If there are no transfers this month...

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Does it mean:

a) Nothing has changed, we are being taken for a ride and the club is still incompetent.

b) we still have a month left before the season and 2 before the end of the window, chill out

c) Some things have changed, not as fast as fans would like but a lot of underlying problems that have led to our failures post fergie still remain.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Option C as we didn't hired miracle workers, even though clearout is at some stage atm. Think ETH stunned new higher structure a bit with new ideas and Arnold & Murtough are simply trying to keep up.

Worries are always there and some are justified, but clearout commenced and there's no turning back from that. New personnel will have to take place of underperforming ones, this summer.

Thistlesoup

Option C as we didn't hired miracle workers, even though clearout is at some stage atm. Think ETH stunned new higher structure a bit with new ideas and Arnold & Murtough are simply trying to keep up.

Worries are always there and some are justified, but clearout commenced and there's no turning back from that. New personnel will have to take place of underperforming ones, this summer.

"He stunned them with new ideas"

Where are you getting this from? You don't believe they discussed any of his ideas prior to offering the job? What were the 'stunning' new ideas - sign some players and get rid of the trash?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

Where are you getting this from? You don't believe they discussed any of his ideas prior to offering the job? What were the 'stunning' new ideas - sign some players and get rid of the trash?
Solution to 10 years of human error and negligence is not all about signing players. We're past signing 'some' players for the sake of it, as you can see now.

Fixing culture of the club is happening even on social media team level. Getting into every little detail, from transforming training grounds for football needs in which case almost f*ck all happened during last era, to getting into psychological profile of players to get more efficient workrate & fitness. Instilling belief back in the squad is a task on it's own.

There's not that much of time before season starts to prepare team to play ETH's brand and it goes beyond deals, which of course could help, but it's just tip of the iceberg. There will be new ideas and decisions that will have to be made during pre-season tour, btw and that's quite lot of things to do in just one summer.

Sparky Rhiwabon

As long as all the new signings are in and integrated by the time pre season training starts, I’ll be happy.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Could be a, b or c depending on what happens in the following 2 months of the transfer window?

Trex

I expect the club to try and conclude priority signings before the 12th of July that should be the deadline for internationals to resume pre season and I think ETH would like to have a full house then.
So between now and then i expect say De jong, Eriksen and Antony deals. The rest would probably be after departures which may or may not happen.

Thistlesoup

Solution to 10 years of human error and negligence is not all about signing players. We're past signing 'some' players for the sake of it, as you can see now.

Fixing culture of the club is happening even on social media team level. Getting into every little detail, from transforming training grounds for football needs in which case almost f*ck all happened during last era, to getting into psychological profile of players to get more efficient workrate & fitness. Instilling belief back in the squad is a task on it's own.

There's not that much of time before season starts to prepare team to play ETH's brand and it goes beyond deals, which of course could help, but it's just tip of the iceberg. There will be new ideas and decisions that will have to be made during pre-season tour, btw and that's quite lot of things to do in just one summer.

Except no one is suggesting we sign players "for the sake of it". Man City can sign players for the sake of it. They've already practically got two quality elevens in their squad.

We have to sign players because half of ours are outright crap, or not quite up to it, and/or mentally suspect.

Signing players is a necessity.

You talk about ETH's supposedly stunning new ideas which caught the club unawares, and the only concrete thing you can mention is something about social media? I certainly hope he couldn't care less about social media, other than to tell the usual suspects that if any nonsense gets posted they'll be out the door.

UnitedFire

Option A...panicccc

I think we need to be real about this. We are woeful at removing deadwood. Yes someone like De Jong might take a little longer to bring in, but in the mean time how about having already lined up a bunch of deals to get rid of players.

Henderson on a loan with us paying most of his wages and a measly £20m at the end as an option is a disgrace.

Also how about getting some other business done and incorporating new players into a pre season so we have a fighting chance of actually integrating a playing style with our go forward playing squad.

Back round to De Jong. I know he might be something special, but we should be ruthless. Offer accepted or move on.

glasgow 21

Main stumbling block we all have to accept including Man Utd owners is a list of previous managers after Fergie have failed miserably to add value to any single player in situ or purchased. We have a hard pill to swallow with likes of Martial, awb, maguire, Bailly, Jones and Shaw. Excluding Jones that is 220million spent and lets be honest we would bite the hand of anyone wishing to part with near half of that. Anyhow, good luck to ETH, hope he has a good window to start turn this ship around in stormy waters.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Except no one is suggesting we sign players "for the sake of it". Man City can sign players for the sake of it. They've already practically got two quality elevens in their squad.

We have to sign players because half of ours are outright crap, or not quite up to it, and/or mentally suspect.

Signing players is a necessity.

