If Fergie was 10 years younger...

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How do you think we would be lining up now?

Was talking about this in the pub the other night with my mates. Yeah, it's a fantasy, alternate universe type thread, just for fun. If you think it's dumb, instead of posting a smart arse comment, how about just ignoring the thread?

I reckon

De Gea

Coleman - van Dijk - Stones - Shaw

Zaha - Kante - Gundogan - Mane

Kane - Rashford
Shaw was a buy that had Fergie written all over it, and who knows, with his man management he could've been one of the top LB's in the world by now. VVD, Stones, Kante & Mane are all realistic Fergie type signings, before they joined our rivals of course. I actually think we would've gone for VVD while he was at Celtic. Even though Fergie loved Rafael, he was always injury prone, so I think we'd have got Coleman around 2014-15 time. Gundogan is supposedly someone Fergie identified as a potential target, and I can imagine us making the move for him around 2013-14 time. In this timeline, Zaha probably has about 50 caps for England by now and is one of the most feared wingers in Europe. Kane is an obvious one, the great man loved spending big on strikers, and liked to weaken rivals by buying domestic based players.

Andersons Dietician

DDG
Coleman-Hummels-Laporte-Shaw
Kante
Thiago——-Kroos
Bale—-Mbappe—Zaha
Kante makes sense, he probably would have looked at him and would not been able to resist. He always liked Thiago although I wouldn’t be surprised if he would have been heavily after Erikson.
I doubt he would have allowed Bale to go to Real. So much so I wouldn’t have been surprised if he would have just shown up at Bales door offering him a lift to the Airport.

Mbappe and Martial were just because and it would depend if he’d come around to the new world of spending. Special mentions to the likes of Leroy Sane, B Silva, VVD. Carrick would probably still be playing and Giggs as well.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
DDG
Kante
Thiago——-Kroos
Bale—-Mbappe—Martial
Kante makes sense, he probably would have looked at him and would not been able to resist. He always liked Thiago although I wouldn’t be surprised if he would have been heavily after Erikson.
I doubt he would have allowed Bale to go to Real. So much so I wouldn’t have been surprised if he would have just shown up at Bales door offering him a lift to the Airport.

Mbappe and Martial were just because and it would depend if he’d come around to the new world of spending. Special mentions to the likes of Leroy Sane, B Silva, VVD. Carrick would probably still be playing and Giggs as well.

That looks like just about the least Fergie side I’ve ever seen.

Andersons Dietician

That looks like just about the least Fergie side I’ve ever seen.
Why? He played 433 a lot. Players he was heavily linked with in Hummels, Laporte, Thiago, Bale. I’m not sure he’d have signed Martial, probably not but I would have thought there would be serious intrest in Mbappe. Should actually probably replace Martial with Zaha since he was at United already.

Loon

:lol:
Ferguson pretty much told United to buy Kante. He’d be a red now.

WensleyMU

De Gea
Rafael
Rio
Vidic
Evra
Carrick
Anderson
Fletcher
Kagawa
Rooney
van Persie

Because he could

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Why? He played 433 a lot. Players he was heavily linked with in Hummels, Laporte, Thiago, Bale. I’m not sure he’d have signed Martial, probably not but I would have thought there would be serious intrest in Mbappe. Should actually probably replace Martial with Zaha since he was at United already.
One Englishman for a start.

He’d have stuck with Smalling and I think he’d definitely have Lingard in his XI. He’d have pipped Liverpool to Mane too. I don’t see him going for a midfielder like Kante either. I think he would have tried for someone like Koke and he would have broke the bank for Kane 2 seasons ago.

DDG
???? Smalling ???? Shaw
Koke - ????
Mane - Lingard - Rashford
Kane

Darlington Padgett

DDG
Coleman Hummels Marquinhos Shaw
Matic
Pereira Mata
Mane Vardy Martial

We'd be top of the league for sure. I can't believe how lucky we were to have him, a true living legend.

Andersons Dietician

He’d have stuck with Smalling and I think he’d definitely have Lingard in his XI. He’d have pipped Liverpool to Mane too. I don’t see him going for a midfielder like Kante either. I think he would have tried for someone like Koke and he would have broke the bank for Kane 2 seasons ago.

DDG
???? Smalling ???? Shaw
Koke - ????
Kane
I did think he would take players from within the premiership, probably people like Barkley and I left out Kane as I just don’t think he would have been able to get him out of Spurs. Rashford nah not for me, his rise has been somewhat fortunate by the circumstances here and although he’d be in and around the team I don’t think he’d be as prominent and I don’t think Lingard would be either.

Koke has said he isn’t leaving under any circumstances so don’t think that would happen myself, but there is a very good chance he would have still been sticking with Smalling and Jones.

Jonboy

de Gea
Rafael Smalling Stones Shaw
Zaha Kante Kroos Rashford
Alli
Kane

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

DDG
???? Smalling ???? Shaw
Koke - ????
Kane
Lingard would be in his plans, for sure. I think he'd utilise Lingard in a similar vein to how he used Park, never a bonafide starter, but an important member of the squad who plays 30-40 games a season.

el3mel

Wasn't there another thread made about that just recently and we all posted our lineups into it ?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
---- DDG
Rafael-Smalling-Jones-Shaw

Valencia-Pogba-Matic-Young

Lukaku -Rasford
I don't see us buying back Pogba if SAF stays in charge. Not after the way he left, and how he called his agent "a shithead".

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
De Gea; Rafael, Smalling, Jones, Shaw; Zaha, Cleverley, Giggs, Nani; Kagawa, Rashford.

Obviously Rafael, Smalling, Jones, Zaha, Cleverley and Rashford would be maximased in ability and then some (Fergie magic).

