If the super league happens, will you still support Man United? Now with added poll

If the super league happens, will you still support Man United?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Denis79

Isn't that how it was before top 4 became a thing? It's not as though domestic league football was rubbish back then?
Rubbish no, but the new system will be a huge step backwards for me. And even back then you had other tournaments you battled to qualify for even if you didn't win the league.

As I said I'll always support the club but if it kills the league mid season every other year I'll lose interest and spend my weekends doing something else than watching United unlike I do now.

RedDevilzFox

Bunch of drama queens on here with dramatic reactions all over the place. Football is football, UEFA or Super League.

Now we're going to sit down and pretend it hasn't been all about money for so along. When Italian clubs outbid everyone else and threw silly money around, then spanish ones and now english ones.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Rubbish no, but the new system will be a huge step backwards for me. And even back then you had other tournaments you battled to qualify for even if you didn't win the league.

As I said I'll always support the club but if it kills the league mid season every other year I'll lose interest and spend my weekends doing something else than watching United unlike I do now.
I don't disagree but I think A) this could be a threat to uefa rather than an actual thing and B) while it's a step back I don't see it as the end of the league football, as the top 4 trophy is a new development and I'm sure the league would still be excellent about CL qualification (EL will exist).

rotherham_red

Yes. I'm completely against the ESL but I'm too far gone into supporting United to act rationally and boycott them. Hard to say for sure what the fallout from all this will be and how that affects the love of football/United years down the line though.
This pretty much chimes with my thoughts. I think the only red line for me would be if the Saudis or MBS bought us cos the hatred I have for that set of cnuts is just too much for me to bear.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
I thought their website looked pretty stylish so I changed my mind. I'll be looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Also this will probably motivate the Glazers to invest a bit so we don't look like a complete joke in there.
Or it will motivate them to do less as theres no reason to try anymore. Cant get kicked out, and will still get a huge payday for coming in dead last. The glazers are Americans after all. The next step after this will be to franchise us, and move us around to wherever has the best deals and incentives.

MattJ166

This could be one of the biggest nails in a coffin that is Manchester United, since I moved away from England I've found it increasingly hard to get up and watch United (they're usually around 3:00 AM here in Malaysia) for varying reasons (Style of play, not challenging, work the next day etc). The dismantling of the premier league might just do it for me and a lot of United fans in Asia, as what is the point of us getting up at 3:00 am if all we're fighting for is the 'top 4' which will mean diddly squat with this new SL.

Sad day for football.

Denis79

I don't disagree but I think A) this could be a threat to uefa rather than an actual thing and B) while it's a step back I don't see it as the end of the league football, as the top 4 trophy is a new development and I'm sure the league would still be excellent about CL qualification (EL will exist).
When I say kill the league I don't mean it literally, everything I wrote is from a personal, selfish point of view. I need the game to matter if I am to really care. I'm not a person who pumps the fist if we score in a friendly, hell sometimes I even miss the half the pre season, simply because the games don't matter.

If the league only matters if you can win it, rest is only about pride. More often than not we'll be playing "friendlies" by the end of the season every year we don't challenge. Knowing myself, I know I'll lose interest.

Valencia Shin Crosses

United is still the club I'd support.

The issue is that I'd be less interested in football generally, so I'd watch and be invested in it (and therefore United) less and less.

This has happened for periods in the past, such as when we were playing dire football under Mourinho and LVG. I didn't stop being a supporter, I just found I had better things to do with my time than actually watch our games. This would be like that, but more permanent.

After all, I already support other teams in other sports. I also have other things I enjoy beyond football. This one particular sport and team isn't entitled to a monopoly on my time and attention. Football would become what a sport like rugby is for me now, something I'm interested in but just not near as much.
This is similar to how I feel. I'm not going to turn against the club, but I really don't know if I would have the same level of interest as I do currently. Not to mention all of the conflicting reports currently and how that might affect the players at the club.

Basically if this really happens then football is done as we know it. But I'm also extremely skeptical that this will have complete follow through. It's a complete power play on both sides over money, and if this were to happen I tend to think neither entity would come out better at all. It's a stand off currently, so let's see how it develops in coming days.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yes but it'll feel empty. Regardless of how corrupt or money driven it all is right now... you are still competing for the European Cup, the Premier League trophy in a very similar format that is still based on merit as it's been for decades. So much history in everything. The trophy that Best, Law and Charlton lifted, etc. Completely against the Super league, of course I'll support United but it'll be empty. You can bet your ass that they'll leave the domestic leagues soon after too.

