If Mourinho's authority and ideology were given more backing, would we be challenging?

UncleBob

After finishing 2nd he was not backed. He was denied the chance to add width and players that coukd build play from the back. You are not being honest.
not backed.

And you dont even understand how he likes to build the attacks either, mint.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
After finishing 2nd he was not backed. He was denied the chance to add width and players that coukd build play from the back. You are not being honest.
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/fuenfjahresvergleich/wettbewerb/GB1

Look at that table and tell me I am not being honest. By the time he’d got second (after spending 300 million net and having two players smash the wage bill on a free) you’re claiming he only had ONE player to play the system he wanted. Why on Earth would he be given more when every single example of a player he signed didn’t fit his system (apart from Lindelof) according to you?

Bobski

Cop out. Liverpool were behind us the entire season. The excuse that they were concentrating on the CL is a crap one. The fanbase turned on him because they thought the team could be playing better football and that his tactics were holding the team back. Again proven to be false.

A team that consists of Young and Valencia as fullbacks, has no width, no delivery, has no players able to build play properly (apart from maybe Lindelof) is not a finished one. So to stop backing a manager after he finishes 2nd is stupid.
Liverpool were behind but were clearly heading in the right direction in terms of style of play. 2 years into the Mourinho project, with plenty of money spent, and there was virtually nothing worth retaining in terms of development on pitch. Second was meaningless.

haram

The only way you could argue that Jose needed more money is if you can look at his signings and say “wow they were working out well”. They weren’t. They were all shit. Pretty much to a player they were all shit.
We finished 2nd. So to an extent they were working. For example, if you have a player like Lukaku but no width or delivery you are in trouble. Of course after that season the manager was not backed.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ignorant is acting like the board backed Jose after finishing 2nd.
Or acting like he wasn't backed when he signed almost entire first team and played football that even Stoke City would be ashamed of.

Or assuming the player wants to play for Jose when players himself said they rejected the move.

Or completely ignoring why everyone at the club had doubts about him when he kept on picking fights with everyone.

haram

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/fuenfjahresvergleich/wettbewerb/GB1

Look at that table and tell me I am not being honest. By the time he’d got second (after spending 300 million net and having two players smash the wage bill on a free) you’re claiming he only had ONE player to play the system he wanted. Why on Earth would he be given more when every single example of a player he signed didn’t fit his system (apart from Lindelof) according to you?
Our home record was very good. Our away record was bad. We needed players to help the way we built and transitioned play especially away from home. Heading into the 3rd season that’s what the focus should have been but the board did not back him. I never said he only had one player to play the way he wanted either.

Johan07

The board did not agree to signing his other wide targets. They said they could sign Alexis and he agreed to it, because why wouldn’t he? In terms of player contracts in general, it is not Jose’s fault someone like Martial is offered 250k is it?
Well, absolutely, he could have said no and chosen to spend those wages on two or even three younger players with potential. Do you even know what our BOD looks like? If you think that any of those people has any input on footballing decisions you are delusional. Mourinho knew very well what he was doing and it backfired . I dont know if I blame him that much, I think everyone in here thought that Sanchez would be a great signing. Turns out he did not and that is on Mourinho and no one else.

Greck

I'd actually like to see a poll on which of our previous managers' ideology we'd give more backing or time. Imo I'd rather LVG's over Jose any day

haram

I'd actually like to see a poll on which of our previous managers' ideology we'd give more backing or time. Imo I'd rather LVG's over Jose any day
I dont think people even understand Jose's ideology. People will run with narratives and cliche’s. Through everything I am only more certain that Jose was right. I believed in what he was trying to do.

Un4givableB

Mourinho's problem is he picked a fight with Pogba and Martial. Two players important commercially, and at the time, players who enjoyed full support from the fans. He was never going to win that fight but I'm afraid he was right.
Mourinho is a complete control manager within reason, l think he gave Woodward a wishlist of 5 or 6 players/positions he wanted to improve the first team with, bitched & moaned to try force Woodward hand, he would have settled with 3 or 4, he got 1. Then he realized what United under the Glazers are truly about and he decided to bale. He tactically picked the fights that would get him the sack. He was gambling reputation by getting the sack again but the worse OGS does with this group of players the better he looks.

Kemizee

Not this again. Jose was not the right fit for us. His football was atrocious and his comments in certain pressers could not hide his feeling of 'superiority' over our club.

His 'RESPECT' press conference was all about him and not the club. He spent a lot of money on big name signings- Lukaku, Pogba, Sanchez as well as good additions like Matic, Mhiki and Lindelof but yet moaned and moaned about how the let club let him down and didn't support him cos Woodward for once was rational and didn't let him pursue pensioners like Willian, Aldeweireld and Perisic and Maguire who if we are honest is no better that what we already got. At a point, he refused getting the best out of what the players at his disposal and went crazy and sometimes mockingly complimentary about the structure and players of rival teams.