Giggs with new contract until 2024 when he's due hibernation for 2 years (we have an option of extra year on that).

Shaw would be Nani legs who, in exchange, would lead Shaw through opposition lines with strict instructions (similar to blind and deaf dog).

Kagawa in ss role with 20 goals and 30 assist every year.

DCP

De Gea, RB, Jones, Smalling, Shaw, Zaha, Kante, Herrera, Bale, Martial, Rashford.

Something like that.

Skills

Snitch
The league would be a lot more interesting that's for sure. Would've been good to see how he responded to Guardiola's gauntlet.

Skills

Snitch

DDG
???? Smalling ???? Shaw
Koke - ????
Kane
Kante I think would right up Fergie's street. A better version of Fletch.

Red_Ramirez

-------------De Gea---------
Valencia--Stones--Smalling--Shaw
-----Herrera-Kante--D.Alli---
-----Zaha----Kane----Lingard-----

Van Persie, Evans, Lingard, Rashford, Jones, Young, Mc Tominay, Welbeck and Rafael would make up the rest of the main squad

Fergie loved Sanchez so if opportunity arose similar to us last January I think he would of went for him as well IMO

Also I think Fergie would've nabbed Dele Alli from MK Dons before Spurs got their mitts on him

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I imagine that it would simply be something like that:

-----------De Gea
Rafael--Smalling-Jones--Shaw
B.Silva--D.Alli--Kanté--Bale
-----Rashford-Griezmann

Lingard and Fosu Mensah would be the main 12th and 13rd players.

Last edited:

Nuts

DDG
Walker Jones Smalling Shaw
Kante Thiago
Martial Sanchez Bale
Kane
I think Kyle Walker, leaving Spurs, would have chosen us over City if Fergie was still around. And I think he'd have loved signing Sanchez - nicking him off Wenger and he'd have got good results from him...

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
De Gea
Rafael Smalling Jones Shaw
Moura Kante Thiago Bale
Kane Rashford

Subs: GK, Evans, Young, Valencia, Lingard, Welbeck, Kagawa

Reserves: Giggs

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
De Gea
Coleman - Smalling - Stones - Robertson
Kante - Cesc
Zaha - Barkley - Bale
Kane
Probably wouldn't have got Kane though and could easily have Sanchez for Bale.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don’t see him going for a midfielder like Kante either.
He did describe Kante as by far the best midfielder in the PL just a few months before Kante went to Chelsea. In a way it would be weird if he thought that and didn't go for him, though SAF and midfielders....

stevoc

DDG
Kante
Thiago——-Kroos
Bale—-Mbappe—Zaha

I could be wrong but i can't remember Ferguson ever playing two inverted wingers, he'd most likely switch them.

Zlatattack

I think he'd have signed Shaw and Coleman. Zaha would definitely still be here and maybe Bale too, he looked a typical Fergie signing.

I'm not sure we'd have Kane though. He's a very Fergie type signing but I reckon he'd have moved on Rooney and replaced him with Lewandowski or Falcao to replace him.

I think we'd have looked like this...
DDG​
Coleman Smalling Stones Shaw
Kante Fabregas​
Bale Kagawa Zaha
Lewandowski​

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

I'm surprised so many have picked Rashford. He'd be nowhere near a Fergie team.
What makes you say that? Fergie was renowned for putting faith in the clubs talented academy products. He gave Welbeck over 100 games for us. I think he absolutely would've used Rashford.

Denis79

De Gea
Rafael Smalling Stones Shaw
Zaha Drinkwater Kagawa Young
Kane Hernandez

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Ronaldo would've come back probably. Wasn't it reported recently that Fergie told Evra that summer the deal was 99% done so presume the groundwork was done and he assumed Moyes and Woodward would get it over the line....

Seems like Fabregas was a target aswell. I have a feeling he'd have gone for a forward like Cavani to replace RVP/Rooney although can't remember if he'd already gone to PSG by that point.

Would've been a few random signings aswell of course. Let's say Jonjoe Shelvey as an attempt to replace Scholes!

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Rashford wouldn't have played anywhere near as many games as he has because SAF would have bought top strikers and wingers in with the money LVG wasted.

starman

Think he would have tried to sign these

.....................De Gea..........
Trippier....Van Dijk...Alderweireld.....Shaw
........................Kante.............
.......Kroos...................Barkley
Bale................Kane .............Sanchez

Rest of squad
Romero (think he still ends up here if was a scout pick)
Young
Jones (As utility player)
Smalling
Rafael
Maguire
Maddison (Seemingly not even on our radar but hes probably the player out of everyone I have most belief Fergie would have gone for)
Doucoure
Ramsey
Zaha
Vardy
Rashford

Last edited:

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Rashford wouldn't have played anywhere near as many games as he has because SAF would have bought top strikers and wingers in with the money LVG wasted.
Yeah, would have hated his guts.

Sir Alex said:
Rashford is an example of what I think is Manchester United.

They are the one club in England who will always identify a Rashford and give a young kid a chance - there is no better club in England at giving young kids a chance.

Rashford is a sensation and one of the best in years.
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/f...Ferguson-Man-United-sensation-Marcus-Rashford

manutddjw

I don’t think we would’ve had a choice but to have Rashford. I toyed with the idea of putting Kane in my team above as well, but even though I think we would’ve went after him after his first good season, I think we would’ve been put off by his price tag. I’m just looking at strikers available at the time and there weren’t many good ones to begin with and the good ones were out of reach. I’m thinking we squeeze every last drop out of RVP, get Falcao on loan and use Hernandez and Welbeck. Rashford would emerge and probably be the best of the bunch.