If Ole is unsuccessful as United manager - Will it impact his reputation for you?

He'sRaldo

It's becoming clear that Ole either has to win something soon, or leave in order to make sure his reputation isn't diminished.

Even someone like Wenger could only trade on past glories for so long, there's no reason why it would be different for Ole.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
It's becoming clear that Ole either has to win something soon, or leave in order to make sure his reputation isn't diminished.

Even someone like Wenger could only trade on past glories for so long, there's no reason why it would be different for Ole.
This. He has to win something, even a league cup.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Because Ole's glory is solely based on his career as a player while Wenger's glory was solely based on his career as a manager.

He'sRaldo

Because Ole's glory is solely based on his career as a player while Wenger's glory was solely based on his career as a manager.
Logically correct. But football is an emotional game.

See how Ole is talked about as people are getting fed up. They'd never say the same had he not taken over our club.

Plymouth Red

No. I have always had a split view of player and manager. Same with others like Keane, Bruce, Giggs, the Nevilles.
All great players. None great managers. Just look back and reflect on their best days, which were wearing a jersey.

JPRouve

Scout
Logically correct. But football is an emotional game.

See how Ole is talked about as people are getting fed up. They'd never say the same had he not taken over our club.
That's not a good argument because we are not talking about an emotional answer but a reflective one. I don't really know a single example of a former player that is judged differently as a player based on his managing career. I'm almost sure that the vast majority of people separate playing and managing careers.

SER19

No. He's already done enough for that not to happen. If it had been an unmitigated disaster then maybe it would diminish him a little bit he's been the first post Ferguson manager to build a good squad, give plenty of exciting moments and although of course he could do better/win a trophy, his love for United is also clear. Is and always will be a club legend.

He'sRaldo

That's not a good argument because we are not talking about an emotional answer but a reflective one. I don't really know a single example of a former player that is judged differently as a player based on his managing career. I'm almost sure that the vast majority of people separate playing and managing careers.
It's not entirely reflective. Ole the player and Ole the manager are still Ole the person. And while Ole the player is looked back on reflectively, Ole the person is still being judged based on his current managerial actions.

One's view of Ole the player will likely not change, but Ole the person will definitely evolve the more he stays at the club. For instance, were he to win us the treble and dominate football ala Sir Alex for the next 20 years, he'd be an even bigger legend than before undoubtedly. Whereas the opposite is true; where people to be strongly convinced that he currently is playing a significant part in our decline, then his reputation as Ole the person would take a hit.

laughtersassassin

No. It is not Oles fault he was given a job he didn't deserve.

He is doing his best. It isn't good enough and he should be moved in but it really is all down to ed and co again

JPRouve

Scout
It's not entirely reflective. Ole the player and Ole the manager are still Ole the person. And while Ole the player is looked back on reflectively, Ole the person is still being judged based on his current managerial actions.

One's view of Ole the player will likely not change, but Ole the person will definitely evolve the more he stays at the club. For instance, were he to win us the treble and dominate football ala Sir Alex for the next 20 years, he'd be an even bigger legend than before undoubtedly. Whereas the opposite is true; where people to be strongly convinced that he currently is playing a significant part in our decline, then his reputation as Ole the person would take a hit.
I see. I don't judge the person, I don't know him.

Greck

Not for me but younger fans already think he only got the job because of 99. Failing here will diminish his legacy among that demographic. Having your name more often come up in discussions about your failures rather than accomplishments as a player is a bit of a downgrade

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Not at all. I'm in the camp of getting rid of him but he'll always be an absolute legend to me.

He's done his best and we would all have wanted it to work out but this isn't Disney despite what Ed says...

Last edited:

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I am amazed that he still thinks he can take us where we belong. For his sake I hope it's supreme overconfidence in his abilities and not just an attempt to cling on to the job for as long as possible. He has had such bad patches with us I thought he would walk and preserve his reputation at the club. But he did not and won't now. Let's see what is the bar he had set for himself this season.

sugar_kane

Based on the level of positive revisionism on these forums for LVG and Mourinho, I don't think Ole has much to worry about long term reputation wise.

Going off some of the comments on here you'd think that under LVG we were a couple of signings away from being Pep's Man City circa 2018.