There is no way he would have succeeded . He had to go and Woodward made the right call to sack him.

Kostov

This is incorrect IMO. What happened was that Mourinho signed up Sanchez 4 months early and with that insane contract practically spent his summers increase of the clubs wage budget. He is on record saying that there would be no more offensive signings that summer when he still was salivating over Sanchez.
Then Sanchez turned out to be crap and he went crying to the board for more wage space when they just had permitted him to raise our wage bill to be larger than Citys in February. So they told him to sell to buy which is completely logical and not any sign of "non-backing".
That’s complete bollocks. Mourinho didn’t sign up Alexis the club did, in a potential great deal like many of us thought. And that wage increase is laughable, we just got rid of Mkhi and Zlatan both on high wages, so it practically evened up. We all thought we don’t need attacking signings pal, why is that some kind of beating stick now?

He didn’t go crying for wage space but for needed reinforcements which were blatantly needed. Mourinho didn’t raise our wage bill, incompetent contract renewals did. If a club of our size that is in this dire situation is in need to sell before we buy than God fecking help us. You are spouting absolute nonsense.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Mourinho getting backed ideologically was what led to overhauling our wage structure and bringing in Sanchez. He is a man bereft of ideas, he is one the many has beens this club has tried to bring in and plaster over flesh wounds, he's gone, the club needs to learn its lessons and move on in earnest.
How do we know this wasn't pressure from the top for a marquee signing?

ants7

Only way he could have been successful here is if he would have come in right after Fergie. He would have had his two strong centre backs and Carrick on midfield. I think he would have been able to squeeze a title out of this squad during his usual three year stay

Greck

How do we know this wasn't pressure from the top for a marquee signing?
Because of the billion interviews he gave endorsing the transfer eg Nervous Rashford, sweetest orange, other clubs have special attacking player. Three different interviews just off the top of my head.

Enigma_87

You know who
Its interesting how a DOF seems to be magic solution to all our ills?
Because Woodward is the source of all problems. He already oversaw three managers that he hired and made several high profile blunders. Most likely we won't improve until we get rid of him.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
As unpleasant as it was to see Jose’s style of football, the answer is definitely yes.

Bottom line is he’d get results and ffs he managed to get this shitty team a 2nd place finish in the league last season :eek:

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Because of the billion interviews he gave endorsing the transfer eg Nervous Rashford, sweetest orange, other clubs have special attacking player. Three different interviews just off the top of my head.
So after the decision has been made, manager has to do standard media. What was he going to say? I didn't want him?

Canagel

Mourinho has no ideology. His legacy is here is parking the bus, long balls and failed signings.

Last edited:

Greck

So after the decision has been made, manager has to do standard media. What was he going to say? I didn't want him?
Why ask for evidence if you're just going to turn a blind eye once it's presented? Jose didn't just say what he had to say. He said it in unmistakably delighted terms. He called the Sanchez transfer the juiciest of oranges or something similarly cringy

KristianMackle

Watched the City game and can't believe how far we are from challenging. The fact that 94 points hasn't already wrapped up the league shows what we're up against.

Patrick08

No, he never saw Problem with matic. Snubbed fabinho for Matic and fred who instantly made Liverpool title contenders.

GM K

Ok before I get slated for being crazy here, this is a genuine question.

Jose has been successful when things are done his way - i.e. money and players who submit to him and do all of the tough things he wants them to do.

We can safely say he was reasonably backed in terms of cash, maybe not enough, but decent amount spent. So no complaints there.

However, when players were against him, I do not think the club backed him as a person/ideology/work culture. They should have made their position clear - "manager is the boss, if you do not like him or his style of play, we will sell you no problems. No hard feelings. We only want players who 100% buy into his methods and willing to run through brick walls for him."

The reason I say this is that SAF was more revolutionary in terms of what he changed when he came, and he won a lot less at that stage in his career compared to Jose. But the club backed him and the rest is history. We can probably agree SAF was more vicious in the dressing room too and did not tolerate you once you go against him - Keane, Becks, Ruud are perfect examples. No matter how much you have done for the club.

So, should the club have bought into his approach even more and instead remove the players rather than the manager? Shaw certainly improved once he listened to Jose. Is it unthinkable that our third season would have been different if we backed his authority even more?

Yes!

No doubt about it.

It wouldn't have lasted, we wouldn't have played the most pleasing football but we would have won the premier league in the most ugly manner if necessarily because, well, he is Jose Mourinho. Simple. That's what he does. That's what he is all about.

