If Mourinho's authority and ideology were given more backing, would we be challenging?

matt10000

he will get a big job before you know it. Don’t worry. I know you’re counting the days he is without a job but I don’t think he is worried like you are about him landing the next job.
After a £24 million payout I don’t think I would be either!

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I'm sorry I'm still laughing myself silly here. What a joke. It was so poetic. :lol::lol::lol:
404 errors are pretty common for dynamically generated URLs, but of course, you still could have used the thread tools...

Still waiting for the point I was supposed to refute in your ramblings. Let me know when you find it. Asking for a friend.

Suedesi

This has been discussed so many times that I REALLY don't want to go there again. However, he WAS backed for his first two seasons (two seasons which brought progress) but when the summer of 2018 and the time to really push on for the title came the board dropped a bollock.

Fred (which is now rumoured Mourinho never wanted), Dalot and Lee Grant is a pathetic summer window for a club like United. Especially if the ambition is to challenge for the title.
Whom did Liverpool buy this summer? Why are they suddenly challenging for the title?
Why did Pochetino easily retain CL football and reach the final without ANY backing the previous summer?

Is Mourinho merely a chequebook manager? Seems to be the case.

Vernon Philander

Whom did Liverpool buy this summer? Why are they suddenly challenging for the title?
Why did Pochetino easily retain CL football and reach the final without ANY backing the previous summer?

What nonsense are you talking about. You're isolating this Summer for 2 teams whose first team were already very good. Mou never had a good starting point for comparison.

Suedesi

At the time i didn't get it but now i'm awake, i guess. In his first season the club signed one of the best players in France, Italy, Germany and an expensive young centre back. In the second season another centre back, a premier league winning midfielder and top of of that a proven goalscorer who United overpaid for. Half the season through one of the best players from the Bundesliga who flopped dearly was exchanged for one of the best players in England.

Because most of them didn't live up to the hype so i get why Mourinho wanted most of them gone. City, Real or Barca could've done it, but you still would have to question why it all went so wrong. It could've been done so much more with the new players and more importantly with the money. All around the globe clubs sign good players for under 10 mil. each, only at United the cheaper ones come for about 20 mil and most of them turn out to be shit, talk about mismanagement.

I like Mourinho as a person and enjoyed his pressers till the end but the job he's done wasn't one of a special one.
Till today i don't get why he threw it all away. At the beginning he said that 'ancient clubs are for the best managers' has to be a joke what happened.
19m payoff

Suedesi

What nonsense are you talking about. You're isolating this Summer for 2 teams whose first team were already very good. Mou never had a good starting point for comparison.
We finished joint fourth and won the FA Cup when Mourinho came. Our squad wasn't that awful to begin with.

Since then, he bought the best player in France, the best player in Germany, one of the best in Italy and a young CB.
The following season, he bought another CB, a premier league winning midfielder and a striker we overpaid to get ahead of Chelsea.
Then he swapped one of the players he bought that didn't work out with the best player in England.

Notwithstanding Fred and Dalot, he brought 7-8 players new players at the club.

How many fecking players does he need to make a fecking difference? An entire new starting 11? I concede he wasn't backed like Pep (well who is?), but that's no excuse for his shitshow the third season. Spurs/Liverpool operate with bigger constraints and their managers have much more to show for than Mourinho did at United. Mourinho downed his tools, period.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yeah man, those teams had lots of 'ERITAGE'

fecking numbkull of a manager

Almost relegated Chelsea too
Do you know what else I find funny about all this? The fact that Jose apologists like to imply things were so much better while their fearless leader was at the helm, yet conveniently forgetting that we were on a downward spiral towards relegation before he got sacked.

Who knows where we'd be right now had he not got kicked out of the club when he did.

steffyr2

Deja vu all over again! And then someone will mention Porto....
Why is to hard to say --great manager but didn't work out?

Suedesi

Deja vu all over again! And then someone will mention Porto....
Why is to hard to say --great manager but didn't work out?
He was a great manager once upon a time, maybe the game passed him by. Just like great players, managers can lose it.

He's been fired from his last three jobs. Maybe that's more relevant than what he did 20 years ago?

Real Madrid broke him.

Ekeke

He was a great manager once upon a time, maybe the game passed him by. Just like great players, managers can lose it.

He's been fired from his last three jobs. Maybe that's more relevant than what he did 20 years ago?

Real Madrid broke him.
This is what I always thought. He had that 1 successful season at Chelsea after but even then he didnt seem the same personality wise. Before he was like a star of the squad and taking the blame anytime his team were disappointing, shielding them from criticism and pressure.

At Chelsea the 2nd time when it started falling apart he started blaming everyone but himself. Accused people of stabbing him in the back and so on. He brought the same attitude to United, blaming everyone else instead of doing what he used to do.

meninred

I don't Understand while we have to look back.It is like going back to black and White TV.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
19m payoff
Don't think he cared about money, some years back there was an article where he stated that he's already got enough and houses for his two children have been secured. Now he's sitting around and saying that he's waiting for the right opportunity but a job like the United one might not come around. Doesn't make sense to me.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Do you know what else I find funny about all this? The fact that Jose apologists like to imply things were so much better while their fearless leader was at the helm, yet conveniently forgetting that we were on a downward spiral towards relegation before he got sacked.

Who knows where we'd be right now had he not got kicked out of the club when he did.
I don't think I've read one single post saying that. Please post some evidence in case I'm wrong.

What you will find is plenty of evidence and hypothesis about the circumstances which triggered that downward spiral; ie the REASONS WHY it happened. And I've seen no credible rebuttals against those.

