IF ole and woody were still in place, how different would our transfer targets be?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Okay, so how is Maguire "indefensible"? He had a solid opening season when our defence became the 3rd best in the league after leaking goals left and right in 18/19 without him and AWB. After that, we brought in some players pretty late and basically only Telles and Cavani were new first teamers, but we still collectively improved and Maguire played a major part in that, being one of the best PL defenders along with Dias..especially with van Dijk's long-term injury, there weren't many better centre backs in the league. He topped it off with a great EUROs...then 1 abysmal season followed and now he's become indefensible? Even throughout his good periods all that was needed for him to be crucified on the internet is 1 mistake... :lol: The agenda against him is unreal...The only thing I have against him is that he's captain, he's obviously not cut out for that and I would give it up if I were him. But other than that he's still a class CB and arguably our best defender coming off of a career-worst season where the whole team was collectively utter shite...how does that make him indefensible? I swear if he wasn't English and his appearance was different he would be treated so differently...

As for AWB, I thought he could improve and become a very good player for us but it never really happened and his off pitch stories don't paint a good picture either so I can't wait for him to go. Lingard should've been gone a long time ago along with Pogba. Same with Jones. So I guess we can agree on those 3.

I wonder if people would admit they were wrong if Maguire, McTominay, Shaw and Rashford all became key players under EtH and we started winning major trophies...because the agenda against these 4 is laughable at this point. All of them proved their worth in a functional team.
Look I hope that Maguire can get back into the form that he did his first 2 years. But last year shocked me, he became a quivering wreck at the first sign of a little mistake. I will wait and see if he can turn it around before trying to defend him again.

the others you listed I’ve never thought that they are as bad as they are made out. They may look very different under a new coach. Rashford needs to take his head out of his ass and get back to the basics that got him a good reputation. Time will tell.

AWB made progress his first 2 years but last year was awful. All the form and off the field rumours don’t bode well for someone who should be focused on improving his football

Rojofiam

Look I hope that Maguire can get back into the form that he did his first 2 years. But last year shocked me, he became a quivering wreck at the first sign of a little mistake. I will wait and see if he can turn it around before trying to defend him again.

the others you listed I’ve never thought that they are as bad as they are made out. They may look very different under a new coach. Rashford needs to take his head out of his ass and get back to the basics that got him a good reputation. Time will tell.

AWB made progress his first 2 years but last year was awful. All the form and off the field rumours don’t bode well for someone who should be focused on improving his football
Yeah, sorry for randomly listing players like McT, Rashford and Shaw but I wasn't necessarily talking about you there. Just that lately there's been so many fans saying the most surreal shit just based off of last season & conveniently forgetting the previous 2 before that.

Robertd0803

We would spend all summer chasing Rice in the press when in reality we would have offered West Ham 60million and Lingard (renewed contract of course) only to be told 120 million by West Ham and dropped our interest straight off.

We would have watched Phillips sign for City for 42 million after turning us down.

Christ knows who we would have actually ended up with.

ddg01

We would be in the championship. So it would be more about managing departures. :smirk:

IRELANDUNITED

Rice would be our main target and Woodward would be pushing for Neymar.
100% this. Mind you I would love to have Rice here. I can see him being our main target next summer. Imagine a midfield of Rice - De Jong - Bruno

Red the Bear

Something less generic
We would be pining for rice and potentially cough up as much as 100 mil for him.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yeah, sorry for randomly listing players like McT, Rashford and Shaw but I wasn't necessarily talking about you there. Just that lately there's been so many fans saying the most surreal shit just based off of last season & conveniently forgetting the previous 2 before that.
Oh I get that. Believe me we’ve been battling negative toxic posting since the silly season started

b82REZ

Halaand would have lead us down the garden path before going to City.

We would have spent the summer low balling West Ham for Rice before likely spending way over his value in the last few days of the window.

Signed Dembele on a free to replace Greenwood.

