If Fergie was 10 years younger...

haram

Do people think we would have been able to sign Kane?

I think Sanchez and Bale would be our wide players. Then again, Bale doesn't seem like he even wants to play for United.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Don’t think it would have mattered much, he would have found a way to make us challenge regardless of how we lined up.
This is what I was about to say...the line up could be a bunch of unknown names and we'd still find a way

RedNed77

I actually think he would probably have signed Lukaku. Played the right way Lukaku is a Fergie striker, he's much more similar to Andy Cole/Hernandez/Owen than he is to Jose's ideal striker Drogba. Whilst players like RvP, Cantona & Sheringham were capable of playing as target men, he didn't really utilise them like that. A striker who plays off the shoulder of the CB's, like Lukaku, was usually his preferred option. I also think Lukaku would have thrived with Sir Alex's style of management.

---------------DDG---------------
Valencia, Jones, Smalling, Shaw
------Pereira, Kante, Thiago-----
-----Zaha, Lukaku, Rashford----

It doesn't look the most overwhelming side on paper but Fergie teams rarely did, especially after the CO92 had finished. But it has plenty of homegrown players who understand the league and the club, and it'd be largely a hardworking side with plenty of pace and combativeness. It'd also be much better than we currently are.

Last edited:

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I actually think he would probably have signed Lukaku. Played the right way Lukaku is a Fergie striker, he's much more similar to Andy Cole/Hernandez/Owen than he is to Jose's ideal striker Drogba. Whilst players like RvP, Cantona & Sheringham were capable of playing as target men, he didn't really utilise them like that. A striker who plays off the shoulder of the CB's, like Lukaku, was usually his preferred option. I also think Lukaku would have thrived with Sir Alex's style of management.

---------------DDG---------------
Valencia, Jones, Smalling, Shaw
------Pereira, Kante, Thiago-----
-----Zaha, Lukaku, Rashford----

It doesn't look the most overwhelming side on paper but Fergie teams rarely did, especially after the CO92 had finished. But it has plenty of homegrown players who understand the league and the club, and it'd be largely a hardworking side with plenty of pace and combativeness. It'd also be much better than we currently are.
Schmeichel
Parker Bruce Pallister Irwin
Kanchelskis Ince Keane Giggs
Cantona Hughes

Schmeichel
Neville Stam Johnson Irwin
Beckham Scholes Keane Giggs
Cole Yorke

VDS
Brown Ferdinand Vidic Evra
Hargreaves Carrick Scholes
Rooney Tevez Ronaldo.

Those sides look pretty awesome to me.

Negan

De Gea
Coleman Stones Maguire Shaw
Jorginho Dier Pogba
Zaha Kane Ronaldo

That back four reminds me of a typical old school United defence. Stones and Maguire similar to Pallister and Bruce... Coleman as his new Irwin, Jorginho as the like for like Carrick replacement, Zaha would have been one of our best players since 2013 and of course Kane would have been bought for a world record fee. Ferguson would have got him at any cost. Ronaldo? He would have returned to us years ago IMO. He’d probably be the captain.

That’s how I envision it anyway.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
De Gea
Coleman Stones Maguire Shaw
Jorginho Dier Pogba
Zaha Kane Ronaldo

That back four reminds me of a typical old school United defence. Stones and Maguire similar to Pallister and Bruce... Coleman as his new Irwin, Jorginho as the like for like Carrick replacement, Zaha would have been one of our best players since 2013 and of course Kane would have been bought for a world record fee. Ferguson would have got him at any cost. Ronaldo? He would have returned to us years ago IMO. He’d probably be the captain.

That’s how I envision it anyway.
Explain what Dier is doing there.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
De Gea/Joe Hart
Valencia/Young - Smalling/Tuanzebe - Jones/John Terry/M.Keane - Shaw/kieran tierney
McTominay/Carrick - Winks/Cleverley
Willian/Zaha ————————————- Ba7e/Ben Chillwell
Barkley/Welbeck/Lingard
Kane/Rashford/Wilson​
Substitute: Hernandez, Felleni, others

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Is it only me or are there huge similarities between Sir Alex Ferguson and Klopp? Getting the best out of average players. Being loyal to them to a fault. Recognising the importance of homegrown players. Fostering team unity and a squad pulling together in one directon. There should be more similarities; I mean Klopp hasnt won trophies in England yet but imo he's a similar type of manager.

