If Dortmund doesn’t qualify for CL

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It's hard to imagine them rubbing their hands thinking how everything is going according to plan, especially if they happen to miss out on CL.
Well, that's why I wrote another few sentences after the one you quoted :confused:

pascell

Couldn’t Emry Can also be an alternative to us? Isn’t he exactly the player we need on our midfield? He is “only” 27y and likely have five more years left on the highest level.
No chance, glad we never went for him he was at Juve, average footballer.

Chief123

What happens if Dortmund doesn’t qualify for the next Champions League?

Haaland, Sancho, Can and probably more players are very likely leaving the club; Players will force their way out and Dortmund is forced to sell players of economic reasons. It’s actually a win-win-win situation: players, Dortmund, United and other hawks.

Dortmund has one of the most talented squads in Europe, but if they don’t qualify for CL, I predict they to a certain extent have to build a new team, but at the same time I’m not very concerned on behalf of Dortmund.

Reyna and Bellingham are still very young and don’t have to look for new challenges. They will likely be given more responsibility in Dortmund and grow on that. Players like Reus, Hummels, Witsel (and more) are to old to move, and they represent needed experience and continuity when Dortmund is building a new team around young talented players.

I anyway hope Dortmund returns to the good company soon. They have great supporters and the club is run very professional. I really like how they spot and work with young talents: give them first team responsibilities at an early age.
They’ll probably be screwed and lose all their best players. Don’t think anyone will feel sorry for them.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Dortmund were already predicting losses of €75 million for the season on top of the €44 million loss for the previous financial year. Missing out on the Champions League money next season would be a disaster on top of the same disaster every other club will be feeling.
Of course Champions League money will hit any team hard. I wouldn’t have expected such big losses for Dortmund regardless though. Interesting.

Maybe we should start cheering for their opponents...

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
They'll probably sell one of their superstars.

I'm more concerned about our own journey to qualify, that's certainly not a foregone conclusion.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sancho will leave regardless, Haaland only if they don't get CL. Would be for way more than his release clause the next year so I could see them cashing in. The others will stay.

Crespo

Supports
Bayern
In 2015, the last time Dortmund didn't manage to qualify for the CL, the news got out, they have an insurance against not qualifying for the CL; covering for (some of) their losses. I don't know if they still have that insurance or to what percentage of the drop in revenue it covers.

Btw.: Even back then I didn't like it, since it doesnt only feel weird, but its probably a bad managerial decision in the longer run, since the premiums will be quite enormous and a club like Dortmund should be able to build reserves on their own for this case.

DSG

In 2015, the last time Dortmund didn't manage to qualify for the CL, the news got out, they have an insurance against not qualifying for the CL; covering for (some of) their losses. I don't know if they still have that insurance or to what percentage of the drop in revenue it covers.

Btw.: Even back then I didn't like it, since it doesnt only feel weird, but its probably a bad managerial decision in the longer run, since the premiums will be quite enormous and a club like Dortmund should be able to build reserves on their own for this case.
They get a lot of praise for being a well run club, but their finances are a disgrace. A lot of huge contracts for players that are either past their prime or not delivering the goods. No CL plus pandemic = disaster. They may have to sell Haaland and Sancho just to cover the contracts of Hummels, Reus and Witsel.

croadyman

They get a lot of praise for being a well run club, but their finances are a disgrace. A lot of huge contracts for players that are either past their prime or not delivering the goods. No CL plus pandemic = disaster. They may have to sell Haaland and Sancho just to cover the contracts of Hummels, Reus and Witsel.
I wouldn't be surprised if they got their mojo back in the league after that win last night

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They're 3 points out of top 4 and this thread is made. What am I missing?
if
(ĭf)
conj.
a.
In the event that: If I were to go, I would be late.
b. Granting that: If that is true, what should we do?
c. On the condition that: She will play the piano only if she is paid.
2. Although possibly; even though: It is a handsome if useless trinket.
3. Whether: Ask if he plans to come to the meeting.
4. Used to introduce an exclamatory clause, indicating a wish: If they had only come earlier!

