If the super league happens, will you still support Man United? Now with added poll

If the super league happens, will you still support Man United?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Borussia Teeth

I will always love and support Utd but I think this will make me move away from football, at least for a while.
I definitely won't be buying merch or subscribing to whatever channel/streaming service broadcasts the ESL. The leeches won't get another penny out of my pocket.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I will always love and support Utd but I think this will make me move away from football, at least for a while.
I definitely won't be buying merch or subscribing to whatever channel/streaming service broadcasts the ESL. The leeches won't get another penny out of my pocket.
same.
edit: and I've been supporting Utd since 1973. Through thick and thin and all that, but this feels different.

Last edited:

Lynty

Isn't there an argument that if you do that, you're still supporting the owners, as the advertisers are paying for eyeballs regardless?
Possibly, if your extra cynical.

But advertisers payments are based on viewing figures. Illegal streams are not included in these figures as they're impossible to quantify. So although the advertisers are gaining the benefit of reaching illegal viewers, the Super League is not.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
In what way sinchy?
I don't believe this many people can stop supporting the club, the team. I know I couldn't.

I have issues with this proposal like most others but the level of reaction seems a bit crazy to me.

The idea of an elite european league has been around for a very long time. I expect it to happen, eventually, in some form, and in the end it will probably be the best football competition available, and it genuinely could enlarge the game worldwide. Vital in my view that every club can get in it and every club could lose their place. Change that, and the thing changes dramatically. I don't really see why it can't just be an evolution of the CL, but I personally do not care particularly for either UEFA or FIFA, who have not governed the game well.

Also I remember not very dissimilar objections when the Premier League started and in the end you have to say that was successful.

Last edited:

Irwin99

Sorry but it's a sport based on merit and achievement so I'd have to say no. A few weeks ago i moaned about the prospect of a super league but said I'd probably end up watching it anyway. I have changed my mind. Also, we've known what kind of people Woodward/Glazers are but this is low even for them (reading Ed's behavior in all this is just ridiculous....just when you think he couldn't sink any lower :lol: )

I'd probably prefer it if the big six were relegated into the lower divisions for even contemplating this and causing such a scandal. This goes beyond tribalism, it's the life of the sport itself.

Jezpeza

For me its a no to the point i wont be subscribing to anything streaming their matches. Sky sports the lot. No merchandise. Stop buying tickets. Stop clicking facebook links.

will still follow us and watch the highlights etc on match of the day. Probably look at adopting a lower league greater manchester team to get that fix of watching a match.

the only way to vote is with your feet. If no one buys the super league games they will pack it in. They are assuming same subscription footfall as sky etc. Dont forget that theres no way people in the 3rd world etc will be paying £30 subscription monthly like we would. A big chunk of the revenue is obviously projected from the Uk, Spain, USA etc.

its all about money so the only way to stop it is by removing the money

passing-wind

Surprised it's taken this situation for many to realise how boring / unentertaining the sport is. Football needs a change because irrespective of some super league it's surely losing value due to how boring it is.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don't believe this many people can stop supporting the club, the team. I know I couldn't.

I have issues with this proposal like most others but the level of reaction seems a bit crazy to me.

The idea of an elite european league has been around for a very long time. I expect it to happen, eventually, in some form, and in the end it will probably be the best football competition available, and it genuinely could enlarge the game worldwide. Vital in my view that every club can get in it and every club could lose their place. Change that, and the thing changes dramatically. I don't really see why it can't just be an evolution of the CL, but I personally do not care particularly for either UEFA or FIFA, who have not governed the game well.

Also I remember not very dissimilar objections when the Premier League started and in the end you have to say that was successful.
I see it like brexit, a few going for it just because they don’t like UEFA and FIFA. But you enact change from within.

anyway, I for one am disgusted at the club and by that I mean the current owners and the current CEO. They’ve gone about the thing the wrong way with Ed sneaking around telling lies.