Eriku

Yes, his reputation is completely tarnished . He will be without a doubt, our worst manager since Sir Alex, worse than Moyes cause the later didn't spend almost 300m and will also be remembered as Glazer ass kisser who never stood out and expose our board. Couldn't careless about how he was as player, even Wes Brown was the bigger legend.
You know Fergie never spoke out against the Glazers? Ole’s got a better record in standing up to them from back in his playing days.

Wes Brown the bigger legend... spoken like someone who sure as shit wasn’t following United back in those days.

Can’t believe nobody offered an incredulous reply to this post. The state of it, Christ...

sugar_kane

Not for me but younger fans already think he only got the job because of 99. Failing here will diminish his legacy among that demographic. Having your name more often come up in discussions about your failures rather than accomplishments as a player is a bit of a downgrade
It's one of the most frustrating things you hear on Twitter etc. when people reference that goal as the reason he is a legend. He played for us for 10 years and is in our top 20 scorers of all time (top 10 if we're counting the modern era ie. Premier League)

He scored four goals in a game, twice - once as a substitute. He brought a lot of happiness to fans in Fergie's golden era.

For me though he'll always be a legend for his first season, came in as an unknown on the back of the disappointment of missing out on Shearer (who was fecking dearer) and finished as our top scorer that season.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
No. He’s taken us forward in my opinion. If he stays far too long then it might though.

TrustInOle

Absolutely not. Playing career and managing career are two different entities. I will always regard Ole as a legend, even if he got us relegated. As a player, there is nothing that can tarnish what he has done for us and the player he was.

As manager, I feel he is taking us in the right direction.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So far, you can see he's trying to do the right things for United. Whether that's good enough or not, that's maybe irrelevant.

Unless he turns into Mou's last season here, no damage whatsoever to his reputation, in my eyes.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Never rated him as a manager in the first place, always felt that he should have left on a high after the season ended when he was the caretaker.

If he never got the job, he would have the balls to drop De Gea who costed us a few points which left us out of the CL.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You know Fergie never spoke out against the Glazers? Ole’s got a better record in standing up to them from back in his playing days.

Wes Brown the bigger legend... spoken like someone who sure as shit wasn’t following United back in those days.

Can’t believe nobody offered an incredulous reply to this post. The state of it, Christ...
He is banned and there is no point replying btw. The guy worships Jose and he didn't know that Jose was full of praise about Glazers and how they understand how the football club should be run.

Le Red

Only if his actions tainted his character. Ole has many limitations as a coach but he's trying his best and at least tried to defend the identity that SAF imprinted upon the club, something his predecessors didn't give a feck about.
So no, to me he's still the same ole club legend we know and love.

Micky Targaryen

To answer the OP: Nope, and it shouldn't.

I will always think of Ole as a vital cog of the club's historical success and look back fondly on Ole's playing service for the club and the memories.

But, that doesn't necessarily translate to me being a fan of his management and coaching. It doesn't mean that he's earned more time to be manager of the club, it doesn't mean that he's a suitable candidate just because he has "United DNA". It doesn't mean that we are not allowed to criticize him and want him out of the manager seat.

It is understandable to be fond of Ole as a player, but not as a manager. And that is something which I think Ole inners are irrationally feeling, which is that supporters will somehow hate Ole altogether when Ole fails as manager.

Lemon Moon

As the title says. Curious if people will be able to separate Ole as a player and Ole as a manager.
Why do you mean by 'unsuccessful'?

I think his initial target set by the club was to get us back in the champions league & get rid of the deadwood - Change the feeling at the club for better.

He successfully achieved this last season. More or less. There's still some deadwood that needs clearing out but Ole has done a good job so far.

It's possible we should have parted ways with him as manager at the end of last season?

If he failed to achieve CL last season & failed to get rid of the likes of Sanchez, young, Darmian etc. In my opinion he would have been unsuccessful & yes I would have wanted him to leave the club as manager. But I'd always adore him as a player for us.

Olecurls99

He'll always be a legend in my eyes because of his playing days.

Despite my feelings towards him as manager I know he makes all his decisions with the clubs best interest at heart and is trying his best, unfortunately his best isn't good enough to be the main man at United. Very similar to his playing career tbh.

In all honesty I think a lot of posters overplay his managerial ability because of his career with us.
His best isn't good enough? How can a fan say that of any manager that is top of the league without a big name signing in the summer.

