If Dortmund doesn’t qualify for CL

Polar

What happens if Dortmund doesn’t qualify for the next Champions League?

Haaland, Sancho, Can and probably more players are very likely leaving the club; Players will force their way out and Dortmund is forced to sell players of economic reasons. It’s actually a win-win-win situation: players, Dortmund, United and other hawks.

Dortmund has one of the most talented squads in Europe, but if they don’t qualify for CL, I predict they to a certain extent have to build a new team, but at the same time I’m not very concerned on behalf of Dortmund.

Reyna and Bellingham are still very young and don’t have to look for new challenges. They will likely be given more responsibility in Dortmund and grow on that. Players like Reus, Hummels, Witsel (and more) are to old to move, and they represent needed experience and continuity when Dortmund is building a new team around young talented players.

I anyway hope Dortmund returns to the good company soon. They have great supporters and the club is run very professional. I really like how they spot and work with young talents: give them first team responsibilities at an early age.

It won’t be a mass clear out/ fire sale.

Im sure a couple of players will leave, who were going to leave in case (just expedited). Perhaps Sancho and Haaland.

others may want to leave, but the club will hold onto them.

Tallis

I think Sanchos price will go down and he will try to leave to the first statured club that will be prepared to pay his wages and f

Haaland holds all the cards in his relationship with Dortmund so he will leave when he wants to. That was the price of signing him.

It probably doesn’t impact the other kids as much

Reactions: Cheimoon

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
What happens if Dortmund doesn’t qualify for the next Champions League?

Haaland, Sancho, Can and probably more players are very likely leaving the club; Players will force their way out and Dortmund is forced to sell players of economic reasons. It’s actually a win-win-win situation: players, Dortmund, United and other hawks.

Dortmund has one of the most talented squads in Europe, but if they don’t qualify for CL, I predict they to a certain extent have to build a new team, but at the same time I’m not very concerned on behalf of Dortmund.

Reyna and Bellingham are still very young and don’t have to look for new challenges. They will likely be given more responsibility in Dortmund and grow on that. Players like Reus, Hummels, Witsel (and more) are to old to move, and they represent needed experience and continuity when Dortmund is building a new team around young talented players.

I anyway hope Dortmund returns to the good company soon. They have great supporters and the club is run very professional. I really like how they spot and work with young talents: give them first team responsibilities at an early age.
Even if they do qualify for the CL Haaland and probably Sancho leave anyway.

Polar

Couldn’t Emry Can also be an alternative to us? Isn’t he exactly the player we need on our midfield? He is “only” 27y and likely have five more years left on the highest level.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Couldn’t Emry Can also be an alternative to us? Isn’t he exactly the player we need on our midfield? He is “only” 27y and likely have five more years left on the highest level.
He is shit and a massive cnut.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We need to be in for Haaland. Offer to double his wages if he bins off his fat feck of an agent as well.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sancho will definitely leave. He wanted out last year and they kept him against his will, he’ll definitely go this year.

They’ll probably push out some other senior players like Witsel, Meunier, etc. and replace them with some 17 year olds. I think they’ll keep a hold of Haaland for another season. There’s also rumours of the other young American winger being up for grabs, Giovanni Reyna.

I doubt it’ll be much of a fire sale, tbh - Sancho and Haaland aside (who I doubt will go this summer). Their model of one or two really amazing talents plus a bunch of 16-18 year olds isn’t quite working how they expected. Gasp.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
This is what happens when you're on a shoe string and think you can play with the big boys.

Give Ed Woodward shit, but he's right. United dont need the Champions League to be successful. That money is now merely a bonus and we are only one of six/seven clubs in the world that can treat it like that. Dortmund aint one of them and three of them are funded by criminals.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They’ll sign more wonder kids that everyone will overrate and Dortmund will sell them a year or two later and continue fannying around 3rd-7th place

Bondi77

Bellingham goes back to Birmingham as he signed thinking he was guaranteed Chmps League every year.

slored1

Feck the Liverpool cnut. Has a punchable face and is a bad, dirty player.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Has a team in football history ever sold all its best players after finishing out of the CL places for one season?

I feel as though that is a myth.

tenpoless

Don't worry they were on top of the banter league so it's fine to lose out on millions and a CL place.
As long as they love seeing what they are seeing.

Drainy

I reckon Haaland stays 'to help fire them back into the Champions League' and leaves the following season for his payday. They will retain the bulk of their best players because letting everyone leave will be more damaging to the club in the long run.