I can’t see they are in this any other way than for personal money. That’s why if this goes through I’m prepared to forget about United. I’m already the age where it feels like an effort anyway. But they won’t get me even streaming the new tournament. I believe in leagues and domestic cups. The glazers don’t

kerrygold

Supports
united
If this goes through as planned I’ll still follow the team but won’t spend any money on subscriptions etc

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I see it like brexit, a few going for it just because they don’t like UEFA and FIFA. But you enact change from within.

anyway, I for one am disgusted at the club and by that I mean the current owners and the current CEO. They’ve gone about the thing the wrong way with Ed sneaking around telling lies.

I can’t see they are in this any other way than for personal money. That’s why if this goes through I’m prepared to forget about United. I’m already the age where it feels like an effort anyway. But they won’t get me even streaming the new tournament. I believe in leagues and domestic cups. The glazers don’t
Well said mate.

Garethw

Surprised it's taken this situation for many to realise how boring / unentertaining the sport is. Football needs a change because irrespective of some super league it's surely losing value due to how boring it is.
I know that you aren’t being serious, but there are things that can be done to improve the “entertainment” factor without dropping a nuclear bomb on the domestic game.

A lot of Americans don’t understand how a 90 minute game can finish 0-0 or 1-0.

Making the goals physically bigger would surely sort that issue out. You’d get shit tons more long range worldies for a start. Or you could just chop every goalkeepers legs off at the knee for the same result :-)

RooneyLegend

Yup, don't care enough about Leicester or West Hams potential involvement to stop supporting my club.

RUCK4444

I voted yes. Only because I couldn’t physically support any other team than United.

I’ll probably have little to no interest and I’ll be nowhere near as emotionally invested in the club though.

Denis79

As soon as we fall behind in the title race there'll be nothing to play for, though. The same goes for the other 5 teams that want to join the super league. The fight for top 4 will be meaningless, the table will be a mess as the other 12 teams will be scrapping it out for the Champions League around teams that have automatic qualification for their closed shop league. The Premier League will cease to be the competition as we know it.
Anyone who thinks this won't affect the league hasn't really thought through the repercussions the Super-League will have.

RooneyLegend

Anyone who thinks this won't affect the league hasn't really thought through the repercussions the Super-League will have.
How so? Are you talking the banning of the biggest six clubs in the prem? That's just not gonna happen.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Given I fundementally disagree with the Super League on every level it would be hypocritical of me to then stand by and continue supporting the club. I love the club, have followed the club for almost 30 years but my principles are more important to me as a person. It's a decision every fan should take with no judgement either way as far as i'm concerned, i'm happy for those who will continue to follow and love the club and I feel devastated for those like me who feel like this is the last straw.

Dookingham United

If you need to have an intervention for someone you love, you take all the abuse and hatred that they have towards you, but even if that relationship can never be repaired, for the sake of that persons life you would do what needs to be done.

We need to do whatever is needed in order to save not just our club but football in it's entirety in England. That means for a period of time not watching matches, not buying merchandise, actively boycotting the sponsors of the clubs involved. We have all the power as long as we stand in solidarity against the all encompassing greed that has been revealed by these faceless business men.

Enigma_87

You know who
I'd definitely take a break supporting the club if they go with the decision. Owners actions are despicable and they are alienating from the fans not the other way around.

Can't see supporting another club, but if they do go with the decision it goes against the sport and everything football is about. The club should be punished for its actions and being the organizers in such a scheme goes above and beyond what I can swallow personally.

Denis79

How so? Are you talking the banning of the biggest six clubs in the prem? That's just not gonna happen.
As @Harry Harries wrote, If one of the six is not in the title race the PL games just become friendly fixtures for them, since finishing 2nd or 10th makes no difference. As a fan I'll know the game doesn't matter and couldn't care less about the result.

Last season it was exciting to the last round for us, with the new potential system I could have stopped watching the PL at round 30 since winning was impossible and the positions under don't matter. Without risk and reward football sucks.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
@B20 voting no :lol:

Convenient
In fairness I might well stop supporting Liverpool if this goes through.