And I agree, who knows where we'd be if Woodward hadn't sabotaged Mourinho and his objectives.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Raineri with Leicester has achieved more than Mou's United. They still sacked him the next season. Surely our fans aspiration should be higher than Leicester's.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I don't think I've read one single post saying that. Please post some evidence in case I'm wrong.

What you will find is plenty of evidence and hypothesis about the circumstances which triggered downward spiral; ie the REASONS WHY it happened. And I've seen no credible rebuttals against those.

And I agree, who knows where we'd be if Woodward hadn't sabotaged Mourinho and his objectives.
You mean Woodward was reluctant to entrust Mourinho with another £200 million after he squandered the previous £450 million on useless dross.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
You mean Woodward was reluctant to entrust Mourinho with another £200 million after he squandered the previous £450 million on useless dross.
That’s your subjective opinion.

The fact is that squad came 2nd with enough points to win the league in many previous years, and will be our best performance since SAF for at least a few more years. Same sqaud that went unbeaten for 25 games. Same squad which was consistently making into cup finals. Upwards progress on every attribute.

And the fact that we’ve then used some of those funds on a player Mourinho also would have taken.

You know all of this.

Am also waiting for evidence on your first point on ‘forgetting about downward spiral’.

Last edited:

matt10000

The manager who signed Dalot, Mikhi, Sanchez, Lukaku, Bailly, Matic and Fred just needed... more money.
Yes more money. Everyone agrees we need to invest more in the squad. It is just a case of whether you think Mourinho should have been allowed to spend that money having won Europa and coming second or whether we should have decided to not which inevitably lead to the events that unfolded paying lit £24 million and hiring a new manager to spend that money.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I think any manager would do better with unlimited backing yes. However look at his signings, how many have been worth it? He spent like 400 million how many players performed to their level? Lukkaku had a decent first season, terrible 2nd. Now sold. Sanchez on loan. Mikhi gone. Bailey discarded. Fred? Dalot? Pogba great at his best but so inconsistent and Mourinho was looking to force him out anyway. Lindehof has been sort of decent.

But yeah I think he should have been backed with Maguire etc. However he has no excuse for behaving the way he did

lsd

The Oracle
I think any manager would do better with unlimited backing yes. However look at his signings, how many have been worth it? He spent like 400 million how many players performed to their level? Lukkaku had a decent first season, terrible 2nd. Now sold. Sanchez on loan. Mikhi gone. Bailey discarded. Fred? Dalot? Pogba great at his best but so inconsistent and Mourinho was looking to force him out anyway. Lindehof has been sort of decent.

But yeah I think he should have been backed with Maguire etc. However he has no excuse for behaving the way he did

Yes but it's hard to back someone who got it wrong as much as Jose did. When ypu have wasted as money as he did its understandable that the board would be hesitant to let him waste more

kidbob

LVG was the one to back in hindsight. Jose had us hoping for a miracle against top sides whereas LVG had us playing toe to toe and often winning. Easier to sort out beating the lower teams than the top ones. Perhaps with the right players and trial and error we would have found the way.

United fans need to hope we never accept the football that Jose plays unless he has Ronaldo while playing in a 2 team league.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
LVG was the one to back in hindsight. Jose had us hoping for a miracle against top sides whereas LVG had us playing toe to toe and often winning. Easier to sort out beating the lower teams than the top ones. Perhaps with the right players and trial and error we would have found the way.

United fans need to hope we never accept the football that Jose plays unless he has Ronaldo while playing in a 2 team league.
Lvg back and side ways passing was so boring. And most of his signings were terrible as well. We simply haven't a great manager in their prime since Saf.

kidbob

Lvg back and side ways passing was so boring. And most of his signings were terrible as well. We simply haven't a great manager in their prime since Saf.
Oh amen with that mate. It's just if I had any post Fergie manager to pine for it'd him. Like I said it was awful but at least he had a 'style'. Funnily enough he'd probably have benefited the most from having a DOF.

Fully Fledged

What you will find is plenty of evidence and hypothesis about the circumstances which triggered that downward spiral; ie the REASONS WHY it happened. And I've seen no credible rebuttals against those.

Seriously? Really? You believe that Woodward deliberately fecked up the club that he is paid a mega tonne of money to run just to make his subordinate(who he could of sacked any time he wanted) look bad. Seriously? Okay if you say so. :houllier:

Chairman Steve

I wanted Jose out as soon as I knew the results were going bad and he was just going through the motions waiting to leave, because for whatever reason the board decided to not give him money to spend, even though they gave him a new fecking contract a few months before.

If it was because we wanted to improve the football or we’d decided on how we were going to do things like buy more younger players again and don’t go for peak age players and marquee names... then fine. It was stupid they gave him that contract but if they were going to do that then fine.

But as time has gone on, it looks even more stupid because we have plumped for the interim guy who had the honeymoon period to end all honeymoon periods then went downhill after we appointed him permanently. What happened to the full, formal review of the situation as OGS worked away? Where’s this Director of Football who was supposed to come in before the new permanent manager came in? What was all that shit about Fletcher and Rio being approached but never happened?

Once again, Woodward and the board have no fecking plan whatsoever. Don’t give me that shit about Utd have to go on this long journey to find the right fit DoF/manager for them... The way the likes of Gary Neville go on about it they just want an exact clone of Ferguson or Busby... well good luck with that. Also Man Utd is not some unique sacred deity that has to handled only by the purest of pure... we’re a football club like every other football club so enough with this sanctimonious mentality