Canagel

Is it only me or are there huge similarities between Sir Alex Ferguson and Klopp? Getting the best out of average players. Being loyal to them to a fault. Recognising the importance of homegrown players. Fostering team unity and a squad pulling together in one directon. There should be more similarities; I mean Klopp hasnt won trophies in England yet but imo he's a similar type of manager.
Agree. Klopp is the closest one to SAF. The quick counter attacking with a fast front 3 is another similarity.
But klopp doesn't have the trophies - yet.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
If SAF was 10 years younger, he still would have retired. He retired to be with his wife after the passing of her sister.

/thread

poleglass red

Agree. Klopp is the closest one to SAF. The quick counter attacking with a fast front 3 is another similarity.
But Klopp doesn't have the trophies - yet.
Obviously in England he hasn't , but winning back to back Bundesliga titles with Dortmund was/is quite an achievement

Web of Bissaka

Wasn't there another thread made about that just recently and we all posted our lineups into it ?
Yeap, similar thread not long before this, and I think some posters posted their line-up twice on that and this threads.

This thread is currently at 2nd page, maybe mod could merge the two threads so it'll be longer.. and maybe more fruitful.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Thanks for the depressing thread. I would give anything to have a young Fergie managing us again :(
Absolutely anything.
We can only dream unfortunately and be happy that he has recovered from his ill health. To see the great man smiling recently was to me as good as winning the league.

But. There is nothing wrong with dreaming.
He would I am sure give Pep and Jurgen and everyone else a hell of a tough time. Now, they are having it far too easy.

No one was even close to SAF at getting into his rivals heads and sowing seeds of doubt.
I have mentioned before the just seeing him leading United meant to me that anything was possible.

As I said, nothing wrong with dreaming.....

RedNed77

Schmeichel
Parker Bruce Pallister Irwin
Kanchelskis Ince Keane Giggs
Cantona Hughes

Schmeichel
Neville Stam Johnson Irwin
Beckham Scholes Keane Giggs

Cole Yorke

VDS
Brown Ferdinand Vidic Evra
Hargreaves Carrick Scholes
Rooney Tevez Ronaldo.

Those sides look pretty awesome to me.
Great sides and I'm not going to disagree with those names on paper entirely, but there were plenty of periods during Fergie's era where the team looked less than stellar on a standard week, perennial injuries factored in.

EDIT: Furthermore the bolded players were legends for us and have become better with memory in a United fans eyes rather than being worldwide acknowledged galacticos at the time. Most of them weren't even regular internationals.

Last edited:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Great sides and I'm not going to disagree with those names on paper entirely, but there were plenty of periods during Fergie's era where the team looked less than stellar on a standard week, perennial injuries factored in.

EDIT: Furthermore the bolded players were legends for us and have become better with memory in a United fans eyes rather than being worldwide acknowledged galacticos at the time. Most of them weren't even regular internationals.
Andy Cole? You can’t be serious surely?

Below is the top 5 Premier League scorers of all time with penalty goals deducted as Cole never took them.

He is literally 17 goals from being at the top.

Shearer 204
Cole 187
Rooney 185
Henry 152
Lampard 145

I didn’t bother doing it for all of the top 5 goal scorers, but minus free kick goals, look at the Premier League top scorers from open play.

Andy Cole 187
Alan Shearer 187

Andy Cole was fecking brilliant.

Mainoldo

Let me give this ago.

—————-De Gea

Rafael Smalling Umtitti Shaw

Lingard Kante Carrick Zaha

————-Bale—Kane——

We’d be nearly men Champions League challengers.

Panther

Barcelona selling us Messi is as likely as Spurs selling us Kane to be completely honest.