And with the benefit of hindsight, he was right about many things.

Jose is a prick. He's just a prick who manages to win.

GM K

One day, we will know the true story of transfers at United. But my gut tells me that Jose worked with less than his ideal. His history clearly shows that he is a manager that at least knows how to build winning teams.

And apart from that, I am convinced that if he had sold the players he wanted to sell and bought the ones he wanted to buy, the team would have evolved into a winning one even with Matic, Lukaku, Fred and Sanchez. If it did not, it would have been a first in his career.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He played a massive role in building the squad to be as unbalanced as it is. That's why he got sacked. He went for Matic instead of someone like Fabinho for 45m. After about half a season he looked shot and like he needed replacing. He wanted Perisic or Willian who are both average but also both were 28/29. I'm sure he played a big part in signing Sanchez. He went for Ibra first summer. You don't build a successful a side to last long term and build foundations for the future if you keep going after 29 year olds who need replacing a year later. Those signings should always come when you have a solid group and a relatively complete squad but just need that bit extra - like what RvP gave us when Fergie signed him. I always maintain that there is no point in buying a stop gap expensive older player who will last 1 year, unless you think that player can put you over the edge to win trophies. If you aren't going to get that, then it's a waste of money with the wages, blocking development of promising players, whatever the case may be. There are always options in the transfer market that are better for the development of your club.

That's what Mourinho failed at. He failed to develop the squad, he failed to build a squad for the long term and he fell out with all of them. His first season was genuinely a good season, but his 2nd summer was woeful and it led to a really bad season performance wise, but one that we grinded out results and had the most bullshit/undeserved 2nd place finish ever. So this season was no surprise. Literally half of this site was completely apathetic by the end of last season and were waiting for him to get sacked and knew this was a wasted season. Nothing hindsight about it. The saving grace to it was Mourinho got sacked before the end of it, we had some good moments before the squad ultimately again proved they just aren't good enough, but back in December, we all saw whoever came in as a free half season and the real business needed to be done in the summer.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
One day, we will know the true story of transfers at United. But my gut tells me that Jose worked with less than his ideal. His history clearly shows that he is a manager that at least knows how to build winning teams.

And apart from that, I am convinced that if he had sold the players he wanted to sell and bought the ones he wanted to buy, the team would have evolved into a winning one even with Matic, Lukaku, Fred and Sanchez. If it did not, it would have been a first in his career.
The problem for Mourinho is that he came to United at the same time as Pep going to City. Pep is a better manager then Mourinho, he wins more trophies, but he also does that while playing brilliant football while all of Mourinho's success has been by playing pretty negatively. On top of that, City have a better structure and know how to build a side, while also they are willing to spend more. So he was never going to out do Pep at City, because he's not as good and had a worse situation. What also hurt Mourinho was that despite all the spending, this league had both Pochettino and Klopp outperforming him while spending less and playing better football. It's nothing to do with his history. His history never included so many top managers with so many clubs who can spend around as much as his club.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Why is this forum so obsessed with the toxic one? Is there a single piece of evidence in the history books to suggest that this guy was the one to create a stable positive atmosphere around the club for many years to come?

Maccataq

Ok before I get slated for being crazy here, this is a genuine question.

Jose has been successful when things are done his way - i.e. money and players who submit to him and do all of the tough things he wants them to do.

We can safely say he was reasonably backed in terms of cash, maybe not enough, but decent amount spent. So no complaints there.

However, when players were against him, I do not think the club backed him as a person/ideology/work culture. They should have made their position clear - "manager is the boss, if you do not like him or his style of play, we will sell you no problems. No hard feelings. We only want players who 100% buy into his methods and willing to run through brick walls for him."

The reason I say this is that SAF was more revolutionary in terms of what he changed when he came, and he won a lot less at that stage in his career compared to Jose. But the club backed him and the rest is history. We can probably agree SAF was more vicious in the dressing room too and did not tolerate you once you go against him - Keane, Becks, Ruud are perfect examples. No matter how much you have done for the club.

So, should the club have bought into his approach even more and instead remove the players rather than the manager? Shaw certainly improved once he listened to Jose. Is it unthinkable that our third season would have been different if we backed his authority even more?
The thing is Fergie earned the control. Fergie had demonstrated he was untouchable with his success and his leadership. Keane or Fergie? Fergie. RVN or Fergie? Fergie, Becks or Fergie? Fergie. There was no question who you'd rather keep, players come and go but Fergie was one of the best managers of all time.

Of course, no-one should undermine the manager and if he lets them he's finished. That was something Fergie knew well and was all too happy to make ruthless decisions.

