If Ole is unsuccessful as United manager - Will it impact his reputation for you?

Eli Zee

it's irrelevant. Why would his manager career change how he was as a player?

his reputation as a manager was very very good

Foxbatt

No not for me as a player he was fantastic. As a manager he is hopeless. He is not going to resign. No sane person would do that and lose all the money. He is going to have to be sacked but Ed may sweeten it by saying by mutual consent. He has to win against Everton. I think he may play for a draw and get away with it. Just like he did against Chelsea. Everton is not in good form right now but Ancelloti is a wily old fox and may decide he is going to defend himself to see how we would flounder.

RUCK4444

They’ve always been totally separate for me anyway. I’ve backed him but has never been linked to his playing days.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Absolutely not. His legend status as a player will never change.
I don't think anyone fully blames him for taking this on, who wouldn't?
Eventually his managerial tenure will be remembered for him coming in, doing his best to get us back on track and trying to revive the "United way". Ultimately his tactical ability or lack of it will be his downfall.
I do believe that whoever comes next, will be in a much better position to do well than Ole was though.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Tbf unless he wins us a treble with a dramatic CL win as manager his name will forever and for everyone be remembered above everything else for that priceless goal. This is never going to change.

Shark

@NotShark
Definitely not. As much as I want him replaced at this point, he's done his best and done some good work. It's also not his fault Woodward incompetent fool.

wolvored

Who put the ball in the german net...Ole is a legend as a player. Everytime he came on you expected him to score. As a manager, well lets just say he leaves a lot to be desired. He certainly shouldnt be managing Utd.

OleBoiii

No.

Whatever happens wont affect his player status. He's also one of the most likeable people in the game(based on his public persona, anyways). Unless he suddenly pulls a Mourinho in the media, he can't do anything professionally to make me dislike him.

If he fails I'll be disappointed but move on quickly.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Di Matteo is still quite liked at Chelsea :smirk: Champions League winner perks, Ole's reputation is safe as houses

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
No. Two separate things.

Lewnited

Even if he were to get sacked within the week, I'd still look back on his managerial stint fondly considering the effort required to turn our club around when he first joined.

Lets not forgot that we were pretty much in free fall in December 2018 - a manager mid implosion, young talented players being ostracised and a squad morale as visibly low as I've ever seen. We may not be much further forward now, but we're in a much better state for a manager to take over than we were wo years ago. Also given us some good results along the way, as well as development of some of our players such as Rashford and Martial who seemed to be in limbo when he joined.

With that in mind I think Ole's done all that could have reasonably be expected of him and more as a manager. As a player - nothing changes!

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

Eli Zee

When his name comes up, do you think people won't bring up his managerial stint?
They're separate - I think most people would say "good player, not so good manager." He still brought about some great memorable win streaks

He'sRaldo

For older fans it won't, but I'm guessing it will for younger fans.

criticalanalysis

Absolutely not.

He is out of his depth as Utd's coach but he has also brought a lot of positives/steered the ship and he has respected the club (ethnos, his own conduct etc), its players and even his own boss with genuine positivity.

Obviously his playing days gives him that massive benefit of the doubt and my 'positive' spin on it..

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Even if he were to get sacked within the week, I'd still look back on his managerial stint fondly considering the effort required to turn our club around when he first joined.

Lets not forgot that we were pretty much in free fall in December 2018 - a manager mid implosion, young talented players being ostracised and a squad morale as visibly low as I've ever seen. We may not be much further forward now, but we're in a much better state for a manager to take over than we were wo years ago. Also given us some good results along the way, as well as development of some of our players such as Rashford and Martial who seemed to be in limbo when he joined.

With that in mind I think Ole's done all that could have reasonably be expected of him and more as a manager. As a player - nothing changes!
Good post, this.

Footy van de Geek

I must admit that I don't like Ole the manager at all. Even his press conferences and mannerisms annoy me. But his playing days are a separate from all of this.

I do hope he would have the decency to step down before it gets really ugly. But he seems the driven type and probably knows this is his last chance at the big time. He might find other PL work, but only positions similar to the Cardiff job.

He could suddenly go on a run and prove us doubters all wrong. The evidence suggest no. But Football is a strange sport. You never know.

We shouldn't lose the next 2 games. Let's see. But I would sack him today if I could.

Listar

I’m thinking it would tarnish Woodward reputation if anything. 4 managers, 4 failures.

Footy van de Geek

Tbf, he pretty much undid all of the good work from December to March by producing an equally as terrible end to the season as the beginning. Once we lost against Arsenal on March 10th, it was a complete disaster.

R'hllor

Was wondering since day one, how people can merge Ole the player and Ole the manager, will never know, so dumb.

Siorac

Why would his reputation as a player suffer? Maradona was fecking hopeless as a coach but no one suddenly decided he wasn't that good for Napoli.

Johnson Yip

Totally irrelevant - and if anything, he exceeded all my expectations here given his poor stint in Cardiff. He definitely is moving the club back to the right direction (save for my disagreement on Maguire captaincy and Smalling leaving).

hobbers

Not as a player.

He never had a reputation as a manager to begin with. Another in a long, long line of United greats who turned out to be quite terrible managers. Maybe terrible is the wrong word, but certainly none of them are fit to be managing top sides put it that way.

Cloud7

Absolutely not. Ole the player and Ole the manager are two different entities. Nothing Ole the manager does can ever affect what the player did. Incidentally, that's why I view Ole with a much less emotional lens than a lot of our fanbase seem to. I view him as our manager as a different entity to the player, and thus he started on the same platform that Moyes, Vangle and Jose did for me.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
No.
Still an absolute legend. But as manager, not good enough.

Wilt

Makes no difference. Always a great player, but not good enough to manage Utd

MissKatie

Supports
Northampton Town
Not even a tiny wee bit.

What he did as a player will forever be in my mind as amazing. If he fails as our manager that doesn't change that at all.

Web of Bissaka

I think his stint as United manager will actually improve his manager's reputations.
Success for his career as a manager, but not a success as a United manager.

Yep, people will find it hard to not mention his failed United manager career (this is still premature since he can technically turn things around as last I checked, he's still the manager, even if it's looking very unlikely) just like how his manager career previously is more often than not mentioned alongside his player career.

But not me, it's quite easy to divide the two.
  • Ole as a manager.
  • Ole as a player.

windco

Yes, his reputation is completely tarnished . He will be without a doubt, our worst manager since Sir Alex, worse than Moyes cause the later didn't spend almost 300m and will also be remembered as Glazer ass kisser who never stood out and expose our board. Couldn't careless about how he was as player, even Wes Brown was the bigger legend.

Last edited:

Okey

Not one bit. I'll always love Ole the United legend as a player. Ole the manager was never qualified to be where he is now. He's out of his depth and it's not his fault he's not been let go. Pretty easy to separate the player and manager. Even as a manager I'll always appreciate his efforts in a station that was always way above him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No, he did decent job and gave his best. That's not good enough and it will have no impact on his legacy.

AneRu

Even if he fails his time as manager for me will only enhance him in my eyes because he has done a lot to stabilize us and get us out of the mess Mourinho, LVG and Woodward had landed us in. He was never the man to really take us forward but I appreciate what he had done with the squad.