Champagne Football

World sport is always evolving and changing. Sometimes a sport starts to get stagnant and requires change. Snooker became stagnant for a while and they had to completely change the format to breath life back into it and it seems to have worked.

None of us can really be too critical of the Euro Super 12's idea until we actually see it happen over a season. It could turn out to be huge. Or it could flop. Clubs like Everton and Leicester will be sick because their whole long term plans revolves around trying to break into the top 4 of England, and then becoming a European force one day.

Gary Neville is sick because he has a long term plan to get Salford into the premier league and eventually even the Champions League, so his whole long term project with Salford now seems like a huge waste of time and money.

Lj82

This is not about Fifa and Uefa though, its about a clear lock out of other clubs. Saying its fine that 10th place Arsenal can never miss out on Europes biggest competition because feck Uefa is ridiculous. Wanna bin Uefa and Fifa do it properly, make teams earn their spot in the ESL, not hand it to them. That won't be done though because Leicester or Napoli or Sevilla might eventually piss on a "big" clubs qualification. Imagine if the PL brought in a rule that 15 of its 20 clubs couldn't be relegated. Whats the point for the other 5, finish 1st to 5th and 3rd 4th and 5th still go down because the worse teams have immunity?
This is exactly the problem! Well said! The ESL is essentially a closed and exclusive league for rich clubs. It removes the sporting aspect from the sport, and I really question what will be left of it.

A big problem for me would be the loss of interest in the PL (if we're still in it) rather than a lack of interest in the SL.

It's fine if we're actually competing for the title but as soon as we're not the league doesn't mean anything any more (because who cares about finishing 4th rather than 5th?). Also there's no longer a general race for CL places for me to be interested in either. At that point why would I spend my weekend watching the PL?

Even with the SL, it's not like I'm already watching every CL game as is as there are time constraints during the week. Even if the SL is perfectly entertaining sport, that shift from the main football I watch going from the weekend to mid-week is gonna see me watch less football.
And this too! I definitely won't follow the ESL. I probably would follow Utd in the premier league, but even that would not be the same as before anymore.

Over the last decade my interest in football has been waning bit by bit. This really could be the last straw that broke the camel's back. I love football passionately in my younger days. Have been plotting a pilgrim to Old Trafford to watch Utd play live since like forever. I even have some plans to do a PhD in the UK just so that I can move closer to Utd and be able to catch youth games as well. But I have learnt over the last few years that stopping to watch football or Utd is not as unthinkable as I once thought.

Chief123

Are you fecking kidding? They are literally awarding championships to murderous cnuts in the UAE and the clubs taking ownership back of their product is too far?

Seriously, a lot of you need to get a grip. UEFA and Fifa need to burn to the fecking ground and this may be the right start.

Make no mistake the premier league will kiss whoever’s arse they need to and it won’t be UEFA
Which championship is this?

MinGin

Football are all fecking done.

Why they don't use all fecking US sport rules in football!? Play 82 games, Play 7 games in a row with the same competitor in PAY-OFF
Then build the fecking football school to draft the players to play in the fecking SL.

The attractive of their fecking NFL and NBA cannot be competitive with the World Cup, Champions League, even in the domestic league. What the hell are they used that shite, no competition game rules to instead the attractive football match. Feck moneybags.

Do we really want to see us vs RM vs Juv every years until forever in a no relegate, closed loop league? No way for me, let's say goodbye to my club which supported almost 20years. Feck Glazers. Feck Capitalism.

It is the competition making the club to be GREAT. Not the club make the competition to be GREAT.

Well, it is great that i can save money to cancel sport TV channel and United shirt.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Of course. I've been a fan since 88. The European Cup changes all the time but this one pisses me off. I was outraged at one point today but once I found out the plan isn't to affect domestic game I was less so. To be honest I'd probably be mad if we were left behind.

When they kept expanding to protect big teams playing badly and started allowing the entire top 4 into Champions League it started to get very messy.

The Firestarter

I thought their website looked pretty stylish so I changed my mind. I'll be looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Also this will probably motivate the Glazers to invest a bit so we don't look like a complete joke in there.
You changed your mind because of a cool Web design?

el3mel

This is exactly the problem! Well said! The ESL is essentially a closed and exclusive league for rich clubs. It removes the sporting aspect from the sport, and I really question what will be left of it.