The problem with Jose is that he hadn't been able to earn this status in his short tenure and player power is a big factor. He was toxic and aired problems in public because his ego dictated that the problems on the pitch needed to be mitigated by highlighting the issues he was facing internally (as opposed to keeping it in house and people doubting his ability). The player power element I refer to is that they are assets and the board do not want to lose them which is a problem in itself but at the end of the day, it's easier to replace the manager than the players. He wanted rid of players that the club had invested big money in and that fit the profile of the club's philosophies, i.e. young and attacking. The other part of the problem is that Jose's style of football and his confidence in playing young players was against the club's philosophy as were many of his reported transfer targets. The club ultimately were right not to back him on this basis but this does not absolve them from blame, far from it. As soon as they weren't willing to back him they should sack him, i.e. last summer, but they weren't going to to that and no manager at that level is going to walk and forego a payout. The club should back their manager but it is clearly a problem that the club has made a poor appointment in the first place (at least in terms of getting the right fit for the club) so the answer to your question is far from simple. They should've bought into his approach but they should never have hired him.

Ole now has the luxury of the players having nowhere to hide and the club should back him whatever he decides, at least in terms of moving players out. He has the opportunity to be ruthless and we'll all be a lot happier if we see the team giving their all for the shirt, it's the minimum we ask.

RyRy11

As usual people jump in and miss the point....

Jose might have been given some money and allowed to choose some of the players but clearly, in his 3rd season in particular, our Board did not buy into what Jose wanted to do

What most posters will NEVER understand about football is the importance of the collective. Mlst posters experiences of football management come from Championship Manager or FIFA where players are ranked on their attributes and its simply a case of choosing the best rated

Its safe to assume that there are a handful of special players in the world. Messi, Ronaldo....potentially a few others. Beyond that, there are literally thousands of footballers who on any given day in any given team are broadly similar in terms of raw ability.

The key to a successful team is NOT necessarily trying to identify the eleven men who are best at kicking a football around on a training pitch. Its about identifying players with the right attitude, hunger, desire, will to win, determination, bravery, confidence and mental resilience AND even more importantly, bringing these players together as a collective unit that operate as a sum greater than their parts. Jose mastered this, in particular at Inter and Porto. Klopp and Pep have now mastered this at Liverpool and City.

What we have is a collection of players who have been thrown together. Some have the talent but not the mental attributes. Some dont have the talent. Many of them just don't complement each other on the football pitch in terms of style. They actually combine to be LESS than the sum of their parts

Until we have football men running the club, who appreciate the above, we can throw all the cash we like at individuals, we are going nowhere. Jose understood this. LvG understood this. I think Ole and Mike Phelan understand it. The problem is, I am not sure the real decision-makers do
The best post I’ve read all season. We won’t go anywhere until the decision makers change. How a top football club have to got into this mess is beyond belief.

hn4manunited

Thank goodness we still have a few sensible posters in this thread who are tirelessly trying to point out that the problems at our club is still here and it is with our hierarchy. The Jose haters just can’t see beyond the person. There is a bigger issue here! People, see it! It is clear to see, just see beyond the person called Jose.

redmanx

Mourinhos gone, for better or worse, its time to move on, Oles in charge now and we should focus on giving him and the club all our support.

spiriticon

Why are there so many threads with his name on it?

He's history. A failure at this club.

Let's wipe him from our minds and move on.

Canagel

Or acting like he wasn't backed when he signed almost entire first team and played football that even Stoke City would be ashamed of.

Or assuming the player wants to play for Jose when players himself said they rejected the move.

Or completely ignoring why everyone at the club had doubts about him when he kept on picking fights with everyone.
Some list of players that had moved in his tenure to our rival:
Sane, Gundogan, Silva, Mahrez, Robertson, Mane, Salah, Fabinho.
Fabinho and Matic have cost the same
VVD and Lukaku have cost the same.

Mourinho supporters: Klopp was backed, Mourinho was not backed :lol:. Shameless

Sauldogba

Was he backed yes.
Was he backed enough or like he should have been no.
Do you want to know how great (gulp) clubs back their managers.
Clubs with direction and a plan back their managers?
They sign players like Nolito and Bravo and a a season later show them the door when they realize they aint good enough then sign someone else.
They also dont create a conflict of interest by going against the manager to keep players the manager doesnt want.
They also dont renew contracts of duds and make them surpluss to requirements.
Something that our board doesnt know how to do.

Point is all clubs sign duds.
Pep has done a few times but the boards of the clubs he goes to has no hesitation to get rid then back him further.
People really dont understand how bad our squad was before mourinho got here and it needed work which also needed time.