If Dortmund doesn’t qualify for CL

RashyForPM

Which is surprising as you'd think Dortmund are particularly good at shifting and replacing players.

But yeah, shame Guerreiro isn't a right-back.
Yeah, and that’s why this is even a thread. Look past Haaland, Sancho and Guerreiro, and they have nothing. Reus and Hummels are declining, and Bellingham will be sold back to England once he becomes top class.

manutddjw

One thing I do know is If Dortmund don’t qualify for the champions league we’ll have some upset Leverkusen supporters on this forum.

Adcuth

Reckon we could get a deal if we sign both Sancho and Haaland at the same time?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Plenty of naivety running through this thread. Which clubs are going to be in a position to buy 50m + players this summer? Not many. Covid has absolutely destroyed the big clubs over last 2 seasons. The magic money tree won't just be turned back on.

They may sell 1 of their stars but I think the summer window will once again be rather conservative from the big clubs. A lot of uncertainty and a lot of lost revenue to make up.

Anyone expecting huge spending sprees from us or any other club will probably end up being disappointed again.

manuchamp88

Yeah, and that’s why this is even a thread. Look past Haaland, Sancho and Guerreiro, and they have nothing. Reus and Hummels are declining, and Bellingham will be sold back to England once he becomes top class.
As an aside, would've loved Reus a few years ago.

To be fair, Reyna is also decent. And with the money they'll get from him and Bellingham, they'll probably uncover another couple of gems even if they miss out on top 4. Not that I'm bothered, eitherway. Wouldn't be my German team due to their Liverpool link and their cockiness last summer re Sancho.

RashyForPM

As an aside, would've loved Reus a few years ago.

To be fair, Reyna is also decent. And with the money they'll get from him and Bellingham, they'll probably uncover another couple of gems even if they miss out on top 4. Not that I'm bothered, eitherway. Wouldn't be my German team due to their Liverpool link and their cockiness last summer re Sancho.
Yeah forgot about Reyna. Dortmund are really annoying. Can’t support them in any way unless they play an English team aside from us in the CL.

croadyman

Plenty of naivety running through this thread. Which clubs are going to be in a position to buy 50m + players this summer? Not many. Covid has absolutely destroyed the big clubs over last 2 seasons. The magic money tree won't just be turned back on.

They may sell 1 of their stars but I think the summer window will once again be rather conservative from the big clubs. A lot of uncertainty and a lot of lost revenue to make up.

Anyone expecting huge spending sprees from us or any other club will probably end up being disappointed again.
Yeah I fully expect us to spend something similar to last summer because like you say which of the big clubs is realistically going to have the money to sign for instance Pogba or Martial so hard to see either of them leaving while the financial situation is so precarious for non oil backed clubs.

Tallis

I think the clubs that don’t really rely on football revenue will still be able to fund big transfers. Case in point Chelsea - who had a big window last season around. City May spend big to get a striker. I feel PSG are due some spending - they may go big too.

croadyman

I think the clubs that don’t really rely on football revenue will still be able to fund big transfers. Case in point Chelsea - who had a big window last season around. City May spend big to get a striker. I feel PSG are due some spending - they may go big too.
Yeah PSG are our only hope of being able to sell Pogba this summer because Juventus & Real have been hit too hard

Scholsey2004

I think its worth remembering that player swaps are still an option for most sides even in poor economic conditions. Most teams have a few players surplus to requirements or who want to leave and positions theyre weak in as well. Theres opportunities there.

jackal&hyde

Sancho will go 100% regardless and for a lot less money then they wanted last summer.

If I'm Haaland, I stay and go the next year on the release clause and pocket a huge fee as well.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If I'm Haaland, I stay and go the next year on the release clause and pocket a huge fee as well.
I think it might depend on if they make the CL (which they probably will).

I suspect he's already targeting Ronaldo's all time CL goal-scoring record so he won't be very happy to sit out a season. Obviously he'll miss out on a higher signing bonus (although that would be somewhat compensated by a season of higher wages than he'd get at Dortmund), but he'll have to decide which one he wants more.

Dortmund would still have to agree to sell though, so it might come down to just how bad their finances are. I expect selling Sancho would be enough so they'd make it very difficult for Haaland to leave early.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
They are 7 points behind Frankfurt on 4th spot. If they fail to reach CL, Watzke can say what he wants but Sancho and Haaland will put transfer request for sure

Infra-red

They are 7 points behind Frankfurt on 4th spot. If they fail to reach CL, Watzke can say what he wants but Sancho and Haaland will put transfer request for sure
There's a good chance for Dortmund to make up some ground on the sides ahead of them this weekend. Frankfurt are away at Gladbach and Wolfsburg have to play Bayern. Dortmund are at home to Bremen (who sit 13th in the table and have lost their last 4 games in a row).

Decent chance they finish the weekend 4 points off 4th with 5 games to play.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Transfer requests are not actually a thing. At least not in Bundesliga.

flappyjay

There's a good chance for Dortmund to make up some ground on the sides ahead of them this weekend. Frankfurt are away at Gladbach and Wolfsburg have to play Bayern. Dortmund are at home to Bremen (who sit 13th in the table and have lost their last 4 games in a row).

Also if you look at Wolfsburgs fixtures they have Bayern, Dortmund and Leipzig in their next 6. Obviously dortmund would have to get into league winning form.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Transfer requests are not actually a thing. At least not in Bundesliga.
Every player has loyalty bonus. When they put transfer request then club don't need to pay that and save millions.
And with request, player shows in public that he wants to go so clubs have "excuse" in front of their fans for selling best players

theklr

Really dont think Haaland will «force» his way out. Dortmund has set their price for him, and as we saw last summer, they dont budge. He could refuse to train, not play any games etc etc, but thats a huge , huge gamble to take .

Unless its a part of a PR machinery that is.

dinostar77

I think its worth remembering that player swaps are still an option for most sides even in poor economic conditions. Most teams have a few players surplus to requirements or who want to leave and positions theyre weak in as well. Theres opportunities there.
There will be more player swaps ala Barcelona and Juventus last yeat with Arthur and Panjic. Easy way to inflate the books and buy you more ffp spending room.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Chelsea only went crazy last Summer as they had a ton of money from a year ban and the Hazard transfer plus others like Morata £50m, Palisic £12m etc. I can't see them going crazy again as they will struggle to sell their excess apart from Tomori.

Infra-red

Borussia M.Gladbach 4 : 0 Eintracht Frankfurt
Wolfsburg 2 : 3 Bayern Munich
Borussia Dortmund 4 : 1 Werder Bremen

TeamPts
Bayern68
RBL61
Wolfsburg54
Frankfurt53
Dortmund49

:smirk:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Borussia M.Gladbach 4 : 0 Eintracht Frankfurt
Wolfsburg 2 : 3 Bayern Munich
Borussia Dortmund 4 : 1 Werder Bremen

TeamPts
Bayern68
RBL61
Wolfsburg54
Frankfurt53
Dortmund49

:smirk:
4pts with five to go is still quite a lot. Especially as they have to play Wolfsburg and RBL. Essentially they're going to need to do something like win 4 and draw 1 at worst. Leverkusen is also only a point behind and have an easier run in.