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Couldn’t Emry Can also be an alternative to us? Isn’t he exactly the player we need on our midfield? He is “only” 27y and likely have five more years left on the highest level.
We already have Fred & McTominay who aren’t good enough themselves for the level we aspire to be at. He’s no better so what’s the point? If anything he’s worse.

Haaland & Sancho. Easier said than done though.

troylocker

I think both Haaland and Sancho will leave in the summer if Dortmund fail to qualify for CL. Sancho will leave anyway I think and Haaland will probably leave if RM, City, Liverpool or we pay the 110+ M to avoid the summer 22 auction for him.
It will be interesting to see if Haaland has a CL-clause in his contract.

Dortmund will probably do what the can to hold on the rest and spend their fresh money well.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Zorc has already admitted that not getting top 4 will mean them having to sell. Who that is remains to be seen but my guess it will be Sancho and a couple of lesser lights. Haaland is questionable. I doubt Rose will sanction that

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I think both Haaland and Sancho will leave in the summer if Dortmund fail to qualify for CL. Sancho will leave anyway I think and Haaland will probably leave if RM, City, Liverpool or we pay the 110+ M to avoid the summer 22 auction for him.
It will be interesting to see if Haaland has a CL-clause in his contract.

Dortmund will probably do what the can to hold on the rest and spend their fresh money well.
Knowing Raiola, he’s probably got an insanity clause written in

croadyman

Zorc has already admitted that not getting top 4 will mean them having to sell. Who that is remains to be seen but my guess it will be Sancho and a couple of lesser lights. Haaland is questionable. I doubt Rose will sanction that
Yeah I can't see them selling both in the same summer either

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Dahoud's screamer against Sevilla might prove to be worth a couple of millions

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
They went overboard on youth players. It'll cost them CL-qualification.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
They will sell Sancho either way. I think selling Haaland is unlikely even if they miss CL. The player gets a say too and everything about Haaland’s career so far suggests that the player and his people have a plan for him, want to control his next landing spot, and also see that as a time to maximize wages/negotiations. I don’t think they accept a move this summer unless its his ideal move (whatever that might be). And they don’t accept a move unless the wage is massive, at least as much as he would make had he moved in 2022 for a far lesser fee.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I dont think the CL situation is really about Dortmund needing to sell Haaland - its more about Haaland wanting to stay at Dortmund.

He isnt a player that really needed time to settle in - so Dortmund not giving him the opportunity to test himself in the hardest of scenarios could maybe raise questions in his mind.

On the opposite side he might just finish off his final year at Dormund and aim to win the Europa league whilst being the top goalscorer aswell. Go off with a full bounce of a career ready for the next step, a CL with another club.

Polar

As I already said. He will definitely leave If Dortmund doesn’t qualify. He is very very motivated by playing in CL (watch his interview after last game), and he knows he deserves to compete on the highest level. He has also started to collect CL goals and I don’t think he wants to pause the collection one year. He has likely started to aim for the record already, and he know every year count to achieve his major goal.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I dont think the CL situation is really about Dortmund needing to sell Haaland - its more about Haaland wanting to stay at Dortmund.

He isnt a player that really needed time to settle in - so Dortmund not giving him the opportunity to test himself in the hardest of scenarios could maybe raise questions in his mind.

On the opposite side he might just finish off his final year at Dormund and aim to win the Europa league whilst being the top goalscorer aswell. Go off with a full bounce of a career ready for the next step, a CL with another club.
They are suffering financially due to covid. And if they don’t qualify for CL, it might make their financial situation worse. They might be forced to sell one of their most valuable assets or maybe two. And their most valuable assets currently are Haaland and Sancho. There are not much values on the others at the moment.

Mr.Kaya

As I already said. He will definitely leave If Dortmund doesn’t qualify. He is very very motivated by playing in CL (watch his interview after last game), and he knows he deserves to compete on the highest level. He has also started to collect CL goals and I don’t think he wants to pause the collection one year. He has likely started to aim for the record already, and he know every year count to achieve his major goal.
I think so too, and its fully understandable. Both him and Sancho knows that theyre wanted by most of the biggest clubs. With that team they'll have on their hand I'll be surprised if they dont make top 4 though. They're 6 points behind Eintracht Frankurt on the 4th spot as of now. As long as the likes of Sancho and Haaland specially doesnt get injured, they'll make it. I must say theyre an extremely entertaining side to watch with the likes of Sancho, Haaland and Reus on top. Bellingham in the midfield is also a very very special talent it seems. Also gonna be very interesting to see how far they'll reach in CL this season, think they can upset alot of the big dogs on a day good with Haaland and Sancho on fire.