You talk about ETH's supposedly stunning new ideas which caught the club unawares, and the only concrete thing you can mention is something about social media? I certainly hope he couldn't care less about social media, other than to tell the usual suspects that if any nonsense gets posted they'll be out the door.
Even such niggling detail like social media will have to be in line with what is club about, including ETH's new tone of football. If you look at how Pool's social media works now, you can see there's clear broadcast almost anti-defeatistic and it's exactly why their supporters look more unified under common goals of their club, while United's are all over the place, where everyone got different idea how to protest and react to certain events.

We have crap squad indeed, but now we have to sign players mainly because we just released six of them and another two or three can could be shipped. That automatically release pressure on Arnold & Murtough to sign players alone and the amount of things to do (not just only signings) is outright stunning to execute in just two months. If we make mistakes now in judgement, club will pay the price just like with former managers and Woodward. No pressure at all...

Not just long ago Arnold spoke they're working with Murtough long days to even get deals to some stage and there are still details preventing them to fully complete Frenkie deal.

They're not only stunned with football amount of targets ETH set for them in matter of just months, they're also flooded with work it must be done to keep up with the programme.

sunama

Baghdad Bob

If those are the ideas, they are failing at that.
They haven't managed to sell a single player. New signings will eventually arrive, but it's the sales that are of greater concern.
IMO nothing has changed and we are doing exactly as we have done for the last few years - attempt to sign big names to sell shirts, for big money on huge wages and keep substandard players at the club on huge wages.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It is possible for clubs to have transfer windows where little is happening and it's no big deal. It's not necessarily reflective of a club that is doing nothing. In United's case, that's exactly it. At this point I can't be confident in United's ability to improve in terms of marked strategy or decisiveness in the marked. The thing is, the time we lose in these transfer windows is time we don't get back. They guess they can just wait another 6 months and then fix the rest of it next window. But we don't do that, because at that point what we need to do is new business and the old business from 6 months ago is only reflecting lost opportunities.

Lingard, Pereira, Matic, Mata, Jones and a lot more should have been resolved and sold a long time ago now. McTominay is used as a reason to not invest. Mata is used as a reason to not invest. Jones too. Sick of it. These players is business that folks at the club are busy with STILL working on today, instead of doing I don't know, new signings to improve the club.

Sad but we can't get the time lost in these windows back, not without it hurting our football club.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Does it mean:

a) Nothing has changed, we are being taken for a ride and the club is still incompetent.

b) we still have a month left before the season and 2 before the end of the window, chill out

c) Some things have changed, not as fast as fans would like but a lot of underlying problems that have led to our failures post fergie still remain.
Definitely B, but I'm old school. I want us to sign the best players for the best prices and if that means waiting a few extra weeks for someone who could be here for 5 years then so be it.

Yes it would be lovely to have a full and firing squad for the entire pre-season, but for me that's secondary to the strength of player that we actually bring in.

buckooo1978

Ideally we would have been really decisive and ETH would have the additions we want in place before the players return given the early start to the season

If ETH isnt happy its up to him to take it to Murtough and Co

I think getting the right players at the right price is essential. We will have to compromise to an extent but we want the club run properly. Buying 3rd choice players or paying over well over the odds isnt productive for us moving forward.

if we are still having this conversation in 3 weeks Id be concerned

Abraxas

Seems a bit of a pointless question. The end of the month is just an arbitrary point in time. Why would we start to form judgment on the state of our recruitment at this stage? What possible logic is there for that?

Just let it play out. At the end we'll know who we have bought, who we have let go, and exactly when we have bought them. Then you can appraise the situation. Is buying someone in the first week good if they're unappealing? Is it bad if you get all the main targets but it takes the length and breadth of the window? Well, when we know the details and the preseason picture you can actually put these pieces together instead of just guessing.

choccy77

Thing is, if transfers in are dragging, we should be doing everything to get the the players out and clear the rubbish out ASAP.

But no, we can't even do that.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Thing is, if transfers in are dragging, we should be doing everything to get the the players out and clear the rubbish out ASAP.

But no, we can't even do that.
We released six first team players this month.

We all know that the players on contracts will be harder to shift thanks to Woodward and Judge's value protection bonanza.

Once we start moving some of them many will complain that we didn't get enough of a fee for them.

It's no win for the club.

choccy77

We released six first team players this month.

We all know that the players on contracts will be harder to shift thanks to Woodward and Judge's value protection bonanza.

Once we start moving some of them many will complain that we didn't get enough of a fee for them.

It's no win for the club.
We didn't release anyone, their contracts ended or they quit.

It's the players who should not be here but are, are the huge problem.

United Offered Baily to Newcastle apparently for around £8m and they said no thanks.... Teams are not desperate enough to buy our deadwood.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
We didn't release anyone, their contracts ended or they quit.

It's the players who should not be here but are, are the huge problem.

United Offered Baily to Newcastle apparently for around £8m and they said no thanks.... Teams are not desperate enough to buy our deadwood.
The club literally lists them as released. https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/man-utd-announce-retained-list-for-2022-as-11-players-released

We can split hairs as much as you want to suit the negative outlook but the fact remains six players have left and most fans didn't want them here any more.