And this too! I definitely won't follow the ESL. I probably would follow Utd in the premier league, but even that would not be the same as before anymore.

Over the last decade my interest in football has been waning bit by bit. This really could be the last straw that broke the camel's back. I love football passionately in my younger days. Have been plotting a pilgrim to Old Trafford to watch Utd play live since like forever. I even have some plans to do a PhD in the UK just so that I can move closer to Utd and be able to catch youth games as well. But I have learnt over the last few years that stopping to watch football or Utd is not as unthinkable as I once thought.
I definitely do feel the same. I was starting to feel recently that following football was starting to become more like a job than a hobby, watching a match for United is becoming more like a duty I have do rather than 2 hours of mindless fun I look forward to in order to escape real life duties. Previously when I knew there was an important match to go on today, I used to prepare myself and try to finish everything else I have to be free when the match starts. I don't feel like this anymore.

This super league idea just seems like the final nail in the coffin for me, when it comes to being passionate about the sport. I will just keep watching United because I got used to, but any interest I still had for the sport or results will be dead for it. I really, really can't see myself being that interested in us winning this super league or whatever shit.

Last edited:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Of course. For me it's an unbreakable bond now.

Lj82

I definitely do feel the same. I was starting to feel recently that following football was starting to become more like a job than a hobby, watching a match for United is becoming more like a duty I have do rather than 2 hours of mindless fun I look forward to in order to escape real life duties. Previously when I knew there was an important match to go on today, I used to prepare myself and try to finish everything else I have to be free when the match starts. I don't feel like this anymore.

This super league idea just seems like the final nail in the coffin for me, when it comes to being passionate about the sport. I will just keep watching United because I got used to, but any interest I still had for the sport or results will be dead for it. I really, really can't see myself being that interested in us winning this super league or whatever shit.
I feel you. I hate it that I feel so dispassionate about football nowadays. It's really sad

Red_toad

100% remain a supporter after 40 plus years I could never let go! Just continue to not support our owners, as I find them very distasteful.

ariveded

Given, the glowing inequality between fans and clubs/players, its flimsy and pointless.

These big clubs/players are all big business who dont care about fans. So I dont really support them, but like them.

Just like I like “Apple products”, but I dont support them, while at the same time, can like their competitors for different things.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Nope. For me that's the end of the road. For a while now I've felt like our fans intelligence has been insulted. This no relegation nonsense would just be the end of the road for me.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yes, I will support the club. I won't have the same respect for the club but I will still support the club.

DuruttiColumn

Yeah, course I will. Salford born and bred and been going since 1986. In not going to stop supporting them just because the media tell me I should be outraged about about a European Super League

Reactions: Sultan
I don’t watch the same these days anyhow, City have mainly killed it for me, I watch no games aside from United and I probably miss about 40% of our games now also.
Something needed shaking up due to the U.A.E complete domination that we’re heading towards so I’m not gonna be the stroppy drama queen many are. Football changed with Roman, and the U.A.E takeover was the nail in the coffin of the “old way”.
Playing all the tops teams in Europe will be like 99 all over again, sounds interesting to me.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I’m not paying anymore than I already do for my “cable” (YouTube TV).
I refused to buy Peacock premium so will refuse to buy any other pay per view or premium TV service.
I’d imagine with the money the clubs are hoping to get that it will be premium access, right?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It's not that I'd quit supporting Liverpool per se, but I am considering simply quitting football all together. Could be a good thing.

Interval

Level
Will NOT if it stands on the current format.

In fact, I believe this proposal would have received an overwhelmingly positive response from fans IF the objective of the league was "UEFA are cnuts. We propose a better system to remove them from this entire process and have an INDEPENDENT body work for all clubs and fans."

The fact that they want debt money upfront while restricting who gets it because the clubs believe they can alienate fair competition by leveraging UEFA's unpopularity is wrong.

Sure, one can argue the decline started long ago with the advent of oil money. But man, make an effort to correct that. Dont make walls around these top clubs permanent. If anything, you could argue, that this suits the oil clubs. They got into the fold and now don't want to allow other clubs to benefit from outside illogical investment.

In a nutshell, best outcome would be if UEFA falls BUT for a system that is democratic and enables fair competition. They both don't need to be mutually exclusive