RRCE

Perhaps ironically, I think this is the biggest reason why United have no chance to get Halaand. He wants to play in the Champions League every year. At this point, we’re just not a perennial Champions League team. He’ll choose a team with a legitimate chance to win the Champions League, not a legitimate chance to qualify for it.

manuchamp88

I have to ask - why on earth do Dortmund have so many wing-backs? Morey, Zagadou, Guerreiro, Schulz, Meunier, Piszczek, Schmelzer, Passlack. All can play either left-back or right-back. And yet, we don't have 1 single player who can seriously challenge Wan-Bissaka for his position (no offence to Williams).

Polar

I think so too, and its fully understandable. Both him and Sancho knows that theyre wanted by most of the biggest clubs. With that team they'll have on their hand I'll be surprised if they dont make top 4 though. They're 6 points behind Eintracht Frankurt on the 4th spot as of now. As long as the likes of Sancho and Haaland specially doesnt get injured, they'll make it. I must say theyre an extremely entertaining side to watch with the likes of Sancho, Haaland and Reus on top. Bellingham in the midfield is also a very very special talent it seems. Also gonna be very interesting to see how far they'll reach in CL this season, think they can upset alot of the big dogs on a day good with Haaland and Sancho on fire.
Agree. A very entertaining team, which I think and hope qualify for next year CL.

Their offensive quality doesn’t stand back for any teams in the world, but defence and perhaps GK is really shit, specially at this moment.

Judas

Open to offers
With us potentially benefiting, I don't see why any Utd fan would want them to qualify for the CL next season. I think they still will, purely due to their attacking quality, but I'd certainly rather they didn't.

RashyForPM

I have to ask - why on earth do Dortmund have so many wing-backs? Morey, Zagadou, Guerreiro, Schulz, Meunier, Piszczek, Schmelzer, Passlack. All can play either left-back or right-back. And yet, we don't have 1 single player who can seriously challenge Wan-Bissaka for his position (no offence to Williams).
Tbf, if they were United players, I’d just label them a waste of wages. They’re all either awful or old, bar Guerreiro who is quality.

LARulz

thats one of the funniest and small time things I’ve ever seen.

this is a club that had Trevor Francis, not a non league team.
Yeah it was silly but he did Birmingham a massive favour. He could have left for free and considering Birmingham's financial situation that would have been a mess, they are poorly run and always close to the edge. He signed a deal with all parties knowing he is leaving just so Birmingham could get a transfer fee than leave for free for probably a higher wage

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
So our dream striker signing is somebody who we believe will want out after missing out on champions league football for a single season?

Suv666

Haaland probably wont leave Dortmund soon. He's thriving there should stay on a couple of seasons. Every top team would roll out the red carpet for him so he shouldn't be in a hurry to move on anyway.

Really naive to think we can land Haaland. He is in the same league as Mbappe in terms of hype. We don't have the clout to sign him unfortunately. City is the only club in the PL who does.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If they don't qualify for the cl they will probably sell haaland and sancho... possibly brandt as well?... and perhaps zagadu if a good offer comes in

If they do qualify for the championseage they will probably sell haaland and sancho... possibly brandt as well?... and perhaps zagadu if a good offer comes in

They need money eitherway and they can probably cope with loosing a cb... brandt does not seem to have clicked there... sancho was available last summer at the right price and the same will be true this summer only with a lower price and they will surely look to sell haaland at a premium before his transfer clause kicks in

Don't see the cl impacting any of that other than if they don't quality they will probably have less to spend on replacements

manuchamp88

Tbf, if they were United players, I’d just label them a waste of wages. They’re all either awful or old, bar Guerreiro who is quality.
Which is surprising as you'd think Dortmund are particularly good at shifting and replacing players.

But yeah, shame Guerreiro isn't a right-back.