Well, I think I'd basically just quit football, find something else to spend time on. A new chapter in life and all that.

Interval

Level
In fairness I might well stop supporting Liverpool if this goes through.
All in the same boat, brother. Might as well broadcast this thing over TikTok with Snapchat half time dressing room scenes. Seems to be leaving all of us behind.

TrustInOle

I would like to say no, as I appose the idea, but I doubt I could, United mean more to me than just a club, its family atmosphere when my grandad, uncle, nephews, and children all gather as one with our love for this great club!

What the owners, a couple of selfish, greedy businessmen decide to do has no affect on what United mean to me.

golden_blunder

Staff
I know that you aren’t being serious, but there are things that can be done to improve the “entertainment” factor without dropping a nuclear bomb on the domestic game.

A lot of Americans don’t understand how a 90 minute game can finish 0-0 or 1-0.

Making the goals physically bigger would surely sort that issue out. You’d get shit tons more long range worldies for a start. Or you could just chop every goalkeepers legs off at the knee for the same result :-)
Or take bloody VAR out off it and go back to seeing a bit of passion, players surrounding the ref, fans going nuts at perceived decisions
every rule change they’ve brought out has killed the game a bit more

golden_blunder

Staff
I would like to say no, as I appose the idea, but I doubt I could, United mean more to me than just a club, its family atmosphere when my grandad, uncle, nephews, and children all gather as one with our love for this great club!

What the owners, a couple of selfish, greedy businessmen decide to do has no affect on what United mean to me.
Well if you sit and watch this crap they serve up you’ve just bought into it

golden_blunder

Staff
Even if it doesn’t it will still have an effect. Saving your best players because you are playing a SL match in 2 nights time.it’s not fair for the genuine teams in the PL

RooneyLegend

As @Harry Harries wrote, If one of the six is not in the title race the PL games just become friendly fixtures for them, since finishing 2nd or 10th makes no difference. As a fan I'll know the game doesn't matter and couldn't care less about the result.

Last season it was exciting to the last round for us, with the new potential system I could have stopped watching the PL at round 30 since winning was impossible and the positions under don't matter. Without risk and reward football sucks.
Coaches get fired and players get sold for finishing 10th. Stop acting like before the top 4 stuff clubs were cruising to mediocrity.

TrustInOle

How would you support them if not by watching matches?
If by financial support, then no, I would not be buying merchandise, paying subscriptions or giving any gains towards the club. If the question meant personal support, then I know I would not be able to forget all interest in United.

Bosws87

I'd drop them tomorrow, football has been dying for years be it in the form of Manchester City's business model the premier league trying to force a 39th game in a random location in the world or the ridiculous cup scheme we season ticket holders are forced to sign up to just to watch the club we support.

I would move to a lower league club tomorrow and follow them home and away.

Garethw

Or take bloody VAR out off it and go back to seeing a bit of passion, players surrounding the ref, fans going nuts at perceived decisions
every rule change they’ve brought out has killed the game a bit more
So true pal. VAR has created more problems that it’s solved.

Jund

Of my own free will? I don't think so, but they will make me. I mean...come on...just picture it.

Two years into the SuperLeague. Saturday night. This is the fifth time this season we are facing Real Madrid. "Maybe I can skip this one, the previous four were kind'a boring. Eh, I'll hit the gym/theatre/whatever instead." And this will just be the start. Pretty soon I'll be skipping other games as well, 'till I completely phase out. Meanwhile I may actually get interested in other clubs and entirely forget about the League of the Extraordinarily Rich....

Denis79

Coaches get fired and players get sold for finishing 10th. Stop acting like before the top 4 stuff clubs were cruising to mediocrity.
You still qualified for other tournaments even back then. The top 4 battles made the PL better, this is raking huge steps back.

You honestly think the PL will retain the same excitement if this goes through?