Out of all the players who United might be interested in (so Haaland, Sancho & Bellingham) only Sancho will be available to make up the budget shortfall.

cyberman

Sancho this summer, he elevates us a level and we become a more than an attractive destination for Halaand next summer with Ole in charge and his mate playing here.
Maybe pick up Bellingham a year or 2 down the line.
Thats the dream.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Has a team in football history ever sold all its best players after finishing out of the CL places for one season?

I feel as though that is a myth.
We've never had a pandemic that forced teams to play in an empty stadiums either. These are unprecedented times.

Godfather

No thanks. A million times

Spaghetti

Mom's
We've never had a pandemic that forced teams to play in an empty stadiums either. These are unprecedented times.
The loss of fans doesn’t hit German teams as hard, because their ticket prices are much cheaper than England / Spain. It’s not as key in their budgets.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Does it really bother Dortmund?

It's not like they have a super bunch of players in their prime - arguably just youngsters except a few.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Sancho this summer, he elevates us a level and we become a more than an attractive destination for Halaand next summer with Ole in charge and his mate playing here.
Maybe pick up Bellingham a year or 2 down the line.
Thats the dream.
Why hasn't he elevated Dortmund to be higher than 6th in the league then? 7th if Gladbach win their game in hand. Sancho is over rated, especially for the price we would have to pay.

Polar

Haaland will definitely leave if Dortmund doesn’t qualify for CL. 100% sure. He’s in this game now to set new records, and he wouldn’t look back thinking something stoped him from moving forward. Haaland’s ambitions are sky high and if Dortmund isn’t able to help Haaland reaching his goals, he will say thanks and goodbye.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
The loss of fans doesn’t hit German teams as hard, because their ticket prices are much cheaper than England / Spain. It’s not as key in their budgets.
The loss of fans + the loss of CL money will most certainly hit them hard.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
They were ready to let go Sancho for big money last summer, and he will surely be gone -for not quite so big money- this summer; so that wouldn't be beyond what they planned anyway
However I could imagine it could become painful if they have to sell off their next-in-line 100m transfer, Reyna, prematurely, for comparatively little money, or if Haaland/Raiola push hard for a move already after this season. It would mean their overall squad quality would decrease massively.

They do have a number of players that they could sell and be able to replace without too much trouble, who have some value but have kind of flopped at BVB, most of all Brandt and Dahoud.

Problem is that neither the poor performances of this season, collectively or of the above-mentioned individually, nor the pandemic-affected economic environment as a whole are making it likely that they can get good money for any player they sell off, apart from the top assets Haaland and Reyna whom they least want to sell.

So their main challenge will be to generate enough funds by selling off deadwood while not having to strip out too much of the family silver, seeing of course that they would need a competitive squad in order to make sure to get back into top 4. Things like, if Rose wants Neuhaus.

Bellingham will surely stay, he was expensive and wouldn't bring in so much profit now, also he's an amazing prospect for the future, and he's not in a position or mindset to make trouble for lack of CL, no point at all in selling him.

Last edited:

SirMarcusRashford

United haven't qualified yet, top 4 in the Premier League close and United unpredicable, so don't count your chickens United benefiting from this potential Dortmund jumble sale.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
Dortmund were already predicting losses of €75 million for the season on top of the €44 million loss for the previous financial year. Missing out on the Champions League money next season would be a disaster on top of the same disaster every other club will be feeling.

Giggsy13

It Dortmund don’t qualify for the champions league, I’ll initially laugh hysterically for several minutes. Once that’s done, I’ll watch Dortmund sell several of their key players at cut rate prices and laugh hysterically for several minutes at each sale. You love to see it.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Can is only 27? He's been around forever.

nyanza

They were ready to let go Sancho for big money last summer, and he will surely be gone -for not quite so big money- this summer; so that wouldn't be beyond what they planned anyway
It's hard to imagine them rubbing their hands thinking how everything is going according to plan, especially if they happen to miss out on CL. After deciding to keep him one more year (supposedly to achieve something, I doubt they've done it expecting to get more money later), dropping out of top 4, then selling him right after in the second year of pandemic when his value is probably at its lowest for the past 3 years. Not to mention the possibility of losing both him and Haaland in period of one or two summers.

They were probably betting on posing a title challenge (or at least a comfortable top 4 finish) with his help and fans coming back, then still getting big money if Real, PSG or someone else joins the chase.

Reactions: Cheimoon