again after the pen went in, so no reason why he couldn't wait one more second if there was a rebound

el3mel

We got the pen because the handball happened while the play was still on, so the whistle was canceled. The play would have resumed till the ball had went out of dangerous area. If it had went out to a corner I think we would have to taken it on as well then the ref would have ended the match.

Untd55

Well, the game inexplicably had one and a half minutes extra time on the extra time before the corner. No injuries or stoppages.

The goal was scored in the 94th minute with only 5 minutes of extra time, so there should have been 50 seconds max.

I would say that isn't really right since the corner should never have happened in the first place. Can't complain if you benefit from poor refereeing.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If the keeper had saved it and the balled rolled straight out to Bruno, I’m pretty sure the ref would’ve allowed him the chance to convert it.

After all, that bribe wasn’t cheap.

Interesting question. We don’t know that if the pen was missed that the ref would have blown for full time do we?

My take would be, it’s the same as if in any situation where the kick is right at the end. The ref would allow a rebound, but as soon as the ball is dead or is out of the pen area, he blows?

Cliche Guevara

If I’m following this correctly the complaint here is a hypothetical imagined injustice against us in a situation where there was actually probably a massive injustice which benefited us?

(Not saying it wasn’t a penalty but we didn’t deserve it).

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Well, the game inexplicably had one and a half minutes extra time on the extra time before the corner. No injuries or stoppages.

The goal was scored in the 94th minute with only 5 minutes of extra time, so there should have been 50 seconds max.

I would say that isn't really right since the corner should never have happened in the first place. Can't complain if you benefit from poor refereeing.
Rule is not maximum of 5 mins stoppage time, it's minimum of 5 mins.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Goal was scored at 94:30

Kick off was 95:45

Corner was won at 96:10

So there actually was time and the ref added on correctly.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
As for the OP, the original final whistle was cancelled and the the game had restarted.

The ref could have played on for an extra 5 minutes after the penalty if he had so wished.

Oldham

I actually thought the rule was a kick-off was necessary after a goal to confirm it...

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I actually thought the rule was a kick-off was necessary after a goal to confirm it...
Nah, you can blow whenever you want as far as I'm aware.

Technically the ref could have blown up in between Fernandes hitting the penalty and it going in the net.

flappyjay

Here is one if Bruno misses and one of the Brighton players speeds to our goal on a counter attack what would you have expected of the ref?

cyberman

Brighton scored 35 odd seconds before the 5th minute. We got the corner 27 odd seconds after the restart.
Not exact numbers but we werent overtime.

Oldham

Nah, you can blow whenever you want as far as I'm aware.

Technically the ref could have blown up in between Fernandes hitting the penalty and it going in the net.
Yeah but then it's not a goal...

I've never not seen a kick-off after a goal. But a minor detail and I'll probably not lose much sleep over it...

Denis' cuff

The match finishes after the penalty, whether scored, saved or hit a post. No rebounds or counters.

Nickelodeon

Not sure what the injustice discussion is all about. Even without the new crazy handball rule, it would still be a handball since that was a shot directly towards goal. And so what if the final whistle was done, it was barely a second post the incident which was rightly checked. It was painful for Brighton but not sure what the referee decision had to do with it.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
This is a very valid question and issues like this will not be solved for as long as football has the worst time keeping among the timed major sports.

I honestly do not see a single valid argument in favour of preserving the current format.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
"If Bruno had missed a penalty". Everything after that sentence is irrelevant because that can't happen. :).
But seriously; pens should always be like that. With no rebounds. If gk saves it then it should be goal kick. And gk should be allowed to do everything what they want if they stay in 6 yard box.

So to avoid all those double standard decisions.

Foxbatt

This is a very valid question and issues like this will not be solved for as long as football has the worst time keeping among the timed major sports.

I honestly do not see a single valid argument in favour of preserving the current format.
Football has minimum time. Or time added on. It's not like basketball where the clock is stopped. It's up to the referee. For every goal scored I think time is added on too. And for subs too.
It's said Ben Foster is a master in wasting time.

Leethal

don’t understand the commotion here ( well, media/United - should know better) I knew this rule when I as about 7. Var makes no difference.
It absolutely does.

If the referee had spotted the handball, (and not had to rely on VAR), he would NOT have blown the whistle and said: "Here's your penalty, but I'm going to blow the whistle now so you can't score off a rebound/miss". He'd have waited till' the ball was dead or the penalty was scored.

Denis' cuff

It absolutely does.

If the referee had spotted the handball, (and not had to rely on VAR), he would NOT have blown the whistle and said: "Here's your penalty, but I'm going to blow the whistle now so you can't score off a rebound/miss". He'd have waited till' the ball was dead or the penalty was scored.
not if time was up.

Baneofthegame

It absolutely does.

Without VAR there is no pen and we draw the game 2-2, so pick which option you would prefer.

Leethal

Without VAR there is no pen and we draw the game 2-2, so pick which option you would prefer.
That's being results orientated. It's irrelevant. We could be losing 2-0, and I'd be asking the same question.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
If a Brighton player would have two footed Bruno as he was about to take the kick would play have continued? What if every Brighton player did the same to the subsequent United penalty taker?