More departures will be good but it's early doors. People need to relax. Get outside, live a little. There are plenty of months to bitch and moan ahead.

the_cliff

I'd be worried if we enter July with no signings tbh. Especially when we need 5 in and the season starting early.

Will Singh

If we don’t sign someone for our CM before pre season then yes it’s time to panic. CM is a crucial position which has to take priority and our players need to get used to playing with a proper CM so need that pre season too…

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Seems a bit of a pointless question. The end of the month is just an arbitrary point in time. Why would we start to form judgment on the state of our recruitment at this stage? What possible logic is there for that?

Just let it play out. At the end we'll know who we have bought, who we have let go, and exactly when we have bought them. Then you can appraise the situation. Is buying someone in the first week good if they're unappealing? Is it bad if you get all the main targets but it takes the length and breadth of the window? Well, when we know the details and the preseason picture you can actually put these pieces together instead of just guessing.
Players return for training in about a week so it's not just an arbitrary point. It would also mark a third of the window gone without a single sale or buy. Obviously the quality of the signing has nothing to do with the date they are bought but no concrete deals completed when we have a lot to do this summer is why I posed the question.

Frank Grimes

I expect the club to try and conclude priority signings before the 12th of July that should be the deadline for internationals to resume pre season and I think ETH would like to have a full house then.
So between now and then i expect say De jong, Eriksen and Antony deals. The rest would probably be after departures which may or may not happen.
Never knew the Glazers were members of the Orange Order, learn something new every day.

themanguydude

Casually discussing is one thing, actually fleshing out and implementing these ideas is another.

And I highly doubt he was doing the latter while he was still Ajax competing in a title race.

Roboc7

I don’t think a huge amount has changed. I guess they are struggling to get deals done as people responsible are inexperienced and they’ve made promises to the manager but have a tight budget to fulfill those promises.

No need to panic as we will get players in sooner or later, players will leave but mostly on loan. Selling players will continue to be a problem as we’ll continue to pay high wages for new signings and contract renewals.

Lentwood

Does it mean:

Rome wasn't built in a day, it takes time to turn around failing processes.

Other clubs, like Liverpool for example, have the illusion of acting quickly but actually they famously work two or even three windows ahead and have long lists of targets drawn up - so that they can move quickly and decisively when one of those targets becomes available.

We're still only a few weeks into our new regime. This window was always going to be tricky in that respect because it will take time to identify the right targets. Hopefully we should start to see a faster, more efficient approach to windows from next Summer onwards.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
It's so funny how some caffers overreact and are desperate already. How do you do in you everyday life and its matters, how can you handle life overall? :D

UpWithRivers

The proof will be the end of next season. If we sign players how good are they, on performance did we need more or different players etc. Even if we sign no one and say we trust the squad to turn it around then prove it. Even if we sign 3 seemingly top players it doesn't mean anything until they do it on the pitch. See Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo and look where that got us.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I've obviously given up hope of a title challenge and am pretty sure we won't finish in the top four (at least two of these slots are taken and probably three) so it would be nice if I could at least start enjoying watching United again next season. So many games last year almost destroyed my love for the club

Gurtej

I've obviously given up hope of a title challenge and am pretty sure we won't finish in the top four (at least two of these slots are taken and probably three) so it would be nice if I could at least start enjoying watching United again next season. So many games last year almost destroyed my love for the club
Come on now….. how can you lose hope of top 4 already….No certainty but a chance!!

If we finish 80% of our business before pre season, we have a chance assuming we have a good coach which in my view we do…

A lot of people giving Chelsea a free ride, their new manager honeymoon period is over and technically they haven’t bought anyone yet as well!!

I think spurs has a better chance of finishing top 4 over Chelsea as things stand now!!

justsomebloke

I'm not overly fussed that things aren't happening immediately. It's still early, and we're in a situation where we have a new manager who has not yet been able to interact with the squad.

If we're looking for bad signs, how about this though: All of the players we are actively pursuing come out of Ajax under EtH (or in Eriksens case, trained with them). Evidently, the list of options is down to players EtH knows directly. Is the confidence in the club's scouting department now so non-existent that they've simply been more or less shunted out of the process? If so, maybe there are good reasons for that and maybe there aren't, but in either case it's cause for concern.

Of course, familiarity with EtHs system and so on makes these players extra attractive, but there's a difference between that and focusing solely on players with that background. But while there are lots of rumours about other players, the only ones where there seems to have been concrete initiatives from United are Timber, Martinez, Antony, De Jong and Eriksen. That looks like more than just the tendency of the media to jump at the Ajax link?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Just imagine if Woodward hadn't stuck around after the whole European Super League thing like a ghostly skunk with his arse pointed at our employment strategy. Arnold might have actually had time to make all these changes way before the summer. Probably wouldn't have made much difference mind but would have at least been nice to be rid of him sooner.