He probably would have renewed a few contracts of those that left on frees.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Okay, so how is Maguire "indefensible"? He had a solid opening season when our defence became the 3rd best in the league after leaking goals left and right in 18/19 without him and AWB. After that, we brought in some players pretty late and basically only Telles and Cavani were new first teamers, but we still collectively improved and Maguire played a major part in that, being one of the best PL defenders along with Dias..especially with van Dijk's long-term injury, there weren't many better centre backs in the league. He topped it off with a great EUROs...then 1 abysmal season followed and now he's become indefensible? Even throughout his good periods all that was needed for him to be crucified on the internet is 1 mistake... :lol: The agenda against him is unreal...The only thing I have against him is that he's captain, he's obviously not cut out for that and I would give it up if I were him. But other than that he's still a class CB and arguably our best defender coming off of a career-worst season where the whole team was collectively utter shite...how does that make him indefensible? I swear if he wasn't English and his appearance was different he would be treated so differently...

As for AWB, I thought he could improve and become a very good player for us but it never really happened and his off pitch stories don't paint a good picture either so I can't wait for him to go. Lingard should've been gone a long time ago along with Pogba. Same with Jones, although for different reasons. So I guess we can agree on those 3.

I wonder if people would admit they were wrong if Maguire, McTominay, Shaw and Rashford all became key players under EtH and we started winning major trophies...because the agenda against these 4 is laughable at this point. All of them proved their worth in a functional team.
Of those four, I still think there is a good player in Scotty McT waiting to get out. And I realise I will get abuse for saying so. Shaw and Rashford have shown they can be good but have gone backwards again and I'm not sure if they can find momentum again at Old Trafford. I'd love to be wrong about Maguire butI don't see that happening

Rojofiam

Of those four, I still think there is a good player in Scotty McT waiting to get out. And I realise I will get abuse for saying so. Shaw and Rashford have shown they can be good but have gone backwards again and I'm not sure if they can find momentum again at Old Trafford. I'd love to be wrong about Maguire butI don't see that happening
Time will tell. If ten Hag really is an elite manager like everything suggests, then I don't see why those 4 players couldn't be key players for a top team.

Laurencio

Rice, Tielemans and Dybala I reckon. Woodward would also be all over Neymar.

Buzzbee

Has no one said Sterling? I reckon Ole would have been in the bidding for him

DeGea’sFeet

I’ll go out on a limb. If Ole, or especially Woodward, we’re still here we go all out for Darwin. His CL season would have made him a hot ticket item, similar to how RM used to sign the best player from the WC, and beating Liverpool for him would have been good PR in Ed’s eyes.

Declan Rice

start the process to get Jude Billingham as Pogba’s replacement , but probably fail at first attempt.

Trex

We would have given Pogba a fat new contract to keep him like 450k.
We would have made a huge bid for Declan Rice.
We would have pursued another left winger this time Neymar for the clout.

TehRed

I reckon we'd have been after Rice, Dybala, McGinn and Koulibaly.

Probably miss out on Rice and Dybala and end up with some random panic buys instead.

Wouldn't have surprised me if we'd have renewed/kept a few that have left/are leaving, just for "resale value".

Lee565

Phillips and rice... who am I kidding ole would never buy a midfielder

Eleven-Eighteen

Hmm I counted 2 that we know about
Yeah I was just being snarky cos i'm still salty from last season. If you believe the news, we're losing not only prospects but even current players to Chelsea. I think they'll report next that ETH is going to Chelsea in August

Polar

Ole and Woody are gone, and it’s still same old shit. Expect desperate moves the last week, overpriced or/and profiled player. If we are lucky he may fit into our playing style or strategy:lol:

Ludens the Red

Ole and Woody are gone, and it’s still same old shit. Expect desperate moves the last week, overpriced or/and profiled player. If we are lucky he may fit into our playing style or strategy:lol:
A different kind of same old shit. Gone from marquee names and overpaying for British players to just getting people who at some point played for Ajax. It’s early doors but there’s a good chance Murtough and Arnold are feckin idiots.