SER19

I think hed have made a move for kane before he skyrocketed. Hed still have paid alot like rooney at the time. Hed almost certainly have started spending high fees once city broke the game but still have been sensible. A few duds im sure. I think smalling would be here and be better for having played in consistent team with protection. Hed have matured well i think. I still think shaw would have been picked up and likes of sane too. Hed never have brought pogba back. Matic feels like a fergie deal. Kante a great shout too assuming leicester unearthed him.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Guardiola will be the 2nd best in the league.
Are you sure? I know SAF is held in high regard but he's never amassed the kind of points totals that one would need to compete with a Guardiola team in a league season. And slow starts which where quite frequent under SAF would see you pretty much out of the title race before January. And in head to head games there was no indication that SAF had an edge of Guardiola, granted the two finals are a small sample size.Pep would have been by far his biggest challenge imo.

I actually think Mourinho, given all the resources he wants would be the best bet;after all, he did manage it with that Madrid side.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Sir Alex would have bought him a few seasons back and made him similar to Carrick.
Dier is massively overrated imo.
I know SAF made a few bad buys in his time but I doubt if he would have bought Dier and I don’t think anyone could turn him into Carrick.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Hmm, won't venture a full line up but I'd say

- More English
- Probably more academy products
- Different Marquee (Bale, not Pogba)
- Adnan Januzaj

Red_Ramirez

Below is the top 5 Premier League scorers of all time with penalty goals deducted as Cole never took them.

Shearer 204
Cole 187
Rooney 185
Henry 152
Lampard 145

I didn’t bother doing it for all of the top 5 goal scorers, but minus free kick goals, look at the Premier League top scorers from open play.

Andy Cole 187
Alan Shearer 187

I loved him.

Had a tough settling period in the first couple of years. Divided fans. Missing sitters and had long spells on the sidelines with a double broken leg and a bout of pneumonia. Was made a scapegoat by the ABU press for losing the league on the last day of the season at West Ham in 1995..(If social media and internet forums had been around back then he would have been absolutely slaughtered)

But once he did settle (around 1997) he was amazing and won over the fans who doubted him. An excellent number 9 and even better team player

RedNed77

Shearer 204
Cole 187
Rooney 185
Henry 152
Lampard 145

Andy Cole 187
Alan Shearer 187

Legend for us, but 15 caps for England and I can't remember anybody ever being linked with him or wanting him.

spe88

DDG
Rafael Smalling VVD Shaw
Zaha Kante Gundogan Welbeck
Bale
Lewandowski

Maccataq

I'm almost certain we would have bought Dele Alli. How we weren't alerted to him when we played against him in the 4-0 humiliation against MK Dons i don't know.

Maccataq

De Gea
Rafael Stones Van Dijk Shaw
Herrera
Pereira Thiago
Rashford Kane Ronaldo​
Nice team but I don't think we would have signed Kane given Fergie and Gill decided not to go in for Modric because they couldn't bare the thought of negotiating with Levy again.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Legend for us, but 15 caps for England and I can't remember anybody ever being linked with him or wanting him.
Caps for England mean nothing.

Also just because no one tried to sign him means he wasn’t a great player? Good thinking :houllier:

No one tried to sign Scholes, does that mean he wasn’t a good player?

Red_Ramirez

A host of clubs wanted to buy him back in '96!

Everton with the most serious interest. Figures like £5-6 million were bandied about

A move may have materialised had Fergie got his man Alan Shearer

Red_Ramirez

Caps for England mean nothing.

Also just because no one tried to sign him means he wasn’t a great player? Good thinking :houllier:

No one tried to sign Scholes, does that mean he wasn’t a good player?
Sorry for being a pedant but Inter Milan made an official approach to sign Scholes in year 2000. Fergie wouldn't have got in his way....

Scholes was having none of it though

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Sorry for being a pedant but Inter Milan made an official approach to sign Scholes in year 2000. Fergie wouldn't have got in his way....

Scholes was having none of it though
Well okay 1 club tried to sign him, still doesn’t mean he wasn’t a great player.

I just find it absurd that someone will try to justify their opinion of a player not being good because ‘no one tried to sign him’.