It begs the question if after watching successful managers such as Mourinho and Van Gaal fail and watching Ole, who's rebuilding the club, has net spent less than 200m and has us top of the league, and he isn't good enough, who the hell is? Even if Ole had been a Liverpool legend, I'd still be giving him my backing. He's very clearly progressing the club.

Reactions: Solius

Tallis

I haven’t really understood why fans have been so negative about Ole’s management so far even when it’s been evident that we have been making progress. Yes - he got some financial support from the club since he came but then almost all the top 6 clubs have spent toimprove as well. And it would be reasonable to say that we were in deeper sh** as compared to other clubs when he began.

So I wonder what’s going on? Do our fans just have unreasonable expectations of what can happen in a short period of time or has the media been successful in painting a picture that Ole is not competent and must be removed.

PaulScholes99

His best isn't good enough? How can a fan say that of any manager that is top of the league without a big name signing in the summer.

It begs the question if after watching successful managers such as Mourinho and Van Gaal fail and watching Ole, who's rebuilding the club, has net spent less than 200m and has us top of the league, and he isn't good enough, who the hell is? Even if Ole had been a Liverpool legend, I'd still be giving him my backing. He's very clearly progressing the club.
You quoted a post of November 4th. Don't remember us being top of the league after our 1-0 loss to Arsenal.

Dve

While I agree with your assessment and have been backing Ole all the way, I don´t think it´s fair to quote someone out of context. We were not top of the league back then.

Olecurls99

I haven’t really understood why fans have been so negative about Ole’s management so far even when it’s been evident that we have been making progress. Yes - he got some financial support from the club since he came but then almost all the top 6 clubs have spent toimprove as well. And it would be reasonable to say that we were in deeper sh** as compared to other clubs when he began.

So I wonder what’s going on? Do our fans just have unreasonable expectations of what can happen in a short period of time or has the media been successful in painting a picture that Ole is not competent and must be removed.
Both of those things. A lot of fans have been taken in by certain elements of the media who have absolutely no desire of United returning to form. Quite the opposite it would seem. There seems to be what I would call United trolling going on in the mainstream media.

Some fans seem to expect us to go from 6th to 1st in 1 season. 6th to 3rd to 2nd and then 1st is unacceptable. I find these fans unbearable. They're a product of the Fergie years and can't remember or understand that it took Fergie 7 years to win the title.

1987 11th
1988 2nd
1989 11th
1990 13th "In September, United suffered a humiliating 5–1 away defeat against fierce rivals Manchester City. Following this and an early season run of six defeats and two draws in eight games, a banner declaring, "Three years of excuses and it's still crap ... ta-ra Fergie." was displayed at Old Trafford, and many journalists and supporters called for Ferguson to be sacked."
1991 6th
1992 2nd
1993 1st

Take note and have patience Ole outers

Olecurls99

You quoted a post of November 4th. Don't remember us being top of the league after our 1-0 loss to Arsenal.
My mistake. I wonder if the poster's opinion has changed since then.
My point still stands about fan fickleness and how such fickleness would have cost us our greatest era.
Stand by your manager. That's our motto

Last edited:

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
If you were a United fan through the 1990s or at Camp Nou on that magical evening in May of 1999, as I was , there is no way a failed managerial stint would ever taint Ole’s reputation as a player.

He was a game-changing player quite literally. Superb attitude and composure. When he came on, you just expected him to make something happen. He epitomised United’s reputation of simply winning no matter how badly the odds are stacked against you.

Denis' cuff

Both of those things. A lot of fans have been taken in by certain elements of the media who have absolutely no desire of United returning to form. Quite the opposite it would seem. There seems to be what I would call United trolling going on in the mainstream media.

Some fans seem to expect us to go from 6th to 1st in 1 season. 6th to 3rd to 2nd and then 1st is unacceptable. I find these fans unbearable. They're a product of the Fergie years and can't remember or understand that it took Fergie 7 years to win the title.

1987 11th
1988 2nd
1989 11th
1990 13th "In September, United suffered a humiliating 5–1 away defeat against fierce rivals Manchester City. Following this and an early season run of six defeats and two draws in eight games, a banner declaring, "Three years of excuses and it's still crap ... ta-ra Fergie." was displayed at Old Trafford, and many journalists and supporters called for Ferguson to be sacked."
1991 6th
1992 2nd
1993 1st

Take note and have patience Ole outers
steady on there. Remember where you are, amongst football manager geniuses with the perspective a goldfish.